PDA

View Full Version : Old NS crayola yellow. Is it good for anything?

Mr. Smiley
08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I just found a fat bundle of old NS crayola yellow. Is it good for stick stacks? If so, I'll bring it to AGI with me... unless it's some sort of special batch and it's better for something else. If it's no good, I'll leave it here. Any advise would be appreciated. I've stayed away from cadmium colors... Thanks :D

The Bigles
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Stayed away completely!? That's pretty limiting. How old?

It's probably no good. You should send it to me.

Mr. Smiley
08-12-2005, 03:25 AM
It's probably 5 years old. That's just a guess... I'm really bad with time. I got it when I bought Chills equipment... whenever that was. I'll bring it to AGI and we can have fun with it. I haven't messed with the cadmiums, because I really haven't had a reason to. I hope to learn some non boiling tricks at AGI though. ;)

IrieGuy05
08-12-2005, 06:00 AM
If their thick enougth use them as punty rods, I use crayon 2nds as punty rods when I'm low on clear.

Mr. Smiley
08-12-2005, 06:28 AM
That may be the best option... If they don't work out at AGI for something... they're punties. :D

Utopian Brain
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I like to throw on a little gather of clear onthe end. then those things last forever, i just use my 2 inch 12 mil scraps and gather a little clear on the end, presto i then have a whole squad of puntys.

personally, i dont know wahts wrong with them, i havent used crayola in a whilebut i did combine og yellow with acid yellow and rasta gold once to make one bright fucking headdie. its kinda fun seeingthat wide a spectrum ofy yellow

Mr. Smiley
08-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I haven't ever done a stick stack. This shit may look nice. It sure is bright enough. It just boils like crazy when the flame hits it. We can try it out. Thanks for the tips guys! :D

PyroChixRock
08-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Why don't you just throw it in a stick stack and make a tube outta it? The flame won't ever touch the yellow so it won't bubble, it'll be perfect and then you don't have to waste it. ;) There's a few posts around here, search for stick stack in the general forum.

PalisadeGlassGallery
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Pull stringers with it by sliding em int o 9 or 12 mm standard wall incasing each as ya pull/// Its great for inside work on light stuff next to dark blues and greens.. othewise it just will probly bubble like heck..

jiminyrootkit
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
i second the stickstack vote.
the very end where you tack the rods together/into the handle may boil, but you can keep it to a minimum. after it's inside the sleeve it's all downhill from there
-f

Mr. Smiley
08-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks all. It's coming with me to AGI... along with a bunch of other stuff. I can't afford to buy all new when I get there, so I'm packin it up. I guarantee they look through my cooler at the airport. I'll just give myself extra time... I hope they don't need to test my clear frit. I'll try to look untweeker. :D

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 05:39 AM
If its shitty crayon 2nds or old crayons it might not have the density to hold up and you'll end up with faded yellow lines.

Mr. Smiley
08-13-2005, 08:16 AM
It's firsts... It's just an old formula... it's worth a shot! ;)

J Howard
08-13-2005, 09:55 AM
the original versions of canary have additions of coe 51 glass in it. for the most part it was ok, but in some applications and occasions, it failed horribly (wicked cracking). this color alone began the reformulations that improved the bulk of the NS line, leading to my favorite improvements: forest green and cherry

before you guys rip into that stuff, test some on an inside out piece with big fat curly q's

Mr. Smiley
08-13-2005, 10:13 AM
the original versions of canary have additions of coe 51 glass in it. for the most part it was ok, but in some applications and occasions, it failed horribly (wicked cracking). this color alone began the reformulations that improved the bulk of the NS line, leading to my favorite improvements: forest green and cherry

before you guys rip into that stuff, test some on an inside out piece with big fat curly q's

Will do. Thanks. ;)

mountainflame
08-13-2005, 05:30 PM
You may have Glass alchemy Crayon Yellow. It is richrer and more opaque than Northstar canary yellow. I had pretty good luck encasing it with a mellow, almost reducing flame with 3 mil rod. once it is encased you can usually work it without too much bubbling. The newer stuff is better, but the old stuff still works ok. I was happy as a clam when that stuff came out, even if it was bubbly. I have also heared good things about using a piece of tube to encase the color rod, but I tend to get more bubbles that way.