PDA

View Full Version : This rocks!!!

jboatman333
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
This is awesome!! Wonder how the light part is mounted in there? Anyways just thought this was cool!
http://www.glassartists.org/Images/FullSize/000059000/Img59321_aug2005_162.jpg

timinny420
08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
sick

chayes
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
thats the coolest lamp i've ever seen

Mr. Smiley
08-12-2005, 03:46 AM
That's sweet. The lamp has a very long threaded nipple running from the base up through the stem. It's got lock nuts on both ends, to secure it in place... then the light bulb assembly just screws on to that, with the cord running through the middle of the threaded nipple and out the side near the bottom. You can but the whole kit at a lighting store or just pull apart an old lamp and use those pieces. I've never made one, but I've taken lamps apart. ;)

Utopian Brain
08-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow the fire is lit, thats a concerted effort rightt here. ive been too damn lazy to go the extra step and dturn one of my vases in to a lamp. but now there is more prssure on, keep it up guys. some soft glass blowers are getting upwards of 9,000 dollas for their shits. once these delta mags come out we're gonna have to come up with a shirt in the old time classic mob scene motif
" mob of lamers with their huge torches, goggles and backpack oxygen /propane setups like the ghostbusters, Crowd of soft glass blowers running with their puntils in the air(like HEEELLLLLP their PISSED) ..
Hahaahaha, no offense meant to any softglass blowers, but you know your time has come, youre gonna have to share that wealth pretty soon

Aumshakti
08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
just awesome!

in regards to wiring....you run a threaded rod through the body with the cord inside of it....you lock both sides with a light unit and a washer bolt combo on.

it would look so cool with four sheets of texture glass (bullseye or sumthing) foiled and soldered into a shade....ahhh just tripping!

slinger
08-12-2005, 01:36 PM
sorry to be negative, but i think that lamp is goddam ugly! looks like a hippie vomitted all over it. I just dont like that style, where's the negative space or or a little restraint on the use of colour. Sure that looked good as a bubbler in 1995, but as a lamp, i think its booty.

bc
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
well put sliger. love the idea, the werk is all over the place 'like in 1995' still kewl though.

slinger
08-12-2005, 01:42 PM
ive seen way classier boro/flameworked lamps from Eugene Rain and Pedro Smiley.

dnug42
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
"thats so 1995"....ahhahahahahahahahahahahaha
that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!
YOU GUYS ARE JUST TOO KEWL FOR SCHOOL........
well i guess they should jus donate it to good will? right?
gmab man

Aumshakti
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
ummm hippy puke!

glasshole
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
actually it was made for a gallery owner who told me "the Los Angeles market had gone 'stale' with solid colored stuff" and that he wanted stuff like "1995"! soooo......YES! I have achieved the goal....the shade has been replaced......thanks your "criiticisim" is MOST appreciated.....all my other stuff was soooo stale....I think 1995 was AWESOME!!!

Aumshakti
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
makes good soup

bc
08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
'criticism', well constuctive. all over the place is how I would describe most werk from that era so yeah bro, you did get some compliments. My well put slinger compliment was mostly on the contrasting issue, no harsh feelings bro.

I'm never 2 kewl fer skool.

IrieGuy05
08-12-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm with slinger its total booty, the marbs are ugly and the whole thing is just funky, in a bad way. I was going to mention it last night but I thought I'd let it go. I really can't beleive someone bothered to put that thing together into a lamp.

Mr. Smiley
08-13-2005, 04:35 AM
It wouldn't match my living room, but I definitely think it's cool. Run with the idea and fuck what everybody else thinks. The most important critic of your work is you. If it sells, it's a bonus. Too many people jump on the fucking "what's hip right now" train and try to call themselves artists. They ignore any voice inside to twist out the newest technique. If this is what you want to make, make it!

bc
08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
the marbs are ugly and the whole thing is just funky, in a bad way. I was going to mention it last night but I thought I'd let it go. I really can't beleive someone bothered to put that thing together into a lamp.

dood, pretty harsh considering it did take some skill to put that together, so I would chill on the harshness, especially if I couldn't dupilicate what I was commenting on. That pipe that chick made in that other thread is nothing compared to this an you said she was better than you, so............

bc
08-13-2005, 08:43 AM
not saying you gotta be a great glassblower to comment either.

chayes
08-13-2005, 08:49 AM
at second look i still think it is cool as hell. guess i'm stuck in the ninties

glasshole
08-13-2005, 08:58 AM
thank you all....its actually been my DREAM since 1992.....handmade shades and bulbs coming soon.....BTW...the socket is hand-blown, no threaded pole...just threaded socket fits in....this lamp is #8.....and as far as the taking over the "soft-glass big dollars" I am only asking $750...its 15.5 inches blown glass.....not including shade.....4 x 2.2 inch marbles and 4 layers of work...you really gotta be 6 inches close to see it all......next lamp is going to be the MOMKA of them all......

timinny420
08-13-2005, 09:38 AM
can we get some better pics - i wish i could make something like that - its awsome

nickglassdood
08-13-2005, 10:19 AM
dood 95 was a pretty rockin year tho shit that was ten years ago

Greymatter Glass
08-13-2005, 12:51 PM
'95 ROCKED...

but that aside.... it looks like a pipe made into a lamp. It's well constructed, and I'm not gonna knock on anyone for uppiung the scale of their work...but....

I know I wouldn't pay $750 for that. I have paid $500 for a glass lamp, soft glass, that was maybe 1/5th the time involved and 1/10th the material value. Is this your first lamp?

Also, you say the socket is glass.....how's the elctricity get to the bulb? Maybe it's just a terminology gap, if so maybe you can clarify what you by socket? To me, the ONLY thing on a lamp that can be called a socket is wheree the lamp screws in. That pretty much has to be made of metal, at least on the contact parts.

I saw a really nice lamp @ GWP in '03 that was wigwagged, but not pipelike at all. I don't recall the price, buti think it was around $600. I agree with the above comment about a lack of negative space. Lamp posts are an art form, and well... a straight up no-frills post is kind of generic, no matter what color it is. I think a clear, but intrecatly worked base would be better than a perfectly straight multi-color pipestock post...that's just opinion tho...dont take it personally.

All in all a decent attempt, but don't dismiss the valid critique among the flamers, I think you have a few more to make before you can come in here with the additude you have. You're not a master lamp maker, but you've made more than most of the poeple commenting here have I'd bet.... just take it all with a grain of salt man.

Anyways, looks ok, make another one or 2 or 20.

-Doug

p.s. FWIW it's about the 4th coolest lamp I've seen, 3rd coolest made out of boro.... just could use a bit more work all the way up that post.

3 rip min
08-13-2005, 01:17 PM
i think people just have personal problems with glasshole... i think the lamp is sweet... busy, maybe but its still a cool lamp...

one thing is for sure, he has is own style and no one can knock that...(from what i know he has been doing pipes like that for a long time).... people that dog someones style should post their own style and we can all compare.. lol..

chayes
08-13-2005, 01:30 PM
would it be cooler if it were all wigwags and galaxy marbles? why was some thing so cool back in 95 but now its not. i like all styles. not just what happens to be the rage right now.

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
It would be cool if it was made with a simple elegant color scheme, like cobalt tube and white. You don't have to get all pissed cause some people don't care for it. I've never made any lamps at all but I still know what I like and don't like.

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 01:57 PM
BTW its not a grudge against arik

slinger
08-13-2005, 02:42 PM
first off, its funny how people are so scared or peeved by a little criticism where it is rightly deserved. I know who made this piece, not personally, but i have seen some of Arik's work over the years, and when i saw this lamp posted on Ga.org i could tell who's style it was. I dont think the style is totally wack, i think it was sick for back in the day, and i think it was appropriate for pipes. I think Arik has a lot of skill and i know he was a pioneer back in the day in Oregon and was a very influential glassblower. Some highly respected pipers ive had the pleasure of working with over the years have told me stories of Arik and how hes a real great lamper.

OK, now that i got the respect issue out of the way, i still do NOT like that lamp. What i dont like about it is what i dont like about lots of pipe work, especially from back in the day, specifically the use of too many colours without restraint that ends up totally clashing. Also the mish mash of dots, lines, spirals, and patterns is way to much for me; overkill. The shape of the main post is so sterile, just a long post that isnt even totally even or straight. Personally i wish it was shaped more, or if the shape was minimal that it had a more elegant flow. The marbles at the base just seem added on all over the place, i dont see a rhyme or reason. I personally think the piece could be stronger with a little more planning and premeditation. This is all just my opinion and it doesnt mean shit. But im not afraid to be honest, and i know that with my own work ive learned alot more from people's criticism then just by people patting me on the back.

Doug, the wig wagged lamp you saw @ GWP was one of Pedro Smiley's. I agree that he managed to use some techs that we recognize in pipes but with a flow that suited the lamp and didnt make it look like a bubbler can with a lamp shade on it.

Furthermore, criticizing this work as an older style doesnt mean i was advocating him to make full colour wig wags with blinger marbles. That overdone aesthetic is just as wack. As soon as i can get a few more digital pics i will post a bunch of examples of my work so you all can critique my style, so that i can continue to talk shit about your style; this is how we all truly grow as artists and craftsman.

chayes
08-13-2005, 03:23 PM
its all good.

glasshole
08-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree with Slinger....it has a "binger with a bulb" look to it....I am fixing that with my next design....I am trying a NEW market with these designs, and every input I can get is appreciated....this particular piece was supposed to be "stoner retro" looking....and the socket is designed for a bare metal female to thred into it, so the bulb can thread into the female...

ART IS MEANT TO DISTURB......

I am flattered that anyone even cares enough to comment....... :D

slinger
08-13-2005, 04:24 PM
well if "stoner retro" was the goal, you achieved it. My first kneejerk reaction was that it looked like (one of your) bubblers circa 95.

:smokin:

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah I was going to say something about it being art cause it was stiring people up and making them talk, somewhat.

Aumshakti
08-13-2005, 04:55 PM
"stoner retro"
thats a riot!

in reality if you think back when van gogh was around.....theres some retro for ya.....do you really think anyone enjoyed his pallete? or the tea he was ingesting for that matter?

i also feel like our perspective is completely biased when it come to art glass....the "uneducated eye" will admire that piece for being what it is....an art lamp, not any conotations to smoking accesories whatsoever....rigth?

i personally love the base area...it has so much adventure ocurring....very interactive....
the stock does get me dizzy...but i like dizzy! I do feel that with glass less is more, there's so many techiniques to explore...its nice to see another type of functional art glass out there.

i wish i still had some patchworked pants and patchouly....i'd be living a stoner retro day! swinging some clinton art or snoddy.....

one question though....werent there a lot less colors back in 95? i 'member my first ns sample pack....my god was it drab. and that was 97.

slinger
08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
i also feel like our perspective is completely biased...

all perspectives are biased. :D

Mr. Wonka
08-13-2005, 05:22 PM
The appreciation of "art" (however you define that term) is like the old saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". For instance- I think Picasso's paintings are crap, but there are lots of collectors that pay millions to own an original piece of his work and think he's the greatest artist in history.

It's funny how that piece is deemed "sooo 1995"....didn't all of our current techniques evolve from the past? if you look at a wrap and rake perfume bottle, do you think "that's sooo 199_", or do you think "that's soooo 3rd century b.c."? It probably depends if you're comparing it to pipe techniques which are fairly new, as opposed to glass art in general.

With that in mind, the next time you see a well executed Venetian goblet, just say "Dude...that's soooo 16th century"

Some people love the lamp, others hate it. Either way it looks like it was a lot of fun to make :)

slinger
08-13-2005, 05:26 PM
pipemaking is like hip hop, 10 years ago is like a long time ago :D

Mr. Wonka
08-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I hear ya Slinger :) hip-hop isn't bad as computers. I'm having one built for me and asked to have my removable hard drive installed on the new one. My friend said, "removable hard drive.....that's soooo 1999" :lol

Aumshakti
08-13-2005, 06:21 PM
i'm sooo 1968!

Aumshakti
08-13-2005, 06:23 PM
i wish i could trade this model in!

glasshole
08-13-2005, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=slinger]I know who made this piece, not personally, but i have seen some of Arik's work over the years, and when i saw this lamp posted on Ga.org i could tell who's style it was. .................... I think Arik has a lot of skill and i know he was a pioneer back in the day in Oregon and was a very influential glassblower. Some highly respected pipers ive had the pleasure of working with over the years have told me stories of Arik and how hes a real great lamper.

QUOTE]

WOW...thanks!....actually I believe its more my schizo-bipolarism that the stories were about, but sometimes the story of the artist is "part of the art".
to be recognized is an achievment in its own.......to be criticized is the goal....

I am still quite timid behind the torch, and to have anything at all survive is an accomplishment to me, when I posted this lamp, I didn't think anyone would even look...

bc
08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
see. now this is a kewl thread. I think I like the idea of saying, hey perhaps I'll make something 1998ish, or 2001ish or 1994ish. It's all good. Like tom said, bet it was fun making.

slinger
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
i made a couple of 1998ish spoons the other day for fun. i thought they were fugly, but the shop bought em. goddamit now Arik's lamp is growing on me thinking about the ol skool..... im an old skooler at heart.

burnoutboy
11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
nice job on the lamp, Arik. By the way, I have always been a fan of "GLASSHOLE"'s work. glad you got your stuff all together, dude.