PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys kill the spam in VB?

Udai Hussien
07-02-2007, 04:17 AM
I just set up a VB, and I had no spam to 20 to 60 Spams a day. I saw this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124828

any thoughts?

Mike_Aurelius
07-02-2007, 04:59 AM
My server doesn't support image processing, so I can't use the signup image test, so I rely on moderating all new users: I have to approve each one.

The interesting thing is that it is fairly easy to find the spammers:

99% of them set their time zone to -12 GMT Eniwetok, Kwajalein, so if you set your default time zone to, say Eastern time, and the new user sets it to -12, you have a spammer.

Then, look at the user names, after a few weeks or so, it becomes pretty obvious you have a spammer when you have a name like vi*gra4u, or uses an email address that starts 33edkdngfxidhdh@somewhere.com.

I've got a list of domain names that I've keyed into the banning options that are known spammers: @cashette.com @dictionary-helpster.info @mail.ru @search-line.com .ru @topmeds20.org @gawab.com gala.net inmail .biz .info zyll.net gmail.com .by pozitifff.com incesttrade.com .ua .nu bigmir.net .us @ua ukr .lv mymail.org e-mail.com e-mail.net whyza.net gmail.net xmail.com email.com email.net @itemnum @freestuff mymail.com @peugeot @mytop

but for every one I ban, 3 more new ones turn up. This last week was really bad...

Udai Hussien
07-02-2007, 05:20 AM
all of mine appear to be Russian. The volume of people signing up, it's impossible to approve them all.

Greymatter Glass
07-02-2007, 08:12 AM
My server doesn't support image processing,

time to find a new server.

My $12 a year service provides PHPbb, NUKEscript, PERL, MYSQL, gallery and captcha software + I can request just about anything.

You could too, probably, but I understand if you'd rather just rule with an iron fist...your board, your rules.

-Doug

Mike_Aurelius
07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
all of mine appear to be Russian. The volume of people signing up, it's impossible to approve them all.

Are they using .ru at the end of their email addresses? You can selectively ban e-mail addresses, parts of IP addresses etc.

Mike_Aurelius
07-02-2007, 10:32 AM
time to find a new server.

My $12 a year service provides PHPbb, NUKEscript, PERL, MYSQL, gallery and captcha software + I can request just about anything.

You could too, probably, but I understand if you'd rather just rule with an iron fist...your board, your rules.

-Doug

You know me too well, Doug. I **DO** prefer the iron fist method :D

Primathon
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Use the CAPTCHA plugin that VB provides along with the (probably enabled by default) confirmation emails. The GD image libraries have been bundled with PHP since 4.3, and there's no reason your host shouldn't support it.

Udai Hussien
07-02-2007, 11:16 AM
well .ru is reall Nigerians. and yes they are 97% .ru addresses

misled youth
07-05-2007, 12:35 AM
well i see why i never clicked on this part of the forum's!!!
this is where the smart guys hangout!!!