PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever had a dirty O2 bottle

T Lewis Glass
08-13-2005, 04:24 PM
The reason I ask is because everything I've made in the last couple of days is divitrafying(sp) like crazy . I'm not doing anything different than I usually do .

Thats the only reason I can come up with . Just wondering and thought I would ask , so I can rest a little easier . If it's something I'm doing then I QUIT !!!! I'll get a post office job ......... :tongue:

~Todd

rumplephorskin
08-13-2005, 06:13 PM
get any new glass recently??? ??? could just be a bad case
but you should get a job at the post office anyway.... we could REALLY use a guy in the inside :rollin

harpentuan
08-13-2005, 07:34 PM
I have heard of getting 'bad' propane before. I'm not sure exactly what the problems were.
They changed sources.

Udai Hussien
08-13-2005, 08:30 PM
does it look like water spots on dishes? I had oxy do that before, it was humidity mixing with the oxy... and also , humidity on your tube/rod

skip
08-14-2005, 10:30 PM
hahahahah....

Man using the old dirty oxy excuses hahahahahaha Just admit it.......

T Lewis Glass
08-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Excuses my ass ,,,, I finished off the bottle and am going to see this week . Good points though . I did get propane from someone new and I got some new glass . &^$% It might take a while to figure this one out . But hey ,, I'm not going to blame myself for things that go wrong in my shop .....

+ I came up with some new little things after I had to skin the surface off a couple of marbles . Maybe if your nice Skip I'll share them with you . For an old guy you sure are mean ...........:attitude:

~Todd

skip
08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
hehe I just play like that...... Todd is a first class glassblower. You would like him. He is a pleasure to be around. even if he has dirty oxy haha....

T Lewis Glass
08-14-2005, 11:08 PM
LOL yeah true . Did I ever tell you guys about the time in Hawaii when Skip almost got eaten by a shark .... TRUE STORY !!!!!!

~T

skip
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
He told me not to go surfing with the bacon left over from breakfast in my pockets. Did I listen>?

smutboy420
08-16-2005, 07:23 AM
its got to be the humidity! this ? comes up on the board allmost EVERY august with out fail.
there is about 2 weeks every august. that ii get a lot of scuzz on thick pcs. and its mostly on the most humid days of the year. never had the scuzz form any other time of the year.

mindblowingglass
08-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Are you cleaning your glass before useing it? (windex it)
I dont know about humidity mixing w/ oxy as Im in a VERY Humid place and I dont have that issue.
( though I work liquid)
I have noticed that with high humidity you sweat that much more. And if you like me and eat a lot of salt , the salt will come out w/ your sweat and leave diposits on the glass that will scuzz up in the flame if you dont clean it prior to useing it.

smutboy420
08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Maybe its just a coralation with it only happening to me on the most hot and humid days of august any time it has ever happend to me. they might just be the days that im ssweating so insanely that it could be that.
'cause i have seen pcs that meg has sweat on that have had a simuler effect on the glass. She has very salty low ph hand sweat. yuk!!!!
what ever rod she uses for a punty useally has a thick build up of salt on it. and if you use it for a raking rod or any thing with out cleaning it it will scuzz up the glass like mad. but on the other hand they make the best punty rods cause they feel like they have a light friction coating on them making them nice as hell to spin.

Julian
08-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Alright, Meg Sweat is the secret to proper pontils.
This goes right along with the article I recently read in Lapidary Journal about 'Nose Oil' and it's use in grinding.

kbinkster
08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
...lest we forget the importance of earwax...

Clean your rods, Todd, and see if it helps.

indolering
08-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Todd, are you sure it is de-vitting? Can you upload a picture. I am not going to claim to be an expert but it could help. From what I hear Oxy bottles being unpure is very rare. This is becuase the medical Oxy and Industrial comes out of the same source. One is just checked and this costs more.

If you know your suplier well I would ask him about it. Mine offers me returns if I don't use a bottle and plenty of flexibility. It really pays to get a good relationship going, what are we without our friends?

Second I would suspect the propane, thats a much less specialty gas and less care probably goes into it's handling.

Would humidity real cause that much of a change? I mean, it's harder to get more humid than Oregon : ) Correct me if I am wrong, it will help when I move out of this desert.

harpentuan
08-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Forsome reason propane tanks need to be purged from time to time.
Maybe that's a clue.

kbinkster
08-16-2005, 02:13 PM
The oily odorant stuff they add to the propane can cause problems (like if your tank ever gets tipped over or when it gets low)- but it would affect your flame, so you'd notice that something was wrong.

Maybe it is just you... hahahahaha just kidding, Todd. :rollin

Hey, do you ever wipe the dust off your rods before you use them by running them under your arm (while wearing a cotton shirt)? I do that a lot. If you are particularly sweaty, you could be depositing stuff onto your glass rather than wiping it off.

T Lewis Glass
08-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Well I have been gone for a couple of days and I'm going to fill up my O2 bottles today . It was kinda humid for a couple of days but nothing out of the ordinary . Most of the time its over cast and cool . But I dunno . Well see ..............

I do clean my glass well before I use it ,, thats the one thing I know for sure . I drive to Winship hand select everything I buy and pack it up myself (I'm soo picky about glass it even makes me sick sometimes) . When I get home everything gets separated , so that no tube or rod is touching another .

But I'm going to get more air today and I'll update what I find . If thats not it than I'll blow off my propane tank and fill it up somewhere else , but I'm sure this wasn't happening before this particular tank of o2 .

I eye iey

~Todd

Infinity glass
08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
sounds like u had a bad o2 tank i heard of this happening but i think its rare