PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask a broad question?

bc
08-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Let's say I make a piece, a really nice head piece an sell it for good money, let's say it's a 600 dolla bub. I sell it to joe blow, the piece is now his. Is he now free to do whatever he wants to do with it?

Dale M.
08-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Let's say I make a piece, a really nice head piece an sell it for good money, let's say it's a 600 dolla bub. I sell it to joe blow, the piece is now his. Is he now free to do whatever he wants to do with it?

Yes.... Once he bought it, he owns it and has the right to do anything he wants with it... Even throw it out in street to be run over by garbage truck..

If you want to keep control of it, you keep it in your posession.

Dale

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Anything short of saying he made it would seem fine to me. Whats this hypothectical person doing with your peices?

glassblowingBiker
08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
if you sell it to him its his

bc
08-13-2005, 07:51 PM
No, I agree with you, they own it. Now lets' spice it up a bit. Let's say you sold it to another glassblower, do they have the right to werk on it or modify? Would you guys care? I personally wouldn't, an I don't want to buy anyones piece to werk on either so i'm not asking for that. I'll explain these weird questions soon enough. Thanks for the quick thoughts.

edit: spelling error

3 rip min
08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
it doesnt matter if he blows glass or not... like they said they can do anything thay want with it...

NUBBLET
08-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree , as long as they do not stake claim as the creator or crafter , it is fine , however the rare occasion could occur where the "lamity" line has been crossed , IE if they use a pic of it on a site as being available or made by them .... kinda like the whole, these are my pics on this Indian site gig . Once it is paid for and leaves your possesion it is the purchasers . If you are getting to the whole illegal use thing , no, you should not sell it , as you then become liable as a "paraphernalia" dealer , even if someone mentions it before during or after a purchase , the after gets hazy , just let them know they are not welcome anymore if they are going to be using or referancing any illegal substances .

slinger
08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
i think thats a great idea actually. Buying other peoples pieces, then heating them up in your kiln, modifying them, and then releasing them back into the world. I might do that someday. I like that.

bc
08-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Nubblet, you kinda hit it, about someone buying your pieces then putting them on a site for advertisment, for their whole biz, not just your piece. I personally don't mind if they do but was kinda wondering what y'll might think.

bc
08-13-2005, 08:03 PM
If someone buys it they own the rights to it???

Garth Anderson
08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
In my book they do. If they paid the sum I was asking then they can do whatever they want with it...even resell it with claims they made it. If I sell a piece it's going to be for the money. If I get that money, well, mission accomplished. At this point I'm not hardcore emotionally attached to anything I make. If I was I probably wouldn't sell in the first place.

GlassAce
08-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I agree, they buyer has the right to do as they please. But if they are using it as a promotional item, they should credit the artist as matter of integrity, and truth in advertising. (Regretably, our industry is often lacking in both).

IrieGuy05
08-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I guess if someone wants to use a pic of your peice to advertise it would be ok. They should ask you if its ok tho.

One thing is if someone bought one of my peices and used it then posted pics of it dirty and them puffing out of it on gp.org I'd be pissed. Someone did that with a peice and it wasn't even a glassblower. The guy was a total schmuck too.

NUBBLET
08-13-2005, 11:58 PM
If they are reselling and it is available for purchase , I think would be fine , they should at least give credit to the artist ( even if done only on request) . The other scenario is in a group pic they have on a site or a pic directly of it even , with no direct statement of direct availability , just as art or banner type material , also fine but they should give credit to the artist outright , like on GAs tech cards they have the artist and even the colors used (colors I imagine are for the potential artist reading the cards) .

IrieGuy05
08-14-2005, 12:20 AM
If its on a catalog for pipes he might not even want his full name attached.

duh
08-14-2005, 03:17 AM
i had a friend pick up a marble I had (which had sentimental value), and talk me into selling it to him. :rolleyes
Just before he paid for it he told me he was gonna have his other friend put it on a pice of his own. :mad1:

I RIPPED THE FUCKING MARBLE RIGHT OUT OF HIS HAND! :attitude:

I've also had people ask me to build solid dichro canes for them :pimp:, just so they could pull them down to their specifcations and use them. These people simply didn't have the skill to build nice canes..:tongue2:

they said: "I don't have enough time to make dichro canes, but i need lots of dichro cane":violin:
I said: "LEARN HOW TO BLOW GLASS ASSHOLE!":tongue2:

people should make their own damn glass, (unless its a collab):D

just my honest opnion.:smokin:

duh
08-14-2005, 03:32 AM
my last post got a little off topic.

after re reading this thread, i would like to add that I would be pretty pissed if somebody altered a piece of mine that
a)wasn't prodo,
b)wasn't a minor fix, and
c)didn't have my permission.

bc
08-14-2005, 04:10 AM
love those emicons.

Mr. Smiley
08-14-2005, 04:23 AM
If somebody is doing something you don't like with any of your pieces, they have the right to do that (except represent it as their own work)... but you have the right not to sell future pieces to them. I personally don't care what people do with my work after they own it. Maybe that comes from making mostly toys for years. My work goes into some bad bad places, I'm sure and it doesn't bother me at all. :)

jiminyrootkit
08-14-2005, 05:27 AM
if i sold it, for full retail value, i don't give two shits less what they do to it, short of claiming they made it. that'd piss me off.
i guess if they wanna try to alter it, may the fucking thing shatter the moment they pull it from the kiln, leaving tiny shards of 1050F glass sizzling in thier palms......but they are free to try.
now, (and this came up recently) if i hooked a friend up on a piece below retail, and he broke it ON PURPOSE (say, to get an ex girlfriend to take him back :rolleyes) then there IS going to be a "tax" on the next one, as i now know what type of stupidity my poor pieces are going to be subject to.
-f

broken glass
08-14-2005, 08:32 AM
id sell for the devil if i could get retail value for it. Any chance that we could see the piece?? Im allways interested in what other lampers are getting for their work.

SteppingRazor
08-14-2005, 10:28 AM
i understand that alot of art collectors get asked to show the work they own at exibititions for the artist they buy the work from. it's not a manditory thing, and i'm sure the artist or gallery pays the shipping and insurence on the work to get it shown. alot of people are happy to do this, they love to show off what they own.

also alot of at gallerys will show so and so's collection. the albright knox in buffalo just had a show of this couple's art collection. they had work from about 8 people. it was really bad too.
~joe

skip
08-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Let me ask a broad question?

Haha I keep thinking this post is a question like How do you make shortbread? Or how long does it take to clean the house and do the dishes? Or if you break a nail blowing glass do you finish the bead or set it down and fix the nail... haha Relax It's a joke...