kruger
09-04-2005, 04:31 AM
works for me

Brian Newman
09-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Worked this time for me too.

IrieGuy05
09-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Nice, never seen this one before, rather obvious name too.

glasshead
09-04-2005, 11:20 PM
not a fan of offhand glassblowing. id rather get a cobra and make big ass 10 inch paperweights on that baby. not to mention all the other possibilites. Furnace work justr seems so limited to me

Julian
09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Furnace work is limited?? By what, the inability to heat a specific area as in flameworking? Just walk back to the bench and go all flameworky on your piece with a torch or hand torch before going back into the glory hole.
Or is it limited by the difficulties involved in making four foot pieces instead of four inches?? Flameworking and Furnace working are both limited in their own ways. The way the working areas are set up is a huge contrast that I think affects the methods and steps people go through. A desk vs. a weird bench is a big difference... no wonder people can put more detail in flamework, its not just the torch but its a lot easier to do reversals, drawings, etc when you are at a desk or chest high table vs. a weird bench. I think we'll see more and more great stuff as people learn to combine the flame and the glory hole, and all these boro folks learn about soft glass (one big advantage of which is that you can batch it and use a glory hole without having to go psycho and drain liquid tanks to do so).
You can't really say furnace work is "limited", can you? Sure, get your Cobra but It's going to also take a lathe to make those four foot vases out of boro.

IrieGuy05
09-05-2005, 02:37 PM
What if you used 25 HW in place of a blowpipe and swung that shit around as you added 8-12 inch sections to it, premade from the kiln? I don't understand why it would be nessacery to use a lath in flameworking if people pull off 4 foot vases with softglass.. guess I'm missing something.

Soft glass does rock tho, I might try and score some morretti soon to use on the torch.

glasshead
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
obviously furnace work isnt limited in terms of size. thats not what i was referring to. i was talking more about DETAIL. but youre right, when people start combining the two, the possibilies are endless....

mandala
09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I heard a story about Roger Parramore (the human lathe) at the Appalachian craft center. After some cat made a huge tea kettle at a bench demo he called everyone over and busted out the same sized tea kettle at the torch in about the same amount of time.

mondovetro
09-07-2005, 09:05 AM
link worked for me to.
cool another glass page ill have to check it later.

Udai Hussien
09-07-2005, 09:26 AM
thats a neat site... if they want a site pimp, make a button, Ill put it on the other site

jokersdesign
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the great link