PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with 50 lbs. of Recycled Art Glass?

artglass104
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
What can you do with 50 LB. of Recycled Art Glass?

We would like to know.

Recycled Art Glass.com is sponsoring a contest and give away open to all participants. Our goal is to give away 50 lbs. Of 104 coe Recycled Art Glass to the person or persons who come up with the most creative idea on how to recycle this 104 coe Multi-Colored glass. This glass is compatible with any 104 coe and can be used in making rods, casting, hot glass, lampwork, warm glass or any other projects your imagination can conceive.

The contest is open until Feb 25, 2008 after which time all entries will be reviewed, the winner notified by email and posted on the website www.RecycledArtGlass.com March 2, 2008.

Your project can be a dream, an ambition or an actual project - it doesn’t matter.

The winner will receive 50 lbs. Of Recycled Art Glass. All other entries will be entered into a drawing contest and 2 contestants will receive 25 lbs of the Recycled Art Glass each.

Recycled Art Glass.com will pay all shipping and handling for the delivery of the glass within the lower 48 States (USA).

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to enter.

To enter the contest, visit www.RecycledArtGlass.com review the website and email with your idea or project or simply email with an entry for the drawing. You must include your email address for winner notification.

Please Read:

All entries become property of RecycledArtGlass.com. Creative ideas and projects may be posted on RecycledArtGlass.com to show and help in assistance in judging in the best project or idea.

somewhere
01-13-2008, 02:18 AM
[B]

[CENTER]Please Read:

All entries become property of RecycledArtGlass.com.

huh?

Emmett's Glass
01-13-2008, 07:38 AM
A contest to give away scrap? What a great idea.
E

phab
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
A contest to give away scrap? What a great idea.
E

...seems that since all ideas and entries become the property of recycledartglass that somebody has access to plenty of trash glass and if youre idea 'wins' they have a product to market. i have 50 pounds of scrap to send them, loose, in a bag. its an art creation i call "mania". i hope they will like it, ive never won a contest before.

artglass104
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Happy New Year from RecycledArtGlass.com! And thanks again to all the people who have joined us in our recycling efforts. Best Wishes in 2008!

Yes, it’s true, we are always looking for new and creative ideas here at RecycledArtGlass.com However we do not require you to give us an idea to enter the contest. We are giving away 50 lbs of our 104 coe Recycled Art Glass if you would like to share you idea with us and others OR 25 lbs of 104 coe Recycled Art Glass to 2 people just for sending in an entry for the drawing NOTHING ELSE REQUIRED.

We have so much studio glass (25 tons +) that does need to be recycled. Some it comes as clean glass and glass from other places comes with trash included - we’ve pulled banana peels, sunflower seeds, coffee cups, dirty napkins and tape from some of it - that’s just how some people are. We clean and sort this glass. If the glass is too scrappy or of unknown compatibility to be used in glass work we have people that can use it in landscape cover, in casting concrete, counter tops, garden statuary or in mosaics. Nothing goes to waste.

We are always looking for glass to recycle and we ask if studios have glass they would like to be recycled in our website to please feel free to email us for details. We do carry float glass but we don’t do bottles.

A number of years ago I took an associate on my recycling pick-up rounds and was asked what I considered myself to be - I answered a garbage man. The comeback was: That may be true but you get fancy garbage. Just remember 1 man’s trash is another’s treasure.

Early entries in the contest have included (my favorite so far):

“I would love to win the 50 lbs of 104 Glass. My idea for a project is to share most of it with Project HOPE, which is a group that I have been donating to for years.

HOPE stands for Helping Organizations Promote Education

The HOPE Bracelet Project collects beads and jewelry making supplies, and then teaches students at the Medhane-Alem School in Yetebon, Ethiopia to create limited edition, beautiful bracelets.” Marcy Lamberson

Now that'sa a good idea!

artglass104
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Our hosting server is currently experiencing an outage (1/16 & 1/17). Please try again later today if you are unable to access our website RecycledArtGlass.com (http://RecycledArtGlass.com).

Thank you!
Linda

artglass104
01-19-2008, 09:44 AM
The host server is back up and RecycledArtGlass.com (http://www.RecycledArtGlass.com)is online again!!! Yeah!

Thank you,
Linda

somewhere
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I have almost a ton of 96coe. Mostly pipe moils and rejected finished work. Mixed in with all the expected trash you will find in the glass shop.
Please let me know when you can have it pick it up.

artglass104
01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Somewhere; we would have been happy to recycle your 96 coe, however, shipping plays a factor. 96 coe is an inexpensive soft glass or what we refer to as a Beginner’s, Instructor’s or Learner’s glass. Not to disrespect 96 artists, some excellent art is made with the 96 glass by a lot of glassblowers. We can purchase 96 glass new and clean (no trash) in clear for $ .30 per pound* in tonnage here on the West Cost. You are located on the East Coast unfortunately making it not cost effective to ship a ton across the country. Where as we do ship 90 coe, 33 coe and 104 coe glass.

Recycled Art Glass would like to offer following suggestions for you if you truly want to recycle your 96 glass:

Offer it to local beginning artists free as you have to us. OR

Tumble the glass with a 60 mesh sand; a cement mixer works great for this. 96 glass makes a very nice simulated beach glass with a matt finish and should be popular in Florida - and offer it to gift shops and garden shops for landscaping, ground cover and mosaic art.

And if possible, donate glass to local schools, After School Activities and Senior Centers for art projects to use in “Glue Art” and mosaics.

Thank you for considering Recycling.

* Source for $.30 per pound 96 coe is C&R Loo 1-800-227-1780.

I have almost a ton of 96coe. Mostly pipe moils and rejected finished work. Mixed in with all the expected trash you will find in the glass shop.
Please let me know when you can have it pick it up.

somewhere
01-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Somewhere; we would have been happy to recycle your 96 coe, however, shipping plays a factor. 96 coe is an inexpensive soft glass or what we refer to as a Beginner’s, Instructor’s or Learner’s glass. Not to disrespect 96 artists, some excellent art is made with the 96 glass by a lot of glassblowers.

I really wonder about your integrity and the integrity of the people you work with. You really don't seem to have a clue.

I would love to here you tell Dale Chihuly, Lino Tagliapietra, Pino Signoretto, Billy Morris Etc... That you think they use " Beginner’s or Learner’s glass. You really crack me up!

BTW: If you don't don't recognize the artists listed above the you can safely rest assured you are in the wrong line of work. In todays hot shop you will have a hard time finding anyone that doesn't melt and use 96coe glass.

One more thing to learn: 96coe is NOT less expensive to make then 90coe or 104coe. They have the same basic ingredients.

I guess we all have time to learn but it does seem you should attain a little basic knowledge of glass first.

vetropod
01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I would love to here you tell Dale Chihuly, Lino Tagliapietra, Pino Signoretto, Billy Morris Etc... That you think they use " Beginner’s or Learner’s glass.

They're all just advanced beginners :D

artglass104
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Regardless of what our non-customers say - our real customers have been 100% satisfied with our Recycled 104 Art Glass. And we can assure that anyone who uses our glass will be satisfied - it is of the highest quality and richest colors in 104.

artglass104
01-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Here is what people who use our glass have to say about our contest.

"woohoo I entered I need more frit I havent made beads lately but ehh I still need frit and yours is so much fun

If I had 50 pounds of Recycled art glass I would have to find a way to get a larger kiln :) I can think of all sorts of fun and diffrent projects to make with the glass but about the neatest would be to fuse Multi colored Panels of glass for use in the windows of my daughters playhouse. Of course 50 pounds is alot so i might have to make a small entry window to my house as well
You could also make large glass tiles for use in the counters of a fun shop or your own home. A backsplash maybe if were thinking big with no restrictions how fun would that be a small little cafe or coffee house with the hanging lampshades made out of recycled art glass the counters back splash and even accents on the wall and tables :)

Or of course I could make 400 diffrent beads all the same but all diffrent thanks to the neat mixture of glass there always is in your frit and collet mixes :) "

We are still taking enteries in the contest and have had some very unique responses.

somewhere
01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I really wonder about your integrity and the integrity of the people you work with. You really don't seem to have a clue.

I would love to here you tell Dale Chihuly, Lino Tagliapietra, Pino Signoretto, Billy Morris Etc... That you think they use " Beginner’s or Learner’s glass. You really crack me up!

BTW: If you don't don't recognize the artists listed above the you can safely rest assured you are in the wrong line of work. In todays hot shop you will have a hard time finding anyone that doesn't melt and use 96coe glass.

One more thing to learn: 96coe is NOT less expensive to make then 90coe or 104coe. They have the same basic ingredients.

I guess we all have time to learn but it does seem you should attain a little basic knowledge of glass first.

Your only hearing what you want to.

marcel
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM

I have no real experience with either Artglass 104 or Somewhere but WTF?

96 IS easy to work with, that's why a lot of people like to use it. Furthermore, those guys are not necessarily using 96 COE glass. Murano glass has a higher expansion...it might even be 104, I'm not sure exactly. On top of that, tons of people are using SP 87 these days.

It seems to me that recycling artglass is something that needs to happen more, not less. Why all the anger and attacks? If your ideas are that valuable, don't share them. But seriously, given the nature of this site I am shocked to see people acting so self important about their intellectual property as they seek to harvest the bounty of freely offered information available here.

Does every contest have to have a Delta Mag as prize to "prove" the integrity of the one holding it? Besides, it sounds like he's talking about color suitable for fusing or blowing or lampworking. You are arguing about prices on clear cullet which isn't color and therefore lacking the ability to make a complete project for most applications. If you had cleanish 96 COE color you'd have no problem getting someone to take it off your hands.

If I had a good idea for you, I'd be happy to give it up in the hopes that it would help keep glass out of the landfill. Artglass, you said you recycled borosilicate (33COE). Can you tell us more about that and how it works? Currently my waste goes into the landfill, probably about 1000 pounds a year.

I'm pretty sure I just stepped into something that will end up vexing me but sometimes I feel like people go too far. Recycling good. Bad attitudes....well, bad.

-Marcel

somewhere
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Yea not exactly sure why this got to me so much but I can say it did not start with this thread. I'm sure it has a lot to do with artglass104's lack of understanding of compatibility and the high horse I feel they rode in on with there recycling program. My first intro with them was an opportunity to do compatibility testing on there cullet or as they like to say collet. I just don't see how it's fair to there customers to resell scrap cullet they seem to know little about besides what the person who gave it to them says it is. I will say glass in itself doesn't need to be recycled for environmental reasons. SO when they toot there horn like there savin the planet I get a little worked up.

That said I like the idea of recycling glass and melt a good bit of recycled glass myself in the tune of a couple of tons a year. The recycled cullet we buy comes from reputable sources it has a known coe it is for the most part consistent and doesn't need to check on melt by melt basis. Artglass104 collects glass from where they can and (?crushes it into frit) and resells it.

I will back off and apologize for sounding like an asshole.
I really just need to blow more glass and stop worry about shit that doesn't even effect me.

somewhere
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I just noticed artglass104 did edit there post leaving me further out in the wind. Oh well

Glassroots
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
so do you mail the glass to us? I agree, it is a good idea in theory and I am glad people are entering the contest. If I had a furnace I would melt down all my scrap into solid blocks and decorate my farm with it. I will keep an eye on the contest, good luck.

marcel
01-25-2008, 04:00 AM
I thought I saw an edit in there...

I'm curious to know if they will be able to do anything with our (33 COE)trash....old points, clear shorts, broken pieces etc.

mer
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
i don't know if there's been any progress but dave winship told me a couple months back that i should hold onto my boro scrap because he had some frit crushing plans in the works.

artglass104
02-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Last two days to enter the contest! Visit RecycledArtGlass.com (http://www.RecycledArtGlass.com) to enter.

ALWAYS RECYCLE