PDA

View Full Version : Disaster strikes!

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
My dear mother tried to organize my shop while I was gone. Morreti mixed with boro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek

:rollin :rollin

Fuck.

jiminyrootkit
09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
oh holy shit.
i love my mom and all, but dude, i'd beat her with an inch rod.
-f

NUBBLET
09-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I see some compatability tests in your future .

Mr. Wonka
09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
:sick:

Brian Newman
09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Weigh them.

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
weigh them huh? is morreti lighter? what about all the half used rods. This isn't going to be easy with the amount of glass in my shop........ :sick:

Mr. Whale dick
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
hahahahahaha

man the old mix morretti w/ boro on the newbies bench trick.......classic

didn't know your mom knew that one...:)

Brian Newman
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
weigh them huh? is morreti lighter? what about all the half used rods. This isn't going to be easy with the amount of glass in my shop........ :sick:
Soft glass is 1/3 heavier than hard.
It's easier than putting each piece in front of the flame.

kbinkster
09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh, Misha!

Julian
09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Ha ha! Mothers. Ack.
It's not so hard to tell, most of it just looks different. It feels slimy, too. Oh wait, thats just the finished blown stuff. Other than that, you'll know when you stick the rod into a moderate flame and the end explodes.
The problem I've had with Moretti in the shop is that I work with open boro frit containers on the table. Chunks of gold stone or some weird transparent flying in there could ruin lots of stuff, or they could sit on the table and get stuck to something hot. Glarg.

harpentuan
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, grandma is good people, but if she mixed up my glass, i'd kick her in the back.

NUBBLET
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
If you mix in equal parts , basically just overlap the rods a bit then fold the handles to grab the other rod and pull a stringer . It will bend if the glasses are incompatable , there is also a bit more in that a slight bend is ok but if it goes to far they are different . i will try to post a full descirpt if needed .

I also would think for the weight thing you then would need to consider colorant weight and diameter and............................................... ................................................ needless to say a huge ass headache . how much does a ten inch section weigh (of clear) compared to say cobalt ? Then how do you also make sure the volume of each piece is the same ?

jiminyrootkit
09-06-2005, 07:04 PM
hover em all in the kiln at 1050.
the soft glass will be the crooked ones.
;)
-f

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 07:11 PM
ok there's a possible sollution...shouldn't take too long for the morreti ones to bend I'd hope, cause she mixed it in real good heh. I guess I'll throw the kiln up to 1200 to speed things up and do that. thanks for the idea, frankie!

jiminyrootkit
09-06-2005, 07:28 PM
sure.
i've never worked any soft glass, so i dunno about it's kiln properties, but at 1200, you might be able to just lay rods in there flat on the floor and see which ones get a flat side?
might be better than having a buncha bent up rods to try to work.....then again, soft is cheeeep compared to boro......depending on quantity, it may be accaptable loss.
good luck
-f

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
I was thinking it might be faster to have them hanging over the edge of something and gravity pulling em, so I was gonna make a rod rest out of clear and set it in there to lean them on. Then the top parts of the rods will be in the air and hopefully bend quickly. Wow what a pain in the ass...but this idea will work rather quickly, so thanks again, you've saved me a lot of time hehe.

Dale M.
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I have pondered this sort of thing when I get to point I want to venture into another glass type. Was considering putting dab of color (paint) on end of rods of differnt type.... Something to give a quick visual... Was planning on marking all rods as to "type" when I bring new "types" into studio.... Might be something to conside once you get types sorted out.

Dale

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Most the morreti is marked with a green line at one end that goes all the way around, but some of it isn't. I can't keep it marked all the time, wish I could. Before we just had separate stations, But this shop is small and we only have boro stations. Anyway thanks for the idea, I’m sure it'll be beneficial to others who have multi glass shops but may not even matter with moms on the loose! :lol

nodge
09-06-2005, 08:29 PM
oh gosh misha what a mess! i hope they bend quickly and you get it all straightened out soon
Mountainmama

NUBBLET
09-06-2005, 08:37 PM
You could keep an eye on the kiln and watch for the glow of the glass , soft will glow at a much lower temp , this may save some bent rod work and keep it all straight . I know boro starts to glow around 900-1000 F if mem serves correct . Henry from GA was saying something about it and had even said in theory you could adjust your kiln with no Pyrometer , just by the glow of the glass . He over the phone had told me how much my Pyro was off by me describing colors and glow , I then realized the wire was loose and thats why it was off . I was glad to have that knowledge since I thought I was screwing everything I had ever done and could not strike a color to save my life .

I have to say that is a good idea though , F . I felt like a jackass when I read that , so simple but so effective .

Brian Newman
09-06-2005, 09:09 PM
I thought my idea was more elegant than bent rods, but this latest idea trumps mine.

PyroChixRock
09-06-2005, 09:12 PM
True but the boro ones won't bend, so I don't really mind! :lol Really tho your idea was good until I started thinking about the different MM's and different lengths and wow...heh. I think I like bent rods!! :lol

I'm so glad I can come here and laugh about this with you, cause when I go out in the shop and look at the glass...yuck. You guys rule. :D

Greymatter Glass
09-06-2005, 11:00 PM
wow, that does suck.... I have some quartz rods that I worry about getting mixed up.... *knock on wood*

Anyways....

cannot...resist....
...must...crack...asnine...comment....

Hey rusty, what do you think?

...sorry

-Doug

Brian Newman
09-07-2005, 02:12 AM
wow, that does suck.... I have some quartz rods that I worry about getting mixed up.... *knock on wood*

Anyways....

cannot...resist....
...must...crack...asnine...comment....

Hey rusty, what do you think?

...sorry

-Doug

If this ever happens with quartz just rub the unknown piece against a piece of quartz and if it is quartz it will spark. Go ahead and try rubbing 2 pieces of quartz together if you doubt me. This amazed me when I first saw it.

Julian
09-07-2005, 03:03 AM
I don't understand the big deal. You don't need compatibility tests or any weird crap to tell 104 coe from boro. I like the kiln idea though, if you don't mind runing your morretti rods.
Get a litle more soft glass experience and you won't be afraid of mixing them up anymore.
Stick it in the flame.
If it melts really easy , gets goopy, has a weird looking surfacfe, its morretti. If its not apparent what it is at that point, wiggle it. Does it stay soft for 5 times as long as boro? Then its Morretti.
If it melts like boro, its boro.
If it doesn't melt at all, and gets all weird and bright in a raging flame, its quartz.
Only someone very inexperienced, very inobservant, or retarded could accidentally mix these in a piece and not notice. It's completely apparent as soon as you try to melt the rod. I've mixed up morretti and boro on the way back from demos and it is not a problem. For one, the colors look and feel totally different for the msot part so that takes care of 80% of the colors.
Quartz and boro either, I mean, geez, if you acidentally use dots from a 10 mil quartz rod for a honeycomb and don't notice you are insane.

Udai Hussien
09-07-2005, 05:31 AM
hahahahahaha

man the old mix morretti w/ boro on the newbies bench trick.......classic

didn't know your mom knew that one...:)

Man thats the best, when you toss a stick of 12MM bullseye on someones workstation

PyroChixRock
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Well Juln when you're dealing with the amount of glass I'm dealing with that's mixed up, and not wanting to ruin the kinds of pieces we make by fucking it up with morretti, it doesn't seem all that retarded to me to go through the process of separating it instead of chancing grabbing a rod in the heat of the moment and losing a piece you just spent 5 days on. When you're there in your carreer, and you have your mom come through and bust up your shop like this, maybe then you won't feel like its so retarded. Even with years of experience with both types of glass, it's just not worth the risk nor something I want to worry about having to avoid for the next few months while we get through this color.

cheng076
09-07-2005, 09:30 AM
What's the big deal with bent rods? After you get'em sorted out, do a quick run with the Moretti turned 180 and let'em straighten out.... dahh

Just be sure to clean'em good after.

How you doing otherwise, young lady? Hope you had a good 'attitude adjustment' back east. Looks like a great time from the pics. Greetings to Matt and the kids
PJH

Julian
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Sorry, Misha, I've been kind of cranky for a few months I think.
I sympathize with the mother issues. Mine is constantly coming over to my house with psycho landscaping and renovation plans.
All I was trying to say is that it is pretty easy to sort out visually, and then, once you actually heat up the rod it is quite apparent whether the rod is morretti or boro. I'm pretty sure you'd notice in time and not fuck up your piece.

NUBBLET
09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Again watch the glow and you will not have bent rods . The two types of glass glow at different temps . You probably would save time this way also , not spending the time to let it slump .

FredLight
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Nub's right , I threw I threw a piece of Effetre in the kiln just to see. It glows at a lower temp. I had to turn off my bench lights to actually see it. Probably the simplest way, IMO.