PDA

View Full Version : Check out these torches!

Brian Newman
09-07-2005, 06:32 AM
No more metal spitting off your torch. Ever.

Blue Flame Technologies (http://www.blueflametech.com)

mindblowingglass
09-07-2005, 08:06 AM
I beleave those burners are only designed for hydrogen use.
I know the only people I have ever seen use them are quartz workers.
For what they cost they are definatley not cost effective for boro workers.
Not to mention the way boro workers tap their punties or rods against their burners.
One good wack and there goes your torch

Utopian Brain
09-07-2005, 08:59 AM
We should all just start a whole journeyman system. If ya show up without a torch just quartz one outt hen your good for the next couple days, those look pretty easy to make.
But one question? who has metal shooting off their torch?, do you mean carbon buildup, it aaint so bad

Udai Hussien
09-07-2005, 09:01 AM
thats a really cool idea, if it works

Greymatter Glass
09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
They work, been around for at least 5 or 6 years... cuz they were around before I bought a torch....nothing new, maybe a new manufacturer... but I think thats the same guys that it's always been.

-Doug

Udai Hussien
09-07-2005, 09:42 AM
have ytou seen one work? so they premix? and make a sharp or bushy flame? any opinions?

Brian Newman
09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I just thoght it was neat. Yes it is the same people. And no they wouldn't be easy to make.(You try working quartz). They will work with other fuel gasses.

jiminyrootkit
09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
they look to be surface mixers, note the capillary tubes and split gas tubes.
-f

rattshak
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I've seen these things in action at AGI. The Quartz guys brought them out for us to check out. We used Propane and oxygen through it. Actually, I think Fro might have used it one year to make a gigantic marble outside of the bat/spider shak at Wonkaville.

It does develop a lot of crap on it though. The quartz begins to get all scummy to because of all the inpurities in the propane versus the Hydrogen. They are defintely surface mixed since that is the best way to work with Hydrogen, or so I've heard.

Whatever they might do, they're defintely some COOL looking torches!

kbinkster
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Quartz torches were developed to work quartz because standard metal torches will start to break down. They get flame splash-back from the quartz as they work it and the face starts to erode. I specified standard metal torches because GTT triple mix torches do not break down - there's no flame splash-back.

The bits of metal from the eroding standard torch would be blown onto the quartz piece, marring it. Quartz burners break down, too, but the bits of quartz torch that get blown onto the quartz piece are just quartz. For this reason, I would question whether or not quartz torches are suitable for working boro.

Brian Newman
09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Quartz torches were developed to work quartz because standard metal torches will start to break down. They get flame splash-back from the quartz as they work it and the face starts to erode. I specified standard metal torches because GTT triple mix torches do not break down - there's no flame splash-back.

The bits of metal from the eroding standard torch would be blown onto the quartz piece, marring it. Quartz burners break down, too, but the bits of quartz torch that get blown onto the quartz piece are just quartz. For this reason, I would question whether or not quartz torches are suitable for working boro.
I never tried a G.T.T. and I see a lot of people on this site are religious about them. I do believe they get better colours to come out in the glass, get hotter, and are more versitile than ordinary torches. But you say they don't break down. Quartz torches break down? It dosen't soften until 1800C. Hydrogen is wierd to work with because the flame is almost invisible but is really hot. The quartz gives off a gas that covers the quartzworkers shop with a white dust (powdered sillica, so wear a resporator). I played a bit and I didn't like it (anyone want a hydrogen regulator?). No problem using them, just impractical.

steven p selchow
09-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I said I'd post about the knight bullit burner when I had enough time on it...but I now can say after working on a gtt for a bit that, this knight torch works color like no other torch, pre-mix of surface that I've seen, Lewis Wilson used mine at agi (he has his own) and rated it tops as a torch that can bring metals to the surface, as I did, like no other, I have yet to utilize the full potential of this burner, but its a keeper in my arsenol, I will when I get the chance to make two identical pieces and show the comparision (or lack of) between the two, As I stated at agi, I've seen colors that I've never seen before, but need more time to see just what it can do in various applications.

Dean Bowers and Mike were the quartz guys manufacturing them ( the above quartz torches)

Steve

NUBBLET
09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I looked at those when I was first getting in to the art . I think they are mainly scientific burners and as mentioned for hydrogen use and quartz work , where contamination in the most minute amount is not acceptable , the idea is that even the contaminant is quartz , so essentially there is no contaminant . W&W said they ran a GTT against one and the dude then had to change his claim of being the only torch that would hold up to quartz working temps . None the less they are cool as hell.