PDA

View Full Version : Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Fridge
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey guys my names Mike peeps call me fridge , just starting to fuel my boro melting obsession after years of collecting , learning,lurking etc etc. Im in central FLORIDA,if anyone is near by HMU im a pretty chill dude(: excited to meet people and learn much more, this site is soo full of info i feel soo lucky to be a part of it ! much appreciated cant wait to start a progression thread once my lynx arrives! thanks yall!

hngntuf
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Howdy Y'all, Stephen(56) here checking in from NW Georgia. It's been a long time since I began this journey. When I first became interested in glass, Kristian was still working out of an 8x8 shed at his house where I saw an artist at work for the first time. Life got in the way for me and I had to abandon my pursuit but not before I had obtained a Bethlehem model A (like bowvalley), 35-40 lbs of color rod, a few cases of tubing and rod, and most of the tools needed to start. Now that I fall into the disabled category, I am trying to pick up the trail again. Be aware that I wil be lurking around every corner and soaking up as much info as this community will provide. You may not see or hear me very often, but I wiil be omnipresent. Looking forward to the next phase in my journey with you.

fishbonegw
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
hello,

im levi, i have been blowing glass for 5 years altogether when you cut out the gaps. i run a GTT elite mostly but have a knight dragon master (its like a CC+)on my lathe, and a few hand torches.

i do remodeling and carpentry to facilitate my glass addiction, recently i used my skills to build myself a very adequate workshop behind my house next to the river. its nice.

my baby Salem Everley is only 1 and has more power over me than either of my parents ever did.

sbliven
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
^^ Welcome and enjoy the glass. If you are going to start with a hothead and 104, this is also a good site to look to for help.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/index.php

Enjoy
Thanks, RedToroBoro. Checked out the site and it does look helpful. Appreciate the referral.

Jeromebaker
02-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Right on ! - Jerome Baker in the Thread ! - I am going to be blowing glass live at the CHAMPS flameoff ! - Tune in and check it out - its gonna be allot of fun !

Aymie
02-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Who the fuck is Jerome baker?

Firechilde
02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Hey there!

JeriLyn aka the boro chick, been torching on and off for years but told the corporate world to take a hike hand started torching full time about a year.

I'm from the Phoenix area but ditched the city for the desert and now live out in Gold Canyon, AZ

Mellowman164
02-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey there new glass blower located in Cincinnati Ohio... started learning from a scientific glass blower learned but seals, t seals, and ring seals. I got a ton more to learn and am looking to network with some blowers in the area to help me along my path.

Jestr
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Here I was so stoked to join the forum, I jumped straight to the info and missed the introduction part. I go by Jestr and I've been in glass for about 2 years now, I suppose a little less since I spent several months off the torch and very unhappy about it, but I'm doing it full time and I AM IN LOVE WITH BORO!!!! Whether or not the rest of the world thinks I'm any good at it, I've found what I love and I'll be doing it the rest of my life. I'm in the Quad Cities (that's where the Mississippi goes east-west in the Illinois-Iowa border) and I've got a lot to teach myself since there are so few lampworkers in the area. But I'm trying to establish a bit of a network so here I am! I'm all about artistic exchange, whether it be working knowledge or finished pieces, but I definitely need to start a collection of other's work, as well as get my own out there. Keep spinning, everyone!

Browski
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Browski here, located in Vancoucer,BC and have been blowing glass since may 2011. I am supremely addicted to glassblowing and am on a journey to master the medium. I am a power engineer to finance my hobby. I think about glass when I sleep, when I wake up and all day at work. When I arrive in the shop I am at peace. The skills and traits I have learned from working glass have all been positive influences on my life. I simply seek to gain knowledge to advance as an artist. I dabble in different aspects of boro to gain appreciation and understanding of this unique material. After all, you cannot play a beautiful song unless you know how to play the instrument. Came here after I saw it suggested to another artist and it looked like a nice spot to learn.

Peace n love

UnitedStatesofAutism
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey.... My name is Ben B and Im from GB.
Just started to lampwork, making stash jars, so im developing confidence and experience at present.
I have a nortel midrange with a smaller premix burner on top, running on 2 5lpm oxy-cons. Seems plenty hot at moment to learn!
and yea i have autism(asperger sydrome), and my tag reflects my relative togetherness at present.
Thank you for allowing me access to this awesome learning resource.
PEACE

Julian
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Cool, welcome to the forum everyone! Remember to make use of the large archives - plenty of great info in there - and just ask if you have any questions about how to do anything on here, like customize your profile or upload photos.

Browski
03-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Haha bad ass, I am also a Ben B, thanks for here welcome!

critter42Truckee
03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
hello out there, I'm back and forth between Truckee (N. Lake Tahoe) and Colfax, CA. My brother and I have a pretty saweet studio in Colfax, we both been on the torch for a couple years now. We have two cc torches and room for a third in the studio if anyone wants to come collab some time. I'm always looking to learn some new tips and tricks cause mostly self taught originally from VT. Critter

Shmart
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Hello from the UK.

I'm so pleased to of found this place! I'm a Scientific Glassblower and have been for 10 years. Only recently have i taken an interest in color and my searches have led me here. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge, talent and a willingness to share in the pipemaking community.

I'm slowly getting my kit together for home but can use equipment at work for now. Until then I look forward to going through the archives and looking at all your cool work.

Thanks for sharing.
shmart

willyoung
03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
My name is Will Young. Been working boro on a Carlisle for 9 years off and on. I haven't been on this forum in 5 or 6 years, and you probably wont remember me because I really was just lurking and learning then. Decided that I would get familiar with the forum again as I am traveling and looking to network with other lampworkers. I used to work for Origin glass/Elan technologies (boro bars) and helped them reformulate some of there colors. Most of the glassworkers I have met came from that experience. I live in atlanta GA, but I am traveling in the greater New York area. Would love to figure out how to network with people here. Any ideas how to locate artist between NYC and Albany? especially those that would have some bench space? Much love and respect for this forum! You people are amazing. Oh yeah, almost forgot. I went to AGI 3 or 4 years ago, might have met some of you there.

playa00
03-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Hello all my friend Marc told me about this sight I'm glad to be apart of this great forum, I'm a noobie to lampworkimg but slowly progressing I so far know honeycomb and coil potting and how to make chilliums I would really love to learn wigwag and get really good at it I saw a video of Jason lee making some crazy art, so far so good but if anyone has some tips on wiggin and waggin I would love to hear them. One thing I would also love to learn is how to make a galaxy marble and be able to under pstand how mr Kevin Murray makes those perfect geometric symbols ......anyway glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from you all

One love

afro1621
03-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello my name is Miguel aka Afro. I´m from Costa Rica. I´m 25 y/o. Unfortunately I have a normal job and glass is my hobbie, my expectation is that some day I´ll cut off that chain off my feet and will start doing what I really love doing. I do Boro and I don´t have too much experience, though I have been behind the torch for 1 year and a half or so I have managed to learn a few techniques by the hand of Alessandro Tassara (aka alta.arte); I´m still in the process of purchasing all the equipment and tools needed to have at least a decent working area. I own a GTT Cheetah which I used to run on tanked oxygen but back in Dec/11 I decided to move a step forward and purchased a M20 from unlimited oxygen and I´m currently working on putting together a holding tank. My goal for this 2012 is to make enough money in order to purchase a nice kiln and another oxycon or homefill.
I´m happy I found this website, there´s lots of interesting topics to learn from and the members are always willing to help and share their knowledge.

HDGlassArt
03-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the forum! Read a lot!

kc-216
03-11-2012, 05:48 PM
hi my name is Casey, I have been blowing glass since Jan 2011. I am located in northern Illinois, and usually go to chicago to sell glass. I love this forum and have nothing but respect for the lampworkers on here that are willing to help out noobs like me and give us pointers in the right direction. I hope that I will be able to return the favor some day when I actually know something :) lol.

SpagettiWitDaBALLS
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
What up, started something down there a bit ago so I think I should post here too's. so name is Robert, people call me ballz on here, just giving a what uP! going to make some sick shit, can't wait, and don't playa hate! Nuttin but respect! WORD!

Jestr
03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
People don't call you ballz here, you just joined. And besides, you've been dubbed Spag-bob, which is too awesome for anyone to forget. Sorry, dude!

fybongs
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey guys, the name is Andrew. Been into glass for a couple of years already and started a blog since then to show my appreciation for all the awesome artists and all the killer pieces I stumble upon. I can't wait to get my hands on a torch and melt glass 'till my brain doesn't work, and hopefully expand the art to my hometown in Maracaibo, Venezuela. I see a lot of cool people around, hopefully I'll get to meet most of you. :chilling:

GlassConnoisseur
03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Little late on this, but lates better than never. :)
Names Alex, i'm from Northern California. Been blowing glass for about 6 months now, started with the intentions to make "smoking accessories" but have gained a passion for glass in all shapes and forms.

brudy1120
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi Everyone. I am new here! I just started working in glass about 3 weeks ago and I am having a great time. I am a bead pattern designer. I work primarily in seed beads, but I was having a hard time finding the components that I wanted/needed to finish my pieces. I also love the look of lampwork, so I decided to take the plunge.

Just from browsing the forums, I can tell that I have a LOT to learn. Hope I can gleen some information to help me grow here.

Thanks,
Beth

JCeast
03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
J Ceast forgot..
well ya know the story, some crazy @33**%$ introduced me and now I cant stop. Glass is amazing and it has taught me so much about myself and life that I cant turn it into my job, but it is my obsession. Been at it for 2 years and I dont think I could stop if I needed to. Corning is close so inspiration is allways here. Not real good w prodo yet but I am gettin fast now. The market is awful.

Alvin Olmos
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
My Names Alvin Olmos aka Redsnake420 aka Redsnake aka Rs420

I'm was mainly a coder/programmer/graphics designer for years but a few years ago a buddy of mine got me into glassblowing and I fell in love with it. So since then I kinda quit coding and programming to follow my glassblowing dreams.

PoMo
03-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey everyone, My names Pouria aka PoMo. I just recently got into glass blowing and taking some beginning to borosilicate class at my local arts center in Mesa, Arizona. So far had one 3 1/2 hour session behind a torch and loved every second of it. Cant wait to learn so much more! THis forum is great! so many talented artist with great advise. I feel like i have already learned so much. Well anyways here is what i made for my first time ever behind a torch :) http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/610/myfirstpendant.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/myfirstpendant.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

snowstar
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
newby have been working about a month with boro, I work full time so only have an hour or so a day

tcormons
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Tomas

No nicknames yet, but I´m new to the glass world!

Glass blowing for a year, headed to the torch within the next year.
Hoping to mix both techniques for some interesting projects.
Working on some specs to build a small shop in the side yard.

The threads here are really useful, all the information I need.
Looking forward to see everyones work in the future!

:turtle:

willieswonder
04-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Hey All, Im a noob in South Philly. Im running a National 8m on tanked Oxy.

NC_Icehouse
04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Mike 38
NC
18 yrs in the industry ranging from neon to scientific.

glassdocnc
04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Cool! More NC people always good in my book.

dcaaw
04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
My name is Cathy, I've been playing with glass since 2009. I work mostly with soft glass making sculptures for jewelry I wear myself and share with friends and family. Glass is so addicting, I'm always thinking of the next focal I'm going to make. I've met a lot of nice artistic people.

glassdocnc
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome Cathy.

alexk5
05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
My name is Alexander, been working with boro for a day now [all my equipment finally came in!] =D. I am trying to teach myself how to make pipes, I've done a little work with soft glass in the past and loved it.

wagon
05-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Hello all. I'm Joe. I'm out of MI.

Been addicted to glass for the past 4 years. Only became obsessed last year.

Always striving for ways to improve my shop and glass skills. One Love all

Coretta
05-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Hello all!
My name is Corry and live in the Netherlands. I started lampworking in Sept 2009 and have been torching mostly softglass and learned a lot during classes given by American artists. The last 3 years I met a lot of nice people who are also addicted to glass.
Just had one Worksshop using Boro in 2010 with the lovely Gail Crosman-Moore and now I want to try more Boro.

glassguy24
05-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Phillip here in Abq NM. work for Schott.
Started lampworking with boro on and off since 2005 but now back in to it 100%
trying to get into artsy type shit, but pipes pay the bills.

Jimi The Don
05-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Welcome Alex. Welcome Joe. Welcome Corry and welcome Phillip. Glad to have you all around, this forum will definitely help you along in your glass careers. Remember to use the search function before asking any questions or cranky lampworkers will chastise you, and don't get discouraged if you get your testicles busted, we're all a bunch of sarcastic asshats..
cheers!

syraglass
05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok name is mike aka quartz guy (to some )so here's my story I been addicted to glass since 97 started working with quartz till bout 04 was introduced to boro in 03 had a difficult time with the transition. Met a lot of great people along the way especially at agi in 03 and 04. A long story short I dusted off my torch and kiln found some glass playin around a little .. thinkin bout trying. Some fusing any tips.

Still
05-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Astrid
Soft glass since 2007, Daily production for a little over a year now.
Boro's on the way. :D

Matt P
05-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I was looking through your etsy page, Still/Astrid, the beads look great! Welcome to the site, wealth of knowledge here!

Losiwells
05-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Hello y'all.
My name is Carlos. I have been at the glass scene now for about 8 months.
I entered this years marble exchange and really looking forward to receiving other members marbles.

From Dallas

sharyl865
06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi all, I am Sharyl and I am addicted to glass.

Chad S
06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Started studying/researching glass at the beginning of this year. Been Behind the torch for bout a month learing the basics at a friends shop. Now I'm In the process of setting up my own studio, should be back on the torch within a month. Can't freaking wait either!

BTW- This forum is dope

Twist/29/M/PA

CripSkillz
06-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Dammm look at all the noobs in a month hehe weeeeeeed. Kick ass. Free box of random goods for best set of tits thats that say Melting Pot Rox in magic marker..;P. and I mean ona set of real tits... no bullshit :D

Matt P
06-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Do my hairy tits count, cripskillz?

:D

Julian
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Cool, welcome folks!

If yours is the only entry you must win, right? Pony up, Sparks.

Matt P
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Free box of random goods for best set of tits thats that say Melting Pot Rox in magic marker..;P. and I mean ona set of real tits... no bullshit :D

alright, one real set of tits, coming right up :D

you asked for it ;) hope I didn't violate rule #4 of the ToS :tongue2:

Icarus
06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Those aren't tits. Those are tots at best.

flashscotch
06-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Hello all,

the names Andy. Been curious and very interested in glass work for years now and starting to get into it the more I find out about it. Currently residing in California

STROKER
06-20-2012, 06:22 AM
sorry you spelled rox wrong. your entry is invalid.

please try again with something a bit less shaggy.:twitch:

alright, one real set of tits, coming right up :D

you asked for it ;) hope I didn't violate rule #4 of the ToS :tongue2:

Brian Sweeterman
06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Brian Sweeterman AKA Sweets...Back in Eugene after some years in colorado. Blazin 14 years now

Trevor
06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Trevor, aka Tiberius, residential glazer, seattle area
recently discovered my passion: lampwork :)

Julian
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Nice work, Rookie... um.. well, I think the contest is still open. No word from the promoter yet.

Welcome to the forum, Andy, Brian and Trevor!

Blitzfike
06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Re: Rollcall. Blitzfike here from south central Oklahoma. I'm new to torch work, been doing stuff in the kiln for a while and am heavy into metal work as well. Great group, I stumbled on the group through a search for oxygen concentrator info, I currently have two invacare 5XL machines and a homefill compressor. I lurk much more than I post. I am an old retired guy, 100% disabled vet and am always looking to learn something new.. Blitzfike

WCGMille
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm Laura, from northern ca/bay area. Been lurking for a while and recently got a job helping to sell some mille for family/friends. Can't wait to get to know the community. :)

Nightflierlampwork
07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Scott here from Oregon A.k.a Nightflier of Nightflier & Kids Lampwork. I'm located in Dallas and I'm in the process of starting my own lampwork Business out of my home to accommodate my disability. Bean burning for six months i was hooked from day one. Live, love, respect always!

brothergus
07-18-2012, 05:37 AM
brothergus. noob. studio 253 tacoma is my starting place. peace.

p.j.
07-18-2012, 05:41 AM
welcome to the forum. this is possibly the coolest place on the net....no, it is the coolest

WcG
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Hey everyone
I'm pretty new to glass, only been on the torch for something like 10 months and I don't get nearly as much time as I should be gettin, I got to work on that but it's been so damn hot out it's hard.
Anyway I'd like to meet as many of you as possable, probably going to try and make it out to AGI next year if possable.
So I'm planning on moving to Michigan soon, kalamazoo area, but some time after that I plan on taking a trip across the country from MI all the way down to New Mexico and probably southern cali.
Plan on hittin up Colorado and probably makin some other stops along the way if anyone is down to have me by let me know.

Thanks, guys you have taught me alot already

Deranged Lion
07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Howdy , I'm Jaime / Lionel / Felix operating under Deranged Lion Glass Works . I'm out of Fort Wayne ,IN for now. Started getting around a torch about 6 years ago but just got my own shop going April 2011. I just want to learn as much as possible and keep passing it forward.

jonathan werksman
07-23-2012, 11:16 PM
hello my name is jon aka bobo I am new to lampwork after wanting to work glass for a long time and I am loving it. Hopefully everyone enjoys my creations.

DonnaJ
07-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi! My name is Donna and I am definitely new to lampworking. I am an old hand at stained glass as I had my own business years ago, but have always been interested in flameworking with glass. I am looking forward to meeting like minded people here and to learning everything I possibly can.

mikehighman
07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
highman aka the highman 10 years torching,made florida panhandle my home. public and private studio, delta mag and carlise combo

SpaceCadet
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
wilson 28, aka HADOUKEN, just got started on the torch march 27th 2012, i now know what i want to do for the rest of my life. just opened a store in peoria IL, called Inspired. much love and glass everyone. new to forums here so looking forward to learning from everyone.

Chile Ortega
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Don 'Chile' Ortega. Owner of This Place Blows Studios. Been around awhile. 12 years or so...Started at Jerome Baker, moved on to Trident Glass after OPD. Got out of the game for a few years. Started my studio about 4 years ago in Portland, OR. Half-assed my way through glass and construction for three years. Last August, I pulled my head out of my ass, and went back to functional art full time. Every day is a learning experience,and I am loving every minute of it. Good to be here.

DLC2
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey everyone. Dan here and I can't claim any time on a torch cause I would be lying. That is why I am here to pick your brains.

PyroChixRock
08-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Don 'Chile' Ortega. Owner of This Place Blows Studios. Been around awhile. 12 years or so...Started at Jerome Baker, moved on to Trident Glass after OPD. Got out of the game for a few years. Started my studio about 4 years ago in Portland, OR. Half-assed my way through glass and construction for three years. Last August, I pulled my head out of my ass, and went back to functional art full time. Every day is a learning experience,and I am loving every minute of it. Good to be here.

Now there's a name I haven't seen in forever. Hey, Chili....I worked with you at JBD. Welcome!

Alvin Olmos
08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
My name Alvin Olmos. I have been on and off the torch for about two years now, probably only 40-50 hours behind a torch. No real classes taken besides when I first started, I was taught how to make a mushroom implosion pendant. Ever since then it's been all hands on experience experimenting with certain techniques learned from watching YouTube videos on lampworking. It took me a while to save up but I was finally able to buy myself a nice kit with a national 6b and a bunch of tools to get me started but i still needed a kiln. So after saving for a couple months and i bought a small paragon kiln which has been working great for me so far. I never wanna stop working behind the torch. I have been dreaming of becoming a glassblower for almost 2 decades since I picked up my first glass pipe and even today I still dream about being behind the torch almost every day and it sucks because I live in the middle of nowhere and supplies are very hard to get ahold of. But that's not gonna stop me whenever I have the chance to get behind the torch I do, even if it's just making a couple dabbers or pendants. Well enough rambling from me. I just wanna say thank you for such an awesome website.

glassfan101
08-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey the names Adam and I'm in Greenville sc and thought id register and introduce myself.I've only tried my hand at lamp work once and loved it. Im very interested in learning as much as I can and getting behind a torch as soon as possible.

Billyben
08-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey my name is Ben and I am from New Zealand. Been torching about a month now, about 20 hours all up. Hoping to get heaps more time in when my oxycon gets here!

peace lilly
08-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Hola! My name is ana aka peace lilly I live in Austin TX. Started blowing glass with a hottie named Aymie back in oct 2010 took a small break to have my first kiddo. Now I am working with Hoss and it has been great. (totally name dropping here) Trying to get my groove back.

Aymie
08-19-2012, 11:33 AM
It will take a few tries, but you will find your groove...it's just waiting for you.

So glad you are back on it.

Love this girl. She is awesome. And she loves shower lube.

Devithatr
08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Hey, shops back up & running in central PA. First flame since 1999 in NorCal, had a shop in Eureka, put it down back when fume & turbo cobalt inside was king. Feels like a brave new scientific world we're in now... Getting old sucks.

SimplyBea
08-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi folks....it's been forever yet it seems like only just a moment ago......
My name's Bea, SimplyBea on the web and I just love melting glass.
I started with soft glass about 10 years ago but it has been mainly dabble time to de-stress, now I have just gotten hooked on boro and am just LOVING the ability to do small sculptural pieces with losing the blob of glass and/or cracking it!!!
Still just hobbyist but one day.....I might be able to leave the job that pays for the glass I so love melting!!! :bouncy:

Vira
08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
hi bea, another South Aussie! yay!

SimplyBea
08-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Hi Vira!
Where in Adelaide/SA are you???

Ybot
09-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Hello from Australia, Have no torch time at all.. Ive stumbled across this site from grasscity in my search of how to melt. ive stalked you all for a while and now its time to ask some questions. look forwards to to learning the art from you all. some of the things on this site have blown my mind. Im usually a reptile bloke but i think this is the first thing i have found that i'm as excited about as i am my reptiles. so good to meet you all. :) any other Aussies here?

Toby

lol the post above ^^ hahah i'm in Adelaide aswell..

selioph6
09-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Hello from the grim north of England! I've been lurking for ages so it's about time I fully signed up.

Dreadbeard
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Josh, aka, Dreadbeard here. Live in Austin, tx. Been blowing for about 3 months now. Learned most everything so far from Aymie. Looking foward to meeting more of you in the near future! I'll get a progression thread up soon so y'all can see my stuff. Word.

Aymie
09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Welcome buddy! I love this guy. He listens, is eager AND willing to learn and take instruction.

I have taken a slew of noobs under my wing recently. I am hard on them and they take it well. And this guy is one of my favorite and most promising students.

HOSS
09-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Welcome Josh, you're in good hands. :D

Captain Glass
09-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone, i've been lurking for quite sometime and now that i have a good bit of my set-up assembled i would like to get more active in the community and gather some of the knowledge everyone is nice enough to share. After taking a couple glasses in central Florida i knew i was hooked, now i've got my lynx and am almost ready to go. Have a good night everyone.

Hareball
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Hello Glass-aholic World! My name is Kristina. I've been playing around with glass for 6 years and am now trying to get serious. I'm living it up in the Vacationland State!

Dreadbeard
09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys! I look forward to sharing my progress with everyone :)

rob2164
09-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Quick introduction, my name's Rob. I live in Lassen County. I recently had all my equipment stolen and need to replace everything. If anybody has any used equipment they would like to get rid of, I need A torch, kiln, graphite, and tools. I would apreciate any replies. My email is roberthazleton@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Raimond
09-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Hello all,

Semper Fi...

swillz
10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey what’s up everybody my name is Sean. Been on here for a minute and figured I would say hello. Thanks to all for the incredibly useful info and for sharing!! Hopefully I can contribute as well. Been on the torch off and on since 2006 and do the scientific thing to pay the bills.

bluesoldierart
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
rob where are u located in NC I'm based in NC also

wrists
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Joe 36
portage, wi
started blowing glass 2 1/2 months ago and Im hooked

xn4rk
10-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey fellow torch-addicts!

My name is John, I'm 37 and I live in the Chicagoland area.

I've dabbled with borosilicate on and off for years, but have never had a dedicated area to work, was always getting sucked into corporate life (cough, cough, I know).

Haven't done shit with my gear in ages, but I've finally got time to burn now! :grin:

Really simple setup for now, bullet burner, hurricane generator, mekker burner & vermiculite (I know, I need a KILN!).

Ready to be humbled by the masters and hopefully befriended by the fellowship.

Love you fuckers! 8p

Peace,

John

casper1275
10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
HELLO everyone i go by casper and live in west palm beach fl just getting into this gorgess hobby / art learning as much as i can befor buying all the stuff needed would love to apprenticship some where nearby but cant find anything so if u or anyone u know blow glass around here hit me up iam ready and willing to learn and do wats needed

H1JACK3R
10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm Dylan, I'm 23 and I'm from Springfield, IL

Been interested for a while, but have had very limited time behind the torch. It's tough getting started, and it's also tough to get people to let you use their bench.
In less than half a dozen hours I've produced some basic spoons, chillums and pendants.

Because of this, I'm building my own set-up, slowly but surely. I'll post my equipment on the proper thread, but I'm mostly there!

I was just introduced to the forum by xn4rk, and hopefully I can start a progression thread soon.

I'm very open to criticism, and am ready to learn anything you're willing to teach!

graymanandy
10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Andy
Cocoa, Florida
started melting in 2000 took a 4 year break starting in '08 but now I'm back at it full time.
Catching up with the changes has been fun.

Rollomite
11-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey! Hey!
I'm Rodney, I'm 36 and I'm from Michigan City, IN.
I've been fascinated by glass forever, but only recently found someone willing to sit down and share their knowledge and experience with me.
I was addicted immediately.
I'm currently renting time on a buddy's bench, but I'm in the process of buying gear and have a space to work in when it's ready to set up.
Glad to have been turned on to the forum and I look forward to learning from and sharing with the community.
Such a great resource.
Melt away!

s1ckAr
11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone! checking in from the Tampa area Florida. Never blown any glass but looking to start. Cant wait to get started. I looked around, is there anything that lists all of the supplies a beginner really needs? Have a list started, but wanna make sure I don't forget about something I don't find so obvious. hopefully should have everything all set up before christmas :) Thanks everyone, excited to be a part of this community.

Captain Glass
11-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone! checking in from the Tampa area Florida. Never blown any glass but looking to start. Cant wait to get started. I looked around, is there anything that lists all of the supplies a beginner really needs? Have a list started, but wanna make sure I don't forget about something I don't find so obvious. hopefully should have everything all set up before christmas :) Thanks everyone, excited to be a part of this community.

Hello from a fellow Floridian. Since your in the Tampa area I'd check out zen glass studios or (barefoot stash) here on the forums. They do some really cool stuff there and can teach you some amazing things as well as point you in the right direction as to where to get the things that are a must have. Also on every third Thursday they have an open studio night where a lot of people from around the area come hang out, learn, melt and just have an over all good time. I went for the first time this past Thursday and am definitely looking forward to the next time it's happening. But seriously check it out its a cool place with some cool people and some good vibes. Good luck with everything and hit me up if you need help with things although I'm a newb myself I'm prob a lil bit ahead of you at this point and am willing to help. Peace bro

hyla
11-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Lynn, alias Hyla.
Austin TX
55 yo
newbie at this just under 1 year
my new career and loving it
I work in Bildo's studio
I am doing hot glass - boro, warm glass fusing and slumping
experimenting and growing each and every day - I love glass!!!

s1ckAr
11-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello from a fellow Floridian. Since your in the Tampa area I'd check out zen glass studios or (barefoot stash) here on the forums. They do some really cool stuff there and can teach you some amazing things as well as point you in the right direction as to where to get the things that are a must have. Also on every third Thursday they have an open studio night where a lot of people from around the area come hang out, learn, melt and just have an over all good time. I went for the first time this past Thursday and am definitely looking forward to the next time it's happening. But seriously check it out its a cool place with some cool people and some good vibes. Good luck with everything and hit me up if you need help with things although I'm a newb myself I'm prob a lil bit ahead of you at this point and am willing to help. Peace bro

Thanks homie! I'll definitely be paying them a visit. Wish I had made this before last Thursday.

neddowerx
11-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Hello glass world! My name is Nathan Neddo, working boro for 14years. Self-taught, live in central vt.now. glass has transformed so much in late years I feel its time to reach out. I've owned and used these torches/burners in order. Started on a national 3-A( wanting to make bubs!), then bought a gtt lynx (seemed like it was gonna be a bigger flame from the heat- hype) and then went with the first torch recommended for bigger work, a carlisle cc. I worked on 2 diff cc's, a firebird,and a cc+ for most of those years(mostly a cc watercooled) upto last year when I moved to a perfect condition Bethlehem model-A. I now own two model-A's, home-made watercooling jackets run with the outer gas ports plugged for better combustion,and flame characteristics. Was lucky enough to recently get one brand- new as in never used, until me. Its the most luck I ever had(pretty much). Now burning on the new A with alil help from an old beth pme Sharp-flame. Waiting on a gtt pheonix that w&w agreed to make for me to piggy-back on my A, for my own tripple-stage. Looking at the new grand(when it comes out) to put the pheonix ontop- best of both worlds, kinda. I love torches, and love talking about them. I'm excited to now have this outlet geared towards us glass-heads! I'm happy to be a part of this- finally. Thankyous Misha.

Naby
11-26-2012, 03:00 AM
My name is Nicasio but I have been using my initials NABY for the glass world. I have been torching on and off for the last six years or so with n3rd but primarily I was a bartender. Earlier this year I quit that nonsense and have focused on glass work. It's about time I got more involved with the glass community. So... hello everyone! I will cya soon.

fourtwentyish
12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Hello talkglass members! It is nice to be here and have this wonderful resource. My gf and I live in Seattle and have recently gotten into the magical world of glass. She has been mostly making fused glass jewelry with our EZ-Pro Deluxe kiln from Delphi. We have a Mega Minor that I can not wait to start lampworking with. It takes time coming up with the funding for all the tools so we are still waiting to get the oxycon to power the torch. We also have a EZ-Pro grinder(been using for a bit now) and foredom flex shaft grinder(newest purchase, was missing a part, still have to "modify" workbench to clamp it down so it hasn't been used yet). The torch was bought for bead work down the road while fusing and slumping were primary first projects. After watching the Documentary "Degenerate Art" on netflix we are both totally stoked to get the torch running and start lampworking asap. Looking forward to years of interaction with you all!

TheGGirl
12-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi there, GGirl from tc here. Blowing glass since 02, V.Island resident, glad to be on the site.

spacekasselglass
12-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Yo I'm just startin out in the art glass world of boro and looking for anyone that has any advice on good places in michigan to learn?
Space Kassel Glass

Mon
12-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Hey everyone!

I became a member of this forum a while ago but did not do much with it up to now..
Well, I am a guy from the Netherlands who has a degree in scientific glassblowing since 1993 (LIS). As my career path changed after that (long story), I have not used my skills for over 15 years. A few years ago I decided to get back to the roots as they would call it, and made myself a little set-up in the garage. I bought myself an affordable torch (red max from Nortel) and some tools, gass and glass and off I went!
It really feels good to do some nice stuff again. Although the skills are still there, it is a complete new world to me. The bong community is amazing! The art I see is absolutely stunning.
I hope this forum will also help me finding more contacts and possibly collabs..

Anyone who wants to check it out, I have a few places:
http://www.youtube.com/user/poelgeestglass?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Poelgeestglass-Ramon-vink/390601810957472?ref=hl
www.poelgeestglass.nl

Milkman
12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
My name is Matt, im 26 years old. I live in just outside of Atlanta like 25 mins from downtown. I've only been working glass on a torch for a couple of months now, but I can't imagine myself happier doing anything else. Im really glad to finally be a part of the site, and look forward to everything I can learn about glass manipulation.

Hobo
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
hey hey everyone...long timelerker here.....

Hobo here...thanks for having such a great place for us newbs to come and learn....

im 42 yrs young...new to glass ....i have 3 college degrees and make money ant none of them....i currently work in north dakota and texas in the oil field...
trying to make the big cash now so i dont have to work for ever....i hate that word "work"..im sure everyone is with me on that ...lol...
i am a married father of 3 ages 4/9/17.....ya i know there a little spread out...lol...believe me i know....they let me know constantly thqat they cant get along...lol
excited about glass work...ordered some stuff to play around with just a hot head and some glass...wanna see if it is for me before spending a ton of money...
im sure its for me cause i got this terrable itch i just cant seem to reach....thinking that glass rod might just reach it...
i cant wait for it to get here i wanna start pulling and stretching and shapin on that glass....untill then......rasta la vista

Colin Allhose
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey guys! Clifford here, 28 living in New Orleans, new to glass.
I rescue dogs for a living, work at Villalobos Pitbull Rescue as a kennel manager, maybe you've seen our show on animal planet "pitbulls and parolees."

I've been wanting to start lampworking for years, but lifes crazy ways kept me from getting started, it's time finally! I even bought a torch for a buddy a few years ago and learned some of the very basics. He owed me some money from a vehicle I sold years prior and when he was ready to pay me back, we found a screaming deal on a CC+ so I took the cash and we jumped on it.

Anyways, I've been saving $$ & It's time for me to jump in the fun. After hours of researching, I am more interested in a GTT than a CC, I have enough to get a mirage but they are so hard to find that I was thinking I would just get a Lynx to get started for the first 4-6 months as i get more familiar with how glass flows.
~Unless anyone wants to try and talk me out of that?~

the other question i had is, does anyone have any recommendations for where to order lampworking supplies from? I saw the section that lists the suppliers. I found that sundance glass has a lot of what i want but i was hoping for a confirmation that their supplies (tools, marvers, regulators, etc.) are quality products or if anyone has any other suppliers that might be better? I like to invest in my tools and i think a few dollars extra for something nicer is usually worth it. SOOOOO-
~~~Please help point me in the right direction!~~~ :D

I am estatic to finally be pursuing this in life and very happy to have the wealth of information that there is on here!
Cheers ~
CLifford

oasis7
12-29-2012, 04:39 AM
hello every one...my name is randy i am in the process of opening up a shop here in called oasis 7....and i thought you know i always wanted to blow the glass my self if i am going to open a shop might as well learn...so here i am looking for some help...i am currently looking to buy a starter kit either online from a vendor or from some ones personal collection of tools trying to help me out...any thing helps tools advice new places to learn...have a wonderful day every one

Skii-Hy
12-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Hey my name is Skyler not AKA anything as of yet. I am new to glassblowing and and very interested. I am working on getting my equipment to start an apprenticeship as well as reading anything I can. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Thank you,

BigDee
12-31-2012, 07:50 PM
wassup everybody im dave from the philadelphia area, 18 years young and just set up my own place to work. got a few hours on the torch and im so addicted! hit me up philly ragers!

PhilosophicalPete
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
How's it going everyone, I'm Pete and I'm 23; I live down here in sunny Fullerton, California. I've been working with glass on and off for just over a year now. I started with soft glass and was eventually sponsored by a local artist and now have a nice little work-space setup in my garage. I just started working with boro recently and I already like it more than soft glass. I have only taken one "into to beadmaking" class, and decided that I wasn't going to get a decent glass education unless I forked out a few grand and went somewhere good. So basically I'm self taught but I'm enjoying every minute of it. I would like to think I'm doing pretty well, but I guess once I start selling I'll find out. Look out for my pictures, I'm a photo whore.

Silly
01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi

I'm old and senile. Been playing for 10 years or so with scientific glass out of the Los Angeles area.
Just saying hello and let you know I have a rash thats real itchy.

Also looking for some shop supplies to start playing at home so my rash goes away

If your selling equipment I am buying local only please

Tim

Peace :)

PyroChixRock
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Welcome! :)

The Uncle Ronnie
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello everybody, couple time poster here and amused lurker most of the time. My name is Ronnie 43 years young haha. Was a certified X-ray combination welder in the Power plant industry from 90 till 04. Traveled all over the couhtry doing that. In 05 till 08 I was a robotics and electronics technician. I traveled all over the world fixing Packaging machines and lines in the manufacturing industry that their maintenance department couldn't fix. A lot of my time was spent in the food processing and packaging industry. In 08 til 2011 I was the Maintenance manager for the 2nd largest manufacture of porous plastics. We made 75% percent of all the plastic wicks inside of Glade plug ins and other's as well.We were bought out by the #1 manufacturer in the industry. They already had somebody doing my job so bye bye. Now about the glass. My step son Max trainque has been doing it since approx 98. He is an accomplished off hand glass blower and lampworker. I've watched him for years and in 2000 I bought a major with premix and made some beads and stuff as a hobbie when I came home from the road. Not for very long though sad to say. So thru out the years I've watched and dabbled a little bit and have alway's loved doing it and alway's sad when I stopped. Now I've decided to take my future in my own hands. Got 12x12 shed from a neighbor bought a lynx and piggy backed my major and a F-130. My boy Max has been unbelievable in all this. Every spare moment he has either I go to Asheville to see him or he comes to Atl and teaches me. But a real bonus to this is he introduced me to Bronx and he has beeen teaching me also about once a week. The moral of this story is, I have all the tools necessary to accomplish my goal but without the classes so graciously given to me I would have made the same amount of pipes but they would have been done the wrong way. By being shown the correct way not reading or watching videos you can catch the heat signature of the glass and flame that you need at certian times to do certain things. So fellow newbs when the elders tell you to take a class listen to them cause doing the same thing wrong over and over is insanity. JMHO Without being taught we do not learn. Sorry so long but Hello and thanks for all the great information and entertainment that Y'all provide. USE THE F@$#N SEARCH LOL

Abu
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi! my name is Fernando! 29 years old! im from Argentina!! My friends callme Abu, its a diminutive of Grandfather in Spanish. here is so difficult blow glass!! we dont have glass shop like in USA! we dont have "glass culture" jeje

But i wanna learn glass blowing!

Thank you very much for let me in!!

NovaSludge
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Dan, 25, on the torch about 10 hours as of 10/2012 @ The Heat Base in the NoVA area

roh_diamant
01-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, I'm Kristyn, 26, live in sunny south Florida, have loved glass for 15 years, and this is the first time in my life I have the resources and time to get started. I'm here to be a sponge and absorb the wealths of knowledge I'm sure you all have from years of experience. I want to learn about glass, inside and out, techniques, tips, etc, so I'm sure there are some articles on this site, I haven't fully explored though, but thanks in advance to everyone. I also want to get started with classes or working with glass as soon as possible, but I really don't know how to get started...if anyone has some advice. We do have a local head shop that blows their own glass, I guess talking to them would be advised? I also can't find any classes anywhere, but I'm also not eductated on where to look. A little about me, I have 2 boxer dogs, I'm currently a hairstylist, and i love reggae, dub/chillstep, and the beach. :peace:

davedude
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Hey everybody, Dave from Cape Cod here. Brand new to this whole thing. I've spent a few hours on my buddy Jonny B's torch & I'm addicted. I'm gettin my 1st torch today! Nortel Red Max. Can't wait to get outta work today & get her all set up.

Loki Glass
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Whats up dude,glad to see you joined up!

section8
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi. I'm Erik.
In central Vermont
Trying to blow glass sporadically since around 01 but I'm a noob cuz it was sporadic and my skills aren't great. I have a good job that pays well so I'm not looking to start a glass career going to product shows or anything. Just wanna create beautiful things efficiently that you can smoke from. Unload some here n there to recoup a few costs but more hobby minded. Gifts n things to aww you people. I have a minor burner n major with premix top with stock needle tip. I like people, places, n things, long walks on the beach. Candlelit dinners. Oh. Wrong site.

MrSmeeth
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi all been lurking here for awhile. I am a highschool teacher and potter from SLC Utah. I worked as a punty boy from 2001-2007 in a hot shop in Sundance Utah. I got a torch for my birthday last year and have been making murrini ever since. I work mostly soft glass but as my stash grows I will be producing boro murrini. Big thanks to those who post here you have helped me do everything from clean the glass out of my ports to adusting the mix on my flame.

Steve

Simian
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Hey guys. I am a completely green newb. I have nothing and never have done anything. I am currently shopping for gear to set up a small workspace in my shop at home. I have done some basic knife smithing and a ton of melon and fruit carving when I was a chef. I no longer do either and glasswork seemed like it fit me and my creative instincts. I only have one professional in my area and he is not close so I need a small set up at home to be able to practice. Any advice on gear would be much appreciated.

I am 38 and live in Durango, CO. I am currently a produce assistant manager at a local grocery store. Not very creative stuff.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you all and a bunch of cuts and burns. :)

Darvick
01-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Jeremy K aka. Darvick aka Twisted from fox valley wisconsin im a 8 year rookie still learning every day and loving it

GGirl
01-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi there, just re-introducing myself.........when i tried to register on the site my name was taken so I made a new one, then I thought hmmmm, did I register here 8 years ago and forget? ya, I upped my own name and didn't realise till now when my password worked! ha on me. Haven't been online much obviously but business has forced my hand so i guess I'm in. lol

M.D.Glass
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
What's up, David from Athens, GA. Finance student (soon graduate) , turning glass blower. Excited to read and learn from all the experienced workers on here. I've only had this account for 5 hours and I've already learned a ton.

JokerzTrix
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi! I'm Chandra ^.^ I'm an at-home mom in NW Washington and have almost a year on the torch. :)

anendeloflorien
01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Hey guys I'm Adam, from New Hampshire, recently got my BS in Wildlife Ecology from UNH, I am a 100% snake geek, and I am a TOTAL glass noob :D Just made my first attempt at a mushroom marble with my man Plum Tuckered yesterday, after a few intro lessons and a little bit of torch time (came out looking more like a peanut than a mushroom lol), but I am hooked! I've got a little 6-8 month break before I (hopefully) start grad school down at texas A&M so my goal is to master the basic skills with Rick, start collecting the tools I will need, and be able to set up my own workspace when I get down there! Really looking forward to learning this craft!

May Fern
01-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Mary, aka May Fern, started with stained glass in '99, worked for a few months at a local glass shop in Appleton WI, (very short time!!), quit there and started my own business. Fused glass and lampwork since 2000. Have a pretty decent shop, do some teaching for FVTC and an arts center in Waupaca. Always on the look out for others that love glass! The shop is open most days for whatever people decide to head in for. Just upgraded to a Lynx and loving it!

OOTO
01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Jacob AKA ORDER OF THE ORANGE
I am married with 6 children.
Just figuring out this whole forum thing.
Working at the torch for 5 months now.
Put some pictures up, have a ton more but I think I need to figure out how to sort them better from beginning to end.
Moving to Southern Oregon in a month.
Kind of a jack-of-all type of person, done a bit of everything..
Love the art of glass, main interest is in functional glass sculpture.

Thank you to all that have posted information in this forum, I have been blessed to be surrounded by dozens of very talented glass artists and still I have turned to this forum for information at least a couple times a week. The information you have all amassed here is astounding.

newbie wan
01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey, the name's Roy and I'm from Idaho. I've been behind a torch off and on for three years now, and I'm about 90% self taught. I'm hoping to meet some people in my area and learn what I can from everyone here.

italvibesglass
02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Dylan, Pretty new to all this, first time on the site! Been playing around with glass for about a year. Ontario So California!!

oh.ly.
02-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Yo. I'm O'ly aka olli, twstinger. Just gettin started in glass, can't wait to expaned my skills and Knowledge wit this community!!!

sugarloafboarder7
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Hey guys I'm dalton. I just got my torch waiting for it to arrive! And looking for the rest of the setup. I'm also currently a full time college student in Orono Maine.

TCsGlassworks
02-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Name: Tom

been on the torch only for a year now. self tough, with the help of google and lampworking books.

Torch: National 8M with SM21 surface mix torch.
looking to upgrade to Nortel Red Max with pre-mix top.

looking forward to staying active on the forum and expanding my knowledge

rotaecho
02-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Howdy! I am totally new to Lampworking. Over the years I have noticed that I treat my glass pipes with a personal attachment that I included in the tools of my professional career. I've been mesmerized by the flame for years and after some inner-core searching, I felt this is the next step. Thus far, I've been reading the forums of this site and lampworksetc for newbies--the dictionary, types of torches/brands, building a studio, safety, etc.

Per much read advice, I will have my copy of Contemporary Lampworking Volume III by Bandhu Dunham on Friday. I have a class lined up in the San Fernando Valley, CA. around the first week of March--enough time to get forum/book information soaked in.

During the day I'm a CTO for an internet based start-up. By night, I play with the pups and follow my passions (hobbies), but like most things I take on as a hobby, it'll likely become an obsession :)

Normal shit besides that, just a geek in Los Angeles thirty-two years old. I would LOVE to connect with other Lampworkers in the LA area.

Peace,

-Will

badfish1337
02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for a little while now, I started blowing glass a few weeks ago, and am really enjoying taking classes with a local artist. Some of the things that I have seen on this site have been really inspiring, and I look forward to progressing and developing my own technique.

At this point I am making small chillums and spoons along with small soft glass figurines. If anyone has any links to free literature that I can read while away from the torch, I am always looking for something to increase my knowledge and provide me with ideas on how to develop new skills.

-Chris

Baha.
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Hey guys first time one here. Im a little over a year on the torch...... Addicted as hell. Stoked to start being part of this movement.

Kitt
02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm Micah from Spokane, my friends call me Kitt. I'm mostly self taught, started in '97 back in Prescott, AZ. I made mostly production pieces for the guys I worked for, and didn't really have the freedom to experiment. After a falling out with my friend, I lost all my gear. Finally getting myself a proper shop together where I can do my own thing after a long hiatus. It's amazing to see how big glassblowing has gotten over the years. Can't wait to get back into it and learn some new techniques. I'm hoping to make some friends and learn some new tricks of the trade.

ApeironCreations
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm Zachery (or Zach) from Dahlonega Ga, very recently got into glass, still working on getting my shop setup correctly but I've got practically everything I need! I'm a crafter of every type being able to manipulate the world around me is one of the most glorious and invigorating sensations and I'm completely addicted to it. Hoping to find some good friends and mentors and make some memories and badass glass along the way!

n.pouch
02-20-2013, 02:12 AM
Howdy, im Nathan. aka. Pouch ive been torchin a lil over a year now in Austin Tx but possibly movin back to the dfw area soon. Been creeping on here for a minute and figured ide introduce myself, so once again hi

s33n_glass
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm sean sales from OKC. I'm 22 and just started melting glass a few days ago. Excited to harness my addictive personality in a positive way. So glad I have found a creative medium that really works for me. Thanks for all the info and help from everyone here.

Lilinkdemon
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Kevin
Port orange/Daytona beach
Mover by day
No experience, but looking to learn!!

samoth890
02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey all. My name is Thomas. I'm 21, been torching for about a year in Oklahoma. Signed up for TMP a while back, but kinda spaced and never posted til today. Looking forward to posting work pics and getting to know everybody!

dukeglass
02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm dan from upstate NY, have been melting since november '12. lovin the art, the people, pretty much everything about it :) i used to make wooden plugs in a piercing shop, i worked in an architectural glass manufacturing plant for 5 years, where i was introduced to some of the science of glass, as well as participated in making the largest jumbo tron screen to date (which is now in the Dallas Cowboys stadium). I also toured the east coast multiple times in my old metal band called "Mercia" (they are still going strong if any of you like newer metal). my facebook name is "DBglassARTS" if any of you want to look me up on there as well :)

Gnarly
02-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh why hello fellow flameworks & glass addicts of the internet!

My name is Caitlin Amy, AKA Gnarly. ((My favorate animals are Narwhals so that's kinda where that came from. Gnarly Glass Narwhals woot woot))
I'm 21 years old, just started lampworking last year. Have taken a couple classes at a local studio and absolutely love it. The people, places, and medium itself are all amazing in this industry. Except for the rare times i can get in to the studio, mostly stuck on a hot head torch, limited to soft glass at the moment. Frustrating but experience is experience. I'm looking into amping up and taking the plunge into getting myself an ACTUAL torch. Not sure where to start, so any advise would be amazing. Dig the Carlisle Black Widow, Nortel Red Max, and GTT Delta. Also in need of tools and better eye protection. Really want to get into functional art, hollow boro work, and mixed media everything. Happy to have found this place, pleasure to be posting and introduce myself. Love to learn, so help a sister out c:

Madcap Glass
03-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I am Willy. I am just about to embark on this journey. Been wanting to blow glass for about 15 years but never thought I'd be able to get all set up. Now I got someone who's willing to help with some hands on experience, and I am looking at getting my first torch, probably a Bravo. Actually stumbled upon this place while looking for a torch and spent a few hours reading the forums. Very informative. Kind of feeling like an ant among giants having ZERO experience, but I am committing to this. I am in Southern Oregon, btw.

steph
03-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm Stephanie, I started taking lampworking classes in October 2012, realized just how much I enjoy it, and have been spending about 8 hours a week on a torch ever since. Right now I love the form factor of marbles, along with the endless possibilities for their designs. Hoping to also delve into hollow work at some point, although all I can do so far are (sloppy) disc flips. I'm in the process of setting up a studio in my garage so I can get many more hours under my belt. Should be done by late Spring, but highly depends on when my torch and oxycons arrive! Glad to be here, i've read lots of great stuff as a lurker over the past few months.

SteamPunk9lass
03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Colt aka "Coop"
23 Fresh on the torch with a week under me and loving it.
inspired by pipes, victorian/mechanical style
livin in Appleton, WI

Nice to meet ya guys.

truedef
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Helly everyone, I have been recently inspired in glass lamp working and want to take in the hobby. Looking to purchase a setup soon and start making my own art

Midtown Smokeshop
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Whats up ya'll! Victor from Miami. Just started behind the torch making marbles and attempting mushrooms "/ lol beginner status. Hope to learn a ton from all of you! Have a fantastic day!

Captain Glass
03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Gotta start somewhere dude
Welcome.

Djkoumou
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Jimbo here, nice to make your acquaintance. Fresh face on the Toronto lamp working screen. Had the urge to get behind a torch for the last 6 years and finally did it. Super beginner with about 12 hours experience but living it. Just learning the torch and how glass flows mostly working on peanut pipes and oil dishes.

Hop Head
03-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Johnny, just getting started, from Galveston, TX

Zippeay
03-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Hey there new to the sight, I know very little about any glass art but I would like to learn as much as I can. I build hot rods, draw, paint, snow mobile, mountain bike, and practice brazillian Jui jitsu. That's about it, thanks for having me, I'm sure I will have lots of dumb questions so bare with me.

truedef
03-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Names Tyler, Im 21, Live in Houston TX currently. Born in Lincoln, NE.

Just getting into the hobby, would love to collab with some people and see some of their stuff and talk about the hobby.

Aymie
03-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Hey Tyler, check out the Armadillo Art Glass Initiative...we are putting on a huge event in Austin next month. www.armadilloartglassinitiative.com

truedef
03-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Is there any charge on the entry for this event?

Aymie
03-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Nope. Free and open to the public. Full three days of fun.

HGuidry
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone. I joined this group a few years ago when I first became interested in working with glass but unfortunately went no where with that desire. My interest in this art has recently been resparked and I am looking for ways to get started. Is anyone on this forum from the New Orleans area that could help me out with getting started?

flameboy wanabes mom
03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm Julie, mom to Josh, my wannabe flame boy son, age 13.
Sorry this is such a long intro! but, my... what a long, strange trip it's been...

I personally work with fused/warm glass and play around a lot with recycled glass but I enjoy ALL forms of glass art.
I'm a homeschooling, stay at home mom with three kids currently 11, 13, and 15 years old.

The journey that led me here started last Spring. My husband had a sabbatical and we planned a ten week family road trip from TX to FL, then up to Nova Scotia and back down through the mid west. We camped and stayed with friends and family along the way hitting more museums, galleries and parks then I can recall. It was great to teach the kids history, art and science as we traveled as a family.

Of course I wanted to check out local glass artists while we traveled and I was kind of surprised that the kids were as interested in looking at glass as I was. As I've been lurking around here, I've also been surprised at just how many members we met along our trip!

The trip turned "hands on" with glass while we were in St. Pete, FL. We all had our first experience with a torch at Zen Glass. I was really surprised at how much my son (then 12) was into working with the torch! Seriously, this kid was so into games that I never thought anything without a video screen would interest him but boy, did that flame get his attention!

We stopped for brunch and to visit an old friend in Jekyll Island, GA and he introduced me Gypsea at the Jekyll Island Glass Blowing Center. (Gypsea say Hi to Walter, Nettie and the twins for me!) Outside of Boston (Waltham) we stopped at a Steam Punk festival and spent a few hours watching some folks blow glass and they very patiently answered our many questions. In Maine I visited, Atlantic Art Glass by myself and picked up my favorite pair of earnings. After five weeks with my husband and three kids in a mini van, a day to myself was a welcome birthday present! While we were in Cape Breton, we stopped at the Glass Artisan Studio and Gallery, unfortunately the furnace wasn't running for the season yet but wow! what great pieces they had on display! and the gallery owner showed us her torch and set up.

On our way back south we spent several days in Corning and met Josh at World Glass and did several hand's on glass projects at the CMOG. This is the point my son decided that he *really* wanted to get a torch and learn flameworking. We bought a bunch of books (Contemporary Lampworking Volumes 1-3 and others) and ordered a torch that we thought would arrive by late Sept.

We took a bead class at The Genuine Article outside Chicago. Even though it was a fantastic experience and he learned some good basic skills, my son decided that soft glass and beads weren't for him and he really wanted to work with boro. Our last glass experience on the trip was with Mark Payton in Louisville, KY. I'm still blown away by both his art work and his endless patience.

We've been waiting for a torch, GTT Mirage, since May, (a topic for another thread), but if it doesn't get here by the end of the month I'm giving up and looking into a different torch. For now we are planning to attend the Armadillo Art Glass Initiative and hope to meet more of you there. My son will be attending Snow Farm art camp for teens this summer (www.snowfarm.org) and will be doing both furnace work and flamework. I met a glass artist, Sam Cornman, in Pensacola, FL on a trip with my Girl Scouts this Spring Break and was so impressed with his teaching style that I hope to arrange some flamework lessons for my son before he heads to glass camp in MA.

- gee, didn't think I could drop that many names in one thread! and I probably left out some!-

Hopefully we'll have a torch soon and start on the next step of our glass journey... In the mean time I hope it's ok for me to join this community on my son's behalf. Please note that my son has no plans to make pipes (though I had no idea it was illegal for someone under 18 to make glass pipes!) so I hope my posts won't violate TOS #10 by posting on his behalf. I couldn't find an age limit on this site but as a mom I think I might have too much explaining to do if I turned him lose here - heck, some of the stuff I've found here I don't even get! So for now I'll just act as a relay person. Please forgive me if at times I don't know what I'm talking about as I'm a bit out of my element here.

-juliew

gypsea
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Hey Julie! Welcome to the forum!! It's exciting that your son is getting into glass, and both of you are welcome here. Your whole trip sounds like it was awesome.
Btw, I have a cat named FlameBoy. Lol.

PyroChixRock
03-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome!

Hey Julie, there's plenty of us around your neck of the woods. Keep posting, you'll find them. ;)

Theory
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Names Garret I am 17. I am out in wixom Michigan. Just finished school and am looking to spend my days on the torch now. Just got all the equipment for my bench now just need some glass!!:bouncy:

flopperhead
03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm Brian. I make beer for a living, and smoosh glass as a hobby. I'm in grants pass Oregon. Just started up with boro, lots of pendants so far having fun with it

Hydro Jack
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Howdy....I'm a med patient and a caregiver for my 83 year old Mother from Michigan....HJ

gonzo3000
03-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Im nick aka gonzo wisco based artist i been around lampworking since i was bout 14 started in t heflame when i was 19 20 ish and been very at it since
U also been tattooing since 08 and still do. I have learned through apprenticeing both mediums but have to say glass takes the cake

gonzo3000
03-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I*

Russbilt
04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi all! My names Russell, and I live in Riverside, IA. I'm getting into glass-blowing for the first time, but it's something I've wanted to do for almost as long as I can remember. But 30 odd years ago when I first looked into it what little info I could find seemed to indicate that it was an extremely costly venture (this was of course way before the Internets, lol). But now that I'm much older and wiser, and have a lot more XP/skills under my belt, I'm jumping in with both feet and can't wait to get started. Just need to study, which means read, read, read... ;?D

Russbilt
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Also, I've been doing some searching, but haven't had much luck finding anyone near me who teaches glass blowing, so if anyone knows (or is) someone who does, I'd sure appreciate a heads up, thanks ;?D

Cal
04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Hello everybody! Names Cal been.blowing glass 3 years now in Toronto, planning on hitch hiking west across canada to BC with my torch, Always looking for a shop to set up in for a few.days, hit me up if your in central to western canada and lets light it up.

dank tank024
04-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Dino 25, delaware .......little ghetto above dover ,...smyrna.. any other blowers near me . i kno rockstar glass is in dover.

phatsol
04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone jus wanted to re introduce myself . I'm Phatsol aka Patrick . I live in San Antonio. Started meltin glass in November of 2010 it's been off and on but getting back into it . Anyways I hope to meet some of y'all Sunday in Austin .

Peace Phatsol :chilling:

Trillium
04-23-2013, 05:11 PM
"Trillium"...tattoo artist of almost 20yrs. "Trillium Studios of Orange Beach,Alabama".....Over 20 yrs in lapidary....about 15 minutes in glass. Did the "tandem" hot shop experience..watched tons of Youtube lampwork videos and am stuck with the realization that I still dont know diddly. COE 33..COE104....Didyium or Level5? Acetylene or Propane?
Woefully ignorant....dangerously hungry.

Gangala
05-05-2013, 06:14 AM
I have been lurking, and have a teacher lined up. I don't plan on posting much except for a progress thread. The reason for that being is it takes me half as long to figure out something as it does for me to read all the "flaming" going on LOL. Anyways just continuing to search random stuff on the forum till my first lesson.

Khaos420
05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Whats up everyone Khaos here from just outside of Seattle, Wa. Ive always loved watching glassworking be done and that just grew in the current obsession that I have which is I must learn to work glass lol. Recently attended the Night of Boro in Seattle, had the chance to watch Cameron Tower, Bob Snoodgrass, J-Red, Hugh Glass, TRUE and more all work on a super collab piece.

Anyways yea im Khaos and im hear to learn as much as I can about glassblowing.

BurntHands
05-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Another Matt. Been lurking for a while, starting to play with glass more and more lately. No timesponge Internet at home but I get on when I can. Vancouver islander, lots of glassblowers around, but I don't know anyone. Been playing with clear/fuming for now, and i've been reading a lot. I need to get my hands on some color and a kiln. Expensive hobby.

Moofem
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey everyone, the name's Kyle! I just started getting into lampwork earlier this year and in fact my first torch (GTT Lynx) should be arriving sometime this week. To date I've only had ~4 hours on a torch which was during a Beginner's Class to Pendants down at the Carlisle School of Glass Art in south jersey, hehe yes it's that Carlisle. I currently work as a Production Assistant in NYC and I spend every morning reading on different glass techniques, watching tutorials, and studying the Contemporary Lampworking Volumes 1 & 2 while I make my commute on the train. I have to be honest, I was drawn the glass scene because I originally wanted to make pipes, bowls, etc. but I've since become so obsessed with marbles and pendants that its all I can think about. I'm very excited to have my first studio up and running in the next coming weeks. I'm ready for the challenge of mastering glass, but I'm certainly not going to rush it, I know it's going to be a long journey and that sounds just great to me. I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing my creations. Cheers!

RSP
05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Hello all I am Rob very new to forums and glass blowing both
Have found some really cool tutorials i'd like to share
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShamrockVideo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Shamrock-Productions/311105695583974
These are the folks that really sparked my interest in this awesome community of people

Liquidsand
05-29-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi Melting Pot
I just made my first posts in another thread, even though I've been reading the forum for about a year. I figured it was time to peek my head out from behind the curtain.

I've been lampworking for just about ten years, and used to read the ISGB forum all the time way back when, but never posted much. These days I work so many hours in my studio at home, and don't get out with people much, so it's nice that there's a glass community online that makes me laugh. Some of my favorite threads so far are Nile! and Glass Isn't a Liquid. That stuff was brilliant.

I originally got into glass because I wanted to do sculpture and pipes, and used to follow Snodgrass around the Dead lot like a puppy. I studied sculpture in school, and did some bronze casting and stone carving. After I started on the torch, I ended up doing boro beads, pendants, marbles, and murrini. In fact I may have met some of you when I was doing the Best Bead show in Tucson and other beads shows in the Northeast between 2004 and 2010.

I'm pretty much exclusively focused on hollow work now, mostly still spoons and bubblers, but I am incredibly inspired and challenged by it, and nowadays I pretty much live just to work. After all these years, I finally got a bigger torch. (But it could be bigger:twitch:.)
My goal is to eventually get to a point where I can really express my ideas, and make sculpture in glass. Presently I'm still struggling to get a grip on the technical stuff.
One of these days - hopefully soon - I'll post some pictures.
My website is www.liquidsandstudio.com

Thanks everyone for all the good reading, amusement, and research material.

Bo Diddles
05-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Welcome! You've got some great looking work there.

Matt P
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Beautiful work, LiquidSand, welcome to talkglass.com!!

Paul-C
05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
greetings and salutations! its hard to get more newbie than me. i just started learning about working with glass. i get 4 hrs torch time a day 4-5 days a week. yesterday was the start of the 3rd week. the guys teaching me do mostly production pieces for wholesale. last few days have been learning to fume silver and bake it in then add clear line, dots, ect. if it survives the kiln tonight i may have actually made a functional piece thats more than just clear.

i've always loved glass but never really got into it till i moved to Portland and met Chris from Liberty Glass (R.I.P.). now i've moved back to the midwest with hopes of bringing some PNW flavor into what i learn here.

and thats where i'm at..... stay tuned this rides bound to be bumpy!

PyroChixRock
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Welcome! :wave:

fergl
06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Lisa
Stained Glass since 2004, interested in hot glass, have done some fusing, no torch work yet!

Slide Project
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Howdy, I'm no glass blower, I'm just fond of you guys.

I started up Slide Project to make a few bucks and to have a good excuse to cozy up to your industry. I've been a woodworker my whole life, but only spent the last couple of months trying to make slide and dome displays. So far I've been having a blast.

Slappy
06-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi guys, I'm Clayton, I'm from Morgantown WV and I recently went to the DFO in Eugene, OR.My brother and I are looking to start blowing glass and I was wondering If you guys could offer some guidance as to which equipment to buy. I have a limited budget but I would like to get a quality torch that I will not outgrow for a while and that is conservative on gas. I would appreciate any guidance you guys give because I was told this is a great place to go for starters in lampwork and glass blowing.

aREa541
06-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Hey Clayton, welcome to TMP! It was good meeting you guys at the DFO last weekend. Use the search feature and look around a bit, there is a fuck ton of information on this site.

I am responding to your email now, thanks for staying in touch!

gglass
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi all - Amy with Pure Virtue Glass and Virtue Flame Works - can't wait to find all my glass friends and read up on these forums I keep hearing about... For those that don;t know about Virtue Flame Works - we have a 25 station studio, supplies and school here in Rockville, MD and are working out details on some killer classes this fall...

As for myself, I'm entering year two of glass blowing and have never enjoyed learning something as much!! Glad to be a part of the glass community!!

DaveK
06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
DaveK aka kingmanarts.com looking into lampworking. I have been fusing glass since 2004. Webmaster for Oregon Glass Guild.

LiquidGlassArts
06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey all I'm Scotty, been on the torch for 3 years now...live in Boston MA...

This website has been a phenomenal resource for me in my quest to learn the ways of glass

I'm on facebook.com/liquidglassarts and instagram is LiquidGlassArts where pics of my work can be found

Thank you to everyone who posts on here I have learned so much already!

Thanks!

Scotty

TECglass
06-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Josh Driscoll , aka Freak... airbrush artist turned tattoo artist, and now thanks to the awesome friendly people i found at a beadmaking class and all ya'll i'm a darn glass junky. Been torching roughly 4 or 5 months ( progression page coming soon ) Acworth Ga ( the home of one lonely torcher)

Zukie
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
the name is Jason. I worked with stained glass for years and decided to get a torch and some tools. Been on the torch for about 6 mo.

PyroChixRock
06-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Welcome, guys! Glad to have you with us.

KumarGlassLord
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello Im Corey " Kumar ". Ive just started working with glass for a few weeks now. Picked up a GTT Lynx, and still need to pick out a kiln for marbles, small sculptures, and pendants.

Im also a reef keeper, so hello to any saltwater aquarium owners!

Phahtrox
07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
The name is Mike.
I've been thinking about potential jobs lately, and it came to me late at night that working with glass would allow me to show off my artisic side.
Could you help out me out?
How do you buy glass to work with?
What kind of torch do I need?
Anything that I should know before starting?

Thanks. :D

Mecha
07-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Welcome Mike,

read this thread first. (http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?50425-Attention-new-lampworkers-READ-FIRST)

The first post is some solid advice for new people.

Jiggy Boro
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Hell hello. Names Jeromy, but Ive gone by jiggy my whole life. Out in the woods just east of Portland Oregon. Blew glass for the first time in 2011 at a lesson with Corey franks. I got it as a christmas present. Instantly got bit by the glass bug. About a year later I had a good amount of cash to spend, so I browsed craigslist, found a set up with a red max, jen ken, tanks, regs, a box of kimble a huge box of color shorts and some hand tools all for eleven hundo. Didnt hesitate to grab that amazing deal. Took one more lesson, and began the craft, here I am a year later loving it more than ever. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me along the way! Peace and thanks.

badhalf
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
sup homies Im big mundo,
Been blowing glass for 6 months now, self taught self invested. I live and work in the detroit MI area. looking to meet glass artist willing to work/colab with. will pay or work for lessons, tips and technique. Hit me up Big mundo needs homies in the biz.

Burny Kay
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
whats up tmp, im burny and im from south fl. i never knew how glass was made until almost 2 years ago when i was doing some business research while on house arrest(long story) but since then ive been heavy on glass related research including the business side of it. i knew this was something that i really wanted to do. so i finally had a very good reason to quit business school (a lot cheaper doing glass than a 72k 4year degree). about a year ago i started to buy all my equipment and just recently took a couple classes in the last about 2 months. since money is tight i will have to do it outdoors when mother nature is nice so hopefully after a couple of weeks ill be able to finally get the shed and work regardless of weather. i could of started already but i wanted to make sure i had a kiln and lots of glass to play with in case some stuff was nice enough to get annealed. kiln just got shipped out today so i should get started sometime this weekend or next week. the glass market where i am is pretty small when it comes to glass artist and the profits are high if you have your own retail store. my goal is to get my own retail store and market my own glass pieces. sounds ambitious but anything is possible.

fuzzo999
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Hello all!!

My name is Brian and I am living in Pittsburgh PA. Currently I work in retail selling appliances (not as exciting as it seems) while I work on finding a teaching job.
I have been lurking here and on other sites/forums for a few months now trying to learn as much as I can without doing any actual work yet. Reason being is that I live in an apartment currently with no place for a studio. I hope to take some lessons in the future to see if my interest translates over to the actual 'work'.

PyroChixRock
07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Lurking will get you everywhere in glass! The head start you are giving yourself is worth every minute you spend at the pc screen. Welcome, and have fun!

fuzzo999
07-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks!

I am also discovering that the if you know what you are looking for, youtube has some very good videos as well (plus a few good books).
It is good to be here, lots and lots to read about.

Deep
07-19-2013, 01:46 AM
I wanted to say hi. I'm new to glassblowing I've been at it for about 4 months. Every one seems so talented. I'm eager to learn. Love and light

Zero
07-22-2013, 04:03 PM
The name is Mick, AKA Zero.
I'm 20 years old and have no experience on the torch.
I actually just decided recently to invest into the field, and I wanted to get a better understanding of many things before I started.
(I have so many questions!)
I'll be taking classes in the next two weeks, and will have some opportunity to use someone else's studio to learn.
Very excited! Hello everyone. :D

PyroChixRock
07-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi, and welcome! :D

Cinders
07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
HI, Corrie..aka..Cinders. I have been behind the torch for 1 year now. Im in the East bay SF.

dpetrzelka
07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I'm returning to the troch after a several year hiatus. My grandfather taught me to torchwork beads and marbles in the late 90's. I worked in college designing and constructing stained glass windows, teaching stained glass and beginning bead making at GlassWorks in Bellingham. Now my young sons are interested in lampworking and kiln forming, and so I'm hoping to continue the family tradition.

Rewiring some of the old kilns, and cleaning up the Phantom and Minor so we can start working glass again...

RyanBaker
07-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Hows it going everyone??

Names Ryan Fitzpatrick
from the boston area
been looking into getting into blowing boro for the past 3-4 months
have my first flameworking class this saturday,super stoked.
Cant wait to get to know all of you! Much love.

bagels
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Hey there! My name is Nick/Bagels.
I live in Santa Barbara.
I've been on the torch for about 10-11 months and have loved every minute of it
I was lucky enough to have very supportive parents who let me build a pretty cool studio in the garage, so for the past 4 months I've just been at it any second I can.
I haven't been very active on here but that's going to change, I love this place and its always nice to meet like minded people.
Thanks for making this place so awesome!

PyroChixRock
07-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Hey guys, nice to have you here. Thanks for sharing a little about yourselves! Hit me up if you need help with anything via the request room, or PM. Welcome to TMP! :blowkiss:

BODHI1
08-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Im Britton aka Bodhi.. My wife Ren and I own a Borosilicate supply company, The Bodhi Tree Glass & Graf Supply in Orlando Fl.. I am here for business and more imp to improve as a glass artist.. www.talkglass.com is such a Blessing!!!

awtume9
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Autumn, some of you may know me as the receptionist at Aim Kilns! If anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, feedback, etc feel free to send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out! Bear with me as I figure out the ins and outs of the forums, I'm relatively new to this site! Thank you and have a great day!

P.S. getting my own torch and setup pretty soon, maybe one day I will have some cool stuff to contribute to the site!

glassdocnc
08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi Autumn, nice to have you here!

awtume9
08-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you :] I'm really enjoying the site, so much to explore!

PyroChixRock
08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey hey guys! Glad to have you all here. :blowkiss:

Nikola :)
08-15-2013, 03:31 PM
hii names, Nikola, a.k.a Kat, a.k.a Nik Nak
been working soft glass 3 + years, and torching for 2 years now <3 absolutely loving it
work for a soft glass artist on the week days and do my own flame work by night
& hit up live music on the weekends!
in ye old reading, pa :)

Reneehamill
08-15-2013, 04:12 PM
No idea what I'm doing here but I'm Renee, excited to talk to other lamp workers! My husband and I set up our own studio last year and its kept us out of So much trouble! Hoping to make a life of it after another year or two of practice, LOVING that going to music festivals with the excuse that its kind of our Job selling glass :D

Misha, aka pyro aka Eugene Rain. 10 years behind the torch, and still loving it. We're in Ptown now!

I love the new forum so far, the shit actualy works! :bounce

FirePigGlass
08-15-2013, 07:54 PM
David aka FirePig

Only been torching for about a year now, but i own a small company that makes foot pedals www.firepigglass.com

rjohn7
08-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Robert there is no aka or nickname.
I had a long 6 year vacation from lighting my torch (September makes it 6 years- where does time go???)
I'm a full time college student. (oh yeah that's where time goes)

blayzwon
08-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Austin s; 28, bug man by day, Boro student by night. my alter ego is Germaine Mann. glad to be in this community.

PyroChixRock
08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Great to have you guys! :blowkiss:

mfninjaglass
08-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Justin aka Mother f@ck!ng Ninja
Austin, Tx
Been melting boro for a few months past year. :crazy:

blayzwon
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Austin s; 28, bug man by day, Boro student by night. my alter ego is Germaine Mann. glad to be in this community.

Oh yes I'm located in the Chicagoland area

Rabel888
09-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Hi..i'm clare from mid wales..i have been fusing glass in my kiln for over a yr and i am wanting upgrade to be able to cast..xx

Keegs
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Keegan aka Keegs

torching only a few months now

South FL

Lolland
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
hey all good folks my name is steven i come from denmark been flaming boro for some months now on my own . no schools here or much knowlegde to find . i plan to live from this at some point making funktionel as well as non . so really happy i got in on this :)

PyroChixRock
09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
welcome! :blowkiss:

Lolland
09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
ty very much misha and thx for getting me on this nice forum bet i am gonna spend lots of hours in here ..hope to make new freinds and meet alot of good peeps in here .. is there a chat to this forum as well like web chat or somthing

PyroChixRock
09-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Sure thing, no problem! I'm glad to have you here. One of my good friends lives out in Denmark, but he doesn't blow glass or I'd introduce you two. I'm sure there are people around you though.

We don't have a chat installed right now. We always had one before but it seems no one used it so I let it go. It's something we can always put back anytime if people have a desire to use it again. I do miss the chats. :)

WolfPack
09-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Nick here. Boston area. been lamping about 5 years now. im 24. life is sweet.

HappyHoney
09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Happy Fried'ay to all you amazing glassheads!!
I'm Dan, from Ohio
Been an avid enthusiast for about a decade

Got a few hours (i know, i know) on the torch and love was never quicker realized
Juuuust getting into the producer rather than consumer side of the glass pool
But canonball here i come...
Home studio about 2/3 of the way structurally complete
Raw glass on order, silver in search of, easy stuff outta the way...
Now the big decisions...
Kiln n torch?
Was planning ATM on a redmax torch and a paragon f130 kiln
Feel free to point out any n every misstep i take along the way as there'll be plenty!!

I appreciate this outlet of overwhelming knowledge
What a resource!!
Thanks

Dan Kooper
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Welcome Dan! Come back and torch anytime. I got you on the silver too.

IsaacClodfelter
09-28-2013, 01:39 PM
~2 years with boro back in the day - got me a torch and back into it for about 6 months so far now
I'm just outside the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico.
Just turned 30

lady g
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi, my name is Gwynne. I will probably be hanging out in the Safety Break room a lot. I started blowing glass in 1997, worked full time for a few years, took a 7 year break, and have been back at it for 5 years. I've been lurking for a number of years now, so I feel like I know some of you.

Mr.P0rn
09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
This may or may not apply...but.....WELCOME TO THE POT! It's good to have you!

HerbChambers
09-30-2013, 03:09 PM
names Tom, never posted in this thread for whatever reason. northshore/boston area. been doin this for a couple months and in the process of setting my own studio up. :chilling:

hglasswell
09-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Harold, 25, Carson, CA, been on the torch for 8 years now (boro only!!!) Now i'm building lathes and on the torch every other day

PyroChixRock
10-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Welcome!! :D

GlassPadawan
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi all. Name's Cal, aka .40Cal. Been on the torch about 4 months gaining knowledge from some players down here in Southern Oregon.

PyroChixRock
10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Welcome! :wave:

2_Remember
10-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Devon Lacy
I wasn't really on planning on posting anytime soon until i spent at-least a few months reading up on this site , after all i have seen how much people love the search function, but after seeing a torch for sale that i thought would work for me i made an offer and now i am here introducing myself. Anyway i am planning to start this as a hobby purely as in i expect at most 0% returns on any investment, so i am slowly building up to make a home studio. To due this i am planning on saving 6k for my initial investment and hopefully one year of weekend learning. At this moment i am still in the steps of figuring out my shed and its size and shape so i have a long way to go. I am not quite comfortable in any non face to face communication so sorry if this sounded awkward.

PyroChixRock
10-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey, welcome Devon! Most of us have pics in the pyromugs thread if you want to put some faces to the screen names. ;)

I'm misha, hit me up if you need any help around here! And sure the search engine is great but we will be glad to help answer your questions, too. We're currently remodeling the FAQ section to make this easier for the newbies. :)

Have fun!

Mr.P0rn
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the pot Devon! You have a good outlook on glass. Starting without expecting return is the best way to start. Enjoy the journey - it's a good one.

whistlepunkglass
10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Tristin allaire aka whisltePunk
Hydrovac swamper in the northern Alberta oil feilds.
I make scluptured head items. Pokers and bong cleaners. Miniture bubblers and triple spoon pipes. My brand is sold in my town as well as a few head head shops and one china store in the next town over,in bc lowermainland area.
Started 2000 on a cheap minor.

Deepspacemind
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Hello all...newbie here, my name is cody im 25 yo and I just moved to arkansas from the texas panhandle( which in my opinion is a huge improvement lol) to find my place in this life and so far its goin good. my goal here is to learn as much as possible on glass pipe and water pipe blowing. I would like to incorporate alot of nature into it as well, for example ive always wanted to have a bong with a howling wolf head sticking out the side but im sure that will take years of learning an experience to get to that point. I am open to any suggestions and advice from experienced artist. First things first is getting set up and learning the fundamentals. I look forward to a great learning experience.

TommyB
10-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi everybody! My name is Tommy, and I've been blowing glass for about 3 1/2 years now but I've been browsing these forums for even longer than that. Looking forward to contributing to a forum I've already learned so much from, and which I'm sure I'll continue to learn from as well.

DFDesign
10-14-2013, 07:14 AM
^Welcome to the forum Tommy!

I'm new here too...

My name is Daniel and I'm in SW Colorado near Durango. My wife and I are both interested in Boro work after a bit of time working with soft glass.

I'll be setting up my shop soon and look forward to posting our progress. We have a new Red Max just in!

I've been self employed for the last 10 years and hope to do the glass as a hobby. I make my family income out of the shop. My shop actually has a lot of the equipment I can use for glass, I'm really excited about the possibilities. Two kilns, sandblast setup, wet grinders, diamond saws and more!

I'll be setting up my ventilation and bench next... still learning before I build.

I learn by repetition so will hopefully be doing lots of simple production work after the basics... been reading the stickies and anything I can find here. This place is great!