PDA

View Full Version : Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

malleus
05-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Hello everybody my name is Alex and I am from Austria. Started glassblowing in september so my journey just begun. I really enjoy working on the torch and I'm usually able to get around 6-10 hours working time a week which is waaaay to less but my current scedule doesn't give me much more time...
Hopefully I have my own little set up running by the beginning of this summer. That would be too good!
mfg (mit freundlichen Grüßen),
Alhammbre

malleus
05-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Correction:
Mfg (mit freundlichen Grüßen),
Malleus

Got my nicknames twisted up a little ooopsala

BrainBug
05-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Devin M.
First introduced to the torch in 2002 in Hawaii and have been on and off from there, more consistently on for the past few years.
Portland, OR.

Kamil84
05-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Greetings all (: new here name is Kamil 30 to make nyc. Prior service combat vet paratrooper and 9-5 building engineer. Glass head by night with maybe two years working glass. Love the forum you guys rock a lot of cool ppl and some interesting characters lol but I'm here to learn and ask questions so yeah 👊😎
Pm me for anything always glad to help, savvy with electrical systems heating cooling ventilation refrigeration food and much more.
~Kamil~

Trevor
05-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Welcome!

kath
05-10-2015, 06:23 PM
i love this site already! i love all things glass. i have a paragon SC2 kiln and do fused glass and am itching to get a bigger kiln. also got hooked on the torch - have a nortel minor burner and will be setting up a new nortel major with minor on top torch so i can start to play with boro....i am totally hooked! i have been trying my hand at the torch for about 5 years

kaliformula
05-12-2015, 10:47 PM
My name is Brad aka "toxikrocks" San Jose CA.
I've been drawing and painting for a very long time. Right now I am focusing on glass sculpting.

brien9fingers
05-13-2015, 09:51 AM
My name is Brien, im 27, been blowing glass for under a year, my friend (trevor on here) has been teaching me some things. Im a piercing apprentice and aspiring body jewelry craftsman.

Herbie Boo Boo
05-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Greetings everyone! My name is John and bought a torch 3 weeks ago with my roommate. I worked with furnace glass for a couple years in college so it's really been fun seeing all the fusing of the techniques as I get into the boro world. Already owe this site a ton and hope to one day be able to input some knowledge of my own.

Walrus80
05-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Hello ,
New to the forum

A lot of great techs and information to sort through.

Very excited to be here and can't wait to learn more.

Philadelphia Collins
05-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Howdy folks, looooonnng time lurker first time poster. Just got on the waiting list for a GTT Lynx thanks to all the inspiration on this site. Can't wait to finally get started!

glassdocnc
05-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the fun P. Collins.

luneyglass
05-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Whats good all..The names Loso I'm based out of Staten island NYC ..got introduced to the torch in august and decided to get set up about 2 months ago, I built a shed in my yard (10x7x12) & got a gtt lynx from a fb group and my journey begins. Also a hobby horticulturist

pearlane
05-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Hey guys,

Pearlane here in South Cackalacky
short 30 yr experience as scientific glassblower working boro and quartz
did some art items but just for fun and family
here to share my experience and willing to sell some of the stuff I used over the years

glassdocnc
05-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Hi Pearlane. Welcome to TMP.

boro bob
05-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Robert B here from Aurora Oregon. Currently working as a machinist. Been on the torch for about 6 months now and love it! Always tinkering with things to make improvements. Built my own high volume oxygen system and use a red max with premix top fire as my main torch. Thinking of making a tripple mix torch in the near future and a lathe. Mostly have worked with silver fuming techniques and am starting to use color more. I hope to be working glass full time by next year. Anyone with experience that will let me watch over your shoulder would be much appreciated.

Chenderson1214
05-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Clay H., Aka- C Note, College Station, TX. 2 yrs on the torch when I have time

Britt
07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Britt - known as Woodmaven on some forums because I've been doing woodworking for 40 years.
Took up glassblowing 1 year ago and loving it and just started at the torch 2 months ago. I'm hooked!
Chesapeake, VA.

Zukie
07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Welcome. Nice to see someone else from Va here.

ThReAdTeDs
07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
My name is Berta, and from the Netherlands. Actual I am a Teddy bear Artist and I am totally new to glass-art. Did a workshop in glas-fusing and bought a hotpot. (microwave kiln). I did some simple pendants and hope to learn more in this forum. Thank you for letting me join.

PhantomGlassGuy808
07-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Aloha from the windward side of Oahu Hawaii! Name is Alan aka Hoku!
Been hot working glass for about 4 years, started with soft glass and now work boro also.
Burning on a Nortel Mega Red Max and a GTT Scorpion and a Smith mini.
Using 3 oxy cons and an O2 Tank back up.
Making jewelry and some pipes.

707kyle
07-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Name is Kyle. Raised in Alabama, grew up in Northern Cali, now in the Lehigh Valley in Pa... extreme newbie! ready to learn and learn some more

Ray
07-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Kyle, if you goto buy anything you may want to look at Wale Apparatus for your things to buy.
You can drive there, they are in Hellertown.
http://www.waleapparatus.com/
I'm up in the poconos.
Good luck with your learning.

707kyle
07-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Kyle, if you goto buy anything you may want to look at Wale Apparatus for your things to buy.
You can drive there, they are in Hellertown.
http://www.waleapparatus.com/
I'm up in the poconos.
Good luck with your learning.

Yeah I cruised by there already! I am trying to get a house in Wind Gap. Stay in touch

Chockarock
08-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Howdy! I'm Chockarock. Southern Pennsylvania is where I call home, Just started blowing recently.

Kaz
08-21-2015, 02:18 PM
My name is Kaz. I was born in Texas, moved around a bit and back here now. I have been admiring everything glass related for several years, however I am a complete noob when it comes to working with glass. But hey, I'm going learn!

GunMountglass
08-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Jason aka jason :) Rookie on the torch but i can pull stringers!

eeegadds
08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
eeegadds
Northeast ohio

SpaceSlug
08-28-2015, 07:45 AM
SpaceSlug behind the torch since July '14 thanks for all of the info and support!

Alex Kidd
09-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Hello everyone!

I started to look into the art of glass blowing by videos on YouTube. I'm very interested to learn to work on the torch.

I live in Brazil and here i didn't find many suppliers, probably i'll import almost everything.

Never made a single piece, never saw on live someone doing a piece.. the only torch i had and used is for my dabs. Still looking for a place in home to start and reading a lot to understand this world.

SGKglass
09-12-2015, 04:00 PM
hey everybody, im Foster, living and lamping in anchorage alaska, been full time on the torch about 2 months, first got on the torch about 6 years ago and been obsessed since. Got a good teacher that I'm working with and just finished up my first case of chillums. thanks for all the help on here from everyone! PEACE.

Smodmos
09-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Hey there ladies and gents. Smodmos here, better known as Rob. Michigan local! Detroit! Only a couple months on the torch, looking for a mentor! Studio space, lessons! Please contact me anytime 787-934-7014

penguin
09-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Greetings

New to glass and new to this forum. I live and work in Northern California-live in the Central Valley but teach in the Bay Area. I teach middle school technology. We created a new program called "Maker Academy " where students are provided the opportunity to explore and work with all forms of technology-both new and old. I had a few students ask if we could incorporate glass blowing and my only response was "why not?" So I am here to learn, investigate and be able to turn around and teach my students the basics of working with glass. My only experience working with glass was on a glass lathe right after high school making glass ampules on a lathe that were filled with methane (they were used by customers for testing gas sniffers that the company made) It was hot, hard, unrewarding work and I had to make 2000 per day (that was quota).
Anyway I am here to research materials and equipment (like many teachers we have very little budget), processes and techniques. Any advice or suggestions you could offer would be welcomed

Stephan Willner

SikSol
10-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Sik here, born and raised in Ohio. Spent little time in Texas while in the Army but back to Ohio now. Lot of down time as a medically retired vet and I used to be an extremely artistic person. Took every art class my school offered and then continued with independent studies in art after that. Sadly fell away from it right after and have not touched a pencil, brush, camera or anything in 10 years. Been wanting to get back into something, and that is when admiring a glass piece of mine it hit me. So starting my journey to learn a new form of art and see where I can take it. Welcome any advice.

Jim Kutscher
10-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello,
After a life long love of glass art, my life finally is ready to take on this awesome hobby. Will be moving to Colorado within the next couple of months so gonna start ion a hothead and slowly but equipment to be ready for boro in the near future future. Been lurking for a few weeks so thought it time to say hi... HI!!! :)

basho42
11-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Howdy y'all. I'm not a new member, I just haven't been around here is a while so....

Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Bob, been melting since 1999.

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Hello glass community!

My name is Adam. My brother Aaron and I have started a company called Molten Aura Labs in Asheville, NC. We are making brand new colors for the boro world.
Over the past several years we've watched the borosilicate glass scene grow, and we've seen the palette grow along with it. More and more shops are opening up making rods and tubes of existing colors, layered tubing, and experimenting with mixing colors to make new hybrid hues. And we're even starting to see a few new color producers pop up here and there. Meanwhile, we've been quietly toiling away in our lab developing some formulas of our own.

These colors are completely custom made, not re-melted color from other manufacturers. Each batch is tested and carefully inspected before getting added to our stock.

We have a website/online store where you can find more information about us and our glass.

http://www.moltenaura.com

In addition to our website, we will be posting to instagram, pinterest, facebook, and on this forum, so you should be hearing more from us in the coming months as we gradually build our selection of colors.

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Many of our colors are on sale right now.
Our first few colors are:

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Dabsinthe:

Dabsinthe is a beautiful transparent emerald green color. Much more intense and slightly more blue-ish than other transparent greens on the market. We kept the color saturated so it will still look nice when blown thin. Layering over clear is recommended for thick applications, unless you want a very dark green look.

http://moltenaura.com/product/dabsinthe/

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Deja Blue:

Yes, another cobalt blue… However, Deja Blue is a bit different. This translucent color resides somewhere between Brilliant Blue and Blue Cheese, both in color and in transparency. We wanted a cobalt blue that didn’t get too dark when used thick, but retained it’s saturation.

http://moltenaura.com/product/deja-blue/

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Meta-Terrania

Meta-Terrania is a transparent turquoise colored glass. We added some haziness to this one to enhance its briny, sea water quality. Thicker areas tend to exhibit this hazy quality more.

http://moltenaura.com/product/meta-terrania/

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Calypso:

Calypso is an entertaining, powder blue color that can produce a variety of effects such as whites, translucent reds and blues. We have found that thicker worked areas tend to exhibit more of the whites. The white can also be brought back if you flame strike in a neutral flame. The reds show up when marvering or using other sculpting tools to cool the surface. It is also possible to keep Calypso light blue, you just need to be careful not to reduce it.

This one takes some experimenting, but can produce a fantastic array of colors.

http://moltenaura.com/product/calypso/

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
we also have a batch of Meta-Terrania that we are calling "dense". It is basically the same turquoise color, just with more of the haziness. Similar to slime vs. dense slime. We are currently selling that as a one-off batch. Once it's gone, we probably won't be making it again (unless there is demand for it).

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:48 PM
and we are selling a dense white. This is also a one-off batch. It's very similar to TAGs whiteout. Kind of "rough" surface on the rods, but they smooth out nicely in the flame.

Icarus
11-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Awesome. Welcome to the forum Molten Aura Labs. Loooking forward to trying out your colors and watching your company grow!

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:55 PM
and a little about ourselves --

I have a background in fine arts as well as digital media. I've been a computer animator and worked in the video game industry. My painting/sculpture stuff has been done on the side for the past 15 years, But after spending years playing with casting glass and torchwork as a hobby, I decided it was time to delve into it full-time. I also play a lot of guitar and have hacked together a few of my own guitar pedals.

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 05:57 PM
thanks Icarus! If you decide to try some out, let us know how it works for you. We have folks testing our colors for us, but are definitely always looking for feedback.

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Aaron is an artist and glassblower. He was trained as a luthier and worked for acoustic guitar builder Dana Bourgeois in Maine. This led him to pursue his own flavor of fine art woodworking. Soon after that, he was sucked into the world of melting borosilicate at the bench as well as the lathe. He worked for several years at Stone Arch Studio in Minneapolis before jumping off the ledge with me into the crucible of color :)

Swim
11-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Aaron is an artist and glassblower. He was trained as a luthier and worked for acoustic guitar builder Dana Bourgeois in Maine. This led him to pursue his own flavor of fine art woodworking. Soon after that, he was sucked into the world of melting borosilicate at the bench as well as the lathe. He worked for several years at Stone Arch Studio in Minneapolis before jumping off the ledge with me in the crucible of color :)

is there a link to your catalogue or something so we can just look at the colors all at once?

Molten Aura Labs
11-05-2015, 06:21 PM
yes! sorry for spacing out those posts. I was trying to quickly get 10 posts for vendor status ;)
The website address is http://www.moltenaura.com

This link will go right to the colors page:
http://www.moltenaura.com/our-glass/

glassdocnc
11-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Welcome to TMP and nice to have even more glass people in Asheville.

mattholimeau
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Welcome, Molten. I'm quite curious to see what people make of your products.

However, I'm a cynic and a critic, so here goes:

1. Having each color page on your site say "Anneal at 1050°F for best results" strongly implies you don't understand what the word anneal means.
2. Don't use images you don't own the copyright or trademark to as promotional material. Mario and dark side of the moon, even blurred, is still mario and dark side - if they weren't, there'd be no point in your using those images.
3. Introducing yourself by gaming the system and inflating your post count? Seems you like to cut corners. I hope this isn't the case when you formulate your glass.

Molten Aura Labs
11-06-2015, 12:06 PM
hey, thanks for taking a look at our site. We made some tweaks that should help it look a little more finished. Appreciate the feedback.

mattholimeau
11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Well done on the quick turn around. Gotta say I also like how you're categorized your colors.

djslife
11-07-2015, 10:44 PM
djslife (25) here, jumping into lampwork now, learning everything I can and loving it. I work in HR and it sucks, but getting to create something from my own two hands makes it worth it.

Akasha
11-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Michael Morgan aka Unknown

From N.Y.

Recently Started blowing glass back in February, Haven't left the torch yet.

Aside from glass blowing I also do wood working and a little bit of metal work too.

soulflowerarts
11-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Hello Melting Pot People!!

I live a bit off the grid in PA and I'm quite a hermit. As such - looking to meet to some other glass people and this looks like a good place to start.

I've been twisting boro since 2007 and only love it more each day. I sell in local galleries, shows and online. I also do quite a bit of custom work - if you dream it, I will TRY to make it. I have no exceptions when it comes to glass - I will make anything from pipes to dildos to little drapions or turtles. I love bringing boro to places where people haven't been exposed and love having children draw me designs for their own "pieces". Glass for everyone.

I'm excited to be here. While I know lots of local artists (none are glass addicts) --- I would like to meet another glass blower and maybe even do collabs for anyone willing?

Thank you for the forum and your patience as I learn how forums and social media work.

EU-Glass
11-11-2015, 01:53 PM
EU-Glass here :shifty:, Only distributer of U.S. made Glass tubing and rods and much more. Our website is www.Eu-glass.com, check us out, we offer free shipping on your first ever order.

mattholimeau
11-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey there, EU-Glass. Question for ya: what's EU stand for? I find it interesting that your tag line is "only distributor of US made..." when your name starts with "EU", which in my mind screams European.

(I'd call it ironic, but that's a misuse of irony... comically coincidental? Guess that's the most I can say - I shortened that train of thought to "interesting", hah.)

EU-Glass
11-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello mattholimeau,

The owners name is Eugene Uritsky, =).

mattholimeau
11-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Hah, see, that makes sense. It still hinders the marketability of promoting "made in the USA" type products - seems a bit of a contradiction, even if it isn't really. Probably a bit late to reconsider that though. :/ Oh well.

Glasshole422
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,

Complete newb here, been attempting to learn / get into lampwork for about a year, finnaly made myself a bench, got my supplies together, decided it was time to join and stop trolling the forum. Im in the detroit metro area, and i would have never gone anywhere, learned anything w/o my friends at urban pheasant glass, especially budman8778 ♥

For about ten years i have waded around in school, always planned on getting my phd but got sick of administration / bullshit and had to do something else w my life. Urban pheasant, their pad was always a place i went to as much as often, to relax, hang out, and feed my fascination w lampwork. I finished two BA's, one in Latin and the next in Ancient Greek (translation, syntax), while minoring in history. About a year ago i finished my first masters in Library Information Sciences, w a certificate in Archival administration. Having realized the futility of doing my phd work in ancient history (i am published in the American Classical Quarterly and the AMA) , since there are not any jobs in my area of expertise (Attic Greece, Republican Roman era), iv been doing everything from trying to learn glass to working in the mmj field.

Glass always fascinated me; i have worked on archaeological digsites, and, having the majority of my family overseas in Italy, i have been lucky enough to travel around western europe on several occassions. When i was 19 I first went w my family to the Murano glass factory in Venice, that really kickstarted my interest, later that year i vacationed w budman in Maui as he apprenticed w another glassblower. So, no matter how vested i was in my academic career, i always have been fascinated by glass ♥, and all you incredible artists out there. I have always volunteered for the michigan glassblowing project, and before then medical mmj confrences, so if you have travelled to the mitten for that iv been in the background :)

So yea great to be here guys, Kremate!

UncleMuffinTop
11-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Hey Everybody,

Just saying hello and that after a little more than a year I'm emerging from being a lurker. I'll be starting a progress thread shortly and will have a little bit more about myself in there. This seems like a cool community and I hope to continue to learn from it.

Cheers,
Uncle Muff

Roland8974
11-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Hey guys. Roland here. I'm from south carolina. Always been into the art if flameworking and I have been trying to get into it for years and I'm finally pulling the trigger. And I am so so excited to do so. All I have is a gtt cheetah brand new with hoses n regulators. I'm currently building my bench now. So you will be hearing from me soon. If anyone has any tip or tricks or maybe some guidance shoot me a dm anytime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PyroChixRock
11-18-2015, 01:31 PM
:wave:

LoveMyPipes
11-21-2015, 03:07 AM
Shannon here.. I have yet to be able to actually work with glass =x, extreme noob, but nothing has held my interest like making pipes which I currently do from clay. I figured it was time to take my interest to a whole new level and have always loved glass. I will have my own business, and I'm making good on that promise one day at a time. I love input from others and can't wait to actually put some work in. Maybe one day I'll sell some of your pieces in my shop also ^.~

herperdude
11-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Justin aka Professor. Been behind the torch since 04. Work at the shop out back. From Bakersfield Ca. aka the city was the worst air quality in the country. Ahhh fresh smog!

Dr.D81
11-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi guys i moved to Eugene this spring to grow and learn to blow glass. I am picking up a wale major - minor torch tomorrow and am working on getting everything together. We are in the middle of a land purchase so money is tight but will get it all together. I love art of all sorts, and have worked in many mediums over the years. I have turned bowls, sculpted stone, done most all types of beadwork, blacksmith, bladesmith, and was a photographer for a couple years in Atlanta GA. I had to sell or give most everything away when we left Lafayette this year to come west, but we love it here!

Christian
11-24-2015, 08:12 PM
its probably about time i introduced myself. My name is Chris, a.k.a 313 Glass. ive been on the forum for about a year now, have yet to post anything. Currently residing in the detroit area of southeast michigan. i started flameworking last july, and since then ive become obsessed with the medium. I work in a shop with Jxbey and one other friend who i am pretty sure is not on this forum. Ill try to get around to uploading some pictures of my work soon.

Shaquille_Anneal
12-09-2015, 07:57 AM
The names Christian, received the nickname Cinco de Mayo one strange day and I go by Cinco and C-Rad. Never been on a flame but I'm hopefully getting closer to my chance each and every day!

kittypooh5
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
hey all,

I am emerging from lurkerhood and out of glass for like 8 years or so. In middle of nowhere PA, just found a space last month and am super syched. I am sure that in no time I'll become your favorite female dental glassblower, perhaps only! =)

Nuka Glass
12-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Hello all you lovely people!

Name is Eric. Can call me Easy E, E, E-man, asshole. I really don't care!
I typically slave away in an office analyzing data. It's extremely boring.
Recently I became addicted to glassblowing(lampworking).
I have always been fascinated with all types of glass pipes and one day the thought of making them came to my head.
Checked out Revere's videos on YouTube and was instantly hooked.

In the process of getting some equipment to start. So far the only thing I have is a nice pair of goggles and a bid on a Nortel Minor (might not win it).

Green out and peace out!
E

(P.S. I love this community. First post I made but I have read a TON)

EDIT: Left out that I am just South of the war of ChiTown.

MpVpRb
12-16-2015, 05:05 PM
I am a 62 year old semi-retired engineer who has been building stuff ever since I was able to pick up a tool

My profession is software and electronic design, primarily in embedded systems and control systems

I am also a master woodworker (who had a commercial shop in the 70s), semi-decent machinist, and OK welder (if you're being generous)

http://mp-m-and-e.com/

I have been fascinated by glass for years. Whenever I see a glassworker in public, I stop and watch

I visited the land of my ancestors in Sweden ( http://www.glasriket.se/en ), and discovered that it was an important glassworking area

I am a total noob, who has never put glass into a flame

I just got a beginner kit and some books and am excited to explore

Yes, I know it won't be easy. Easy things are boring

Ray
12-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm sure you will do well. It certainly is lots of fun, and addictive!

crazygerman
12-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Name pretty well sums it up! I'm a contractor / semi pro skydiver who had the opportunity to get behind a glass torch for the first time about 4 months ago at a friends house. It was at a party and everybody was taking turns for 5-10 minutes at a time. So I thought it looked like fun, long story short 2 hours later they were like dude back away from the flame. I've been obsessed ever since, reading everything I could find especially here. So I purchased a torch off Ebay right away not knowing what I was doing or what else I needed to operate it. Thanks to the Melting Pot I slowed my roll did my research and I'm in the midst of building my own studio. I'm just totally loving it. Thanks to everyone here for giving such an amazing forum to learn from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RNMike
01-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Hi friends, the name is Mike. I'm a Pediatric Intensive Care Flight Nurse. I love my family, my harley, playing my banjo and flying RC helicopters. I don't know squat about glass, so I'm here to learn from you all. I'm just getting ready to take my first "Introductory to Glass Blowing" class this month and I'm totally excited! It's something I've been wanting to do for years. So, thank you all in advance for answering all of my noob questions!

glassdocnc
01-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Hi Mike! Welcome to TMP.

RNMike
01-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Thanks glassdocnc! I can't wait to get started!

The Upper Glass
01-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Hey everyone I've been blowing glass for almost 14 years now all self taught! (Before the phenomenal of the internet entered our house) I'm not much of a computer person but know how to use my Facebook pretty good lol

glassyboy
01-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Hello, my name is Kyle, new to the forum, very interested in blowing glass have had many friends/acquaintances in my time who've blown, really enjoy the vibe on this forum, looking forward to getting a small setup going and contributing where possible.
I've been in some customer service jobs however my main income recently has been from the production of composite carbon fiber airplane parts for lockheed.
Hoping my mechanical abilities and love for creation will provide me with a solid base line for this beautiful medium and art style. I have been a oil painter for many years however I don't consider myself an artist, more of a blender in fact. The beauty of art is not what you can make people see but what people can see themselves.
I'm the loving type with deep beliefs in Karma and the natural. Art has helped me throughout the years to relieve stress in my life and I carry so much lately, I'm looking for something that I can truly apply myself to and get out of the corp slave-based 9-5. Thank you for the hospitality and the chance for an introduction.
best wishes,
kyle

KellerGlass503
01-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Steve Keller aka KellerGlass
From & currently reside in the Portland Of Oregon. I'm 32 been melting for two years. Been a slow start but I'm catching momentum !

PyroChixRock
02-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Welcome guys :)

moyse707
02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Figured I'd introduce myself and start doing some actual posting:wonka:
Names Sam, aka moyse_glass
Been melting for 2 years now.
Started torching in Arcata, CA.
Relocated to Albuquerque, NM.
Greymatter glass is my local shop. Shout out to Doug!
Thanks Talk Glass!

Van Schwank
02-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Hi, I'm Van Schwank. That's almost my reply name my last name us actually Schwanky which is spelled phonetically. I'm from the Florida Panhandle. I've watched my friends blow glass for years. I've decided when we finish buying our house, which is supposed to happen next week, could take an extra two weeks to close, I am going to make a small glass studio, with the intention of making a living creating. I'm sure it's going to be hard work. Lots of burns and cuts. Probably won't be able to quit my job for a year or two but yeah... Fuck it, it's my dream right. Any ways my buddy told me to come here and lurk Moar so here I am. Trying to learn about torches and kilns and then it will be tools and glass.

OPAL
02-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Figured I'd come out and introduce myself on this rare leap day.

Name is Robert G. aka OPAL

TMP lurker for 6+ yrs.

Glass Collector for 17+ yrs.

Been in Vegas for the past 20 yrs.

Currently an Automotive Tech for last 15 yrs. Looking to break into the emerging medical dispensaries popping up here and finally take up lampworking as a serious side project after almost 12 years of wanting to do so and see where it leads me. (As time permits)

I've lost 4 close people/friends to me within the last decade.. which has made my personality quite drama-free with an appreciation for life and time left for it, however long or short it may be.

Been on the torch for a total of 3 months. (off and on over the period of a couple of years) Pretty much just practicing the fundamentals of GTT triple torch control: flame types, where to work in the flame along with simple clear rod techs. (gathers, cold punty, hot punty, rod intro into flame, etc.) Basic beginner stuff.

Still at the base of the information mountain as far as tech and terms though. Just need to find more time for research and practice which will hopefully come with a job transition.

I'm humble to be considered part of this community of artist.

Thanks to all of you that contribute to the knowledge base of this forum and do their thing on a daily basis... Not sure where I would have known where to start without it.

And with that, consider me introduced.

Hello all ! :peace:

PyroChixRock
02-29-2016, 05:10 PM
About time you came out of lurking. Happy to have you here, Robert. :blowkiss:

Chad S
02-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the POT Opal... Judging by your 1st post, your already ahead of most noobs. I bet you'll fit in just fine around here, glad you finally decided to brake the ice & share a lil insight. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, I'll try my best to help. Wish you best of luck with the glass adventure.

OPAL
02-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the POT Opal... Judging by your 1st post, your already ahead of most noobs. I bet you'll fit in just fine around here, glad you finally decided to brake the ice & share a lil insight. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, I'll try my best to help. Wish you best of luck with the glass adventure.

Thanks Twist & Misha for the warm welcome. Still a lot of ducks to get inline before I can start a progression thread but slowly getting there everyday. :crazy:

Michael fullspectrum
03-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Hi all. I'm Michael, aka fullspectrumglass, aka spiritglass.
Been lampworking boro about 19 years now, mostly pipes and millies.
Living in WV now.

Tombstone Brick
03-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi I'm Sean from Tombstone Tile. I make glass tile from food and beverage containers. I use a air fired wood oven that I made.

Roland8974
03-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Hello I'm roland. Been in the background for years and finally pulled the trigger. I'm almost 2 weeks in melting glass. It's the best. Please check out my progression thread in the newbie forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

girlycomputerwizard
03-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Hello Everyone. My names Brandy. 34 year old graphic designer here. Been coding and freezing my pc up with photoshop for over 15 years.
I'm a northern Illinois native currently residing near Chicagoland. I've been making silver jewelry and setting stones for awhile now and I feel like I want to go where my heart really is. It's really not in engagement rings. I grew up watching a glass artist. He doesn't work anymore, but I still have some of his old pieces (some over a decade old) and use them almost everyday still. My obsession with glass started with his marbles and the millies he would buy off other artists. I still marvel at anything "encased" in glass. I stayed away from lampwork because I was young and afraid of the health risk, but after a few losses to cancer in the past few months, I see no reason not to pursue. YOLO right? I want to start with lampwork and get my bead on. My silver work involved a lot of moonstone cabs and I would really like to recapture that look with fuming. Sorry, my mouth got away with me. Anyways, Hi! Please to meet you all.

glassdocnc
03-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Hi Brandy, welcome to TMP.

mattholimeau
03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Fancy yourself a computer wizard, eh? Thems might be fightin words right there. Hah.

Anyway, welcome! Where you're coming from is a direction I'd like to explore a bit in the future - silver jewelry and settings, engagement rings and the whatnot. I might try to pick your brain sometime.

Dan Kooper
03-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Welcome!

Cosmo
03-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Been coding and freezing my pc up with photoshop for over 15 years.

There's your first mistake...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Been in the same field as you for 26 years, and I can't resist the urge to extol the virtues of Macs. It comes with the territory. :D

Seriously though, welcome. Not a huge health risk from glass if you do it right.

PyroChixRock
03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Don't worry girl, glass won't give you health problems. Let us know if you need any help! :D

Nuka Glass
03-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm a northern Illinois native currently residing near Chicagoland.

Welcome fellow Chicagoan! I am on the south side of Chicago about 15-20 minutes from the city. Just started up myself. You will love melting glass it is amazing :)
Feel free to ask anyone on here any questions. They have been extremely helpful to me in more ways than just melting glass. Most will become your second family :)

mattholimeau
03-22-2016, 12:37 PM
There's your first mistake...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Been in the same field as you for 26 years, and I can't resist the urge to extol the virtues of Macs. It comes with the territory. :D

Seriously though, welcome. Not a huge health risk from glass if you do it right.

At the risk of annoying everyone for derailing the thread (... sorry guys... can't help it... have.. to... argue...)

Every mac is a personal computer. "Mac vs PC" has always been a complete misnomer, and incredibly aggravating. PC shouldn't mean "windows based". Grr!

Also, down with macs! Well... hah... unless you're in the graphic design business.... whoops. (For the record, I use *nix on a majority of the systems I use on a daily basis. Problem with macs is they go out of their way to not play nice with others, walled garden and the whatnot. Get quicktime the F off my system.) Okay, I'm stopping now. Sorry about that. I probably shoulda looked for a different thread for this.

Jimi The Don
03-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Yeah but bitchin about such things gets you nowhere
Band aids are adhesive bandages
Not all borosilicate is "Pyrex"
What everyone calls a "beaker" shape is actually a flask
It's CTE not COE
etc
Back to hellos, welcomes to all

Cosmo
03-22-2016, 01:04 PM
At the risk of annoying everyone for derailing the thread (... sorry guys... can't help it... have.. to... argue...)

Every mac is a personal computer. "Mac vs PC" has always been a complete misnomer, and incredibly aggravating. PC shouldn't mean "windows based". Grr!

Also, down with macs! Well... hah... unless you're in the graphic design business.... whoops. (For the record, I use *nix on a majority of the systems I use on a daily basis. Problem with macs is they go out of their way to not play nice with others, walled garden and the whatnot. Get quicktime the F off my system.) Okay, I'm stopping now. Sorry about that. I probably shoulda looked for a different thread for this.

It's all good. It was just a joke. See that little green smiley face there?

mattholimeau
03-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Jimi, you're right. I know. ::sigh:: Though... it's actually the opposite of band aids and kleenex. It's like saying "tissues" refers only to kleenex, and if it's a generic brand tissue, you can't call it a tissue. Maddening!

I didn't ever think of "cte vs coe" - is there a thread here or anywhere I can bitch about this? Where did "coe" come from - is it just a shortening of the word "coeffecient" and lots of people decided it was probably an acronym? Gah! And thanks, now I've got another one to gripe over, hah.

Cosmo - hah, yeah, all good here too. As you said - one of those things that just comes with the territory. (No abrasiveness intended at all - just gotta extol the virtues of, umm, macs suck. Hah. Bitching with a smile on my face, if that makes sense.)

Also, welcome, welcome one and all!

Jimi The Don
03-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Who knows?
If Coe is short for coefficient, then that'd be silly as well cuz there are all types of coefficients, not just the coefficient of thermal expansion
It was probably written incorrectly by one person at some point and no one corrected it so it perpetuated itself
Kinda like a "blue moon"
A blue moon was originally the second full moon in a season, so it happened somewhat frequently, the farmers almanac however mistakenly defined it as the second full moon in a month, which happens much less frequently, and it just stuck.
Kinda like how one person made a flask shape for a tube but called it a beaker and now everyone calls them beaker bottoms or beaker shapes. Some shit just gets stuck.

Jimi The Don
03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Also, macs suck.

Nuka Glass
03-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Also, macs suck.

What? Why do Macs suck? I worked for Geek Squad for 5 years and was the senior tech. Out of everything I did more repairs on a PCs than I did Macs. Those new iMacs are a pain to take apart and replace a hard drive or even the screen. Broke the glass that is in front of the LCD screen on one customer's Mac before. My manager loved me because I didn't hide it, called the customer right away and informed them we are taking care of it. Ordered the part right away.

Mac IMO have always been good for those that are not very good with computers. Ease to use.

And I am a PC guy myself. Never owned a Mac in my life but I wouldn't say they suck. Far from it.

EDIT: Just thought about it but the Macs we used in college for Graphic Design sucked. But they were dinosaurs compared to what was out at the time. I used to be hours into work and it would lock up on me.

Nomad
03-22-2016, 02:26 PM
I had a mac once. It was awesome! It was very expensive though. Became out of date and I did not make the money to get another one. Plus the programs can only be used on a mac.
I got photoshop for pc. I took a photo class and got a slr camera. Now I just use my pc. Mostly because it is cheaper. But I have gone through 3 of them since my mac. I got a really nice all in one printer also. It is all I need.

Nomad
03-22-2016, 02:27 PM
The iPhone is actually the most reliable.

Nuka Glass
03-22-2016, 02:30 PM
The iPhone is actually the most reliable.

Got that right Nomad. Apple is very strict about what is put on their market. Also the keyboard prediction on the iPhone is superb. I have an LG G4 now (owned an iPhone since the first one all the way to the 5s) and the one thing I miss is how the iPhone keyboard would detect which letter I meant to press. Now I always hit the period key instead of the space bar. :bangHead:

mattholimeau
03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
My bad, people. All my fault, blame me. If you want to continue to discuss why macs suck (as they so totally do), please jump over to the new thread I just created for this purpose:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?63015-Why-do-macs-suck

PyroChixRock
03-23-2016, 08:29 AM
We should totally make a CTE vs COE thread, too. I wanna know more!

Jimi The Don
03-23-2016, 09:03 AM
Both are accurate,
COE means 'Coefficient of Expansion'
CTE is a little more accurate meaning 'Coefficient of Thermal Expansion'
You see both used in definitions and in books dating back quite a while, though it's more accurately 'Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion', so maybe CLTE or even COLTE would technically be even more accurate actually
It's a tomato toe-ma-toe type of thing really
Personally, I'm more used to CTE. It's expressed that way in most of the books I've read and that's how I was taught, but it doesn't really matter either way

FifDeez
03-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Omg pyrochix don't wack the beehive starting That thread lol

PyroChixRock
03-23-2016, 11:21 AM
:lol but science!!

girlycomputerwizard
03-25-2016, 09:00 PM
I know about the debate on pc vs. mac in graphic design. I'll lay down my cards right now. I learned on a pc, grew up using one, hated Steve Jobs, won't work on an Apple system. I dapple in application dev as well and I'm only licensed to develope things for android. It's called loyalty. Haha. I'm just messing around. I know macs do better work in the field but I just don't like working on them.

Seriously though, thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Weestals
03-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Hiya. Newb here. I have been lurking in these forums for a while as I am dipping my toes into the world of glass. I recently have received my fathers 60 year old torch and I am gracefully making glass globs. I am addicted! Looking forward to being a part of the community.

LRG
03-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Hiya. Newb here. I have been lurking in these forums for a while as I am dipping my toes into the world of glass. I recently have received my fathers 60 year old torch and I am gracefully making glass globs. I am addicted! Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Very cool!What kind of torch is it?

Weestals
03-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Very cool!What kind of torch is it?

Not sure the name of it. I will ask my father then next time I speak with him. I have been using it for a few weeks now. Melting boro rods like a boss (4-8mm, I haven't tried bigger as of yet). I will retire this torch as soon and keep it as an antique as soon as I can afford a newer one.

Cerberus
04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Another newb joined up recently from Reno NV. Degreed Engineer with many years of metal and wood work experience, and currently own a small CNC machine shop. I need a new hobby so picked up a Red Max w/ Premix topper and some boro samples. I gre up around soft glass artists but never had time to do myself. Metal and wood is subtractive and glass is additive so this is totally opposite of my experience and thought it would be an interesting way to expand my thinking methods. I haven't learned how to do anything new in a long time and the organic nature of glass is challenging and interesting. So far i am just exploring the medium and enjoying the mystery! A few ugly pipes, some wobbly pendants and boring marbles is all I've got to show but having fun. I make an effort to do at least ONE piece every night just to train my fingers to spin. So many questions I don't even know where to start so I'll just watch and learn until i can ask real Q's

glassdocnc
04-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Welcome to TMP Cerberus.

sharpcanoe
04-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Total newbie here. Been surfing this site for as much info I can get before jumping into the fire. Just wanted to say hello and ty for having this site with all the info. From eastern Canada ( Edmundston New Brunswick ) and not too many people working in glass around here. Seams they are mostly out in the western part of Canada. May be able to get into a class for training which may be 6 or more hours away and if not then its up to me to try and learn on my own without burning this city down.. The peasants may be a little upset with that and end up burning one at the stake if caught.... Let the flame begin....

Winegums
04-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Hello, I'm a new member who is really interested in working boro glass making pipes, scuplture and marbles. I've been studying the subject for about 9 months now and feel I finally have a good enough grasp to buy my own torch and kiln. Right now seems as best a time as any since I've been laid off my job and I've wanted to pursue an artistic career for all my life. The organic nature of glass combined with the vibrant colours is what draws me to the material.

I'm no stranger to art and working with hot materials as I've been a hobby blacksmith/bladesmith for 4 years now. Where I can see similarities with glass and steel I know full well that there's a large learning curve when it comes to flame chemistry and colour. I've been trying to absorb as much as I can from a lot of videos and reading sources online but I still feel I'm a newb.

I'm looking to get a Mirage torch and a Paragon front load bench top kiln from Mountain Glass.

Cosmo
04-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Welcome!

Good luck getting that Mirage. GTTs are great torches, but there is often a waiting list to get one. I've heard of some people waiting up to a year. If you want one your best bet may be trying to get a used one. They pop up here from time to time, and you can also check the GTT Facebook groups. Sometimes even on Ebay. Just have your money ready. They often sell within a few hours of being posted.

IronWolf
04-27-2016, 08:15 AM
so where you from ? northern Ca here

Winegums
04-27-2016, 10:28 AM
so where you from ? northern Ca here

Fraser Valley, BC, Canada North of you!

PyroChixRock
04-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Welcome. Get on the GTT waiting list for the mirage, you might just get lucky. :)

AllUpInThatGlass
04-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Hey there Glass Fam!

I'm Sean from Texas. Took a 3 day workshop at GlassCraft in CO and am now totally hooked. My workshop is established and I'm getting my skills up slowly but surely. Currently running on a GTT Lynx.

Studio name (and MassRoots, Gmail, domain, etc.)(I've officially registered the name) is "All Up In That Glass Studio".

I know - a bit crass or whatever. But it's in my vein of thinking, and of course, highly memorable :)

ksglass
05-04-2016, 02:32 AM
I'm Erik from Kansas. After making a spoon from a propane torch using garcia & vega cigar tube and seeing how amazing fuming looks I decided to get a few supplies for my Son & I to start learning. So far I've ordered my torch, some graphite tools & an l marver and a little soft glass. I hope to be up and running in month or so and learn to do some decent fuming before too long. Hoping to find a torch for my son that we could use to get killer fuming from and a few oxygen generators next. I've been reading this forum for about a month and just joined. Very informative and ppl seem pretty kind here.

Nuka Glass
05-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Welcome Sean and Erik. This community is amazing and very helpful. I recommend doing as much research as you can and the forum has an abudance of information.

Its been a great journey for myself so far and once you get hooked it just sucks you in.

Enjoy and welcome again!
Eric

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

FifDeez
05-04-2016, 12:00 PM
I'm Erik from Kansas. After making a spoon from a propane torch using garcia & vega cigar tube and seeing how amazing fuming looks I decided to get a few supplies for my Son & I to start learning. So far I've ordered my torch, some graphite tools & an l marver and a little soft glass. I hope to be up and running in month or so and learn to do some decent fuming before too long. Hoping to find a torch for my son that we could use to get killer fuming from and a few oxygen generators next. I've been reading this forum for about a month and just joined. Very informative and ppl seem pretty kind here.
I hope your not planning on making pipes with soft glass.

Gahhruuba
05-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I'll throw down an intro.

Hello everyone who has already introduced themselves!
I'm 24, live in the borean tundra in the winter, and a lake of fire in the summer aka North Dakota.

Been blowing glass for like... 6 months? Or something like that off and on.
It's a super awesome time, no pipes are to be made in my neck of the woods due to North Dakota dishing out felonies to anyone that manufactures glass pipes... But i'm working on all sorts of other techniques like implosions, marbles, pendents, and such things like that.

Enjoi it!

Panda
05-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Panda, (Nikki you don't that <<<) 30 NV. Glass blow in high school (like 13yrs ago). Still love it, curious to try with a big torch!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Panda
05-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Oh and addicted to everyone's pictures! On this damn site 10times a day.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Arjun
05-18-2016, 12:13 AM
hi... i am arjun cmg frm chennai , india

SriLoans arrange personal loans, home loans, car loans,
business loans in Chennai and all over India at quick and best interest rates from banks at your door steps.
Provide your loan requirement and get approved immediately.

Address:
International Tech Park, CSIR Road, Taramani, Chennai - 600113, Tamil Nadu, India

Chennai, Tamil Nadu

+919003175707

we have arranged for all kind of loans and insurance polices within a hour.....

Jimi The Don
05-18-2016, 05:44 AM
hi... I am arjun cmg frm chennai , india

sriloans arrange personal loans, home loans, car loans,
business loans in chennai and all over india at quick and best interest rates from banks at your door steps.
Provide your loan requirement and get approved immediately.

Address:
International tech park, csir road, taramani, chennai - 600113, tamil nadu, india

chennai, tamil nadu

+919003175707

we have arranged for all kind of loans and insurance polices within a hour.....

guffaw!

Double Helix
05-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Hey Folks,
My name's Jed. I've been flameworking since 1997 and making glass color since 2006. I own and operate a little manufacturing shop producing small batch 104coe color rod outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. (Double Helix Glassworks)
It's good to see such a vibrant community of glass enthusiasts.

fUmEsNiFfEr
05-18-2016, 09:27 PM
What up Jed! You sold me my first torch when you worked at Frantz :chilling:

glassdocnc
05-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Hi Jed, great to have you here. This is a fantastic community.

Nomad
05-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Not sure I would give all my business info to Indians ?
I was not treated fairly years ago by the import companies.
But I do order generic medication from India. So I have heard of stranger things.
I have Indian friends that I grew up with around here also. But Ashish sells jewelry imported from India wholesale. It is a different business. Indian was his first language.
I try not to need loans my sales are to sporadic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmo
05-19-2016, 06:13 AM
Hey Folks,
My name's Jed. I've been flameworking since 1997 and making glass color since 2006. I own and operate a little manufacturing shop producing small batch 104coe color rod outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. (Double Helix Glassworks)
It's good to see such a vibrant community of glass enthusiasts.

I had no idea you guys were that close to me...

JayBoogie
05-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Not sure I would give all my business info to Indians ?
I was not treated fairly years ago by the import companies.
But I do order generic medication from India. So I have heard of stranger things.
I have Indian friends that I grew up with around here also. But Ashish sells jewelry imported from India wholesale. It is a different business. Indian was his first language.
I try not to need loans my sales are to sporadic.

Do you respond to all of your junk mail?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nomad
05-19-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't but I have been contacted by Indian glass blowers looking for work in the USA. But they just go back to India with your designs and can live like a king on $350 week.

Nomad
05-19-2016, 01:46 PM
23,612 Indian rubles to be exact is $350 us.

jseden
05-25-2016, 04:37 PM
hello all!

as you can see im not a new member but have taken a several year hiatus. the main reason being that i have spent the past 5 years in production glass, most recently, for the past three and a half years, ive been working for Illuzion glass galleries on their "I'll glass" line in Denver. prior to that i was working for a scientific shop in centennial co. anyway.. looking forward to rejoining and sharing what I can

flame on !

MoNgO MAN
06-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Gene AKA Mongo
Blacksmith
I have been doing ornamental ironwork for 12 years.took a couple glass classes over the last year and a half now set up a small studio.
DELAWARE

9ENIUS
06-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Designer by trade here, 99% structural work. Looking for a creative outlet and have always been into glass art, first came to this forum 9 years ago. Back then I was very interested in starting but had no space to work in a shared living environment but got/read the first two contemporary lampworking books and another book on sculpture. Going to have to re-read those. Now I'm married, have a house and have rekindled my interest into melting glass, just purchased a 2 hour private class for my wife and I to give this a shot. Used to do slumping and grinding w/ 90coe bullseye glass making cabochons so I have some coldworking tools and a small kiln as well. Hopefully I'll be sticking around this time.
I tend to obsess over my hobbies, one of which is brewing beer, so I might just get sucked in.
Very interested in learning everything that I can and applying my personal skills, insight, and flavor to the medium. I made another account before I remembered my old login details, and will probably be using that one, 9ENIUS actually i'd like to just merge them and use that name if possible, will pm.

stevehall531
06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Hi I'm Steve live in central Florida new to glass world

Sassquatch
07-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Hey all. Software developer here looking for a new hobby. I've been watching lamp working videos over the past few years, and have been dying to try it myself. I'm moving to Denver this month for work, so I figure it's as good a time as any to give it a go. I hope to learn as much as possible from everyone here, and eventually contribute some new works and ideas.

Spyd0r
08-05-2016, 01:04 AM
hey guys been lurking a few months on and off now, keep getting tempted to spend money lol i first started melting glass at the beginning of the year and have been crazy about it since, i'm currently working as a painter saving every penny so i can melt, hopefully one day i can be as good as some of you guys, i live in australia and i'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time, so hopefully when i am that good i'll be able to just blow everyone away :)

am0z
08-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Hello to all!

My name is chris, I live in the DFW metroplex and work in the music business. For years I've wanted to get into flameworking glass, but haven't ever had a mentor. My friend and I are starting to setup a small studio to start making some pipes and pendants. We're definitely still looking for someone to help guide us. However I know that I will at least be able to get a decent idea from reading and watching.

Dan Kooper
08-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the melting pot! Lots of good info on this site and helpful knowledgeable people.

wittyfew
09-11-2016, 11:09 AM
hey guys, shawn here I live in small town montana and started working soft glass on a hothead my brother got as a gift when he was in highschool doing so with very minor success for about a year and a half until a local piper hmu through a mutual friend group and introduced me to boro helping me immensely now 3 months in the boro bugs bit me and its full bor(o)e straight ahead

Ray
09-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Welcome Shawn.
It sounds like you will fit right in here.
There is a ton of info here that will help you out
with most any question.

East Bay Ray
09-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Hello everyone. New to posting but have been here a while soaking it all in. Really have learned alot. Finally got everything together yesterday. Was the first time I actually lit a torch! Been waiting for this day to come for years. Thanks to all you for helping.
Never posted much, as It was all right here. I just had to look around. :shifty:

hullguitars
10-29-2016, 12:39 AM
The name is Grant and I'm a professional luthier. (I build guitars and violins for a living) I have about 15 years of blacksmithing, casting, and machining experience. Started when I was in middle school. Have always been interested in glass but never pursued it. This hobby is more for my son. He has been begging me to teach you how to make marbles, so that is why I am pursuing it. I collect vintage marbles and have a passion for them so this will be as enjoyable for me as it is for him. I will be spending my money on tools within the next 48 hours Lord willing. I've made some of my choices but the opinions found here and elsewhere will sway my choices somewhat.

My wife is a professional jeweler, and I feel like glasswork will fit right in with our family. It will teach my son craftsmanship, and give him an interest of his own. It will also teach him entrepreneurship as he will be marketing his work online. He is 12, and it is time he learned how to do business.

longtemps
11-03-2016, 10:34 PM
This is part of an earlier message I had posted in another section, but I thought I'd post this portion where it belongs.

I am a newbie, torchworking boro glass since this Spring. I am usually creating marbles. Some might suggest as an attempt to compensate for those I've lost , but I am really having a lot of fun. It is one hobby of mine where I can not mind my failures because every failure is still very much a part of the learning.

I have a small torch, a tiny kiln and recently, an oxygen concentrator. I work outside, which will become interesting as the Maine winter approaches. I do this largely for ventilation issues, though I still do have a duct and fan to pull the fumes near the flame away from me. Nothing beats natural light for illumination. Wind more than cold seems to slow down heating of glass.

Another member had already asked for photos of some of my marbles. I have been averaging only 3 to 5 marbles a week but I am learning a lot each time. I even felt proud enough to give a couple as gifts. Here are some recent works.87550

saintgello
11-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Hey everyone I'm Cameron, I have a day job working with quartz glass at a small company in Daytona Beach FL, but on my own time im home working with my own simple setup. I'm 21 and I'm new to the glass community, I've only been behind a torch a few months but I've taking to it pretty quick. I've always been fascinated with glass ever since I was a kid and I'm eager to learn as much as I can from everyone here!

Mlkmader
11-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Michael aka Mikey/pooch/mader/
About to be 27, supervisor at a moulding and millwork plant and part time janitor at an elementry school. Have wanted to work glass for quite a while but everything's so expensive, trying to learn what I can while I save up.

Xortian
11-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Hello forumers of Melting Pot,

I am an admire of glasswork and have been for a majority of my life. It all started back when i was taken to the Chihuly Tropical Botanical Garden I was mesmerized by the shapes and artistic twist that was put into every single piece there.

Unfortunately I was never able to pursue my ambition when my interest sparked so like any child i redirected my attention elsewhere as to not be disappointed instead of keeping my eye on the prize, learning how to blow glass.

For the past few months i have done research in my local area for shops that could teach me the art of Lampworking because i have found my interest to be in glowing functional glass pipes. This interest has led me to buying a few pieces made by artists in different states i have traveled to through out the year. But I no longer want to only be limited to the thoughts or creations of others, I want to create work of my own to share.

So i am reaching out to the Melting Pot Community, Please guide me in accomplishing my goal of learning how to work with glass.

Thank you,

Xortian

Xortian
11-15-2016, 11:46 AM
pm'd you

Heartovmidnight
11-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Hi! My name is Shannon. 42 years old, been working with a torch for about 7 months now and I'm totally hooked. Born and raised in Quebec Canada, currently living in south-eastern Connecticut.

Hello! :)

Siliconi
12-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Hey! I'm new here. Fairly new to glass work too. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

JMBaker79
12-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Hey Everyone, my name is Justin, 30, Married Father of two, Fountain Pen Ninja, brand new to glass working but looking forward to nailing it down!

devit
01-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Apparently posting in here is the thing to do? I'm interested in glass chemistry, have a little (10'x10') home shop (mirage on liquid), and occasionally kiln cast and mess around in the hotshop.

Dave Eggen
01-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Hi innerweb friend's I'm Dave, I live in northern Illinois, and I build flameworking glasslathes for a living!!! I'm a retired, Professional head race car fabricator/ hot rod, muscle car special projects fabricator. And a bunch of other official title's. I go by Dr. Dave, I'll fix anything I want to. I'm a straight shooter, and fire fast from the hip. Please don't waste my time, I will not waste yours.

If you need help, you can always bend my ear!!!!! I can offer you a positive suggestion.

If you want a glass lathe, find me professionally online! Or message me through this app thingy.

The lathes are as high quality as quality can be. There is no other sales pitch other than Made in the USA.

I also sell mechanical trip Push Box's for heavy equipment. So if Snow Removal is your game, please do not hesitate to chat me up. I do not melt glass much. I leave that up to my older brother. I prefer to melt metal!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170108/612376b4f064a3e3c7f43061f36af8f4.jpghttps://vimeo.com/198602787

PyroChixRock
01-08-2017, 03:38 PM
nice. welcome :)

brien9fingers
01-15-2017, 09:05 PM
Hello! my name Is Brien, and I melt on a Bethlehem champion, here is some of my work and a picture of my ugly mug!8862688627886288862988630

derux667
01-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi, I am a complete newbie here, but excited to start! Currently looking for some tips and advice for starting out!
28/m/tx. My inspiration is my high school work experience in a glass factory, (stained glass mostly windows). I would like to build a furnace and start from there!

greenhead_glass
01-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Hey all, I am new to the board. My name is Tim and I am from Oregon. I am not completely new to glass working but am just getting back into it after a few years off. Just picked up a CC plus and some new tools as I sold my old CC and gear a few years back. Look forward to being a part of the board.

DAT_Glass
02-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Drew Tompkins out of Boulder CO go by D.A.T_Glass on IG Im new to all this. Journeyman electrician if you have any electrical questions hit me up.

24kilo
02-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi 24kilo here, I'm from Broken Arrow Oklahoma. I'm new to the glass world.
My interest will be mixed media and marbles. Background I was military for 11yrs electronics, Machinist for 20 yrs now Eng./Estimator, Hobbies way too many to list but the biggest one is modifying stuff. I can't leave well enough alone. I plan on making most of my advanced equipment but I'm starting out on a hothead. I've already started to design a torch on ACAD., but who knows how long it'll take to build...lol. Well that's me.

Jason Lindquist
02-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Welcome, DAT Glass and 24kilo. Machinists and electricians are good to have around. You know, people that know how to do stuff.

PyroChixRock
02-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Welcome :)

KravinGlass
02-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Sup?

A.I.
02-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Sup kravin?! Good to see you on here!

nevacereza
03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
My name is Nick and I'm based out of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Suburbs.
I work in a clothing warehouse during the day and make cool art at night and on the weekends.
I've been on the torch for a little over a year and set up my own studio in my garage January 2017.

Jason Lindquist
03-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Welcome, Nick. I'm a fellow Minnesotan (Thief River Falls).

Moon Moth
04-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Hey cool kids, Kaylynn here. I spent the last several years managing a smoke shop out here in NM, where I made some great connections that allowed me to get behind the torch. I quit the day job Jan. 2017 to melt full time and am absolutely loving it. Still very new to glass and have thoroughly enjoyed all of the amazing info, photos, and advice I've found from lurking the forum for the last few weeks. I'm looking forward to diving deeper into glass (boro) and joining an encouraging and knowledgeable community. Cheers and happy melting! ^^

Vlad
04-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi here !

I'm Marc, aka Vlad for all the internet :devilish: !

Swiss guy, work scientifical glass for many year and artistic for fun :D

I live with my girlfriend and our 2 cats, in Lyon, France !

I'm an ex gamer :bouncy: and now glass fanatic :insane:

jFour
04-10-2017, 07:53 AM
What's up everyone! My name's John and I'm all the way up in Bangor, Maine. For the last few years I've been managing a head shop here and decided recently I wanted to get behind the torch myself. A few weeks ago one of our local glassblowers was dropping an order off and I was talking to her about how I wanted to get started.. fast forward to this past weekend and she called me and said she had a glassblowing setup for me! I honestly couldn't believe it but she said she's gotten a lot of breaks in her career and wanted to pay it forward (her name is Beth Fuller if any of you are former Disney glassblowers or worked in Florida with her). It's not much but I'm now a proud owner of a Nortel Minor, more tools than I can name ATM, an EX-10 Oxy Concentrator, a whole bunch of clear glass, and a propane and oxygen regulator (won't be using the oxy reg with the concentrator she just said she didn't need it anymore). Before I get to melting I'm going to set up a hood and fan system and eventually get a kiln but until then I'll be scouring this forum since it seems to be THE best place I've found online for learning lampworking. I'll be ordering the Bundhu books soon as well. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

glassdocnc
04-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Congrats John! Welcome to TMP. Your fun is just beginning!

jFour
04-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Thank you! And it definitely seems like that'll be the case!

lovisal
04-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Hello,

My name is Connor, I cook most of the week. On Saturdays I travel an hour north to spend time on a torch for most of the day. I've been doing this for the past two months and am certainly hooked. First contact with glass was last summer at CMOG where I did a flameworking demo. I reside in Indianapolis, IN. Hope to meet some fellow Hoosiers here, if not, hope to learn a thing or two.

Thanks

Elabglass
05-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Benji aka Elab_glass on the torch since June 2016

Cmiller920
05-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Hi complete noob!! But 22 live in central coast CA I am literally just starting out and shopping around mainly looking into starting out with pendants and moving on to pipes or straight tube rigs whenever I have the skill to do so! Thanks and feel free to send any suggestions my way!!

jeve
08-19-2017, 01:19 AM
Hey jb and eve here. New to the forum, and we are glad to be here. We hope to learn some and share some. We are married and work together as a team. Super to meet you all :)

B-Rye-oNeR
08-20-2017, 10:26 AM
It's been awhile , wot up MP ?!?😎

bossrigger.mm
08-21-2017, 01:22 AM
Hi folks just learning to run this thing! trying to communicate with hot glass blowers, I can see it's a little more about the torch than the furnace here but would be psyched to connect.
I've begun a full renovation of my garage to turn it into a hot shop! I believe molten glass is more precious than gold and a lot harder to find!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gpmdnj
08-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Looking for someone to create glass pendants with my sons ashes in them for me and my daughters and granddaughter. Any recommendations?

BORO
08-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Misha a.k.a pyrochicksrock,

I could do it, but I would still recomed her from sheer experience.

BORO
08-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Pyrochixrock. (sp)

MichaelRS
08-29-2017, 02:04 AM
Hi All,

I'm Michael and I am inspired by the community, so opted to join in sharing a few of my heat and reading others. :)

PyroChixRock
08-29-2017, 09:19 AM
welcome :)

bossrigger.mm
09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Blew glass for the first time in front of a big crowd it was crazy!

Saying hi from South Boston
And Diablo glass school!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/6d231b1c0109f292b6130a112dbe2bc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

crisson
09-05-2017, 04:43 AM
Names Jim...no AKA...just Jim. Joined April of 2016 and have been lurking ever since. Took a class last spring but don't have any equipment or a studio to work in so I would have to use my open patio and a HH/vermiculite...not ideal. I guess I will just continue to lurk for a while and see what happens. Lots of good info here.

Fluffstar
09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Hello, I'm Kathy, I'm a slow convert over from soft glass. I'm self-employed making murrini for glass fusers out of bullseye90, but nothing as fancy as the boro milli's I see on insta! I'm nudging into boro because I want to make baubles for friends and family for christmas. My aim is one day to make myself some whisky glasses. I'm based in Scotland, UK =)
I used to love the soft glass forums but they've kind of died off because of the facebook groups - It's great to see a forum still active! I've learned so much already =)

BurntHands
10-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Do you just do the fused logs or do you do torchwork too? I'm thinking you must pull them down somehow. I have a huge amount of 90coe clear rod and I've never acquired any bullseye rods to melt with it. It plays nice with bullseye plate and the fusers pulled me some vitrigraph rods that were fun to play with, compatible with 90 dichro too. I can't bring myself to mail-order another glass system, and I've never met a bullseye lampworker or been in a shop that had bullseye rods IRL. It was labelled as boro when I bought it, and I never cared about soft glass. Now I'm working in a hotshop and I'm surround by 96 and 104 all day, still havent found anyone that flameworks 90coe, or at least not anyone that wants to make a lopsided trade.

I really wish my soft glass stash was 96. When I pull clear cane in the hotshop I have to keep my laser-straight sections for punties, most of it's not totally straight like this old factory 90 rod is.

Welcome! I think we have another awesome bullseye fused murrine maker on here, I've wanted one of her NES sprite coins for a while.

Fluffstar
10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Do you just do the fused logs or do you do torchwork too? I'm thinking you must pull them down somehow

Yeah I do the whole lot on the torch and pull in one go; I don't actually fuse - that's for my customers! I used to, but melting things with fire is way more fun. I design the murrine with the distortion when fused flat in mind - the chips will ball up and then sink in, so mostly the outside of the chip is what's visible when fused on top of flat pieces. So; there's no point me faffing about with complex internal designs because when they're full fused as surface decoration they distort quite a bit and end up lookin kinda pants unless they're chopped super thin.

Bullseye in the flame isn't brilliant - it's very unsaturated in colour to get the crazy levels of compatibility in fusing so complex designs aren't very easy, and can end up looking like smush because the colours wash out when pulled thin. I actually use the sheet in the torch, cut into strips - the bullseye rods are awful - basically twice the price, and the opals just shock and explode all over the place. The sheet is more carefully annealed, so I use that with long-nosed parallel pliers instead. I've used some 'coe90' clear and it's so different in viscosity (it's schott I think) that I can't really use it for canes but sometimes make icicles out of it at christmas. I use 96 and 104 too; but I'm lazy and hate pulling thick stringers so I don't do more of it. Bullseye pre-made 2mm stringers are my saviour! =)

BurntHands
10-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the bullseye working tips and warnings. That was about all I ever used this soft glass for was icicles and some wasted clear sculpture since the timings so different, it was in with a truckload of boro. its been sitting for years.
I googled R6 this morning, and found some new to me firsthand info posted by our resident Glass guru Brad S - apparently it's a 93 coe, and it's compatible with 90 coe and some german 96 color bar. I was sick in bed with a bad bronchial cough/cold all weekend, and that got me out into the shedio to try some 96 uroboros with it and everything worked. 1" marble lived after cooling in vermiculite not annealing, the stringer test curved slightly to the color side but no major curl. I went down to the hotshop, sick or not, and it seemed to play nice with every 96 color I tried: kugler, gaffer, zimmermann, reichenbach. Ive never been so excited to play on a Nortel minor. I'll see how everything looks when it comes out of the oven tomorrow. This opens so many doors, it torches so much nicer than the system 96 furnace glass, and the rods are perfectly straight not hand pulled. Faster and easier to shape than boro marbles on a smaller flame. I was convinced it was 90 because it worked with bullseye plate and 90 uroburos dichro, but it seems to work with 96 stuff too. I'm going to try 96 dichro and/or gethering out of the furnace onto a glass rod tomorrow if I get a chance.
You said you're a slow convert from soft glass, I'm going the other direction. Excited about soft glass now anyway, and yesterday I didn't care about this R6 stuff, now I can use it! I don't know how the viscosity compares to schott or bullseye but if you want to try some I could throw a few rods into a padded envelope and see if shipping to scotland is within my means for charity. I dont have a paypal acct anymore.

Jedidiah
10-09-2017, 06:14 PM
My name is Jedidiah and I have been on the torch for about a year. I have been learning from Russel at Rusty Glass and most make Boro functional art.

Kato
10-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Yoooo everyone! Im Kenyon, or Kato, or borokato. Whichever you like :) Been away for a while but plan on making more of an appearance! Been out hitting that interweb glass selling grind and I am hoping to share more of what I have learned on the side of the industry that is less on the torch and more on the phone. As well as the general glass discussion! In the process of moving out of my current shop and am going to be building my own home studio again here in the next couple weeks. So expect documentation on that as well :D

Nomad
10-10-2017, 03:40 AM
Hey Jed. Welcome to the forum.

PyroChixRock
10-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Hi, welcome!

forevergrateful
10-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Hey everyone just realized I never posted here when I joined. My name is Trevor I work and live in Appleton, WI and have been playing wth fire for about two years. My studio is Forever Grateful Glassworks L.L.C. which is in my garage and two other people rent from me. Long story about how i got into lampworking as short as possible. I've always been interested in lampworking however I was always made to believe that you had to have a commercial place for a studio and there are no actual stand alone studios within 2 hours of my house. So I became a printer 4 or 5 years later I suffered a severe back injury on the job ending my printing career and was told I'll never work again and I'll be lucky if I'm not in a wheel chair within a year. So for the next 8 years work comp. tried to screw me over (like they always do) before finally settling my case. Right before my settlement a friend was telling me how he was looking for a studio space to rent. I said hell I'd build one in my garage if I could. That's when my life changed and he said well why can't you and dropped the bombshell that everything I was told was a lie and with the right ventilation I could build my own studio. Now I'm 10 years post injury still walking without assistance and melting up to 40 hours a week when my back allows! Not only do I love lampworking it helps me deal/cope with my chronic pain. I look forward to meeting more of you learning and sharing what I can.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

poopers
10-15-2017, 10:11 AM

aommaster
11-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone!

Haven't posted a formal introduction of myself, so now's as good time as any! Prepare for a wall of text!

My name is Fai, and I am a glassworking enthusiast from Dubai (yes, that Dubai!). I graduated from a Canadian university with the equivalent of three degrees: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Mathematics. Currenty, I work as a Process Engineer for a gas plant here in the UAE.

I got my first exposure to glassworking while on a vacation to the US. I took a little lampworking taster session, just for the fun of it. Turned out I was really passionate about glass. I have and have had many hobbies, including close-up magic, photography, video games, computer virus removal, programming, teaching, model-railroading, piano-playing, writing my own music, you name it.

But glassworking was different. It captured my interest in a way that nothing has before and I'm sure that a lot of you have similar experiences. I found it calming and relaxing. It's a feeling I get when I watch glass melt that I cannot explain. Here's the first marble I ever made. It's only about 1.5cm in diameter (a little over 0.5"). Mishapen, full of problems. But it was the first, and I still have it with me as a reminder of where I started.

I recently went to the UK to spend a week with a British artist so I could build up a little more confidence in front of the torch. Now, I am in the process of setting up my own studio at my house. It is taking a while, as finding local vendors for glass and general equipment is quite difficult. Additionally, shipping the glassworking gear like the torch (I've settled on a Bethlehem Champion) is quite expensive, and I'm trying to not break the bank. My intent is to be able to make marbles. Maybe a few pendants, but marbles are what I'd like to be known for.

As with any community I've joined in the past, I would like to contribute too. In the past, I've contributed software, experience and expertise to the communities I've joined. While I hope that someday, I'll be able to share my experience here too, as of now, I'll focus with what I do have - a (relatively) strong grasp of chemistry, physics and mathematics. What I'd like to do is combine my scientific background with this art, and hopefully move it forward.

I hope to eventually find my place in this wonderful community. And I hope that you, as a community, share your knowledge and experience with me as well. Additionally, if there's anything you'd like to see from me, anything that you think might be beneficial for the glassworking community, or need help with in my area of expertise, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to offer whatever knowledge I do have.

I do have a website which you can go to by clicking the link in my signature. It's just a place for me to put up photos of my (non-glass-related) collection, photography and post to my blog.

Thank you

Brian bagwell
11-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Hey guys, names Brian. I've been doing art for over 10 years , just starting with my glass journey. I own a personal fitness studio by day. Living in Georgia currently with 4 dogs n my old lady. I love this forum. Really great threads. Thanks for sharing your community. Cheers!!

JBaily
11-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Hello!
My name is Joel and I live in Paden City, WV (SE Ohio Valley).
My family owns and operates Marv’s Place Restaurant across the river in Sardis, Ohio.

I’ve been interested in Lampworking for sometime, but never really had the time to get started. Well, we just recently resigned from being Mayor due to health issues, so I now have the time and I feel this is something I can do, even with my back issues.

So far I have found this forum to be full of great information and knowledge.

I want to find someone close by who would be willing to show me the ropes before I purchase my own equipment.

Cheers!

B-Rye-oNeR
11-28-2017, 05:59 PM
hi Joel, I'm in Cincinnati if you are close.

PyroChixRock
11-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Hi guys :)

JBaily
12-06-2017, 09:57 PM
hi Joel, I'm in Cincinnati if you are close.

Cinci is about 4 hours away. I may be up for a road trip after the holidays!

Dicktater
12-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Howdy Everyone,

My name is Gregg and I'm not spam:shifty:
I joined this site to get some info about building a flame working station for my Wife as a Christmas Gift (she knows)

I mostly a car guy from the Midwest, Thanks for having me.

Squanchy
01-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Hey my names Kerry and im 30. people know me as squanchy or Dala. I'm new to the glass scene but have really come to enjoy it. I have just setup my own studio in my house (luckily enough) and take every free minute I can to get on the torch and melt some glass! Again I have no clue in the world what im doing. I just watch a LOT of videos, and just try and practice things that are easy enough. ive tried gathering for a marble...a little bit of dots for implosion on the marble... flattening using my marver. uhh....im terrible at stringers but im still getting the pull down. My absolute biggest concern is that I need help on finding out how to use the flame, and flame characteristics..amicrazy? thanks again and its nice to meet ya'll!

open_market
01-09-2018, 11:53 PM
Hi,

My name is Rick. I live in Silicon Valley and plan to take a "marble making" class in early February. My only experience with glass work is in the laboratory, very limited. Excited to get started. If the marble class goes well, I'm hoping to redeploy some of my Acetylene welding equipment. I own a small Paragon kiln I used for knife making and high temperature super conductors. It has a digital controller.

I see a lot of posts suggesting a "good" torch is important to consider. Looking hard at the Bethlehem Bravo. I'm wondering if there is a good supplier of glass in the SF Bay Area?

Great web site. So nice of people to share their knowledge and experience!

- Rick

PyroChixRock
01-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Rick, check the glass phone book section of the forum for a supplier in your area.

Welcome!

open_market
01-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Thanks Misha

Subduction
02-12-2018, 10:25 AM
I've been lurking here a while; I'm not sure if I'm cut out for lampworking. I have a background in machining, I'm a youngish retiree. Currently live south of Seattle but will probably move to western Oregon. Glass lathes appeal to me and I just confirmed shipment of my first torch--the seven inch version of the new Beth Sharp "hand Alpha".
Update: taking a marble class this Saturday in Issaquah, WA.

DevilsDefect
03-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Hey everyone,

Names Aaron. I have been a member here for a long time but dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Had a kid and had to take a long break from glass but I am back and ready to start up again.

Wanted to post in here to see if any of the people I used to chat with here are still kicking around here or not. Haven't really recognized a lot of names but glad to be back.

Loveless
03-08-2018, 06:56 PM
They call me Loveless. My whole life has been surrounded in art, mostly tattooing, and lamp working off and on throughout. One of my favorite bands is Alice in Chains, because Lane knew what he was doing to himself, yet couldn't stop. He poured all his pain into his music. I never understood that, until recently. Now, I will pour my pain into my art, yet keeping a positive feel. Odd I know, but I'm going to be starting my master[piece, a mixed genre multi medium art project. I'm going to get the ball rolling, and watch it snowball. At 34 I finally have what I need to create my artistic vision. I guess this was a little more on the personal side of me, but hey, it works.

-Loveless

marvcat
03-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Cathy M, CT, Web Developer, Taken a few glassblowing classes and now I'm hooked. Trying to learn what I can and about glassblowing and lampwork, so I can keep moving forward. Also new to forums.

Xray007
03-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Doing the intro thing. I’ve been interested in making glass objects for many years and always thought about trying it. So I took an all day and a two hr class at Stone Arch Glass Studio in Minneapolis. Addicted! I’ve been lurking on here for a couple months. Reading, reading and more reading. YouTube has a few good sources of information. Revere Glass has a lot of good tutorials. I’m setting up a spot in the garage in the next couple weeks. Oh yeah!

Riverglass
04-26-2018, 06:47 AM
New member here , work with animals as a day job and melt glass any other time; only 6 months in so lots to learn ; main interests are working boro , fuming and at some point I want to produce my first pipe.

chiefrogen420
06-14-2018, 09:12 PM
Made this at the class i took a month or two ago. Wish I had the cash for another or to go to school. They make that shit to retarded I swear. I'm long beach guy. Been wanting to blow glass for a minute now. But it was sunken in when I walked into Ziggys Smoke Shop. Dudes got some fucking art on their shelves. 92768

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Diodro
06-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Hey Folks, complete newbie here. Figured I'd drop in and say hi.

I'm just starting my journey with glass and the wealth of information as well as passion from the people here is really inspiring. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute on the same level at some point.
Anyway, Looking forward to learning and growing with the rest of ya, have a good one.

-cheers!

CosmicGlider
11-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Hey everyone, thought I would make another post with how long it's been. Originally joined here maybe 10 years ago, this website taught me almost everything I know- my names Dillon and I live in florida, nice to meet you all again

marjstock
07-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Hi, my name is Marjorie, and I am a hobbiest right with lampworking, but am accumulating so much jewelry from it that I am considering starting to sell some. Any advice about getting started with Etsy or EBay?

TCsGlassworks
07-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Hi, my name is Marjorie, and I am a hobbiest right with lampworking, but am accumulating so much jewelry from it that I am considering starting to sell some. Any advice about getting started with Etsy or EBay?

Welcome Marjorie!!!

Tiffany
07-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Hello my name Tiffany and by day I am a Computer Support Specialist with a printing company. I have not started working with glass yet, I am still in the research stage, but getting closer and closer to buying. Wish me luck! :)

kevofalltrades
08-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Hello Kevin here, i apprenticed about 6 years ago but didn't have the space for my own setup Till now! So I'm currently looking for a great deal to get started with making spoons, marbles, pendants ect.. Eventually if love to make sculptures and rigs!

I'm actually a wood, and metal worker. I also own a screen printing company, and I'm a vegan chef! Hence the nickname kevofall trades.

I own a yoyo company and make them all by hand as well as many other things from wood. I'm really excited to get behind the torch to start creating glass art!
Charlotte NC,

B.T.G.P
08-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Dunder 31 south of Erie north of Pittsburgh been on the torch for 2 years wish there was somebody close to work with i have a trash out business an work in a kitchen holla at ya boy if ur near would love to learn more than i break

Paracosm
11-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Beau

Started researching Glass crafting in 1/18.Did not have a setup till 6months later.
Two jobs and other life choirs limits torch time so I’m Still very very new.(aka I suck)

xiaan
01-03-2020, 07:52 AM
I have been involved with working glass since 1998. I owned a company in Everett, Washington called "Everett Glass Casting"(1999). My first experiences seeing flameworking were in Marysville, WA and in Seattle(near Green Lake). I was involved with glasswork at Pratt Fine Arts Center in Seattle. I have been self employed or under contract since I was 9 and flameworking fit right in with my independent spirit. I also could appreciate that THERE IS NO WAY TO PUT A PRICE ON FINE GLASS ART...

xiaan
01-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Make some glass yoyo's !!! Message to KevinofallTrades

xiaan
01-12-2020, 12:19 PM
This Message is to KevinofallTrades [/QUOTE] I own a yoyo company and make them all by hand as well as many other things from wood. I'm really excited to get behind the torch to start creating glass art!
Charlotte NC,[/QUOTE]

Make some glass yoyo's .

Sedgwick73
01-16-2020, 06:20 PM
This Message is to KevinofallTrades I own a yoyo company and make them all by hand as well as many other things from wood. I'm really excited to get behind the torch to start creating glass art!
Charlotte NC,[/QUOTE]

Make some glass yoyo's .[/QUOTE]Its been done in the last couple years for sure.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

harpentuan
01-21-2020, 10:32 AM
yoyo company

sapsaj
01-28-2020, 09:32 PM
Greetings! I'm a newbie, having taken my 1st boro workshop class in August 2019. So far, I've taken a "boro 1" night class, and a weekend "hollow boro workshop". I'm already planning on investing in my own lil workshop in the garage.

Currently, I lay out print ads for a real estate company, and have a 360 virtual tour business (though I'm not a great salesperson), and I'm planning on making a career change.

These are what I'm most proud of at this point:

birdsarentreal
02-24-2020, 05:56 AM
New member to the forum, figured id do the polite thing and introduce my self.

I'm a second generation glass blower thats finnaly saved up enough money to set up my own studio. I have about 3,500-4000 hours on a torch so its about time. I look forward to sharing what ive learned and learning more from everyone here.

(Ps if anyone has an oxycon setup for filling k tanks let me know please)

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

Apcmt1
03-31-2020, 09:22 AM
My name is Avery, im a machinist from the Detroit area looking to get into glass blowing as a hobby. I really want to get into small glass sculptures, maybe about 3x3 inches made of soft or hard glass. There's tons of info on these forums, but if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding what i need to do what i plan on doing i would really appreciate it. Im excited to join the community!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk