PDA

View Full Version : Newbie pics......

wifebeader
09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Everyone!
I am new here...been making soft glass beads for a year....
Took a boro class last month and wow--it's fun and very different. Haven't touched the soft glass since......
I am making marbles and yesterday tried a goblet(well, a mini goblet)!! I know I need tons more practise but man I am having so much fun!!!! Any tips or advice is very welcome!
thanks in advance,
Denise

Brian Newman
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Keep at it, I like what I see.
Only thing I can see as a problem would be acute angles. Glass gets all its strength from its surface tension, and you don't want the break in surface tension that acute angles are.
I had a much slower learning curve, and I am envious.

wifebeader
09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
thanks Brian!

firedanceglass
09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Lookin Good! I love the horse and the rose marble. Keep the pics coming!
~peace~
Melanie

wifebeader
09-23-2005, 04:19 PM
thanks Melanie!
I'll be posting more....this time the fuglies to find out what went wrong :tongue:

Greymatter Glass
09-24-2005, 06:59 AM
wow, no joke... I didn't pick it up that fast...

The rose mib is great. Is that dust on the surface tho, or inside? if it's scuzz/dust insode the marble, get yourself a rag and some glass cleaner... clean the glass before ya torch it, will get rid of the little bubbles and scuzz.

Great horse, the goblet top just needs to be thinner, but otherwise you got the shape and idea down. Try to spin those feet out a little flatter as well. (but that takea a LOT of practice to get them centered)

Anyways, good torchin' keep it up!

-Doug

wifebeader
09-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks Doug!
It's both dust and tiny bubbles in the marble......thanks so much for the tip on cleaning the glass before using it. I looked at my rods and they are dusty!! :o

I am also having trouble figuring out how to remove the "finished" blown shape from the tube.....So far I tried to pull the tube thin and pinch open a hole from one side...next I tried popping a tiny bubble near where I want the rim, then tearing the shape off the tube....... Each time I end up with a lopsided rim.....is there a trick to it or is the trick practise practise practise?

thank you so much!!!
Denise
Geez--spinning tubes and giant rods is waaaay different than spinning mandrels....what a workout! Y'all are amazing--respect!!!!