PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling your Carlisle CC

Greymatter Glass
07-12-2008, 07:10 AM
So I had some interest in how I make my ~$20 water cooler for a CC. My current cooler is pretty banged up after a few moves so I decided to re-build it. rather than just taking pictures I figured I'd hold out till AGI for it. I know a few people attending already contacted me about this, so if anyone else attending wants to watch we'll get together the first day and plan a good time for the demo.

I will be bringing a hand out sheet with materials/tools list. If anyone is interested in buying the materials at AGI and rigging up their own torch let me know so I can bring extra materials. All the items are also available at Trader Horn just up the road a ways from Toms

I'll get someone to take pictures as well for everyone else.

-Doug

somewhere
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I hope it's better then the soft copper coiled around the barrel. I was told it was the quartz workers that first started water cooling the then fin less carlisle's. (originally the CC's didn't have a aluminum heatsink) I guess hydrogen was pushing them to the melting point.

Ok now I'm thinking.......
You can't buy the copper,water hose and pump for 20 bucks so maybe this could be interesting.

mer
07-12-2008, 11:38 AM
what's wrong with the copper coil method? i've seen lots of torches that use them and i've never heard any complaints before. it's not that i use one, i just wonder why you don't seem to respect that approach.

somewhere
07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
No No I think the copper cooler is great and if you look on my GA page you will see I have a few that are ancient.

I guess I was just responding to the greatest and latest from Doug. I think I was disappointed it's one of those you just have to wait to hear about it.

I love AGI and everything about it. I think it's the best place you could possibly debut new tools or ideas I just hate having to wait to hear all the goods. HaHa Really I'm not a hater

jr23
07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Cheapest water cooler on the market. Take CC and Thow it in the lake. Just kidding I love all torches and would Prob like a CC they are just so pricey new that is.

Cosmo
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see it too. My CC doesn't run that hot, but the cooler I can keep it the better.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it to AGI this year...

somewhere
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Here's copper coil

http://www.glassartists.org/Img4793__Img4793_coppercooler_003.jpg.asp

somberbear
07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
every thing is at trader horn!

peace
rob

Greymatter Glass
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah Somewhere, that's pretty much it.

As for price, I should really call it a free-$30 cooler.... I built mine for free from parts from a cool plumber who gave me the materials, and an old pump I had from a long time ago - not exactly free, but close to it.

This time I will buy a roll of copper and figure out the cost per foot. It's under $0.50/foot I know.

There's no secret to it really, but some people don't know hwo to get the heat sink off, or just wouldn't know where to start. Many of us take our technical/mechanical knowledge for granted more often than we're aware of.

-Doug

jojo101
08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
hey thanks for doing this doug- i am going to bring my torch and i am definitely interested in seeing how to do this!