PDA

View Full Version : New Products

chayes
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Over the past two years Matt Mclamb a i have been developing a new tube pull method and are almost ready to release our product to the public. We brought some to agi and were pretty happy with the responses to it. Our first color palette we will be introducing is black and white in several different configurations. The average diameter of this tubing is 22 mm round and 5mm thick.

Within the next couple of weeks we would like to have 10 people, between beginner and professional experience test this product and post their results.

We will also be bringing a new frit tray design to the market which some of you may have seen at agi. These trays are designed to recover frit during use as well as being able to pour your frit back into their containers with no loss. They are heavy duty and can be flipped over to use as a marver.

If you have any questions you can call me at Haze Glass 802-773-6262

Or contact Matt at Catch a fire Glass 802-362-0071

Meerkat
08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Im interested, will you be having a full online catalog and will you ship to Australia ?

garrick
08-25-2008, 04:07 PM
if you are looking for testers i would love to try it out. it looks sweet.

Galaxie Glass
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Way cool ! 5mm thick , shit even i could repull that a couple times !!

Ben Burton Glass
08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
PM sent...

jr23
08-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I will test too! I can pay shipping and post pics of it worked!

bc
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Call you tomorrow. You coming up for the classic?

NOFO
08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
used some of this stuff at AGI, super thick, you could repull for sure !!! Great stuff !!

Mr. Whale dick
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
how did i not see any of this???

chayes
08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Here is a pic of some finished work with these pulls

earlbacher
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
i'd be interested in testing it out...
i'd fall into the beginner category...

Abe Fleishman
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Good job guys I also will test out for you boys. The invention is pimp. Big Upps chris and Matt keep it rockin
Abe

yinzer
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
dude i totally missed it too

Kool
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm way too busy to commit to testing the tubing right now, but I am very interested in seeing the frit trays...my wife and I had some ideas for one like you describe, but aren't interested in trying to make them to sell, so I'd love to see some photos...if I like it, I'd buy one or two, maybe more.

mindblowingglass
08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
pm sent
Looks real nice chris

bc
08-26-2008, 03:38 AM
ps wash your hands you dirty bastard. You make the pipe?

I'm gonna need clear soon.

Dirty
08-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah i agree with hasselnut, I was right next to you and didn't even catch that one. I would love to see whats up. I remember you guys selling some murini but i don't remember tube pulls. Please pm me or call me, you guys have my card. If not i talk to you guys soon when I get the vin pin, just to let matt know. thanks

themoch
08-26-2008, 07:35 AM
i saw the product but not the method/tool.

looked good to me...

LoneWolfandSon
08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
pm sent.

michaelangeloglass
08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
That's really kewl.... you guys should make some 50/50's

I will stick to making my own, but I have thought about just selling the tube pulls before, nice to see someone making really nice tubes for sale.

Cosmo
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Sent you a PM as well...

chayes
08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
the testers so far will be
1 Ben Burton Glass
2 Jr 23
3 Lava Flow
4 N3rD
5 Cupcake
6 Citizen Not
7 Cosmo
8Anubius
9 Dbdom
10 Mindblowing Glass

The frit trays are in the works. We are hoping to shortly have the first run made.
When all is said and done there will be three sizes s-m-l and a model for lathe use. Our first run will be the large frit trays.

Cosmo
08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I use a ton of frit, so that's something that I'd definitely be interested in as well...

Kool
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
...The frit trays are in the works. We are hoping to shortly have the first run made.
When all is said and done there will be three sizes s-m-l and a model for lathe use. Our first run will be the large frit trays.

Nice. We must be thinking along the same lines, because my wife and I were also talking about needing something for a lathe (we're trying to buy a lathe before next summer). We were picturing something that you could raise and lower.

Anyway, definitely hit me up on all your tray designs once you get that going.

jiminyrootkit
08-26-2008, 11:41 AM
i'd love to test some of that out, if you're still lookin for more.
-f

n3rd
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
awesome!! can't wait to check this out. also very eager to see the frit trays.

Frankie Hess
08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd twist some of that, if you're still lookin for testers also. Never posted any pics of anything I've done, would make a good opportunity for that.

lava flow
08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
thanks chayes, I just made a pull myself today, I'm eager to see how yours compare!
is the inner wall clear or color?

Bglass
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
nice!!!!
glad someone else is attempting to make tubes other than bangkok and china ones that i see a lot of!!! strobel has nice tubing too!

im interested to see where this market takes us and the community?they look nice.
whats the method, or did you actually make a system to pull these off, just wondering?

they look like they are tubes made by hand chucked up sleeved and pulled on the lathe?
anyways nice, and whats the price per pound? or are you selling it by the length?
the last stuff i tried out from other sources wasnt worth the money for what i could pull out myself or pay someone in the time.
i got about 20 pounds last time i bought pre pulled tubing, the time saved on production is very pleasing to say the least. just pulling off sections and making peices!!.... so im interested to see if this would be an advantage on my production, i pay someone to make tubes for me, so maybe this would be good?

chayes
08-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I consider this stuff actual tubing when you look down the profile of the tube its very consistent. The inner diameter is the same throughout the length. The lines are all equal diameters and straight down the tube. We try to maintain a 22mm diameter. Also the colors maintain their integrity by being curved and keeping the color saturation at its highest. The process we use maintains stability and gives the inside out look. We're confident that the standards of our tubes are of the highest quality.

All tubing is made with first quality rods and Schott clear. We have tried other clears and have found Schott has the best optics and workability.

Dallaslampworking
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Very cool, Im just getting in to pulling my own tube. I would be interested in testing some out or even buying a tube or two just to check it out. We also have a live shop cam I do demos on sometimes so mabye I could do some of your tube on der. Check it out, myspace/dallaslampworking, or search ustream.com.

steve

jjglass
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
If you need a noob, I would love to try it!

chayes
08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok about pricing we have not got a set price. Colors cost alot and vary in prices from company to company. We want to be fair about it to the customers as well as us. If your looking for cheaply made tube pulls plenty of places sell em. If your looking for quality then we''ll have it.

jr23
08-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks alot I look forward to working a piece with some of this test stock. I am going to plan it out and while I wait on samples and make a few nice fume mibs for accent. I love to test as it really lights a fire under me to get it done! Soon as sample comes I will clear set up and work the plan!

chayes
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Just curious why this was moved to the classifieds. We are tyring to introduce a new product and are not selling this as of now. We are sending samples to people and would like feedback. I feel this should be on the front page that is why i posted it there so people get a chance to hear about this.I feel more people will get to know about this by it being on the front where everyone goes. Not everyone goes to the classifieds. When its ready for sale i will post it in the classifieds.

jr23
08-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I was just thinking same thought you don't even have a set price how is it a classified, it will only cause peeps to mis or try to buy before your ready which always gives the impression why is it in classifieds if not for sale!?

Dom
08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Just sent my addy Chris, when do you expect to start sending this out?

VinE
08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Ide like to get some samples of the black and white.

BombDiggity
08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
If you have any xtra to spare, i'd also like to give it a whirl.....

chayes
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Dbom I'm gonna try getting em out on monday.
Each person will get a different pattern or color combo.
For anyone else listed as a tester pm me your adress.

Vinne give me a call i need a couple of vin pins

mer
08-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Just curious why this was moved to the classifieds. We are tyring to introduce a new product and are not selling this as of now. We are sending samples to people and would like feedback. I feel this should be on the front page that is why i posted it there so people get a chance to hear about this.I feel more people will get to know about this by it being on the front where everyone goes. Not everyone goes to the classifieds. When its ready for sale i will post it in the classifieds.

this is promotion for a product that you intend to sell and as such is an advertisement. if we let you promote your product in the main discussion area then we have to let everybody do it. if you wish to discuss this further please communicate with any member of our staff in private as per the terms of service that you agreed to when you joined the forum.

the glassified section is very well read, plenty of people are going to see it here. the tubing looks great, i'm sure you'll do very well with it.

chayes
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Why didn't you mention that when you were on the phone? I'm not quite sure what to think of that 45 second conversation.

mer
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
i'm not sure why you're trying to make this a public issue. i didn't even notice that it was on the main board until after we talked because i log in through the "new posts" link so i sometimes don't instantly notice the sub forum within something is placed.

as for our conversation, i'm sorry i couldn't chat longer. i handle my mod duties on my breaks and i was in the middle of working. i hope i didn't seem impolite, i was just in business mode.

if you wish to discuss this further please contact me privately as i suggested before. i'm not really into handling this in a confrontational manner.

chayes
08-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just wondering.

dudleybivens
08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
didn't notice this til it was in the glassifieds, but i'd be interested in pricing

bc
08-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Chris, don't take it personal, Mer just gets off on moderating an being all official.

Should I have pm'd Chris that? I can't recall what it said in the rules when I joined. :D

mer
08-27-2008, 09:51 AM
fuck.

i can't say that shit doesn't hurt. i spend a *ton* of time here as a volunteer helping people. in the rare case when i can't let one of you have your way should i really have to deal with this kind of drama? you honestly think i enjoy getting treated like a fucking nazi. both of you guys have been here a long time. it's hard to imagine that i haven't gone out of my way to help each of you at some point in the past couple years, i help anybody/everybody that i can. if an outsider came here and laid this same level of bullshit on either of you do you think that i wouldn't go to bat for you?

in another mood, with more sleep and a less hectic schedule i'd probably be able to tell you to fuck off and walk away. right now the shit just hurts, i'm sure that's probably pretty satisfying for you.

bc
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Mer, just busting a lil balls, guess you gotta meet me. No harm man, we know your decatcated to the board. You need a hug?

Uscalus Storm
08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
I kno...Hugs all around... shizzle. And cut the :poke: Mermonkey u know ur loved >.>

Primathon
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Chris, don't take it personal, Mer just gets off on moderating an being all official.

Should I have pm'd Chris that? I can't recall what it said in the rules when I joined. :D

Dude, that's really not cool. Mer does an *insane* amount of work around here to keep things running smoothly, and reading stuff like this just seems like you're spitting in his face. As far as I can see, he's been nothing but polite at every step of the way. We're all volunteers, here -- nobody gets paid for this -- so when I see you criticizing him for doing his job, it's really disheartening.

Mer, just busting a lil balls, guess you gotta meet me. No harm man, we know your decatcated to the board. You need a hug?

I was going to suggest an apology, but then I read the above... I dunno, if it was me, I'd probably write something a bit more heartfelt than this... Granted, I don't know you (or your sense of humor), but that "need a hug" bit at the end seems more condescending than necessary.

brettodie
08-27-2008, 11:17 AM
time is money...... as mods we contribute alot of time to this forum helping out as much as we can,keeping things running as smooth as possible. any of us mods would have moved the thread if we had noticed it was in the wrong section. thats why we have a advertising/products section. we read and filter threw hundreds of posts a day we're not gonna catch everything right away.

as far as the phone call goes as a buisness you have to learn the customer is always right. just cause someones in a hurry is no reason to get bent or flustered.

your product looks nice id be more then willing to try a sample of it. having a ball park figure would tell you if people are even interested before you make and send out a bunch of samples. just a thought. once again time is money thats where your product will fit in if priced right. if it saves me enough time in relation to the cost you present you'll have lots of customers,including me. good luck with your endevor. peace brett

nineteen73glass
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
if you are still needing testing done at all I have 3 of us in my shop and I am the newbie in the group have picked up alot fast and we would be interested in helping whatever you need

jethro
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure all the testers are chosen so what would it cost me for a sample to try out?

Eric S
08-28-2008, 10:39 AM
i feel like i could get blacklisted for even posting in this thread lol... but anyways, i'm curious, where's the line? color company reps and owners put up threads in other forums, displaying new products, getting testers, talking about when it will be available for sale, etc. how is that any different than this? sometimes they dont even get testers or talk about its workability, they just show pics and generate hype for sales...

NOFO
08-28-2008, 10:45 AM
just my 2 cents, I agree with bigskyglass

Kool
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
i feel like i could get blacklisted for even posting in this thread lol... but anyways, i'm curious, where's the line? color company reps and owners put up threads in other forums, displaying new products, getting testers, talking about when it will be available for sale, etc. how is that any different than this? sometimes they dont even get testers or talk about its workability, they just show pics and generate hype for sales...

This is different than the example you site for two reasons. One, this is something on this forum, not another forum, so what is done on another forum really doesn't apply to what the good people that run the show here have found to work well for them.

Secondly, I don't see what all the fuss is about, but the only issue was that the thread was moved from the main room to the Glassified section. I have seen this done in the past. The people that run this place have decided that products that are for sale or will be for sale should not be in the main room.

As far as this forum goes, you will find that the types of threads you are talking about are placed in the appropriate areas, such as the Glassifieds or the Glass Color Talk room or whatever. If they are essentially advertising a product, they aren't in the main room. That rule applies to everyone as far as I can tell...I haven't seen any preferential treatment where one vendor is allowed to do this and another isn't. Also, I believe that if there was a free-for-all and everyone selling or preparing to sell a product was permitted to post it up in the main room, most of us wouldn't like the results.

Finally, I find it in poor taste to question the people that put so much time and work into this place without pay, especially over something that is (to me) so trivial. The benefits that countless people receive from their efforts are beyond what I can even begin to express. I'm not targeting you , BigSky, or anyone else, it's just an overall feel that popped up in this thread that I don't like.

Now, back to the product at hand. I'd love to see and hear some more results with the tubing and can't wait to see the frit trays. It's always good to see someone else stepping up and filling in gaps in our market with new products. Good luck, I think you guys are going to do well with it.

glassdocnc
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't care where the thread is. I'm just glad it's on this site somewhere. Thanks to the mods who try to maintain order.

But please post pics of the testers creations from the tubing and tray pics when possible.

Who knows, maybe all the thread traffic will generate more future sales.

mer
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
i think this is a good enough time to explain why we want to discuss the staff's decisions or debate the rules in private only;

from the terms of service;
12. Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members and moderators or policy involved.

at this point over a third of this thread is dedicated to a discussion that is of no use to chris in his efforts to sell his tubing. i haven't cleaned it up because chris brought the subject up himself but this kind of debate can't be helping in his efforts to promote a new product.

chris, if you'd like a staff member to clean this up or you'd like to start again fresh just let any of us know. your choice. if anybody else would like to discuss our terms of service or the actions of our staff please have some respect contact us privately. we're happy to help.

to those of you who have expressed your support for the staff either publicly or in private, we thank you.

Mr. Wonka
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
This is a much better forum for a thread like this. On the main page, it will get pushed down so quick with all of the non glass related posts.

As far as moderation is concerned, we try to keep things somewhat organized around here which, in this case, benefits buyers and sellers alike.

Tom

chayes
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I appreciate the hard work that the moderaters do to keep the board running smoothly.

I'm not trying to cause waves. I don't care that this thread is moved just how it was moved. We did not make this tubing originally to sell. We make it for ourselves. We feel that the quality is very high and people may want it.

As far as testers go we have reached the limit. But if we have good response to this we have other things in the works that will need testing.

As i have stated this is not for sale as of yet. We are giving about 6 feet of 22x5 tubing away.Thats pretty costly to us considering we're just two glassblowers who have to buy the materials and make this tubing. We as of yet are not trying to sell this. We are only interested in giving away glass for the benifit of feed back.

If we do release this there will be firsts,seconds, and odds. And possibly blanks attached to 50mm tubing for those who have the means to pull down 3-7 pounds of 15- 20mm thick tubing.

Galaxie Glass
08-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I get wet just thinkin of pulling 3-7 #'s of some thick ass tubing

chayes
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Ha
I usually eat my wheaties first before pulling em down.

chayes
08-28-2008, 04:53 PM
For anyone who has been selected as a tester please pm me your addy so i can get the samples out monday. And Again if anyone has any questions please feel free to call me 802-773-6262 I'm more than happy to talk to people and discuss how these work.

Chris Carlson
08-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I appreciate the hard work that the moderaters do to keep the board running smoothly.

I'm not trying to cause waves. I don't care that this thread is moved just how it was moved. We did not make this tubing originally to sell. We make it for ourselves. We feel that the quality is very high and people may want it.

As far as testers go we have reached the limit. But if we have good response to this we have other things in the works that will need testing.

As i have stated this is not for sale as of yet. We are giving about 6 feet of 22x5 tubing away.Thats pretty costly to us considering we're just two glassblowers who have to buy the materials and make this tubing. We as of yet are not trying to sell this. We are only interested in giving away glass for the benifit of feed back.

If we do release this there will be firsts,seconds, and odds. And possibly blanks attached to 50mm tubing for those who have the means to pull down 3-7 pounds of 15- 20mm thick tubing.

why would you need TESTERS to test out your own product if you dont intend to sell it? why not spin it up and make your own decision? do you really need a whole bunch of newbs telling you you make good tubing, if you really didnt intend to sell it?

i think you are being misleading or just lying now.. it seems the only purpose is to gain exposure, get people to dig it...

no stuggling glassblower i know just gives away tubing to hear feedback...

you gotta admit that your intention with this is to sell and make money, not to do a great service to all the people who cant pull there own tube..

i know i wouldnt give my tubing away... i need it to make stuff..

chayes
09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
why would you need TESTERS to test out your own product if you dont intend to sell it? why not spin it up and make your own decision? do you really need a whole bunch of newbs telling you you make good tubing, if you really didnt intend to sell it?

Like i said at the current time we are not selling it. we need testers to see if this is something people want. I do spin it up maybe others want to also. I believe if people newbs or what not say its good for them, then it is feasible to believe that there may be a demand for it.

i think you are being misleading or just lying now.. it seems the only purpose is to gain exposure, get people to dig it...

What am i lying about? Do you do stuff for exposure?

no stuggling glassblower i know just gives away tubing to hear feedback...

Who said i was struggling. I work hard every day. I pay my bills and i'm happy to wake up everyday and to know i can still blow glass.

you gotta admit that your intention with this is to sell and make money, not to do a great service to all the people who cant pull there own tube..

Everyone has to get paid for what they do. I think this would be a great service to those who can't pull their own tube and for those who can.
Straight up time is money. If its more cost effective to buy a pound of tubing verses making it then people can spend more time creating instead of prepping.

i know i wouldnt give my tubing away... i need it to make stuff..

Yeah i need to make stuff also. Like tubing.

Granger's Glass
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
He is putting his product out to show people. Acme sent out free samples/tester rods awhile back and everyone was cool with it. Why so much hostility?

jr23
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey just thought I might add that I have been practiceing my multi section pieces due to the fact that I am a tester. I worked on the torch for a few hrs yesterday just so I would be practiced up for my sample. I made my first sax Sherlock And it turned out nice. Had I not been on tester list I may have waited tell I had more time! Point being all the ruckess about this I just wanted to say sorry to any mods that are having any headaches about this no mater how small or big! That being said I have a phantom and if this tubing happens to help me out good. And if a fellow lampworker gets paid Good. If a few feathers get ruffled along the way, Well its not so good but , nobody said pleasing every one was easy. But these folks are trying to do something positive so lets give it a fair shot! I am sure that if peeps see that trying something new gets all this negativity before it hits the door they might say why bother and not do it.

chayes
09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure but i have a good idea why.

There are a few testers who have not pmed me there addy. So if you haven't please do so i can get the samples out.

Chris Carlson
09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
making your own tubing seperates the men from the boys....

i'm sure thats my biggest problem with it...

there has been tubing available from vinE for years now....i though that was lame too, and not surprised at all that it didnt sell...

truly, best of luck...

from my perspective, not that its right, but even in the middle of teaching my girl to lampwork, i think she should be able to make her own tubing if she wants to make lined work...

its all subjective..i use clear made into tubes, maybe thats cheating too..

we're just opposites, when i make tubing, i have such a hard time choosing what i'm gonna make with it out of the million options running through my head,while i'm makin something then i think of more stuff i want to make with it, and have a hard time even using for what i'm making...or if i have to make spoons, i'm so pissed cuz i could make something way more creative with this piece of tubing...

i'm of the mindframe that you gotta earn your stripes...pun intended...

nothing personal...chris.

added:: i can understabd why someone like ben burton in hawaii could use them where oxy price is through the roof..and some beginners to have some fun, try it out...but i dont see any consistancy...

i also naysayed dogboys stencil project, and styles 1's torch life project... i guess i am for the creating side of glass,making something new, offering it to the world, not the selling of prep, for those too lazy,broke, or unskilled...

sometimes i forget this is a business...

jr23
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I do agree making your own tubing separates men from boys and girls from women. I think I wont be able to say I totaly made the piece myself. but like at least 85 persent of lampworkers use china tube or somthing mass produced hell you can take that attitude all the way to make your own color. Not trying to disrespect you with that comment but were the line is drawn is up to every one's own opinion . You just don't want any one but yourself to pull your tube, but I bet you had a stringer or two pulled for ya! bye a lucky apprentice or fellow blower on a colab.

chayes
09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm not saying that anyone should stop making their own tubing or buy the stuff we make.

I used to hand mix my colors from oxides i bought from a ceramic store. Yeah it was alot cheaper to mix my own. But then i realized i should be buying the premade color which costs more but saved me the time mixing it by hand. and also the variety that is commercially available couldn't be beat. So should everyone be making their own colors from scratch? I say Probably not unless ya wanna say you do. I personally don't see much difference between buying color rods premade verses line tubing premade.

Chris Carlson
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
i am also very stubborn, now that black chinese tubing is so ready available, i'm starting to hate black, although i make my black from northstar jet black, the most common question i get is "is that chinese".
.i'm just about done using any solid black sections because so many people can get that without the work and skill it takes to make nice solid color tubing... whenever its available to the masses, its not cool anymore, in my book...

just like cobalt...cobalt used to be awesome...now its stictly prodo.

when anybody can do, its not special anymore.. not that i thought anything lasts forever..

and i dont think this is gonna be some revolution, nor do i really care that much, but i wanted to add the perspective from someone who can make tubing and takes huge pride in making it nice...

and of course, seeing that B&W in different configurations is what you plan to offer first, definitely got me interested...

Eric S
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
didnt you get the memo? CC is the only one who can make and use b&w tube. if you go selling it to all the newbies he wont stand out.

but seriously everybody has good points here. you should at least understand how to make your own tube to know what you're using when you spin it. on the other hand, if you get tired of making like 5 stacks every week, maybe you've done your time and can get on to pure creation of finished pieces and skip some prep time. is this any different than people who have apprentices or workers that pull their tube for them? or spin their spirals? what about prepping blanks and stringers and blowpipes? i guess we should all start with sand.

Chris Carlson
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
hahaha, anybody can make black and white..

and maybe now, even buy it!!

this is too funny, gotta go..

i like making my own stuff, never had an apprentice...

peace. chris.

chayes
09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I take great pride in the tubing we make. We both do. I'm sorry if the b&w bothers you if it does. But i'm sure you know that it is a great color combo and one only has to buy two colors to make it.

jr23
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
me either ! its just at little more than some could handle! But some one with the skill a minor and a kiln could very well create somthing that normaly would take a larger set up.

Arik
09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
It looks good, I would like to give it an independant review if you would sell me a few samples. I consider my techniques to be the greatest environment to give a proper test of most materials. I would be willing to buy a nice sample pack of a variety of the colors available and give you an opportunity for an honest outside opinion....as well as a possibility sink a good account.

chayes
09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
We've been crunching numbers and are almost at a solid price point if we are to be selling it. The feed back we get from the testers will ultimately be a huge factor in whether we plan on making this for resale, and whether we will be busting out the other stuff we got in the works for testing.

Arik if your ak i really dig the work you've been doing for years and would hold your opinion of this with high regard. But lets wait on the testers and hear what they have to say i believe there is a good variety of people from hobbyist to professional level in the mix.

Arik
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I constantly have students flowing through my reality looking for the real inside info on what products are worthy and how they bear their value at market. I personally have done the math on very similar product, and teach this math to students so that they may do startup biz pulling tubing. Sometimes it is important to get the feedback of those who are responsible for helping create market price like myself.....and it is also very likely there are pointers I could offer as a professional consultant in this very market your forging into...commercially speaking. When your ready to ship it out to crafters other than your friends let me know....

VinE
09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
making your own tubing seperates the men from the boys....

i'm sure thats my biggest problem with it...

there has been tubing available from vinE for years now....i though that was lame too, and not surprised at all that it didnt sell...

I agree with you Chris, making your own tubing does seperate the men from the boys (allthough I would have said it a little less chauvinisticly). I priced my tubing high (to keep the noobs at bay), and mostly used it to justify/illustrate the price of my stick stack kit:
http://www.glassartists.org/Mit89_STICK_STACK_KIT.asp
Most of the people that bought the tubing were noobs (with more $$$ than talent) who could'nt pull off a reversal, or shape good enough to make buying more worth their wild. Allthough I can't speak for his business, I don't think this is the market that Chayes is shooting for. -And if it is who cares as long as he keeps the price high enough?

If you use colored tubing that you bought from someone else it IS lame in the sense that it was'nt entirely your work, but where would do YOU draw the line?
I might be mistaken, but I thought you told me that the cane on that humongous bub you brought to the Seattle show was pulled in Marcels shop with a glory hole???
So whats the diff. between that and someone who wouldn't otherwise be able to pull it off themselves (because of their setup or material costs) using hand made tubing that takes a lathe/large torch to make? I may be out of line, but, it seems like you are making an assumption of what the tubing will be used for and by whom.
Im looking at scaling down my shop dramtically in the next few months and considering that shipping is ridiculous, and o2 is damn near $70 a tank here, some hand pulled tubing made by someone else is looking like a good option.

Buying your prep work from other people is lame, but it never stopped Chihouly and other designers from making a name for themselves. Its also lame that chinese colored tubing and imports are sucking our money away. So why not create some new domestic markets???

Time is more valuable than materials now. 10 years ago it was a different story.
I think if people that had a market for nice work could save some time/ and or get more creative, by buying colored tubing from other domestic suppliers that would create some opportunites for people that don't have them.

Outside of some paranoid jealousy scenario where unscrupulous noobs are making it big off of colored tubing spoons I couldn't think of a good reason not to get behind this.

colonel4bin
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
wow, this thread actually turned into a worthy conversation, I am with Carlson on some points that learning how to make your own tubing and refining your techniques are very important as an artist and not doing so will hurt you in the end, but there is also a bottom line in any business especially with the rising cost of production in some parts of the country. I always took pride in making my own tubing but no way can I afford to produce my own cobalt tubing when I can buy it for less than $5 a pound.

Just because someone can buy b&w tubing doesn't mean they can make a quality/creative piece like carlson and in the end will only push him to step up his game in a positive way. Prep is what it is and doesn't ensure a quality end result.......this is a bad thread turned good, really got me thinking!!!

Chris Carlson
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
quoted from vinny

If you use colored tubing that you bought from someone else it IS lame in the sense that it was'nt entirely your work, but where would do YOU draw the line?
I might be mistaken, but I thought you told me that the cane on that humongous bub you brought to the Seattle show was pulled in Marcels shop with a glory hole???
end of quote by vinny..

nope, mistaken... i pulled tubing,striped over 38 sleeved into 50x5 and did reversals for a week, on my delta.

noone is right, noone is wrong, its all subjective...

i'm all for it, but i think it hurts learners rather than help them... if they just worked on their shaping with clear, or fume, by the time they could handle spinning up balls,stacking sections, or even pulling tube cane, they'd have the skills...

if i would have looked at chayes post history before i posted, i would have realized that making prep such as millies and stuff has been your schtick and i would've left it alone...my bad....

also,jr23 i'm proud to not be in 85% that uses mass produced tube...and if you read my earlier post, you'll see the mention of understanding that i used pre made clear tubing...also, you dont need striped tubing to motivate yourself to make a sherlock, just use clear, or frit, or fume and make dozens, you'll have em down before the tubing arrives...have fun,rage,learn, grow...this site is an amazing resource.... sorry if i put a rain cloud in y'alls party...

chayes
09-01-2008, 11:49 PM
i would have realized that making prep such as millies and stuff has been your schtick and i would've left it alone...my bad....

I make milli as a hobby. Thats all. If people dig em and want em thats cool. I just really enjoy making em. So no making milli is not my schtick. Its Just another thing i do.

bc
09-02-2008, 04:44 AM
I believe he meant schtik as your thing.

jr23
09-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I hope as I grow in this medium I dont get that anti-newb attitude that seeps out of some of these post you know who you are.

gypsea
09-02-2008, 05:17 AM
hey chayes, are you the same chris (aka nicholas cage) from agi who made the cool rose cane?

Chris Carlson
09-02-2008, 05:34 AM
chayes, i meant no insult, i only meant, you like making huge prep, or big bundles of prep... i meant schtik, as, something you like to do...

in absolutely no way, am i anti newb. i give free demonstrations at almost every event i attend, and answer a crazy amount of technical questions, all in hopes of just giving back some of what i got as a newb... which wasnt too long ago... chris

chayes
09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
yup gypsea thats me.

Chris no offense taken.

FredLight
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Chayes,
I really enjoyed those millis i bought from you, thanks!

C Carlson,
I really enjoyed all the cool techs you shared freely, and all the times you let me come hang out and learn.Thanks!

Looks like you both have been misunderstood here.

chayes
09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks Fred.

Looks like you both have been misunderstood here.

Thats the beauty of the internet. We write things that would come off differently than if it were a normal speaking conversation where things are not taken outta context and not viewed in ways other than intended.

mer
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
word.

chayes
09-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Here are the samples that are going out. And as a bonus for us not getting em out in time we are including a extra piece of our most recent pull, also it will show the difference in sizes possible. Make sure to count the lines in it when you get it cause that's how many we're aiming for.

jr23
09-03-2008, 03:13 AM
I was refering 2 a vin -e coment that he priced his tubes high to keep the newbs at bay. I think if you can sell your product at a lower price and your only reason is that or to justifiy price of another product seems like a way to lose sale's. Plus a product should be priced on cost+time+profit= Price . And as we all know with glass they tax a hefty bit due to demand!

chayes
09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
We have been crunching the numbers and feel that we are going to be able to sell this at a fair price to the blowers and be able to make what we feel is fair for us to do it.

chayes
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
The countdown has begun. I can't wait to see what you all make with the samples. I feel confident enough that your gonna like this stuff i placed the first order of b&w colors and when they arrive we're gonna go with the first run. As of now 80 dollars a pound is what we're looking at for standard color pricing. The more expensive colors will cost a little extra. Ex Tag blizzards, Dichro Ect.

Cosmo
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Got my samples today. Let me just say this.... I'm not making my own tube pulls any more!

I got one of the smaller red/white/black tubes, and one of the larger black/white tubes. The are very straight and very consistent in wall thickness. Don't have my calipers, but I'm planning on measuring them tonight before I make some pieces with them. They are VERY thick, though, so they should go a long ways.

A full review will be on my upcoming podcast coming out next month, along with pics of the raw pieces and finished pieces.

jr23
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
i am going to check the mail right now !

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
got mine today, gonna try and get to them tonight. small red,black,white. and a rasta tube about 7 inches long, almost 10 mil thick. weighs a 1/4 pound. what green did you use in the rasta chris?

chayes
09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Cosmo thanks for the good words. I'm glad that you like the quality. That is what we've been working so hard to achieve.

Also testers please look down the profile of the tube and check the consistency of the colors.Are they all the same size? Does the internal diameter of the tube look consistent?

I can't wait to see what people are making with their samples. Again thanks I really appreciate the feedback.

chayes
09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Jeff I believe it was clover. We have used pretty much every green from ns and ga with success.

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 03:06 PM
how thin or thick do you personally work it chris? looks like i can pull that tube along ways

chayes
09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
You can work it as is or stretch it down super thin. I guess it all depends what you wanna make. A little goes a long way. I've pulled points off of it that retained their color.

Cosmo
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Can you tell me what black and white you used? I'm assuming Onyx for the black, but not sure about the white...

chayes
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
In those pulls it was alchemy white. but in the black white and red one we threw in a stick of Parramore white. Guess which one it is?

Dom
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Got mine today too, and Im very impressed.

Mondo thick and very even and consistent.

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Just made a fifty dollar piece in about 15 min. tried to get a pic before i put it in the kiln but my camera had no batteries in it. i twisted up the small section you sent (black,red,white) coiled up a stick of jet black and capped it. the small section worked like butter and very consistent. well back to work

Hefe
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
i need to make my own..too many colors to try, and too little time.
thats one of my major things that makes it so i always have orders. I am able to do any color scheme that is requested (unless i think it will be too hideous, then i suggest a few changes)

Hefe
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
also, what do we do if we find a bubble in it.. what about how easy it spins up, is the dark side so damn stiff that it doesn blow out well? I seriously doubt someone elses tubes would satisfy my requirements.

you said you put one stick of paramore in with the bw tube of alchemy white? in my experience, they would look quite different in a tube pull.

are these stickstacks or encasements?

it takes 10 min to pull down a big stickstack that will make 2-3 large pieces. i dont undertsand the benefit

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
also, what do we do if we find a bubble in it.. what about how easy it spins up, is the dark side so damn stiff that it doesn blow out well? I seriously doubt someone elses tubes would satisfy my requirements.

can you make a tube pull without "a" bubble in it?

you said you put one stick of paramore in with the bw tube of alchemy white? in my experience, they would look quite different in a tube pull.

Black,red,white, multiply sticks of white only one was parramore. i'll look for it tomorrow when i pull the piece out of the kiln. but i don't really care

are these stickstacks or encasements?

both

it takes 10 min to pull down a big stickstack that will make 2-3 large pieces. i dont undertsand the benefit

10 mins to heat and pull a stickstack after you put it in the flame yes but what about the time you spend scoring and stapping (and measuring) every piece of color, pulling points...etc...or how ever you do it?

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
damn i guess i never used the quote button before:chilling:

Hefe
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
my last posts were really negative, sorry for being such a hater..but i just dont understand it.

and yes, definitely less than 15 minutes for the whole deal.
no points are pulled. the prep involves cutting colors up(no measuring)..or using borostix, and no cutting. then for the sleeve, i take a tube of 50-3.5 and score and stress crack sections about 5-7 inches off..do it all at once, so there is no prep for each stickstack. the only prep is taking a 10mil rod and makin a little cup to tag the color sticks to.

Dom
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
You are right Hef, but I gotta say this tubing is way better than anything I can pull off right now, especially with the phantom. I really miss the mirage I need to get another one.

Chubbles
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Glassantics- You should post a video. I really enjoyed the other ones you threw up on youtube. Of coarse if you don't want to I understand.

CitizenNot
09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
well thats great for borosticks but they only got one color that's worth a damn. and i don't see anyone else making quality american made tubing with american made color. Hey chris I'd be down to order some full color tubing if you're down to make it. i got a long list of colors that i'd like to see and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

1. jet black (or any black)
2. all GA crayon colors
3. indigo adventurine
4. white (maybe)
5. lochness
6. plumkush (unless abe wants to pull more tubes of it)
7. like to see a sample of various striking color pulled?)
8. twlight,berrybumbolt,nebula
9. elvis
10. lots and lots and lots of black!!!

i could go on but i gotta sleep!

chayes
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
We definitely will be doing solid color tubes and custom tubes.

Hefe
09-09-2008, 06:51 AM
citizen, alot of borostix colors are great! you should look at my past post about them. also, even using ga or NS, takes less than 15 min for sure!

chayes
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.filecabi.net/video/5238686751.html

yinzer
09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
blech....borostix

chayes
09-09-2008, 09:13 AM
We have no plans to do borostix tubing.

jr23
09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Keeping in the Review state of mind. Good clean thick well thought out and planned tube sample pics of tube being worked and after shots comming with in 7-10 days thats good for me. Sorry to get off subject do easy in this thread.
Thanks for a sample Chayes.

chayes
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
2004 called and wants its techniques back.

Lambs Bread
09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Finally….. I just got internet back. ....Im matt mclamb for those who dont know me {which is many}........ I want to say thanks to everyone for all your responses we appreciate all the comments. Sorry I havnt had internet in a while [ just moved ] and havnt been able to reply to the responses that my partner have…thanks again chris………anyways here are some pictures of what ive made using these tube pulls………

chris will post my pics

Lambs Bread
09-10-2008, 03:51 AM
ill have them up asap

Hefe
09-10-2008, 06:42 AM
well, if i was selling my tubing , i wouldnt do borostix either.

the fact is...borostix fill out the color wheel so much better than just GA or NS alone.

http://www.glasspipes.org/Gal31472_space_squat.asp

i have more pics, but im not gonna post hem in your thread.

the work speaks for itself..the colors work fine

but their light blues are awesome..their white, the pink is decent, the purples are great, the light greens aer sick...basically...its ALL good, if you know how to use it.

Lambs Bread
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
whos using boro stix not us.........also boro sticks rock.... and why u might not think so alot of people know how to work them..just like parramore not to aggressivly. gun mounts work around the same because the colorint is pressed a lil harder to maintain color but really creamy

Lambs Bread
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
these photos should work by the way about 90 percent of these were made with what we would concider second or odd quality.

chayes
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
We just received a big box of black and white colors today. Tonight we will getting this going. We hope by next week to have this product available for sale.

Attention testers. We would like to know if you have all received your samples. And if so we would really appreciate feedback. I sent out all the samples on the same day all in all 12 people should be receiving this. If you haven't received your sample please let me know.

CitizenNot
09-11-2008, 02:51 PM
received mine....i've only made one piece so far, when i get a chance i'll post a pic.

Eric S
09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
about how long is 1 lb of tubing? do you cut pieces down to an lb or make them a bit over, or cut random lenghts and charge the $ amount by weight?

chayes
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM
A pound of tubing is about 4 feet. We will probably be cutting it down to 6 and 12 inch lengths for shipping. Which will also add to the variety that can be purchased. So we will probably be going by the weight of the pieces.

chayes
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Out of curiosity we ran a test on borostix tonight, aside from the white being incompatible all the other colors we tried held up sweet. I'm impressed how the purple stayed purple. I'm gonna spin some up tonight and see how the colors hold up after being worked.

ben walsh
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
i haven't read this whole thread but if i could humbly add: sickest tube pulls on the globe, thanks for the lathe i'll talk to ya soon chris.peace, ben

Dom
09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
aside from the white being incompatible

Can you elaborate on this? You guys make this tube by striping color on clear then encasing?

I took some advice from people who use a ton of borostix(AK and Hef) and I get much better results. White borostix defenitely need to be cleaned before use.

chayes
09-13-2008, 12:09 AM
All i can elaborate on is that some were borostix sold about 4 years ago and two were purchased a year ago and were square like white dwarf. The square ones spider webbed down the whole tube. The old ones did not crack.

chayes
09-13-2008, 05:37 AM
8:33 am testing finished. Worked like butter. I will try to get pics after i wake up. I used about a pound of tubing.

jr23
09-13-2008, 05:48 AM
I was thinking the sample I got looked so good I should make a nice piece and take the return and re invest in a full stick of your tube. It will be possible to get lets say 1/2 pound of black and white and a half pound of some other color combo. I just think the Quality is high and it looks nice so why not re-invest since you were nice enough to make and send nice samples! I just cant get over the smooth consistency of diameter and wall thickness good work.

Lambs Bread
09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks again for your comments chris and i our thrilled by the response we hope you all make great things with your tube pulls. Cant wait to see pics. OOOOOO yeah those boro stix rock ( except the white ). chris cant wait to see a pic i didnt stick around to see you work it

chayes
09-13-2008, 03:20 PM
here ya go

jr23
09-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice, It looks like good stuff ol boro bars.

chayes
09-13-2008, 04:03 PM
463 grams of tubing 7 and a half hours of work with a couple breaks. The bubbler is 13inches from the bottom of the can to the top of the mouth piece, the can is 9.5 inches. The spoon is 5 inches long. the chillum is 3.25 inches long.

Hefe
09-13-2008, 04:39 PM
happy you decided to give the BS a try!
i told you they are awesome...some of them.
tube pull looks great..dont the bs coloors work so damn smooth..love them.

and the white seems perfect to me, i ONLY use bs white, unless doing a rodencase.

Chad G
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I would test out that tube for sure...If I like it i'll buy some....Chad G I'm on GP also so you can see some of my work...

chayes
09-13-2008, 06:57 PM
We have arranged testers hopefully there feedback will be enough. but keep checking because we got other stuff we're gonna introduce and will need testers.

n3rd
09-14-2008, 10:03 PM
i really really dig this tube! this is awesome stuff. its very thick and large in diameter i wish i measured it so i could share the specifics. i stretched about 2" down to about 3" and used those for sections, they were really nice. thanks Chayes!

chayes
09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks n3rd for testing our tubing and posting pix. Looks like a sick piece.The reball on the bottom is sweet.

chayes
09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
After some serious consideration we will not be releasing the tubing this week. We are ordering some more colors and when we release this tubing there will be more color pallets available than black and white. We feel that more color pallets to start with will be more beneficial to our customers. And we hope that all the testers will have all reviewed our product by then.

spano
09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
cant wait, i plan on buying at least a few tubes to try out when their available.

Lambs Bread
09-15-2008, 09:24 PM
we are hoping to have the tube pulls out as soon as possible . great pics n3rd great to see other like them so chayse and i couldn't be happier. were hoping the other testers will take photos and show there work

Lambs Bread
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
were also trying to work out pricing for bulk tubin prices

Lambs Bread
09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
just wondering if the testers will get back 2 us with pics

Dom
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Defenitely just need some more time to make something.

jr23
09-18-2008, 06:17 AM
yep I am not a full time glass worker I only work the glass bout 10-15 hrs a week and had a order for case or two of prodo and I am not using my sample for that for sure, sorry for delay but I want to make somthing a little nicer with this tubing.
I will garantee pics and review from me by the weekend and maybe a order if your ready.

Anubis
09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Chris these stacks are great......easy to work with and very stable. Terminations are all pulling sharp and clean....easier than what I'm used to since my stacks aren't sandwiched between clear like these......no cracking issues at all....there was some variance in wall thickness between both samples but the size was nice and consistant down the profile of each tube. I've attached some pics for reference including one of a finished sidecar. I'd recommend this product to anyone....thanks for the opportunity to be one of the testers! Peace.

n3rd
09-21-2008, 12:01 PM
20x5 sounds about right, this tubing is killer!!! nice sidecar anubis. :)

chayes
09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Anubis for testing the tubing out. The sidecar looks pretty nice.

chayes
09-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Update. This is taking a little longer than expected to get this project up and running. We have about 30lbs of this tubing made up at the moment. We are pretty close to our projected release number and I am hoping that by the beginning of next week this will be available.

And on a side note to the testers,
To the ones who tested and gave feedback Thank you very much it is greatly appreciated.

To the ones who still are in the works testing I can't wait to see what you've made.

And to the testers who took the tubing and ran i hope you enjoyed working it more than i would have.

Hefe
09-30-2008, 07:36 PM
so, you doing those on a lathe or what?

mer
09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
so, you doing those on a lathe or what?

did you see the lengths? he's either making it on a lathe or he's 20 feet tall lol. either way, it looks great. i look forward to the release and to seeing what people do with it. i think we're about to see a reball explosion.

does opas know yet?

chayes
09-30-2008, 08:54 PM
i'm 20 feet tall

NOFO
09-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Bull Shit Chris, you aint nothin but 18 feet , lol, hey did he
ever show up / come back or did he just vanish

Hefe
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
so, are these tube encasements or what? you have any problems with bubbles coming to the surface ever?

Dom
10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Ill let you know Im gonna try out a piece today.

chayes
10-03-2008, 08:47 PM
So how did it work out?

Dom
10-03-2008, 11:49 PM
The tubing works real nice. It was a little bit of a pain to stretch it out to what I like to work but other than that pretty butter. No bubbles. I didnt get to make a piece yet but I spun some rballs up. Here is a pic.

Lambs Bread
10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Awesome man great to see some of you posting pics looks clean. the reason we leave it that thick and such is because it has more use than just reball work and we also have found it easier to make reballs faster off thicker stock...the trick to pulling it down is to punty up with 12 mil tube on both side heat entire gather and pull uniformly it lends itself to pulling even.............we find that a 6 in section can pull down into a normal sized pull thanks again cant wait to see it in some work

Lambs Bread
10-05-2008, 08:56 AM
we are hoping to have it for sale in the upcoming days

Dom
10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Yea the tubing is pretty bomb, and 80 a pound aint bad.

If possible, it would be nice to have 2 versions, one really thick like the stuff you sent out and one version more stretched and thinner ready for reversal prep.

One last ? what kind of black are you guys using? I had a hard time making perfect terminations, the black like to bleed out.

chayes
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure what black it was it may have been raven or onyx. As of right now we're using jet black.

Lambs Bread
10-06-2008, 06:24 AM
yes the jet black seems to be okay....but we are always open to peoples suggestion too. like chris says were using jet black but if it has a bleeding problem we would like to know although this was a pipe i made with the same pull no bleeding problems

Lurch
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Is there gonna be a cap on how much you can purchase at one time?

I wanna get around 5 pounds when you release it.

chayes
10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
no cap you can order all you would like. We have decided against selling odds or seconds and will be only selling the absolute best of this. As of right now we have 53 pounds made up which we need to go through cut up and pick out the best. I have ordered another round of colors which should be in later this week completing some of the palette we've been missing .

Also we made a black and white tube last night with uranium glass in it. In tube form the uranium holds up really well and is pretty visible under a blacklight. I'm gonna try and test a sample from it tonight and see how it holds up after being worked. If all goes good we will do a limited run of u glass tubing in the future.

chayes
10-09-2008, 07:48 AM
We have cut up the tubing and should have it up in a ebay store later tonight. Here are a few pics of the uranium tubing. We did a reball test on it and it held up super nice. I will get some pics of that up later.

Dr. !@#$!
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Damn that U-glass looks smooth! I am all about making my own tubing, but I would seriously consider buying some of that... You guys make any dichro tubing?

chayes
10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
We have done dichro tubing before and more will be in the works. We are trying to get one thing done at a time though. This is a serious project that we have taken on so please bear with us and good things will come.

jr23
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Just sampled my sample today and will have a few pics up in the morning. I just started with re-balls and this tubing makes it real easy I nailed a pretty nice one with the red black and white small piece. I was all confident after that And got a litlle sloppy on the bigger tube and messed up a little but still got a piece finished in the kiln. I really wish I would have done like dom and made all re-balls first then planned it out as I am not proud of piece but so it goes . All in all a good product and I was able to cut small sections and pull down just as recommended. Chayes thanks for letting me test and sorry for the time it took. I am a part timer and have been real busy. Could you please give us a link to your e-bay store.

Dom
10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Im just glad I didnt rush into it. I was thinking of taking a gamble with the china black as the filler but Im glad I decided against it.

Matt, the tiny bit of bleeding I had was with the bigger tubing, nothing major at all I had to get the magnifying glass out to see it. But jet black never bled on me before so that should be a good solution.

This tubing is pretty primo. I will defenitely be ordering some. Especially if you guys have lots of cool color combos available.

earlbacher
10-09-2008, 03:52 PM
looks like the first batch of this tubing is gonna go fast... guess i need to stay near the computer and wait for the link to pop up....

NOFO
10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
dude you were right, UV came out smooth as shit bro

jr23
10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes indeed Dom that China black has working parameters for sure.That u-tube kicks ass. I liked the thickness of tube That was the first one I did not wrinkle and I went for the bender back style and that usually gets crazy on me. Although for a experienced blower I can see the benefits of both thick an thin wall stock. I Really want to see the e-bay store and all the pics of tube and all the combos.

chayes
10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Matt is on his way over right now we should have this up in a few hours or so. I'll post a link to the ebay store as soon as its done. Also we can make jet black tubing if any one is interested. We have some steel wool tubing that we will be putting up.

chayes
10-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Here is a link to the tubing.
http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=colored+line+tubing&_sacat=14339

We'll continue adding to it tomorrow,but for now its a start. We will hopefully getting a website up soon.

chayes
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
We've listed more tubing. We've got more pics to take and we'll be putting more up.

Lambs Bread
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
we are also going to be making matching cane stock and milli

atseasick
10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
can u guys workout a price for Adelaide Australia Post code 5047 pretty please?

Regards
Andrew

chayes
10-11-2008, 07:53 AM
We have added more today.

jr23
10-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Hey guy's I have a little recommendation about your listing. You have the word out on forums and not many peeps that look for glass on e-bay list or look in craft section you are allowed multiple search words when listing and a popular one I always looked at and bought from before my forum days was Glassblowing and Glass blowing If you type those words in no less than 2 to 3 pages of lampworking and offhand stuff pops up most torches that sell at decent price's are listed there I know you would get hits within hrs of listing there. Just trying to help as It was nice to get that sample.It started me on re-balls and your tube helped me discover that working a thin tube is harder for those with little re-ball exp. My first nice ball came from your stuff thanks alot. Also as to a sale's point of view some Crayon color tube would prob be hot as alot of folks have trouble using it and would probly jump on it fast. That is just a thought I mean no harm or you should do this as you got your hand full. Just a little feedback from a lampworking supply shopper/blower thats always thinking about stuff. Bye the way Great job I would say you guys are doing Right and will earn even more success in this field.

michaeL25
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm with JR on the crayon tube. a nice fire/ice combo would be dope.

Lurch
10-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Or give us a way to contact you for specific color combos. I've bought 2 of the auctions, but you haven't hit the colors that I want yet.

chayes
10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
You can contact me at 802-773-6262 Or Matt at 802-362-0071.

We are in the process of getting our color stock up so that we will have lots of the colors available for most combos. I've got a order of color i'm waiting on and i'm pretty sure i need to order lots more this week. I'd like to have 2-5lbs of each color rod we use in stock at all times.

Ben Burton Glass
10-18-2008, 02:19 PM
It's taken me a while to get down and use the test tubing you sent me, but I spent a couple hours wig-wagging and made some re-balls!!! The tubing works super nice!!! I still haven't put anything together with them yet, but I will shortly...

The tubing was a little thick, and took some blowing out and stretching down to get it to workable sizes/diameter, but after that i's like butter!!

I highly recommend this product to anyone not interested in doing their own stick-stacks and tube pulls... Nice work fellas!! This stuff is tight!!!

I'll post some pics when I put things together! Thanx again!!

aloha!

Lambs Bread
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
thanks ben
we were thinking about selling pre pulled like down to 12 mm or so but it adds quite a bit of time to the process im glad you had great results.. we really like it thick like that for certain applications . but that the kind of input that might make us figure out a cost to pull it down to save time..glad you like it cant wait to see pics

spano
10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
any new batches?

Lambs Bread
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
yup we will have a bright rasta in a few patterns and some others soon pm me if you have any ?

seadal
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Post up some more on ebay.

Lambs Bread
10-28-2008, 02:36 AM
ok in 2 days we will post them up on ebay we were hopin to website thats why the delay

jr23
10-28-2008, 05:25 AM
yes it really suck's to give e-bay one penny more. they should cut the B.S and just charge a single fee pics and all. But the e-bay world is big,it would not hurt to use for advertising your site. You can always throw a few out there and send your card and info to the buyer's.

Lambs Bread
10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
thanks to all yeah we will post this next batch on ebay but inspire to have a site real soon. also we hate how ebay charges per item for shipping so a website is key