PDA

View Full Version : I need some input from you…

Mr. Wonka
09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Ok, here’s the deal. We always have more people attending AGI than we have work spaces, so inevitably the early bird gets to set up a work space, and those arriving late have to use other people’s torches, which is sometimes uncomfortable.

We limit the ticket sales to 65 people, and we have about 65 work stations… before the kilns are on the benches (there are 13 of them), which take up at least 1 to 1-1/2 spaces each.

What do you think would be a fair way to remedy the situation so everyone gets adequate bench / torch time? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

UmaJulz
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I know that you were planning on modifying the kiln arrangement in the new building, and that should help when it happens.

As for the space as it is, I know some people come and don't plan on torching. It's vacation. Some people come with a torch that they are happy to share. That's very cool too. I know I was really late, and recognize that I might not get a spot, but sweet peeps like Aymie let me have her station, not that I spent too much time there (the volcano just needs it's own house I think- temperamental :) ).

I'd love it if there were options to reserve a space with friends. But then again, with my friends, any of them would let me use their torch, so why do I even bring mine? Only so that if I had my own station, my shit wouldn't get in others' way if I was sharing. Since I like to work both soft and hard, I'm in a weird space as to what would be the ideal spot for me.

Maybe you could have a reserve system for old timers, and then people with fewer visits could get a chance at remaining spaces. Also, knowing who is actually coming with a torch, and who is really happy to share their torch, either with friends, or anyone else, might be good info to have when they register.

Just getting to AGI and being able to watch all the demos, and watching people work is quite overwhelming for some first timers, and even though they brought their torch, they might not even turn it on.

You could have a board up for spaces- people who haven't used their set up after a certain amount of time, could be asked to give up to others who don't have a place. I felt bad not using my space too much once I got it (wed afternoon), but Aymie seemed okay with it.

All in all though Tom, had anyone actually complained about it? Or are you just aware of it, and wondering (worrying?) if you need to make it more equitable?

Mr. Whale dick
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
i think it works fine .....aside from some punk ass bitches setting up in the michigan building b4 we got there ... :)

Joe Blow
09-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey now, I think the Texas Crew represented. :cowboy: Things seemed to work out beauty. I told you that I didn't mean to hurt your feelings sugar.:mushy: And I'm still plan'n on makin the pilgrimage to the most awesome breakfast in the state of Michigan, so hopefully that will seal the deal:D

Other than that, things seem to work out fine with torch time and space. I think it just comes down to people communicating about torch borrowing. Everyone I saw was willing as long they were not working at that time. It hasn't seemed to be a problem from my point of view, but maybe you could build some actual kiln tables. That way more torches could fit on the benches. Just a thought....

jcherrellglass
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
And I'm still plan'n on makin the pilgrimage to the most awesome breakfast in the state of Michigan, so hopefully that will seal the deal:D

I'm sure you meant to say, "the most awesome breakfast." (Note that there period after the word breakfast?)

gypsea
09-07-2008, 07:56 AM
new room: build kiln bench in the middle of room? still would be room to walk freely.
michigan bldg: kilns on shelf behind torch bench....existing situation
wonka bldg: kilns on middle shelf....existing situation
parramore bldg: kilns on shelf on window wall....existing situation
that leaves the main bldg.....maybe build a kiln shelf or 2 in there somewhere?

alternatively: ask people to plan a buddy system with a person of their choice...someone they can trust to use their torch without hurting it ( people prob wouldn't mind sharing their most valuable piece of equipment that they need to make a living if they are confident that the other person using it actually knows how to use it without melting it down....i say this because i know there has been a history of some gtt's being unintentionally abused in a free jump on someone else's torch situation) then they can take turns with torch time.

UmaJulz
09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
yep, gotta be GTT certified, and Herbie too. Hate, hate, hate punks coming in just to 'try it out!' without getting permission and without instruction. Saw that a lot last year, but not this year.

Mr. Wonka
09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Julz- Nobody really complained, but I’m sure there have been people disappointed in the past with not getting equal work time, so I want to be fair to everyone.

Gypsea, I think you hit the nail on the head with the buddy system… that should solve the problem quite nicely, along with rearranging some kilns if we can. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tom

Joe Blow
09-07-2008, 02:41 PM
That buddy system sounds like one heck of an idea. Nice:)

ben walsh
09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
i would be happy to not set up my torch next year. i think i know how to use a few different torches if people would be so kind... theres 1 more space. i'll still bring my torch incase any1 is jonesen for a mirage

Aymie
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Same here...I took my torch down for Julz to set up the Patience Master 3000. I had no problem doing so. Getting on the torch in front of so many people is a bit of an issue for me. I have some pretty severe social anxiety that I hide/help with the drinking. So by the time I am comfy, I am too tipsy for torching. I have no problem coming back and not setting up a torch. I know enough people who will let me jump on their's and Alex will have his. Though I am not familiar with other torches, I would NEVER jump on one without asking for permission and assistance.

yinzer
09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
and assistance???

UmaJulz
09-10-2008, 05:58 PM
The Patience Master 3000 is a perfect name for that torch. It has been renamed! thank you Aymie!

Damn, that torch wants its own room with a cabana boy fanning the operator. Shit that thing requires a certain perfectly zen like state of mind. Not for general consumption.

Aymie
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
and assistance???

that's right B...I don't know how to work all y'all's fancy torches...and I'm dumb...that's how we roll in Texas...bustin' a chill baby!

And I make a great drink called a cabana boy.

UmaJulz
09-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Hey, I'll have one of those! How about like right now- for breakfast?

Next year, I'll make a liquor run and bring a little Caribbean flava to the event. Oh Cabana Boy!

Greymatter Glass
09-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm not really sure this is an "issue" or Tom's just getting bored now that we've left.

But on the subject, I already practice the Buddy System with Rob and the Michigan Crew, worked out great.

I'd be happy to bring extra "free" torches also, without a designated "user" for open torching. I can bring a CC and a Midrange next year no problem that I wouldn't mind being used and wouldn't worry about some n00b using them.

I think I spent at most maybe 2-3 hours on the torch this year, and less last year, so things work great for me.

The only person I'm aware of to have a real issue with sharing their torch seems to have lost interest in the whole AGI thing anyways.

As for kilns - the main building was _NEVER_ crowded to capacity on the floor. You could easily put a few low tables in the middle of the room near the back that would hold kilns and not really be in the way any more than 20 empty chairs are.

In the new building, I'd say a bench down the center would disrupt the sharing back and forth in the room.

Now to get deeper... there WERE kiln problems:

1. No one seemed to know how to program a digital kiln. People, it takes 5 minutes to master a Digitry GB-1 and only a few weeks to figure out a Fuji controller. Stop asking me to program your kilns.

2. Analog kilns? At the preeminent lamp working week long event in the country? When so many people are using them? there's a few solutions. First would be to radically upgrade the kiln situation with a PC controlled "heart" that every kiln is hooked into and monitored. TC sending units and relay boxes are pretty cheap, less than $200 an oven. The PC can be any old laptop or PC running Win9X or better.

next would be to get a Digitry GB-5 for every 5 kilns (or building for those with less than 5 kilns) and use it to control them. A wall mounted box is the brain/heart and each kiln has a small box to controll it from the GB-5.

Finally would be just upgrade each kiln as needed with a stand alone digital controller. If I can find the time I'd be happy to build them for cost or materials and free labor and mail them out. Looking at maybe $150ish per kiln. A bit more for a better control (bartlett vs Fuji)

whatever happens, if I get asked to program a kiln next year I'm gonna charge whoever asks me $10, or demand a yellow staff badge and happily be on call for kiln issues the whole week.

As for booze... yeah I'll bring more. My mini of Patron went too quick. (patron mini, like one shot)

and can we build a temporary building in the parking lot for unattended drunk flaming for Jamie? He didn't really get messed up enough this year.

-Doug

UmaJulz
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
somersaulting off his bike was messed up enough I think, though a little more cheerful drunkenness around the fire would be waaay lots more fun. But if you think he needs to drink more, I'll oblige by being his designated driver. I am an excellent driver you know.

All those kiln solutions are probably way over the top Doug, as much as it makes sense if it were all in constant use for more than one week.

Now, having a designated "kiln sitter" person or two would probably be more helpful, and more efficient. I imagine that having the kiln controllers not working properly in the first place was the biggest problem. Not know what temp it is really at is a pretty big problem. I'm sure Marcel will be all over that, and the controllers will be in fine working order by next time.

I work with both analog and digital, and it's not that hard to deal with either. You just have to tell people to keep their paws off the controls, and leave them to the sitter.

Aymie
09-13-2008, 07:24 AM
My front loader is an old cress with an analog control and for years my pyrometer stopped at 900...I'm pretty familiar with analog and malfunctioning pyrometers to say the least. Since I don't put in much torch time there, I'll be happy to help keep an eye on the kilns next year, though I bet it won't be an issue by then.

Mr. Wonka
09-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Doug- you’ll get a green name tag next year with the title, “Kiln Biotch”, so anyone with a problem can come to you. Sound good?

Next year all of the kilns will be working properly. Brand new / fresh out of the box we had 3 or 4 with bad pyrometers and / or thermocouples, but I’m working with Aim to get the problem taken care of.

Speaking of kilns: my friend Brian, who painted the Parramore building and did the spray paint murals, will be giving all of the kilns custom paint jobs which should look pretty cool : )

Ben- don’t worry about not setting up your torch… the buddy system should solve any problems that might pop up.

I'm working on our '09 event already, including demos, food, and other improvements, and I'll keep you posted as things unfold.

**Please contact us if you want to get a ticket for next year... they are on sale now, and the cost is $575.00 until December 15th

Tom

Cold Seal
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaah i didnt get enough torch time boo hoo poor me waaaaaaaah we got shelbow'd out of a space then we got shelbow'd during a demo we got shelbow'd at dinner and we got shelbow'd with the beer next year im buying a ticket for my mom so i dont get shelbow'd like this

Greymatter Glass
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Damn Shelbow...

green? I want baby blue, damnit. But really, I'd be happy to help in any capacity Tom.

And on the note of painting kilns, make sure you use high-temp automotive paint. I've seen regular spray paint burn off before...makes a mess of a kiln body. The automotive stuff is good up to like 800-900 degrees...

-Doug

NOFO
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
can't wait to see what Brian does with the kilns, I love his work .

Aymie
10-08-2008, 05:38 AM
There are two different engine paint grades. One is good to only 600 or so for the engine block itself and they make paints for exhaust manifold and pipes that are rated much higher (up to 1200 intermittently)...make sure and get the better one.

Greymatter Glass
10-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna get my next kiln chromed.

seriously.

$300