PDA

View Full Version : newbie mini paperweights

Paul Moores
10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal12998_Fall_Paperweights.asp

Largest is the 5th at 2.25 x .75 inches. Issue is I made it on my hothead torch and used the even slower to melt lauscha for encasing. Ended up spending the best part of 2 hours.

Cant wait until I can get a real studio and a real torch, in the meantime I got a hothead and the dab method and therefore the bubbles.

Ravio11i
10-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Rockin, especially off a hot head. I especially like the black and yellow one. Being a hot head user myself i have to ask, did you hace any issues wih cracking? if not how? did you basically have to keep the main body in the flame I'd assume? any pointer would be great.
Thanks
Robert

wifebeader
10-11-2005, 08:23 AM
cool :)

Paul Moores
10-12-2005, 05:45 AM
No issues if you keep the heat up. The key with that hothead torch is to use Lauscha clear for encasing. In fact I use various Lauscha transparent for the base. Its very slow to move. Once you got the coverage area you have to heat along the edge and press as the hothead even on high is barely enough heat.

For now I use this to make them:

http://www.inspirationtoolworks.com/lampworking/0010/

That mass of metal behind the glass holds alot of heat, gives it back as you move around.

Umm those paperweights are mostly moretti surrounded by Lauscha clear, sometimes with a moretti black base. But the frit is a combination of COE 90, COE 96 Urboros? and Moretti frit. And Lauscha. Yes incompatible frit in 104 glass.

Dont plan on selling so no biggy, but when I do get my own house next summer and a studio instead of this sneaking 1lb coleman propane tanks into my 3rd floor condo ill upgrade.

The moretti will soot/cloud and be ruined if more then a small amount of hothead flame touches it. So I have to cover everything in Lauscha (which can take the full heat of the flame - but with a shimmer of maybe metal residue coming to surface - this in turn needs to be removed by lowering the flame to almost off at the end).

Sooo. when I do get a minor with oxygen hopefully I can move all to COE 96 which seems to have the largest selection of frit. Either that or make all my own and stick with moretti, assuming I can with a minor control the sooting issue.

Oh well, its only been since march when I made a few tiny beads. Lots to learn. And that Paul Stankard plateau is so so far away.

Ravio11i
10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.
Robert