PDA

View Full Version : cheap kiln

Gibsons Glassworks
11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
lookin for a small cheap kiln. at leat 6 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches would be nice. digi controller would be nice but if its an old analog thats fine too.

i live in BC canada, so somewhere close to here would be ideal but if shes a lil one shiping is doable.

under 800 bucks and i will pickup or pay shipping.

thanks kindly lemme know if u have any lil guys collecting dust and wanna make some coin.

Gibson

Clear_dome
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
good luck gibs !! I just bought a new paragon sc2 with beat door on ebay for 570 shipped but it took me a realy long time to find one !! the inner chamber is 8" wide x 5 3/4" high x 7 3/4" deep digital ....realy friendly kiln I realy love it

maybe this link can help you : http://artistryinglass.on.ca/store/catalog/KILNS_page_1_c_409.html

also if you by a kiln in usa be sure to get it shipped via usps cause you'll get rip by the broker fee of usp or fedex

hope it help

petto
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Gibson this one here is $800 brand new
http://aimkilns.com/html/99ls_9169gs.html
If your gonna spend $800 might as well get a new one. AIM kilns are great, I have the next size up from this one and love it.

Gibsons Glassworks
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
thanks folks, aims are ncie, but arent approved in canada, so if it burns down my shop im fucked...

its for my apprentace, hes got a bobcat and needs a kiln for cheap thansk for the info.

KahunaGlassArt
11-17-2008, 03:21 PM
aw man i bought an aim 99sl/d for 640 american, brang new, and driving up to Bellingham, WA to pick it up. why arent they aproved in canada?

Blacksheep
11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
huh not approved first i heard of that , whas the deal? no sticker? think ill go look lol

Celcius
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Yup. It's been a few years since I checked with them, but as far as I know, AIM does not get its kilns Canadian safety approved. This is a different designation than American approval, and there is often a little "C" somewhere in the symbol. For instance, UL (underwriter's league) is the american approval, ULC is the Canadian version. CSA is another common one, but there are several companies that can test and "sticker" electrical goods. Paragon uses TUV.

Used to be Paragon had only a few of their models approved, as the approval process is expensive (so I'm told) and Canada represents only a small portion of their market. But within the last year, they've gotten a bunch more models approved. Yay Paragon!

Of course, you can import any kiln and have inspected and approved once it's in Canada but you have to pay for this and there is no guarantee they will approve it.

Looks like the whole issue is a provincial matter too, so different provinces may have different rules. Anyway, here is a link to the info for B.C.:
http://www.safetyauthority.ca/files/Electrical%20Equipment%20Approval%20webpage%20fina l1.pdf
If you click on the pdf link it will give you actual images of approved symbols.

This doesn't mean AIM kilns aren't awesome and totally safe kilns, it's just against the law for me to sell them:bummed: It's a drag because it means we Canadians have less choice in kilns we can legally buy or sell than Americans do. But Nortel Mfg. and I have quietly been pushing this issue for years, and hopefully it is changing.

Joanne

Blacksheep
11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
well that is a bummer . i also think they are safe and all but guess i will look for a kiln that is approved for canada when i get around to upgrading

my last shop was in my house so having insurance issues is a no go there
my next shop will be in different building but id still like it to be covered insurance wise
thanks for the info
better start looking at the paragon models

KahunaGlassArt
11-23-2008, 12:38 PM
GO JOANNE!!
yeah i just cancled my order with Grady for my aim 99ls/d. with the canadian/us dollar right and shipping combined i might as well just buy a paragon from somewhere local. plus the wait has been 2 weeks and no phone call for confermation and whatnot.

anyone selling a kiln by any chance?

Blacksheep
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
how about an Aim 99 ? lol jk cant afford to upgrade at this time gotta get a suitable shop space set up again .