PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon burner wanted

Swampy
01-15-2009, 10:11 AM
To fit a National 3A/B torch (I don't know if it will fit a standard elbow).

Lemme know what you got but you must have it ready to go out the door... I have work waiting for it ;-)

PayPal waiting.

Postage would be to TX76656.

Please reply by Sunday 18jan09 otherwise I'll get it from Premier supplier.

TIA

Swampy
01-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Bumping it for the weekend :-)

Greymatter Glass
01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
See if you can get one from Knight, they're slick.

I have a fishtail burner from them, it's really nice... not too useful, but nice.

Swampy
01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the Knight burners (http://www.nmknight.com/burnerdivision.htm) reference Doug but I'm gonna stick with the National torch.

mer
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I was going to crack wise about making one yourself but then I got to thinking that it probably isn't an unreasonable notion. I'm kinda considering making myself a couple now.

I've seen antique ones that were even had a sliding cover that exposed as many or few ports as the job called for. Perhaps a metal pipe with end caps, drilled ports and threads tapped to meet the tip of the natty is all you need.

/EDIT> after hearing swampy's tale and considering the matter further i would *not* suggest that anybody take my advice with regard to making indoor pipe ribbon burners/ YIKES!

It may be an ignorant question but is there a machine shop in belize? I'd google but I'm on my phone and I can't run multiple windows/tabs.

Anyway, it looks lIke you're aquiring a lot of equipment for your new endeavor. Considering the wait and expense you have to deal with it might be worth the effort to invest in a few tools you'll want for fabricating other tools.

Zed
01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Just curious, what do you need this for?

jr23
01-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Swampy is planning on taking over the world one glass blowing tool at a time. Did you get your Lathe Planned out and fabricated up yet!

Swampy
01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
:-)

The chucks are in transit yay!

jr23
01-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Its great to be sufficient enough to build one out of spare parts and some Raw materials I would say from scratch but you know what kind of commotion saying that cause's LOL

Swampy
01-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Mer I made one on Friday.

7/16" bore bronze tube.

Drilled the ports with a 1mm drill (only broke three drills heh heh)

Silver soldered the end caps.

Sawed off a spare Natty elbow, filed to fit the hole drilled midway in the back of the tube, silver soldered that.

Clean up.

Set fire to it;

:flamethro:

:HOT:

:fworks:
Then... BIG BANG!
and all the birds flew out the trees, old lady next door fell out of bed and the dogs took cover.

So I'm gonna score me one of them thar properly made by expert thangs from Premier.

As it happens, they (Premier) don't do PayPal and my card is maxed the out (thanks hun, happy Christmas)...

What I need is some kind person that will order the burner from Premier for me and ask Bill Harrod to send it to Jose my freight dood's depot at TX76656.

The burner I need is as follows;
34-10387 RB-43 Tip, Ribbon Burner, 80 orifices in three 4" long rows (for Natural gas, propane and hydrogen only) $111.40 (http://www.premierind.us/price.html)

I will of course pay the buyer in advance and add extra for the cost of the PayPal transaction/beer and send something made in Belize.

What jolly good fun :D

Swampy
01-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Just curious, what do you need this for?

Lathework ;-)

mer
01-18-2009, 09:38 AM
gotcha/pm sent

jojo101
01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
swampy u made ur own lathe?!?!???

Swampy
01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
jojo, read posts 7 and 8

:-)

steven p selchow
01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Glasscraft also sells them specifcally for the 3a/b 3 different models if ya got there catalog Swampy...just a second thought.

I had one of those ribbon burners made by hyde from L.A. had the cover to limit the gas/oxy mixture for the job at hand, blew the screws out first time I fired it up, but they are great for bending solid rod, I only used it for bending the glass around a jig I made for large heart frames.

phab
01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
...i made my own lathe but the guy that used to pedal the bike to keep it turning moved back home. :(

Swampy
01-19-2009, 06:33 AM
phab :-)

Yeah Steve it would have been a bonus to get this burner in time for Valentine's Day and knock out some hearts, that was part of the plan.

Funny how things turn out eh, as it happens Jose will be arriving back from TX on 3feb so maybe things will line up and he'll bring the burner with him on this next trip.