PDA

View Full Version : wtb pro-8

Soul-One Glass
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
i am looking to buy a pro-8 oxygen generator, i have a pro-4 now that i run my mirage off of but i need to run two cheetahs and another mirage as well. anyone got one for sale??????? i cant remember what i paid for my machine. i would like to know how much a pro-8 machine is. i know that if i get a pro-8 i will also buy an eaton compressor, smutboy if you read this, what hp compressor should i get from eaton????? thanks and happy lampworking

Icarus
01-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Someone was selling one on ebay earlier this week, but took it down monday morning because of no bids. They were located in Glendale Heights, IL if I remeber correctly, and there user name was like "fu manchu" something.

Yeah, little to no help, i know. But it may be a start. It only had 25 hours on it from the look of it, and it came with a compressor, so it may be worth investigating more. Was local pickup only though if I remember correctly.

Big Jay
01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
dude if that pro-8 on ebay was legit, it would have been worth driving from anywhere in the US to get it. It was like 4k with the compressor and said super low hours. I tried finding the expired listing but no luck.

Icarus
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, i had it on my watched list, and then checked monday morning and it was gone without a trace. Shame too, it was only a two hour drive for me. It would have been the remainder of my student loan money, but fuck... well worth it.

smutboy420
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Ya I thought about dropping the loot on that one on ebay just to buy it if no one snatched it up. That thing was prestine shape and I belive only had as many hours as the meter said. the plastic air tubes wwere still white and new.

i know that if i get a pro-8 i will also buy an eaton compressor, smutboy if you read this, what hp compressor should i get from eaton????? thanks and happy lampworking.

Do you mean what size to run the pro8 by its self or Are you going to need a single compressor thats beefy enough to run both of the pro4 and the pro8 at the same time?

smutboy420
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
oh I almost forgot to tell you what size compressor.

I think its there 7.5hp one that puts out the CFM of air that you are going to need to push the pro8. You need a minimum of 25cfm @80psi on the compressors air flow. But even the 7.5 can tend to run a lot So even a 10hp would d be even better if you can afford to go a lil bit bigger.

But is a guy here on the boards named Jay that bought my old pro8. HE switched up to a rotary screw from Eaton and it seemed like he was liking the rotary screw compressor a lot because its quiet and long life. I know they put out a lot of air too. SO if you r looking at running both the pro4 and pro8 at the same time. I would defiantly look in to getting a rotary screw for sure.

STROKER
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
i run a pro-8 on an eaton 7.5 hp rotary screw with a 120 gallon tank.

i use a delta elite and it can really use the machine for all its worth if its raging the flame.

if you go to a 10hp then you will need 3phase electric or a convertor and the owner of eaton said he is really against running his 3phase machines off a converter because of that 3rd leg fluctuation.

i had a 10 hp piston type and burnt it up pretty quick during the summer when torching 10 hour days.
since i already had a converter and the 10 hp is the same price as the 7.5 single phase, i figured i would just get a ten. the owner of eaton talked me out of it as he said it would be much harder on the machines electonics and that was that.
the rotarys are made to run all the time with no issues and so far i am very pleased with my new one.

plus they are so damn quiet. big bonus for working at night.

the compressor runs non stop and is always filling up the 02 machine if i am using the outer flame. but it stays at about 85 psi even when under full load and the o2 machine gets fed at 65psi as anything above that can hurt the sieve beds.
what i am saying is that i have plenty of air for the machine it just has to run all the time. (rotary screws are built to run 24 hours a day)

eaton says the machine is good for 70,000 hours use and it has a bumper to bumper warranty for 5 years.

that is a lot of torch time.

so far i have about 400 hour on the new compressor and it has been worth every penny.

side note:

the compressor doesnt like temps below 30 degree. if its in the 20's , chances are it will not start up and give an error code that says its air inlet tmep is too cold.

not a big deal for me, but it can be if you live way up north. personally i cant do much when its 20's either so i say screw it on those days and do something else.

later, jay

smutboy420
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
good for 70,000 hours use
Holly molly thats a lot of hours. Over its life time thats pretty cheap per hour if compared to even the best piston compressors life.

HUM I may have to look in to one for the home shop. Because theres no way I could run a big loud compressor down hear Like at the old shop where I could fire a machine gun with out any one caring.
With out having to only work in the day time hours. I know my other compressor would not make for happy neighbors down here.

Being spolied and then having to used tanked is NOT cool at all. Esp when I know what its like to be free of the o2 mans bondage. ugh!

n3rd
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
yet another advantage of the smaller system i have. works in the suburbs!

glassblowingBiker
01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
that Pro 8 is straight Up not sure if he sold it or Not i talked to the In real life about a few months Back pm and ill try and get u his number peace Jeff

TarHallowGlass
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I bought that pro-8. Fed-ex is picking it up Monday.-

ARI

FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I NO LONGER HAVE TO DEAL WITH AIRGAS !