PDA

View Full Version : questions about chicago...

kaneisabel
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
hi everyone...
this forum is such a great source of infomation for me. i have been working for about a year, but only full time since feb.09. i am moving to chicago from the north east kingdom of vermont in the fall. the wifey is starting grad school...
anywho,
does anyone in chi-town have shop space available? i only do low end production right now because that's where i'm at these days. i work out of my garage right now, so the only thing i really need is a space to set up. if anyone from the chicago area just has information about stores, the zoning restrictions on ox/prop. within the city limits, i need all the help i can get.

thanks everyone.
its great to have a place to come for questions like this.
-kevin-

uglyglass
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey Kevin - Apparently you sent me a private message a couple months ago. But I haven't logged on to this website since then. So believe it or not, I just got your email today. I'll call you soon to discuss. I can set you up with a workspace. -ed

Sparkey
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Space in Chicago is expensive. CHG is a great place to work and there is a killer Puerto Rican restaurant not too far away (Tropical Taste). Roy at Batteries Not Included is having trouble finding pieces, so definitely stop by there.

mikejones
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
hey kevin, I am in Chicago....there was some talk of Hot Glass building out a lampworkers area, not sure if they have done that yet

Cosmo
07-28-2009, 06:47 AM
I was there last year and found absolutely zero places in Chicago.

Did find www.prodigyglassworks.com out in Oak Park though. But that's a hot shop...

Sparkey
07-28-2009, 07:26 AM
I was there last year and found absolutely zero places in Chicago.

Did find www.prodigyglassworks.com out in Oak Park though. But that's a hot shop...

There is Chicago Hot Glass, which acquired the space next door for lampworking. Great people there, that should be your first choice IMO. There is also Fulton Street Collective where you could rent space (although the landlord is a bit of a dick).

Josh

08-01-2009, 04:36 AM
There is a shop in Joliet, about 20 min outside city limits, called Headventures. Last time i was there it looked like they had some production going on. Also stop by a shop called Secrets (I think its still called that) by Belmont and Clark area and ask them. And Maybe Roxys off of 355 i think, Shamburg area.

When i lived there the shops were super sketch because the mayor at the time was a prick and glass was hard to come by, but the last time i visited it seamed to be blowing up.

Hope it helps,
Goodluck -D