PDA

View Full Version : new nasa glass

somberbear
06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
An odd artical about melts they do in zero g. and also some other intersting info.

Glass in space (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/14apr_zeroglass.htm)

FredLight
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
That's one of the most interesting new articles I've read lately,
besides the one in Cat Fancy about Cigarettes and Cats.

Abe Fleishman
06-20-2005, 06:28 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/04/01/glass.levitate.cnn/
This has the old info about this crazy glass.

10FennyGlass
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
wow, ive read this before, how old is this

Fire on the mountain
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Very interesting. Anyone down for starting a GLDG fundraiser for a space ship?? I've got $5 on it.

10FennyGlass
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
i got $2.73, carton of smokes, and some cheeseburgers man!

Jme glass
06-26-2005, 11:20 AM
well i think all we really need is the "acoustic levitator"..... ill throw down $5on it, who else?
Jme

roger parramore
04-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Sorry, I suddenly realized this is an ancient thread. But since you're here anyway, they thought they could make a perfect sphere in zero g, but found out that the high frequency radio waves they were using couldn't be absolutely controlled. The gist of it is the radiation frequency actually pushed the shpere into an oval. Another example of Newton's laws of action and reaction. I promise I'll never open another old thread. Pleeeeeeeze forgive me.

Greymatter Glass
04-19-2008, 08:33 AM
no, see that's cool.... you added relevant information that was worthy of re-visiting an old thread. I'm not entirely against revival of old threads.

What I am against is if you came across this thread and just said "oh, that's cool, I agree" ... it's considered bad form on the Internet is all.

Anyone who has actual information to add should be able to add it. If the threads were to auto-lock after say 500 days, then you can start a new thread and link to a locked one.

The real problem is people don't read dates, so if you bump up a thread that's 2 years old but has time sensitive information in it that can cause confusion, i.e. is someone went on to post about a class coming up, or a place you could go see these spheres - it would be way out dated, and would get peoples hopes up for no reason.

the other problem is drama - sometimes drama gets started on threads for no reason at all, and digging something up can re-ignite that drama...

I'm not saying _NEVER_ revive an old post, just have a reason for doing so.

Also, if you do a search, check the dates on posts you're reading to see if it's "dead" and if it is, you can start a new thread if the old one doesn't answer your question.

-Doug

Big Jay
04-19-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks for bumping that Roger that was really interesting.

Greymatter Glass
04-19-2008, 09:49 AM
exactly

Blacksheep
04-19-2008, 11:34 AM
That's one of the most interesting new articles I've read lately,
besides the one in Cat Fancy about Cigarettes and Cats.

CAT FANCY -you must be kidding:devilish:

skip
04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
oh, that's cool, I agree.

Robert Mickelsen
04-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I ran across this very article about five years ago and as a result recruited Delbert Day to speak at the GAS conference in St. Louis in 2006. His talk was fascinating and the text is included in the journal from that year. His work with micro-spheres as a cancer drug delivery system is even more interesting. Amazing guy.

oops... just realized this is a very old thread. Sorry about that.

brettodie
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
nice robin interesting stuff. who cares how old a thread is if you have interesting info to add to it. peace brett

roger parramore
04-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Konnichiwa Robin san, nice to see some of the old timers giving these kids what for. I too was fascinated by his cancer research--coolstuff indeed. Matane, Roger.