PDA

View Full Version : Also not melted, engraved, by laser...

SAWstudioZ
11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Swampy inspired me to share some engraving that I have been working on. Laser engraving photos is quite a challenge so dialing in resolution is key. Here I was testing different dpi's to find a good balance.

laser engraving and sandblasting are quite different in the sense that you can get much more detail with a laser, though a laser is shooting a beam of heat into the glass which in turn creates a "pit" or dot... so if you have a photo with a high "dpi" you are going to end up shooting the same area many times which gives you an over lasered result. For best results I keep the files at a small dpi which spreads and spaces the dots out better for more clear of a resolution. Think of it like pointillism ...

thanks for lookin,
Scooter

Icarus
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Man, that is some beautiful work.

The glass is quite nice also.

nafglass
11-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Wow! That's cool! Thanks for sharing!

STROKER
11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
very cool stuff right there.
the pic is quite pleasing to the eye as well.

question is that boro? can you put the same detail on boro as plate glass?

thanks for sharing.

Adapt
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn. I would love a glass poster of myself. Do you do custom laser images?

Swampy
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
That's some clever stuff.

Out of curiosity; can you do dichro?

Big Jay
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
incredible stuff. Love it

Pogo
11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
how 'bout surfacing???? does it have to be flat???

ALIEN!
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
damn dude, thats money right there. I could so sell the shit outta that kind of product. Looks great! COOL COOL COOL!

SAWstudioZ
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Q. "question is that boro? can you put the same detail on boro as plate glass?"
A. This is not Boro. It is some scrap plate glass that a glass company kicked down. About a 2' x4' piece. Not sure If I can get that detail in Boro but I have some on order and obviously plan on testing some out. Ill keep you posted...

Q.Do you do custom laser images?
A. Unfortunately I can not offer custom images at this time but if you pm me maybe we can work something out. no promises...

Q. Dichro?
A. From the tests that I have conducted with the machine I have, I have not had perfect results with etching away dichro cleanly. I am pretty sure that the companies that do laser etched images for boro dichro are using a YAG laser which produces a different wavelength from my co2 laser (long story). From what I hear I can do soft glass dichro images though I have not tried or had the material to test...

Q. Flat?
A. For my machine I can only do flat. There are laser engravers with rotary tools that can to a tube perhaps though the machine I work on is only for flat work. (happens to be one of the largest and fastest CO2 lasers in the world with a 6 foot by 10 foot working envelope....

thanks for the kind words. and yes, that girl is hot like FIA!!! sexy too!

glassdocnc
11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Very cool stuff there.

The Lorax
11-07-2009, 08:43 AM
wow and i thought pakoh's images were crisp... these are amazing