PDA

View Full Version : Art Glass Invitational / AGI 2006

Mr. Wonka
12-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi everybody. The Art Glass Invitational / AGI, which is sponsored by Glass Alchemy, LTD. will take place from August 21st through August 26th, 2006, and we want to update you on what is in store for you so far.

Demonstrations, lectures, and slide presentations will be conducted in The Lewis C. Wilson Building, and will include the following people:

-Emilio Santini- Several demonstrations over the course of 2 days. (Subject matter to be announced at a later date)

-Shane Fero- Flame working demonstrations, and several scholarly presentations over the course of 2 days.

-Henry Grimmett and (?)- A NEW presentation on working with color, including hands-on demonstrations and a question and answer period.

-Lewis C. Wilson; Flame working demonstrations- Lewis will demonstrate some of his trademark pieces, in addition to entertaining us with stories as only he can tell them!

-Bill Rasmussen; Flame working demonstrations- During Bill’s demonstration, we will hear stories of how he started and “how things used to be”. It will be a very special occasion to watch and listen to a true pioneer in the industry who has been working with glass for over 60 years.

-Barry Lafler; Scientific and novelty / specialty glass working demonstrations. Barry (a.k.a. “Bear”) will surprise us with some of his unique creations and tricks he has learned over the past 35 years.

-Steve Selchow; Flame working demonstrations- Steve is a true master of sculpture, and will be taking requests from the crowd as to what they would like to see.

-Deborah Carlson; Deborah will conduct a lecture about how to find the artist within yourself, and will be followed by a group activity in which volunteers will participate in several collaboration pieces.

-Tink; Our good friend Tink (a.k.a. Tinkenator, Tinkster, Tinkmeister, Tinkenstein) will be demonstrating some of her unique creations with us. (Subject matter to be announced at a later date)

-Dr. Ed; Our resident physician and fellow glass worker will discuss the hazards involved in our line of work and first aid during his slide presentation, followed by a question and answer period.

-Luke Gardner; Shot glasses. Luke will demonstrate his method of pulling lengths of finely detailed cane and using them for implosions. He will then demonstrate how to use the implosions to create functional shot glasses.

-Tom Doner (Mr. Wonka); Finding new markets- Tom will cover some of the material from his 2005 presentation, in addition to new products and marketing ideas he has discovered that nobody else is currently pursuing.

-In addition to the presentations, a major focus of AGI is learning from each other and networking with your peers. “We are all teachers, and we are all students” has always been our philosophy.

*NOTE- More presentations and more detailed descriptions will be added as we get closer to the event*

A special event will take place this year, in which Lewis Wilson will dedicate the completed “Lampworker’s Lounge” to his hero, and it will be called “The Bill Rasmussen Lounge”. Lewis and his wife Kathy will be here along with Bill and his wife Laura for the dedication. Bill holds a special place in the world of lampworking… He was the first glass worker at Disneyland, and also the first glass worker to create solid borosilicate sculptures. Before that, all boro sculptures were made of spun glass.

Bill has been called a “National Treasure” by his peers, and it will be an honor to dedicate a permanent place to him and his family who also work with glass. He has influenced the careers of people such as Lewis Wilson, Robert Mickelsen, and Milon Townsend, in addition to countless others.

The Bill Rasmussen Lounge will also feature “The Wall”, which is a project Lewis Wilson and Tom Doner are working on. This wall will feature photographs, biographies, and articles from glass workers that have been working with glass for 30 or more years.

To apply for AGI, please send an e-mail to info@glass123.com, with some information about yourself and why you would like to attend. Feel free to send a LINK to some photographs of your work if you want.

*NOTE- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A GLASS MASTER TO ATTEND AGI.
This event is for glass workers of all skill levels and areas of expertise, and every year we have a percentage of people who have little to no experience working with glass.

The cost for this event is $500.00 for the entire week, and it includes propane, oxygen, and 40+ work stations for guests to use to practice what they have learned and to work with others. The guest list is limited to 100 people, and the work shops will be open from 10:00 AM – 2:00 AM every day.

There is free camping available, and a motel which is approximately 10 minutes away from our facility. We provide a cooking area (grills, oven / stove, microwave ovens, etc.) to prepare your own food. There are also several places that will deliver, and a limited menu will include food prepared by our staff.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to call or e-mail us at:

The Glass Blowing Center
114 Leonard Road
Hilliards, Pennsylvania 16040
info@glass123.com
(724) 791-2100

We are located approximately 1-1/2 hours north of Pittsburgh International Airport, and a map can be found on our web page: http://www.glass123.com .

Thanks for listening, and we hope to see you at AGI 2006 :)

Sincerely,
Tom and Elaine Doner (a.k.a. “Mr & Mrs. Wonka”), and Luke Gardner

Here is an article that appeared in THE FLOW MAGAZINE:
http://www.csonline.net/glass/looie.pdf

Here is an article that appeared in GLASSLINE MAGAZINE:
http://www.csonline.net/glass/agi_glassline.doc

*SPECIAL NOTE- In the past, we have accepted deposits to reserve your space. Due to numerous problems we have encountered year after year, full payment is required to obtain a ticket, and we will be accepting payments as of January 1st, 2006. Between prior reservations and new applicants, we estimate that AGI is currently 50% full, and tickets are available on a first come / first served basis.

Royal
12-12-2005, 08:45 PM
sweet its on my b day!! i might have to go for my first time

medicatedMELTDOWN
12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
ohhhhhh i really want to go. it will be my first time also.....

Soul-One Glass
12-12-2005, 09:46 PM
please can i go as well??? it will be my first time too

prairieson
12-12-2005, 11:37 PM
-Tink; Our good friend Tink (a.k.a. Tinkenator, Tinkster, Tinkmeister, Tinkenstein) will be demonstrating some of her unique creations with us. (Subject matter to be announced at a later date)

Not to mention the fact that she's the sole distributor of the now infamous Tinkleberry Juice™, lol. "It's what's for breakfast!"

Vapor Glass
12-13-2005, 08:30 AM
hah! for once in the last 5 years i wont be driving on my bday!!!! yay!!!!! the lineup looks awesome Tom. i cant wait yet again!

steven p selchow
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Nothing like going down the generation tree. Toms hero was Lewis, and his was Bill, so its only fitting. Its going to be nice to see Shane work, I remember about 20 years ago I was in Maderia Beach florida, and saw a place called Christiansen's glass shop, so I stop in, and thats where Shane Fero started, I thought my work was nice until Id seen his on display there, he had a work bench and kinda worked his own hours there, never met him as he wasn't there when I came in, but heard about the shop through a friend up here in Wisconsin, never seen a cross-fire torch until then, and color, it was like I was in the dark ages still working clear, but it was soft glass too. He was doing great sculpture then.

I'd like to see Robert Mickelsen back, i'm sure he had a great time too.

Steve :pimp:

FredLight
12-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Oh, we're down...Heather and I. Been talking about it daily almost.

Kalera
12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Not to mention the fact that she's the sole distributor of the now infamous Tinkleberry Juice™, lol. "It's what's for breakfast!"

This makes me feel very afraid.

Mr. Wonka
12-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Steve- good observation on the "generation tree"- I'm really looking forward to meeting Bill. I've talked to him several times on the phone, and it will be so cool to meet Lewis' hero in person :) I'd also like to see RAM come back... he left a couple of Yuengling's here that need to be finished. Oh, wait... Rex drank them when he was here. (sorry Robin!)

Fred- I hope you and your wife will be able to make it this year. Are you still working for the company that makes the dichro? Rex and I played with some last week and got some cool results... although Rex messed up my torch a bit :mad1:

Kalera- Tinkelberries are fun. I'm thinking about calling them "POYOS" berries... an acronym for "puke on your own shoes" berries. Just ask Brian from Tecnolux- he'll tell you all about them (if he can remember :lol )

Drop me an e-mail if you want to attend- we love to have new people every year. Contrary to popular belief, we don't want the event to turn into some kind of "exclusive club".

steven p selchow
12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah, got me thinking. I wonder if it is at all possible to see where everyone got their beginning and from whom, I bet a lot of familiar names would surface more than once.

borealisglass
12-15-2005, 07:31 AM
We are coming for sure this year. Hey Steve....let me know if you want to car pool, we will have to drive right through the dells.

Mr. Wonka
12-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Sara- I'm looking forward to meeting you guys :)

New addition:

I've been in contact with Andrew Brown (http://www.kbglassworks.com/gallery_products.php?artistID=2) , and we will be adding him to the program with one or more of the following classes:

-electroforming

-technical faceting and reading cut diagrams

-proper photography techniques

-using photoshop for print and web

$$$$$$$
12-15-2005, 10:26 AM
what would andrew brown know about any of that shit?

what's up andrew? where ya been?

andrew brown
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
yo whatsup.. been busy with the new shop... im stoked to go next year.. i met a lot of great people and it was a nice vacation while still doing glass.. ill probly talk and demo about all that jazz and do something color wise with henry again... besides im about 103% topheavy will still be there next year... and maybe daughter #14 is working this time... im gonna start saving to put adam in the hotseat..
hows that hat cupcake?
andrew

Kronk
12-18-2005, 09:56 PM
OMG, My partner (business partner :Tongue: ) said she was going to Italy in August. Crap!!! If it's the same week.....I can't bear to think of it........I might have to hold down the office that week.
(slow motion........) NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'll check in the am.

Line-up looks great!

The article came out sweet! Hey those are some really good pics. Who took those? ;)

I'll call sometime.. You keep catching me when I'm chasing my kid. (I multitask poorly)
Ed

PyroChixRock
12-18-2005, 11:06 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO not that week, you have to be there! You're one of the regulars!

Udai Hussien
12-19-2005, 09:12 AM
not to mention afterhours, I will amaze everyone with my feats of STREGNTH!!!

Mr. Smiley
12-19-2005, 09:48 AM
That's racist! :lol

Mr. Wonka
12-19-2005, 05:42 PM
UPDATE: 12-19-05

It looks like my friend Jean-Marc of Miema (from Belgium) will be attending AGI this year. He is the designer of my torch, a "Jupiter Burner". He will be bringing a few of his other unique burners / torches with him, which can be seen HERE (http://www.miema.com/chalum_det.htm).

These burners all have adjusting knobs which give you multiple flame choices. The Jupiter, for instance, has 31 ports with 6 positions, and you can use 1, 3, 9, 12, 21, or 31 holes. He's also working on a new product which *hopefully* will be ready in time and introduced here at AGI.

My presentation, "Finding new markets" will include at least two new items that Luke and I have been working on. Luke's design (to the best of our knowledge) is not currently being made in boro, and he will give a demonstration as to what the item is, how to make it, and how to market it.

My latest discovery will show you how to use your old points to create an item that will sell for $10 to $15. I will also discuss the marketing strategy, which will include printed material.

This year I will include a segment that will focus on how to make pipes LEGALLY. I will discuss the concepts, techniques, and marketing strategies... and provide you with printed copy of reference materials.

More updates will be posted as they happen. Until then, have a great night :)

Udai Hussien
12-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey tom, I read the rules, it didnt say anything about nude sunbathing, so ladies, I shall supply an assortment of different SPF's for you all *except for cupcake, I ain't fallin for that "it ain't gay to rub lotion on my junk, you're just helping a brother out" *

prairieson
12-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Kalera- Tinkelberries are fun. I'm thinking about calling them "POYOS" berries... an acronym for "puke on your own shoes" berries. Just ask Brian from Tecnolux- he'll tell you all about them (if he can remember :lol ).

And Brian didn't evem eat the berries, all he had was a part of a shot. I don't think I'd ever seen anyone with a trampoline for a stomach lining before, lol!

Mr. Wonka
12-23-2005, 09:40 PM
I forgot about that- Tink and I tried to warm him up with a shot before he ate a "Tinkelberry", but that wasn't happening. His shoes were pink before the shot even hit his stomach.

Question: What did you learn at AGI Bryan?

Answer: Never listen to Tink and Wonka when they offer me a beverage :rollin

Ahhh- memories of a fun filled week... I can't wait until next year :lol

$$$$$$$
12-26-2005, 11:57 PM
tom, you should try to get matt escuke back again, his thin shit is unbelieveable!!!!

Mac Maestro
12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
This year I will include a segment that will focus on how to make pipes LEGALLY. I will discuss the concepts, techniques, and marketing strategies... and provide you with printed copy of reference materials.

Does that mean we can LEGALLY make pipes at AGI this year?
(you knew someone wuz gonna ask)

Mr. Wonka
12-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey Maestro... I figured somebody would ask that. I still don't want to get involved with making pipes at AGI... legal or not. You can take the knowledge home with you and make all the pieces you want- I promise that it will be very eye-opening and provide eveyone with a new direction.

I'm looking forward to seeing the things that people come up with after the show- it should be really cool!

Mr. Whale dick
01-06-2006, 10:42 PM
i bet wonkas gonna tell us where to get those little roses to put in some 9.5 tube...:) :)

Chris Carlson
01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
i thought i saw hasslehoff buying a whole case of those roses at the truck stop??? said they were for his girl?...

steven p selchow
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I gots the cheap plastic ones left over from the 70's..you can have em all.

Sol
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
? now that itsafter the first how close to capacity are you? i was wondering how quickly its filling up?

Mr. Wonka
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Sol.

We have 25 or 30 new people on the e-mail list, and just about everybody from last year wants to come back. With that in mind, we should be full pretty quick.

Also- We're changing the way we do things this year, and we're not taking deposits / payments- the tickets will have to be paid in full to reserve a space and are available on a first come-first served basis. I'll be sending e-mails to all of the new applicants next week, and sending letters out to all of our past guests.

Here's a new thing we're adding to the show:

Barry Lafler will be making a manifold for us so we can do plasma sculptures!!!! The system will be on a rolling cart so we can wheel it around between work stations, and Barry will be on hand to show people how to use it. HOW FRIGGIN COOL IS THAT?!!!

For more information on Plasma sculptures, check out the latest edition of The Flow Magazine (http://www.theflowmagazine.com)

jusbag
01-08-2006, 08:02 PM
damn, that sounds sweet!

Sol
01-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks, that means its crunch time, id like to come,...

rumplephorskin
01-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey Wonka; I am going to urban glass to use their cold working facility fairly soon. If you have a flyer you want on their bulletin board; lemme know. Sounds like you might not need the promotion but if you want it.....

medicatedMELTDOWN
01-13-2006, 05:19 PM
hey Tom, just wondering if you got my email a few days ago?

Mr. Wonka
01-13-2006, 09:07 PM
medicatedMELTDOWN..... You've got mail!

rumple- let me know when you're going, and I'll make up a flyer for you. Thanks for the offer :)

rumplephorskin
01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Ill do it just as soon as I have MY ticket :rollin Prolly like the third week of february.

FredLight
01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
we're watching the mailbox now!!!!

Mr. Wonka
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Fred, your invitations went in the mail today :)

IF-Designs
01-31-2006, 09:24 AM
DId someone say Hasselhoff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi2CfuqcUGE

but anyway I would love to come Ive wanted to go every year since ive been glassworking butit always seems the financial gods conspire against me!

GGB
01-31-2006, 10:22 AM
BaHHaaHaaHaa.Roflmao...

carlsmarblesbeadsetc
02-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Man this sux. I cant come cuz 500.00 is like a bunch of funds for me. And im broke. :( ........ Tom give me a call. Its been a long bit OF Time bro.~~~ Everyone Have a ton o fun at A.G.I. This year. Do eat all u can and eat my portion in my stead. Thanks.

Carl~~~ In the Light of Love other gifts may flower but Love is the Only Power.~~~

Udai Hussien
02-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Hot Karl Lives!!!

Cold Seal
02-06-2006, 04:37 PM
and surprise surprise....

im gonna sell my hot head to get there.
quick $500, anyone want it???
ill even throw in a mandrel
and a striker

shelton13
02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
I've been selling ass and NOW I have my golden ticket!!! Boy is my BUTT sore.

Sol
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
hmmmm maybe i should peddle some ass too...since i cant find and extra 500 layin around,,,wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Sebastian
02-12-2008, 10:56 PM
original post (http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30604)

What an awesome experience. I sure hope to make it again. Mr. Wonka offers a truly one of a kind event. A real life changer. Hope to see you again Tom and Elain.

Primathon
02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Um... This thread is two years old...

UmaJulz
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
What do you bet that others will still feel the need to pipe up and add their two cents worth?

:D Happens every year, doesn't it?

yinzer
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
just for that, im adding my two cents(months later, cause i rarely look through the agi forum and saw it was on the first page)....
apparently sol has a hard time selling ass...huh, go figure