PDA

View Full Version : John Kaboki is heading to Az

HDGlassArt
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Went to Kaboki's site to drool over some of his work and found out that he is visiting Sonora glass art academy in Tuscon AZ in the beginning of April. I did a bit more research on it, and found he is teaching a 3 day class in his famous flower implosions. Classes are 450 a person and my wife and I want to go like badly.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested...

Natedizzle
01-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Kobuki.

Blade
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Kobuki. . .

Blade
01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I highly recommend this class after seeing John's teaching style here in Colorado.

hwcglass
01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
John is an experience teacher, he puts together a great class.

Bruce Dille
01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
He is a great teacher and speaker,I regret not taking notes on how to do the jellyfish when he was at AGI ,If any one has notes and diagrams on the procedure i would love to have a copy,Also I would see his class again if given the chance(I was ill at the time and was coughing so I was in and out of the class so I didnt disturb things) some of the cleanest work ive seen is his and the terminations are a big part of that.

STROKER
01-09-2011, 11:20 AM
im staring at two of his mibs right now,wowowowow.
i got a uv jelly that is sooo wicked fuckin cool and a super sweet floral as well.

the work is impecable and as blade and bruster said he is really an excellent teacher with the ability to convey his thoughts to words very well.
bruce i do have a jelly diagrahm in my notes somewhere, i will try and find it in the next few days. have no clue where my agi notepad is but i have it in this pile of shit somewhere.

i would not pass on his class if you are interested in tightening up your mib game.

john is a super nice guy too so that is a bonus when picking his brain at one of his classes.

Emmett's Glass
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Take his class if you can. What more can I say that hasn't been said? My work got way cleaner after spending time with him yrs ago.
E

hwcglass
01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I was a TA for him a many years back here and I had the best time watching the student's faces.

All of the students were very experienced lampworkers, the least experienced person had been flameworking for 7 or eight years.

John would explain what he was going to do and then do it, make a small compression marble, each student would look at the other students and you could see what they were thinking, "That's it? That's all he does?"

And they would go to their benches, execute the project and they all came out looking like crap. That is to say absolutely nothing like John's.

And so he would give another demo. And the students would again look at each other and be like, "That's it? That's all he does? What the hell?"

And they would go back to their benches. And make something half as nice as John's. And John would give a demo. And they would look confused. And John would give a demo. And they would look confused.

It was wonderful to watch. The students were all reinvigorated with the magic of glass and inspired by the simple beauty of a technique mastered.

I don't care if you have been lampworking 40 years. You will find John a pleasure to watch.

You see him do what he does and your like, "Okay, I can do that. No problem." And then you do it and it looks like crap and you are like, "Dude. This MF and his GD compression marbles."

Braden Hammond
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
He make da magic in marble!

HDGlassArt
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I was a TA for him a many years back here and I had the best time watching the student's faces.

All of the students were very experienced lampworkers, the least experienced person had been flameworking for 7 or eight years.

John would explain what he was going to do and then do it, make a small compression marble, each student would look at the other students and you could see what they were thinking, "That's it? That's all he does?"

And they would go to their benches, execute the project and they all came out looking like crap. That is to say absolutely nothing like John's.

And so he would give another demo. And the students would again look at each other and be like, "That's it? That's all he does? What the hell?"

And they would go back to their benches. And make something half as nice as John's. And John would give a demo. And they would look confused. And John would give a demo. And they would look confused.

It was wonderful to watch. The students were all reinvigorated with the magic of glass and inspired by the simple beauty of a technique mastered.

I don't care if you have been lampworking 40 years. You will find John a pleasure to watch.

You see him do what he does and your like, "Okay, I can do that. No problem." And then you do it and it looks like crap and you are like, "Dude. This MF and his GD compression marbles."

That's f'in funny. Me and my wife are both going. Were very excited, as we're both VERY new to glass, less than a year. Hopefully we might be able to learn some new techs, and talk to other glass artist as we know none in our area.

HDGlassArt
01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
i keep trying to tell my husband it's Kobuki not Kaboki but he's confused, still can't wait to go!!!!!