PDA

View Full Version : Smell propane when using foot pedal

derekg0
01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I've got a rock-it 05 foot pedal and have been using this for a couple months now. It seems like when turning the outer fire on and off multiple times I smell propane. The first coupe times i did this, i kinda freaked out, and shut down, checked all my lines and connections with soapy water... no leaks...

I'm wondering since this is a mechanical switch, if during the on/off movement if some propane would/could escape, it seems to be more prevalent when I am shutting the outer fire off, so could there be some gas escaping the foot pedal? the smell seems to be under my bench, so that would kinda make sense.

Just wondering if i should be really concerned about this, or if it's normal for a small amount of propane to get out? it doesn't smell very concentrated, but the smell is strong enough to be easily noticeable, and it seems to dissipate over time afterwords. Also this doesn't seem to happen all the time, but at least once or twice every time I'm on the torch, maybe I'm not switching it fast enough, perhaps i should use more force instead of just gently rocking it?

Any advice, or comments are appreciated,
Thanks,
Derek

..SGL..
01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
I have the same pedal you do and I never smell propane from mine. I took a class from a guy that had a 7 or 8 year old Rock-it 05 no gas smell there either. I hate to tell you this but I would send it back to Griffin to get serviced. The pedal should be completely gas tight.
gas smell is bad. Sorry

derekg0
01-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks SGL, i'll take it out and make sure i don't get any of the smell without it and if that works fine i'll give them a call!

Thanks,
Derek

..SGL..
01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
No problem, we got to try and keep everybody safe;-)

somewhere
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Soapy water in spray bottle. It shouldn't be hard to find the leak.

derekg0
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
i checked all the hoses and joints with soapy water, so... i think it's inside the box...

derekg0
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
also, it only happens to smell when switching the pedal... i wish it was a leaky fitting or hose.

Shatner
01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I've used SGL's Rock It and like he mentioned, there's no propane smell.

If you've checked all the connections and can't find anything I'd start eleminating other things. Sure it's not coming from a torch valve? Not sure why it would, but anything's possible.

derekg0
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I got an email to the manufacturer, I'll be taking the foot pedal out to eliminate the possibility of that being the problem, but before i do that i will double check all the connections to the pedal with the soapy water, I don't think i tried doing that while switching the pedal, so I'll be sure to do that as well.

I'll just run the torch without the pedal for a while, which is going to suck after having it since I got the phantom, but I'll deal, it'll probably get me to save gas by not using the outer fire as much. :-)

If there is no more propane smell while using the torch normally at that point, I'll have to send back the pedal and get it fixed, unless they get back to me with something to check for or a seal of some sort to replace myself.

I really appreciate all your responses and PM's, I definitely understand the concerns with propane(my wife would kill me if something happened and i wasn't already dead). The only reason I've continued using it is that it will happen maybe once an hour or so, depending on what I'm doing, and the smell is faint, and only lasts a minute, the first few times i took that minute to shutdown and then do a full check of the lines and connections, each time not finding anything. Worth another check tonight to see what i find before I go tearing it all apart.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and PM's, I do love this board, you guys are awesome! I am no expert, but I definitely have come a long way with only books, DVDs, and this forum, and without the forum i think I'd be banging my head against my bench a lot more!

Peace,
Derek

Dom
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Same thing happened with my Smutboy Pedal.

After a while I started smelling propane coming from the torch box.

Not sure what the part is called but one of the solenoids was had a loose nut or something, tightened it up and never had a problem since then.

LTD
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Same thing happened with my Smutboy Pedal.

After a while I started smelling propane coming from the torch box.

Not sure what the part is called but one of the solenoids was had a loose nut or something, tightened it up and never had a problem since then.

NPT to barbed hose union?

derekg0
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
thanks for the input Dom i'll check the NPT fittings on the box to be sure they are tight as well

HiAltitude
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Got the same Rock-It 05 foot pedal, and a propane detector on the wall under my bench. Never smell propane, and the foot pedal has never set off the detector.

Good luck! Please let us know what the cause turns out to be.

derekg0
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
ok, i checked all the lines on the box, found a tiny oxy leak, but no propane... definately leaking from inside the box i think. My nose stopped working after a while, so i'll do a little more testing over the weekend...

RamblezMarblez
01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Remember that propane sinks and will accumulate in the lowest spot in the studio. Hopefully not near any propane heaters.

B-Rye-oNeR
01-21-2011, 06:49 AM
did u try tightening the bolts that attach the hoses to the box, (the big ones on top)

derekg0
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I did try tightening those bolts, they seem real tight. Slick, thanks, i don't have any ignition sources nearby.

It seems to only be when i've go the outer fire on, it's just a really slow leak, so i probably didn't notice it till i shut it off afterwords... I got an email reply from Griffin and they said it could just need the propane valve replaced, sounds like something they would send me the part to fix, or i could send it back, so i'll give them a call monday and get the part and give it a shot. I'll post an update when i have more info, thanks again everyone, i say it every post, but i really mean it, you guys are a great help!

peace,

Derek

Dom
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey Derek, that is what I mean, the propane valve was loose on the inside, I tightened it up and no problems.