PDA

View Full Version : eye protection

Crimson.king
02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
well i posted my first post about a week ago or so and i got alot of replies and alot having to do with eye protection. now i had done my research and had planned to get some but had no idea what to get come to find out what i had planned to get was EXACTLY what i didnt need lol...SO ive looked more and found some green ace ir glasses http://www.sundanceglass.com/didymiumsr.htm i was thinking about the shade 5 goggles for 155 now i understand that i need the best protection but are these going to be overkill? can i go cheaper with anything on that page or should i just go with those? well ty again for all your input im looking forward to it im really enjoying doing all the research to get all this under way :)

p.j.
02-05-2011, 09:16 AM
green ace 3 or 5. 3 if you are gonna work with smaller stuff, not much color and no metal fuming. 5 if you are gonna work big, colored or fumed

Forche
02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I use 5's on the lathe but i like 3's better for benchwork - GOOD splits are awesome tho. You could get away with those $85 saftey frames shade 3, but are not the most comfortable if working for hours. Good luck!

Crimson.king
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
ok well i think the 5 goggles are what im gonna go with i like the way they look anyway lol ty guys again for all yuor help

Cornbread
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I've never tried the splits. but If you're in question as to what to get. I'll share my experience.

When I was in your seat figuring out what glasses to buy, I found out through forums and through my own research. I came down to shade 3 or 5. I bought shade 3 and they just were not dark enough. I still got migraines and knew i was eating my eye balls up with hot glass. I have pretty sensitive eyes by nature, so I decided to not hesitate after only a few sessions with shade 3. I bought shade 5 and that solved the migraine problem, BUT.....I couldn't see jack squat!

I was told to put as much light as reasonably possible above my bench. It actually constricts your pupils more (like when you walk outside in the sun). This constriction helps to protect your eyes because it lets in less harmful rays. By going darker shade and more light, you're putting mother nature to work for you.

I recommend shade 5, add light to your bench, and go from there. I also want to add this (and this is more personal preference than anything else): Go for a frame that keeps light from coming in through the top and bottom and sides of the frame. I actually bought the biker frame because it "seals" out the light. But if you're thinking of going with goggles, you may not have to worry about that unless the goggle frame is transparent.

I've been told this: You only get 1 set of eyes in your life, don't screw them up by skimping on proper protection.

cornbread

smolder holder
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Good advise guys. I bought my son a pair of didys so he could start to watch and do stuff at the torch with me but I have found them to be not quite enough protection. I'll need to invest in some goggles for him soon.

Headdi Retti's Glass Art Studio
02-05-2011, 05:48 PM
3's for Boro is Not Enough! Definitely stick with the 5's. They are not overkill, Get the 5's period.

Swampy
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Shade 3 Phillips from Generations Glass here.

Campy
02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I use phillips didiniums with welding shade 3, wouldnt want anythingdarker

Master Yoda
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I got split 2/5. Def like it, If I had to choose one I would go with the 5 thou, really depends how much time u put in though

STROKER
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
been using 3's for 3 years but here lately since i have stared doing bigger melts on a constant, my fuckin eyes ache. i am gettin shade 5's and a blast shield.

i work with 300 watts of light directly overhead to help make up for seeing through the dark lens and can see just fine.

if you are only doing small stuff, the 3's will be enough but if you melt large masses of glass with big outer flame you may be underestimating the amount of darkness you need.

Swampy
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah I should have added I also put on 3/5 for bigger stuff especially cobalt.

02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes I guess it could be different for everyone, I see thru 5's just fine just wearing them like sun glasses but I have light blue/hazel eyes and they are very sensitive to light anyways. And all the artist I talked to at time recommend 5's for boro so thats what Iam basing it on!. Buy your experience may be different I would still recommend 5's especially of its the only pair your gonna get, sodium glare is a bitch. And get the best you can afford!.

FireFlame Glass
02-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Anyone out there use the shade 4.....

gn0me
02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone out there use the shade 4.....

I do - shade 4 from Phillips. It's nice but very little difference from shade 3. Still feel like I need a split lens or some clip-ons when working huge masses of color, but they're great for smaller work.

l33t:weasel
02-06-2011, 04:19 PM
i use 0/5 splits.. i have a fealing its not enough recently. im thinking 3/5's 3/6 or 4/6.. or solid 5 or 6. just something darker, i work long days with big stuff. i fume with my eyes closed ever since i started useing quartz rod. i know a couple people who have switched to shade 6 and they are happy with it.

you know what your looking at, especially if your doing prodo, you've seen it enough times before.

the darker shades are not as hard to see through as you might think, provided your eyes havent been flashed with anything real bright recently. i think splits make you think a shade 5 is darker than it really is because your always peaking thru the other part.

Cornbread
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I got split 2/5. Def like it, If I had to choose one I would go with the 5 thou, really depends how much time u put in though

are you saying shade 2 on top and shade 5 on bottom? where would you find something like that? is there a 3/5?

Forche
02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
yes and 3/5 GOOD splits are the best imo.........http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=433_17_257_261

I keep sayin Good because sometimes they have a small space in between the two different shades and the flare can get to you sometimes

BLOB
02-07-2011, 01:37 AM
I just bought some glasses from Wale that they claim are the equivilant of Philips with all the protection we need. And they were only $50. I know what you're thinking, how can you get all the protection you need for $50! Well, can you say "made in China!" They are nice though, with either shade 3 or 5.

sleepingpeople
02-07-2011, 02:52 AM
i have a shade 2 philips green ace safety, should i upgrade? i tried some 3's somewhere once at they seemed a bit dark, i think i could use the 3's now though maybe. .

Master Yoda
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey cornbread, they where custom auroras, I wanted to go as light as I could to see diff shades of striking n whatnot without having to move the pc, closer to a light source

l33t:weasel
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
its not a bad idea to have 2 sets of glasses either, one dark one for the production u might as well not look at anyways. and another lighter set for times u need to see colors and small detail.

S.HY.
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
you need at least a shade 3 if your doing boro work. but honestly shade 5 isn't that dark compared to my welding gear

02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Blob,Thx for that . I've got Boroscopes #5, 703B there Awesome but might get another set at that price for small and detailed, short term work.

BLOB
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Hey no sweat. They sent me a random flyer and I was like, whoa, that's cheap.. They seem to have good protection and my wife loves how they fit. Nice and lite. They only had a few styles though. But hey! Fifty bucks! Chock another up for the chinese man.

SYNlatheman
02-08-2011, 01:24 AM
I have personally used both 3 and 5 for extended periods and i finally settled on shade 4 phillips i love them for the lathe plan to stick with that shade. My boss Dawnk Lester uses shade 5 and so do others i work with, however Fat Mike our bench leader and another top lathe guy use super light shade like 2's i think there crazy but its all about what is the best match for you.