03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.glassrootsartshow.com/

Glassroots Art Show
Madison, WI
The Monona Terrace
November 1-4, 2011

Flame-Off November 1-2
Wholesale Buying November 3-4

The Glassroots Art Show is an annual event supporting the community-driven movement of American Made Functional Glass.

The Flame-Off is free and open to the public!

It is unlike any other glassblowing competition in that the teams are male/female.

12 male/female teams are partnered up to create their interpretation of a functional glass piece, and will be competing over two days for $10,000 cash and a whole lot more in prizes. There will be live music and Will "Boxfan" Menzies is there to help explain what you are watching while it is going on. This is your opportunity to see some amazing glass be made in an awesome environment!

http://www.glassrootsartshow.com/

The Art Show:

90 Booths representing the Midwest and beyond. Vendors are artists representing their own work, shops with production lines, galleries representing a few artists, raw material suppliers, and tool makers. It is the Glassroots mission to connect the buyer directly to the artists, and limit what is being sold to pure functional glass art. As a buyer or artist, you won’t have to walk through all the extra “stuff” in order to find some high quality glass art at the best prices possible.

Please visit the website for updated event information, to register as a buyer, or to see the list of vendors and sponsors. If you are interested in vending, please fill out the contact form on the vendor page @ www.glassrootsartshow.com or email contact info to info@glassrootsartshow.com.

OracleGlassArts
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
not gonna miss it this time!

J Howard
03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
is this primarily an all pipes show?

Boozeclues
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM

I think so.

Its on my birthday and only a 2 hr drive. woot woot

jedi glassworks
03-20-2011, 08:26 AM
I can't wait! its gonna be great!

Icarus
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Awesome! Spiralout, give me a ring again this year, I'm definitely interested in helping out again.

loco
03-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Yes, but there will be a few glass vendors as well. See you there! :bouncy::bouncy:

daveabr
03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
J......you should come hang out. Should be a good time again.

Boss
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
it is almost all functional glass art pipes there and its a lot of fun. if you miss it then you miss out big! lots of cool cats there also. we will be there in the same booth space as last year. peace, BOSS.

GrindrodGlass
06-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I think it just needs to be functional art, not necessarily smokable art, cuz last year Jes was there with some really sick salt shakers and other shit like that, but I think you will have better luck selling glass pipes, as the primary consumers there are headshops and pipe retailers. I cant wait to see all the sick new shit people have made since last year! I live in Madison so i got it real good and will be there all day every day!

spiralout
06-08-2011, 06:16 PM
It only needs to be boro to be in the show. my hopes are to one day knock down the what is art and not art and functional and not functional and legal and illegal wall and have a boro show with all of it together. this will then make it much easier for the galleries to succeed in this downside economy.

budman8778
06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Is the contest invite only?

spiralout
06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
contest as in the flame-off? sort of... next year will be more vendor orientated participation in the flame-off.

FizZle
06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
...is there gonna be a boro furnace demo? that would be really awesome if there was

spiralout
06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
it sounds like there will be two demos. one with GA and one with NS.

jac1961
06-11-2011, 05:17 AM
I've been thinking about adding some pipes to my collection and this is def close enough to me... might try to attend. I take it that individual buyers are welcome, not just retailers?

Are you going to have a list of artists that will be there?

Ooops, just went to your site and found the vendors list... my bad.

spiralout
06-11-2011, 06:50 AM
If you are not a retailer, the only way to get in this year is to buy one of the 50 vip badges that gives you access to everything that the show has to offer including front row seats at the flame off, after party tickets, signed poster by all of the artists in competition, t shirt and of course access to the show room floor. you will still have to pay retail and will stick out with a different kind of id badge. but this allows the serious collectors to come and enjoy the show as well.

gongshow
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Fur sure getting vip again worth it, it was so nice to be able to Sit down and watch this awesome flame off.. And it is very cool to have a poster autographed by all artist.

Spiralout pm coming at ya

IndiePendent
06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
whats the price on vip badges?

spiralout
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
still working it all out but it will either be 75 or 100 and will pay for itself like last year.

Aymie
06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
As far as vending goes, what kind of promotion are you doing this year? I know many vendors have walked away unhappy, two years in a row.

spiralout
06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
With an almost complete return of vendors from last year and at least 3/4s of them in the same booth as last year. I am unsure how to answer that question. Many vendors have told me that they have never done better at another show. Over half sold their entire booth at the show. I do not plan on changing much from last year to this year with the exception of cutting out the retail day.

To answer your question Aymie, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and hope that over time the show grows into a profitable experience for all involved.

I hope you had fun on your trip up to Madison last year having gone home with a new GTT Delta Elite.

jedi glassworks
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Again, I love your show and can't wait to go again.

If a show that had a huge blizzard and crappy weather can still rock out for its first go around, second was even better, then I can't wait to see what happens at the Glassroots Art Show V.3.0!

Bryan

Aymie
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I had a great time. Can't tell if you were trying to be snotty or not with that comment. I hope the show goes well for everyone this year.

And I didn't vend, but I had friends who did and were not thrilled with the results. Glad to hear some people were.

You didn't really answer my question about what kind of promoting you are doing. Are you advertising anywhere other than here?

spiralout
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
There has been a link up for over a year on both glassdistrict and boromarket.com, I have been a sponsor here for over a year, there has been a link up with my show on glasspipes.org for over a year right on the top of the page.
I have had two ads in the flow with two more that will run starting this fall.
I sponsored the AGE show, was there in a room and walking around handing out flyers to every buyer I met.
I am a top sponsor for the DFO and will continue to be.
I sponsored the last Colorado Project and will continue to sponsor their event.
I personally call every shop listed in the head shop finder.
There will be two mailings of over 2,000 shops that will receive a flyer with info for the show.
I also give fliers to many of my vendors to send out with their orders to shops.

It takes time to build a show that only features glass. If I were to do a show with all of the other things that make a head shop a head shop and not a glass shop then I think it would be more appealing to more shops. My goal is to not bring in all of the shops looking to buy cheap glass or import glass but to bring in the buyers looking for good amerikan glass.

Not to brag, but can you show me another show that sponsors that much stuff and advertises that many places? I really do not like marketing and believe in word of mouth so that is the reason I put my money into helping out other organizations instead of tricky flyers.

As for those who did not do well last year. Some booths had no organization and no catalog, with glass just laying flat on their table. If you are not an artist representing your own stuff then this show is hard for you to do well unless you are organized and have a steady product line.

As for there being SOME vendors who were thrilled, I would say most were thrilled or at least happy.
I hope that answers all of it for you Aymie. No I was not being snotty, I work really hard and cannot make all happy.

Nick

A.I.
06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
This will be my first time attending any show and I am really looking forward to it! I really don't know what to expect but at the very least it will be cool to meet a bunch of talented artists.... and hopefully sell a lot of glass.

J Howard
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
i'm still pissed i can't go!

daveabr
06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
we'll miss y a J!

maybe next time

Boozeclues
08-04-2011, 12:13 AM
still working it all out but it will either be 75 or 100 and will pay for itself like last year.

Any update on this? what do you mean "It will pay for itself like last year"?

only 50 people that aren't vendors or wholesale buyers are allowed?

Im not vending, I just want to go and hangout, meet people, look at peoples work and watch the flameoff

spiralout
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
What I mean by this is that you will receive merchandise, after party tickets and access that you otherwise would not be granted. VIP passes will be $80 and go on sale at the end of the week. If you do not want access to the vending, the flame off is free to anyone.

spiralout
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
VIP passes to this years Glassroots Art Show are now available for purchase.

Passes will be $100 and include a 100% organic t-shirt, a signed poster by all of the flame-off artists, access to any after parties, access to front and center roped off seating for the flame-off and your pass also grants you entrance on the two wholesale days. Also if the industry dinner does not sell out to vendors and buyers, I will ask in order of VIP pass purchase if you would like to buy a dinner spot for this event.

These passes are limited in number and did sell out last year.

For information on payment please send me a pm and I will send you the pay pal address.