PDA

View Full Version : New Posts link is down

kage
06-12-2011, 12:32 PM
or is it just me?

mer
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
i think it's a personal thing. try asking it about it's feelings, maybe make some tea.

kage
06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
when i click the new posts link at the top it goes to

vBulletin msg - no search matches my criteria

just me? hmmm... guess i'll boil some tea and read it a love story?

Icarus
06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Any chance you are using google chrome now? I've had a little website weirdness with chrome on this site.

kage
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
man...i don't know..don't think so? i wish i weren't compu-tard, but i am. explorer made us update to 9 or something. i was hoping it wasn't related but guess so.

kage
06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1781978

this is the url it takes me to ^

RedToroBoro
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Try to clear all your cache history and cookies. Then try. Or try to re-boot and see if it still happens. Have you also tried to log off then back on again?

Just a few things to try.

kage
06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
thanks rtb ^ that was it.
not cookies though, i had to delete the complete history

lern sumthin new erday

somewhere
06-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes happens all the time with safari. If I just restart the browser it seems to work.

RedToroBoro
06-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Cool, glad I could help

Bo Diddles
06-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Happens for me on my iPhone once in awhile.

Emmett's Glass
06-13-2011, 07:02 AM
I had to switch to chrome and firefox to read this forum on my comps with IE 9, I've tried wiping the history and everything it dosen't do anthing but take me to the same link. Chrome and firefox both suck balls on my comps.
E

kage
06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
glad to know i'm not the only one.

it was fine last night, now its doing it again.
arrgh

PyroChixRock
06-14-2011, 01:31 AM
easiest way to test things like that is to switch to a dif browser for a sec to look. glad you found it. :)

Slimy-E
06-17-2011, 10:14 PM
man has been happening to me for months! hardly see whats going on in here any more

Kato
06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
my iphone does this daily, very fusterating..

somewhere
06-18-2011, 12:15 AM
If the new posts doesn't work for ya hit the quick links then today's posts that will at least give you the last 24hrs.

kage
06-18-2011, 01:39 PM
thanks sky, that just worked.

i even uninstalled the new explorer, shit was super buggy, and its still not letting me see the new posts.

kage
11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
this is still happening...i havn't been able to check new posts for some time. used to be the first thing i clicked.

Kato
11-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Clear your cache history and cookies. You were failing the second Internet Explorer entered the mix.

Also of you have to had this problem on your iPhone like I did: update to iOS5 and turn on privet browsing for safari (located in settings). I haven't had any issues since the update :)

Julian
11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
That's odd, I don't know why there's be a problem with New Posts and IE in particular. It shouldn't be affected by which browser you're using.

When it's not working, what exactly happens? You get a page saying there are no new posts to view, or something else?

jac1961
11-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I occasionally have that happen to me at work too, but can't remember the message I get. The odd thing is that I also get center justified text too... in the list of threads and PM's. We're running Windows 7 and IE.

Julian
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I've seen an erroneous message that there are no new posts. Usually logging out and logging back in clears it up.

Those 'new post' searches are cached for a certain amount of time, too so they're not always accurate until you get the next refresh.

Emmett's Glass
11-26-2011, 05:55 AM
When it's not working, what exactly happens? You get a page saying there are no new posts to view, or something else?

This:

jac1961
11-26-2011, 07:59 AM
^^^ Yep, that's exactly what I get at work too.

kage
11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
^^ yes, thats what i get too.. todays posts shows the same thing. logging out and back in does nothing...we're on Internet Explorer... no iphone

Kato
11-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Clear your cache history and cookies.

:o:

Julian
11-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks EmmettZilla, I figured that's the screen. Since the search is something that is done server side, I can't think of any way it would be related to which browser you're using, other than that perhaps IE is doing something different with cookies or cache. Generally, there's no excuse for using Internet Explorer other than that you are over 50, live within 30 miles of Redmond, WA, are a zombie, or are at work. I'll try checking it out in IE and see if I notice anything unusual.

Every once in a while, a search brings back more results than the web server instance can handle with it's memory maximum. Tweaking settings there may yield some results, let's see...

One thing to try, have you done 'mark all posts as read'? That would start your new posts list over, which could clear this up.

Any minor issues we have like this will be absolutely changed by the coming upgrade to VBulletin 4, which ideally will be before the end of the year! Sending the staff tequila or precious metals is always a possibility.

kage
11-27-2011, 09:41 AM
kato, i did that the first time i brought this up. it worked for a day, but everything else i log into went whack, lost all my passwords etc. then it kept showing me the same results for a couple days, then went back to doing the same thing its doing right now.

julian, i see mark all forums read, but where is mark all posts as read?

Julian
11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry, that's what I meant - Mark All Forums Read. It's actually dealing with posts so I'm not sure why they call it that. Resetting that might make it work, anyhow.

Interesting that you said it was showing the same posts for a few days. Note that New Posts redirects to a certain search with an ID, like http://www.talkglass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1972347
For a certain amount of time after you view it, rather than doing a new search it will redirect to that same saved search (I suppose for efficiency). Above the first post, on the right it says something like "Search took 0.04 seconds; generated 1 minute(s) ago.". I wonder what that page was saying. Of course, if the page is cached on your end, that number would be wrong anyway.

Doing something like caching the result of search.php?do=getnew as the page it redirects to, the search page with the specific ID like search.php?searchid=1972347 is something I'd expect Internet Explorer to do. IE has always dealt with caching in a rather flawed way (it loves to reuse outdated data).

Clearing your cache (temp. internet files) should take care of that, though and if you don't do that frequently, I'd recommend starting to do so... it shouldn't affect any passwords you have saved in a password manager, but yes, clearing your cookies will log you out of any sites you're currently signed into.

Wait, you haven't cleared your cookies and cache? That's highly likely to fix this for you.

kage
11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
cool, i clicked your link and it does the same thing btw....

i'll try the clearing the cache

Julian
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
That makes sense, that example link would normally show you no results. It's a search saved for my account, and searches like that aren't viewable by other members for privacy.

kage
11-27-2011, 10:25 AM
thanks julian, its working at the moment. (high five!)