PDA

View Full Version : torchin in jamaica

dr chainsaw jones
01-23-2006, 06:22 AM
i have a building in martha brae, jamaica, half an hour east (car ride, $1.50) from montego bay, about an hour west of ocho rios. the downstairs is retail space, but the upstairs is a very nice apartment with a bedroom, living room, balcony, dining room, bathroom , and kitchen. (i dont have pics to post right now, but will have some nice ones at the end of march).
since august i've been working on setting up a couple of work stations and getting everything needed (graphite plates, tools, torches, regs..yada yada) to torch smoothly in place.
im not there as much as i'd like to be, so im planning on renting out the upstairs to guests who'd be interested in immersing themselves in local jamaican culture, and perhaps enjoying some torch time while they're at it.
the house is at the crossroads in martha brae, has a big yard with bananna, nisberries, sour orange, and breadfruit trees. 'tis a very convenient location, local cabs (the way to travel if you dont rent a whip) can be caught across the street...
there's acouple of small markets that have most stuff you'd need, otherwise a .50 cent cab ride into falmouth ( big local center) would find you anything else you need.
it's about 2 miles from the beach
negril is about an hour and half ride, that shouldnt cost more than 16 bones round trip.
my friends (who are themslelves learnin how to lampwork) would be happy to guide folks around, show em the realms. take care of amenities, and if you'd like, chef up jamaican style (veggie or omnivorous)
i've had a couple of friends come and visit there... noones wanted to leave.
i should mention... if you were to be there and make some glass items that could be sold (and im sure you could) i could arrange to buy them from you or provide a consigment space in the retaill realm.
rates will vary depending on how many folks would be there at once, whther or not use of the glass shop is required, and if you'd like to have a guide, or cook available...
starting around $40 (us) per night for the 1st occupant.
you could comfortably sleep 8 folks if peeps dont mind sleeping on the floor, and we have hammocks outback.
i've spent a lot of time there, have many good friends and family there, and dont know of anything that would worry the traveling mind. especially since i've set up the glass shop folks down there are loving it...and they always ask me to bring and send friends down.
so anyone interested, please email me, and we can work out details...
mandingojunction@gmail.com
or call 617 548 3631
blessins and mannas!

borealisglass
01-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Mmmm Jamaica....wish I could take you up on your offer!

slinger
01-23-2006, 12:55 PM
damn dude, sounds dope!!!!!!!!

misticglass
01-24-2006, 12:42 AM
WHATS UP OLIE!! wonderin where youve been. i might have to come out to jamaica one day n chill with you mon. hope you can make it to the RI reggae fest at least this summer it wont be the same without you.

morgan

dr chainsaw jones
01-25-2006, 06:39 AM
yeah man, was just talkin to those kids bought setting up a demo.
i've been back and forth a lot and im headed down for til the end of march.
cheap CHEAP fares from spirit airlines (179 round trip)
right now we got a national, a bench bummer and a cc, carryin the delta for a jaunt this time

come to the island...... the island

mannas hada

ebonysglass
01-26-2006, 06:26 AM
can the economy support a glass blower in jamaica? never been, dad goes every year, he always talks about how poor the country is,

does anyone know if/how you could get a blue mountain coffee tree? seriously! I would be more than happy to buy one but, cant find one. I think jamaicas government wont let the strain leave the country because it will affect their economy...?

dr chainsaw jones
01-27-2006, 07:46 AM
i reckon it comes down to, how hard do you want to work

tough , if not impossible, or illegal even, to get plants in and out... hell, they took my oranges last time.

coconut trees too, i asked a friend if i shouldnt just dig one up from along the road side to plant in my yard, he said "dem lahk you up"

zigs
01-27-2006, 09:16 AM
i want it...

Mac Maestro
01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
SO what do they call a white boy with dreadlocks on Jam rock?

Is it "bounty boy"?

If not, what is a bounty boy?

dr chainsaw jones
01-29-2006, 01:24 PM
bounty boy...? dunno, do you think maybe it's "batty bwai"
never heard bounty boy.....
dem nah like da batty bwai...im afraid to even say, lest i be scorned for political incorrectitude.... (m'lady say's she doesnt think incorretitudes a real word..heheh, broads)

not quite sure how folks who find themselves attracted to folks who share similar facets of biological necessities for reproducing like to be referred to..hell, they wont even let the kids settle down together...
white folks with dreads?
i hear "white man' alot...my freinds four year old son, first thing he says when i meet him "white man, whats all that shit in yer pockets?"
they got heaps of names...
depends on the vibe, shady and other unsavory types get lumped under wolf, rasta-tute, pretendin-jamaican, crap locks',, just like natives with dreads.
lwhen i was there last my friends were callin me 'santiago' for some reason

Mac Maestro
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
You're hilarious, Olie. (broads)
haha.

I was misinformed 'bout the 'bounty boy' thing
Thanks for clearing that up

I'm definitely trying to come down this summer.
You're so close, I could almost take a boat.
I hope dialect lessons are included...

CitizenNot
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
dont forget the fakin jamaican, and the rasta imposta.
i never got hell for it, but im a girl...i get lines like "hey lady, u wan mi to plan mi seed to grow wit de locks?" thats a classic one. it might not work, but its quite possibly the most upfront pickup line ive heard.

dr chainsaw jones
02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
hehehe rasta imposta...
...and how could you resist a free jamaican baby? im insisting my lady carry back at least three
there's actually a club around the corner from the place that has strippers on weekend nights... one of them offered me the discount, i insisted that i was the one who would be paid.... oh man, then there's this roofy toofy ho in negril that somehow seems to be most places i go.. she'll walk the length of a mile trying to get a john... "ill suck you, dont you want me to suck you"
7/8ths in jest i said, "suuuure..... for a dollar" ( i mean, she is toothless)
she said "us dollar"
i said "no honey, we're in jamaica, jamaican dollar"
she hasnt bothered me since
there's 55 jamaican dollars in a us dollar

dr chainsaw jones
04-09-2006, 07:45 AM
branchin out...
so house in martha brae fades into the background and we come upon new house (old place was more of an flat, upstairs from retail stuff downstairs)
this spot is nahcye
5 bedrooms, four bathrooms... bigger yard... very quite
towns called "Zion"
5 mins from old place... so much more peaceful
shop there as well as opportunity in fun town, negril, on the beach, brought regs , torch and tools, and a big box of glass.
can dial a room from $25 to $100, how comfortable ya wanna be?
last ten nights i went from the bar to a hammock...a five foot journey.

dr chainsaw jones
06-25-2006, 11:10 AM
goin back this week for reggae festival in kingston, linking up with marley museum people, doin demonstarion all weekend, could use some help, anybody wanna go? all you have to bring is yerself and a few bucks, everythin else is set
tickets from spirit $250, round trip
interested?, throw me a jing 617 548 3631