PDA

View Full Version : eye on pipe that changes color when you smoke out of it???

MarioSC
03-29-2012, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine sent me a link that shows a eye on a pipe that turns red when you smoke from it. I've never heard of anything like this. I was wondering if any of tha pros ever heard of this and can help me wrap my head around it. In tha pix it kinda look like It's just 2 different pipes. So I'm not sure if this is somebody pulling everybody's leg or this is something that's foreal.
Link ------ -> http://madamlifestyle.tumblr.com/post/20050136504/higherconcept-fuckyeahpsychedelics-the-eye

- Mario

Boozeclues
03-29-2012, 04:51 PM
serendipty before and after striking is my guess

now if it went back to white after you cleaned it that would be nuts.

Adapt
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Those are two different pieces.

Deez
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Thats two different pipes no doubt.

Boozeclues are you trying to say that smoking it, is making the color strike lol???

Mecha
03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't think those are the same two pieces. Look at the pupil. It seems larger in the second one. Also, the patterning in the iris looks different to me as well. The lids look different too.

^^ETA- They beat me to it.

Matt P
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
definitely looks like two pipes. Lots of smokers think that the "color-changing" glass actually does change colors over time/use. I explain to some what's actually happening (i.e. reflected light yadayada), they don't always like the truth as much haha

either someone got confused, or hustled

MarioSC
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Those are two different pieces.

That is what I'm thinking... In one pic it has a pinwheel pattern around tha eye but not so much in tha other. Plus tha eye lid is slightly tilted on one side but in tha next pic tha eye is tilted on tha opposite side.

Firekist
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Oops..yes..different

Greymatter Glass
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
definitely fake, you can see the wires.

You could, in theory, do that with thermochromatic pigments, if you could find one sensitive in the right ranges to change based on the heat change of burning a bowl... factor in the insulative properties of glass, and the air between bowl and front of the spoon.... you'd be really hard pressed to make it happen...

Boozeclues
03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Thats two different pipes no doubt.

Boozeclues are you trying to say that smoking it, is making the color strike lol???
Lol no, I know smoking it wont strike it but if they are claiming that it looks like that because it had been smoked out of I would want to see it go back to being white when it was clean.

MarioSC
03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanx to everybody... I wasn't positive that it was 2 different pieces at first but now that is very apparent

MUPH
03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Looks legit.

GlassConnoisseur
03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Definitely two different pipes. The carb on the second pipe is quite a bit more bulbous, also the first pipe looks to be mainly chinese amber and the second pipe looks like it might be purple or something although it's hard to tell from that angle. And the pupil/iris look totally different to me as well...

Aussie
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Looks legit.

Lol, awwww .... stop it, you.

Aussie
03-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Oh and yes, either someone is full of it or they got taken in and are just regurgitating what they were told. Triple blown comes to mind.
Biggest load of crap since someone once tried to tell me that boro is harder than soda glass.

Jestr
03-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Biggest load of crap since someone once tried to tell me that boro is harder than soda glass.

Wait... It's not?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mind+blown&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=582&tbm=isch&tbnid=2QaEfHAIrHCAAM:&imgrefurl=http://johannahlynn.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-mind-is-blown.html&docid=WptxuV98Dhx7QM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nT_sUW45J-g/Tq7niAUStwI/AAAAAAAAAfk/k0Gks20Mdn0/s400/blown%25252Bmind.jpg&w=305&h=400&ei=nXd1T4J28LjZBcCrkakN&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=245&vpy=168&dur=8737&hovh=257&hovw=196&tx=103&ty=161&sig=110545417869080057290&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=123&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Jestr
03-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Dammit! The image didn't load. No mind=blown pic on this one. Cuz my mind was, like, triple-blown.

Aussie
03-30-2012, 03:04 AM
haha, that's how I feel most of the time!
and no, boro is not harder in its cold state than soda glass.
the "hard" (boro) and "soft" (soda) glass labels apply to the respective glasses' properties in the flame, but in their cold states are opposite. boro is actually softer and more elastic (which makes it somewhat more resistant to kinetic shock) than soda glass, which is harder and more brittle by comparison.
you can test the veracity of this by scratching one against the other and examining the scratches. or just look up some comparative hardness tests.

leatherneck8541
03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
this is super weird, i have an etsy account that i sell pipes on and someone just a day ago sent me and e-mail requesting if i could make one and if i was "up to the challenge" and he would pay me good money for it... i read what you wrote MUK803 and i said to myself there is no way its the same pipe, and sure enough whoever it was sent that exact same photo to my e-mail! was it you by any chance? has anyone else that sells on etsy get e-mails like that?

MarioSC
03-30-2012, 07:09 AM
this is super weird, i have an etsy account that i sell pipes on and someone just a day ago sent me and e-mail requesting if i could make one and if i was "up to the challenge" and he would pay me good money for it... i read what you wrote MUK803 and i said to myself there is no way its the same pipe, and sure enough whoever it was sent that exact same photo to my e-mail! was it you by any chance? has anyone else that sells on etsy get e-mails like that?

Naw wasn't me. A friend of mine sent me that link asking do I know how that's made. I told them that I don't even see how that's possible. But I figured I'll ask everyone one else and see. And yeah my initial thought was that can't be tha same piece. But after posting and examining more closely It's obvious they are different pipes. So I'm thinking... If it is 2 different pieces, why is somebody claiming It's one? What are they getting out of it besides maybe a good laugh? Lol

leatherneck8541
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
bogus marketing, people would flip if it changed color only when you smoke and go back to white hah

Kato
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM
not that farfetched. A cherry bowl will light up a pipe. If the eye was mainly white and you got a hot bowl going I can totally see it "turning red when you smoke it"

leatherneck8541
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
i totally agree it can be done in one way or another, but the page it came from with the two pix were obv. not the same pipe. i think it would be awesome for someone to come up with a pipe that changed color only when heated, then would go back to "normal" when cooled

Julian
03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
I could picture there being some sort of glass that turned colors when it was heated, then changed back (we have a few that do that at extreme temperatures, right? Cadmium yellow for instance). I don't think we'll find out about it from a picture on tumblr, though. It's a shame that so many people believe tales like this (check out all the reblogs, etc.).

HeartBurnGlass
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
does anyone remeber the transformers toys from back in the day, they all had a little black square and if you warmed it up by holing your thumb it would show the decepticon or the autobot logo in a cool rainbow pattern, like gasoline colors. or the hot wheels cars that would change color in hot and cold water, so they had 3 tones 1 at room temp then 1 each for hot and cold. we need glass that does that.

Boozeclues
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
does anyone remeber the transformers toys from back in the day, they all had a little black square and if you warmed it up by holing your thumb it would show the decepticon or the autobot logo in a cool rainbow pattern, like gasoline colors. or the hot wheels cars that would change color in hot and cold water, so they had 3 tones 1 at room temp then 1 each for hot and cold. we need glass that does that.

I remember those!

Matt P
03-30-2012, 09:02 PM

I remember that! Oh childhood

Sounds sorta like mood-ring "technology" :D

Adapt
03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
This is so weird. The pics are obviously two different pipes.

The thing that I don't understand is how this rumor/story got started. It doesn't appear to be started by the blower, but more like a buyer or distributor or a random fan/customer.

Where is the angle? Anybody who buys a pipe like this is going to complain if they think the eye changes color. I don't think this rumor was started by the glassblower making these, but he/she is might suffer a bit from the false claims...

I would be pissed if any of my prodo lines were hyped up as having special features that were false....

kage
03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
you mean you guys dont know how to do that? first fume heavy with pasteurized unicorn blood, then silver to hold it in place. burn it all off with a HHO flame. then reduce it with a natural gas/air bunsen burner. sometimes i make the iris first, but have trouble getting the layering just right, but i hear frog DNA fills in the sequence gaps.

Shatner
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
you mean you guys dont know how to do that? first fume heavy with pasteurized unicorn blood, then silver to hold it in place. burn it all off with a HHO flame. then reduce it with a natural gas/air bunsen burner. sometimes i make the iris first, but have trouble getting the layering just right, but i hear frog DNA fills in the sequence gaps.

You forgot unicorn tears and midget penises.

MarioSC
03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Lmfao!

Aussie
04-01-2012, 05:35 AM
You forgot unicorn tears and midget penises.

Shit, i knew someone was gonna let that cat out of the bag. Now everyone's gonna make colour changing eye pipes.

Those look like Julie Riggs' pipes (it certainly looks like her iris technique) Although I've never met her irl, she doesn't seem like the kind of person to propagate such tales. Someone here can undoubtedly verify that. She probably doesnt even know about this, unless it's some kind of joke.

Cold Seal
04-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Pretty sure tom can back this up cause he made me a dragon years ago with white eyes that did get bloodshot after being used. Color is no longer available though.

RoostersGlass
04-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Definitely two different pieces made in the same style. My guess is ...they did this for laughs. Looks like one is made with a white backed eye and the other is a amber purple, serendipity, or tequila sunrise backed eye. No two irises are the same unless you use an eye murrini. But those two irises are really different close-up. Could have fooled me if the pics where farther away. The artist who made this is great at duplicating a piece, must be their prodo line.