PDA

View Full Version : Repairs...

Mike_Aurelius
06-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Had a local guy stop in the studio last night with a busted water pipe.

Made from 44 heavy wall, the piece was knocked over and broke about 3" off the end of it.

Wants it repaired, cut off the broken end and weld on a new piece - nothing fancy, about 6" long, and gold fumed.

I made sure the piece was totally clean before he broght it in.

I quoted him about $75 to repair...

So, the question is: do you do repairs on pieces, or turn them down?

Mr. Whale dick
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
i do repairs...

FredLight
06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Turn them down. Clumsy or careless people should not go unpunished.
(Sorry, I'm still bitter about an uninsured driver that cost me $500, and was not fined nor ticketed)

gotglass?
06-29-2005, 01:15 PM
i do them with no gaurantee... that they will be successful with a deposit. i'll do it if its worth fixing.... schwaaaaz prodo no way.. just make sure to bring it up to temp in the kiln even a little hotter between 1100 -1200 and go for it...

somberbear
06-29-2005, 01:51 PM
.... i dont do repairs and rarely know some one that will ,

its so it or miss really...

i will make replacement slides and stuff

but no matter how clean they say it is its never that clean.... ever.... your going to have a smoker lol

Mark F
06-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Nothing worse than the smoker. I sometimes will on stuff I made, but not on other peoples work.

NUBBLET
06-29-2005, 02:54 PM
If it is worth it , I do , also with a deposit along with a serious buzz kill talk about no gaurantee , and it may even get worse or become nothing but shards . I only do it for people I know , so I dont have that nagging worry about being set up .

gotglass?
06-29-2005, 03:10 PM
what about broken dillies.... gotta clean them too.... why worry about being set up that would be entrapment.... if it's too dirty give em the richard dawson reply.."please try again" then we'll talk

it's funny this guy stopped in my buddies shop and asked about repairing two pieces he declined for the smokin gun reasons being he had a shop / store.... two broken spoons one I/O and one prodo silver fume and clear spoon....even though the prodo one i would have sold a new nicer piece to them for less than to repair or about the same price it held some sentimental value to them. people will pay for memoriies and it's true they never get it clean enough.... so charge for the reclean

and make them what they want one of these two pieces got turned into a bat in it's new life
thats how i got started ihad my friend making reincarnated pieces out of my mishaps that were nice pieces of work by the time he was done with what i call the frankenspoon he turned to me and said why don't you make these things yourself... Thus i had convinced him to sell me his old SSQ and start me on my way....so in a way i feel obligated to atleast try to help out when i can....

NUBBLET
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
entrapment is a myth for the most part . Plus in any place they sell tobacco products , they have people come in and use illegal terms and shit like that to get you to sell an "illegal product ", then they try to shut you down . Thats why shops wont sell if you use terms of the sort , most will tell you very quickly to leave .

The Bigles
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Well you already gave him a quote so it sounds like you're going to do it. Two things already said, no guarantee, deposit required. ok.

I would have quoted an hourly rate though. If something goes wrong and you have to spend some extra time fixing one of your own mistakes it's still his responsibilty to pay for your time. Also, if it goes way faster than you expected it's good business ethics to only charge him for the time you used.

brettodie
06-29-2005, 04:50 PM
i do repairs 25 bux up front non refundable. if the piece blows up, sorry your loss.the item must be clean,to dirty come back another day. if it takes more then 25 worth of work collect upon pick up :) time is money charge for your work repairs are risky no matter what. i've repaired pieces by a ton of different people all accidents,carb broke off ect. its good money if you make sure get your times worth out of it most people are happy to pay cause its a item they have an attacthment to. good luck work hot and learn to use your hand torch

10FennyGlass
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
hell, ill do a repair if i can get some money for a quick polish or stick together! even if i have to rebuild some of it, the better, u can charge them more.

Royal
06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
i do repairs but like brett said there is a upfront non refundable depostit. the piece must be spotless clean cause i tell them i charge 75 bucks to clean a piece. i hate cleaning pieces.

WORLD FAMOUS
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Depends on how cute she is...hardyharhar!!!

If I know the person, I'll at least try for 'em after it's clean. No sense in advertising it to the masses, to me it's not really worth my time to do it for everyone and their half-uncle. I usually don't really charge my -close- friends for this kind of stuff, but if I never met you, it's usually a 10-25 minimum.

Then I tell 'em it's a 50/50 chance (of survival)... that's a 50% chance I'll never get around to it, and a 50% chance I'll fix it and sell it to someone else. J/K!!! "Geez, tough crowd!"

When I wasn't able to fix a few Roor water pipes I turned them into nice large nug jugs (with the etched roor logo still prominantly displayed down the side) :) Or turn a setimental pipe (or reminants) into a pendant or hanging ornament that the person can keep forever (I did this for a girl I was seeing; as turned out, it's a good way to score bedroom brownie points!)

SteppingRazor
06-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Lots of people want me to fix their prodo spoon they dropped. I just hot punty up the bowl part to a scrap of clear 12 mm HW, like 7-8 inches. Some one said it was cooler than before they broke it.
~joe

jiminyrootkit
06-29-2005, 11:56 PM
yeh, but only for friends.
and it has to be spotless, but they're handy at that around here....reclaiming and all...
-f

IrieGuy05
06-30-2005, 06:44 AM
If it was prodo I would tell them to just buy a new one. I bet if you owned a shop you'd get sick of people coming in and being like hey i broke the bottom out of my peice can you fix it. That would piss me off, I wouldn't be that person even before i started making peices.

Mike_Aurelius
06-30-2005, 06:55 AM
This was a 2 foot long water pipe, lathe made. Top six inches or so broke off.

We're going to take a shot at it this weekend. But agreed - we aren't going to be doing this as part of our regular business and certainly NOT prodo.

Greymatter Glass
06-30-2005, 09:03 AM
If that's the case... just cut the top off and fire polish it.

That's like....baby stuff.

Only if it's clean, of course.

Mike_Aurelius
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Yeah, my thought exactly, except he "wants" it back to 2 foot long, so...

heh...

brettodie
06-30-2005, 09:59 AM
bah on that your in charge tell him only fix your willing to do is shorten it. its to much work and hassle to add a few inchs and it'll be hard to make it look nice. i have a tube repair waiting at work as we speak,cept the bottom got blown out not sure of my plan yet but ill take before and after pics if i member to. good luck on the repair peace brett

Mr. Whale dick
06-30-2005, 11:08 AM
brett make a steamroller out of it if the bottom is broke....