PDA

View Full Version : electrical knowledge needed

Royal
06-30-2005, 08:59 PM
o.k. so i got my new kiln. its a 240 volt. i have a 220 plug already in my wall from my old kiln.

the question i have is: can i just swap out my old 220 box/female plug for a new 240 female/plug?? can i use my existing wire that was running my 220 or do i need whole new wire? thanks in advance.

somberbear
06-30-2005, 10:08 PM
you need a new "pig tail" i am asuming a kiln is set up like a dryer ....

its just a differnt socket more then not....

what ya gotta worry about is if you have a digital controler if its wire up proper ... and if you have a big enough breaker...

other then that its tip top

pigtails are pritty easy to rig if you problem is just the plug wont fit type thing... 10 bucks lowes

mindblowingglass
07-01-2005, 06:22 AM
You will just want to make sure its not pulling a higher amp, (than your old kiln) If you are pulling a higher amp than the wire in the wall is rated, it can lead to fires etc. Also make sure your breaker is rated at a higher amp than what the kiln pulls(if the breaker is rated high, your wire in the wall connecting it to the receptical should(should) be rated as high as the breaker.

darv
07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
As long as the breaker is suppling enough amps, instead of messing with your kiln you can turn off the breaker and change the outlet. This may be cheaper and easier than changing the plug.

derek

sunray
07-01-2005, 08:02 AM
I think we just changed to outlet for Trev's because it came the same.
sunray

Dale M.
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
You have two choices when it comes to the "connection"... You can... A) change the receptacle to match cord on new kiln, if you do not what to have it still work with old kiln (as a spare). B) Change plug/pigtail on kiln so old receptacle stays same and you can use it with old kiln.

Also check circuit breaker to be sure it is rated for amperage of new kiln. Also check wiring gauge if you have to increase breaker capacity it **may** mean wire size might be to small for new "load" kiln will draw...

Dale