PDA

View Full Version : Newly designed glass lathe in Berkeley, CA

alsetn
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I am building these one at a time here in Berkeley CA. 4 currently available, 5 more in a week. Then the sales will fund more production
They use a quiet mini Poly-V serpentine belt similar to that in a car. No slipping issues. It has a ball bearing tensioner. This will not slip even if you grab the spindle.

Check out the specs on the webpage
I'll add more tech data to the website soon.

Dan Granett
Berkeley Lathe
http://www.glasslathe.com/

dan@glasslathe.com

PyroChixRock
09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Cool Dan! We'll get you entered into the phone book. Would you like me to copy this thread over to the vendors area for you?

Greymatter Glass
09-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Hey Alsetn, welcome to the melting Pot.

This is cool, but I'm wondering if it will get much exposure in this section.

(note: ok, ignore this then)

If you're planning on selling/marketing these machines here it would be greatly appreciated if you apply for a vendors badge: http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?24912-Vendor-Access-Info

Feel free to re-post this in the lathe section, and once you have a vendors badge please post in the vendors section!

Also... I've seen a few single head lathes, never seen anyone work on them, if you have (or can make) a quick video o fhow they work and what you can do with them I'd love to see it in action.

-Doug

Greymatter Glass
09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Cool Dan! We'll get you entered into the phone book. Would you like me to copy this thread over to the vendors area for you?

great minds....

PyroChixRock
09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Doug(e) :D

Thanks for pointing him to the right place. He's actually got a badge but it won't show up until he hits ten posts.

So that lathe looks pretty neat, huh? I'd love to see a video in action if there is one.

Mr.P0rn
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
+1 for a video. I've never seen a single head lathe work!

Greymatter Glass
09-18-2013, 12:10 PM
cool, didn't know that about the badges.

alsetn
09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi all,
Yes, I'm working on getting a video. And yes any transfer to the correct forums is appreciated.

Although I have built special tools for my neighbors they are real shy about letting me video them using those "proprietary" tools in action.
If anyone knows of glass workers in the SF Bay Area who are willing, I will bring a lathe over and let them use it for a few weeks in exchange for some video shooting.

Thanks,
Dan

Greymatter Glass
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
If anyone knows of glass workers in the SF Bay Area who are willing, I will bring a lathe over and let them use it for a few weeks in exchange for some video shooting.

That's an awesome offer, hopefully someone will take you up on that ASAP.

Riley
09-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm in San Diego and would love to try this. I've run drill setups me have a design drawn for a non powered single head lathe/chuck for the bench, that would have a cage or armature that rotates with the chuck. The armature would hold parts in place. Essentially creating a single head lathe for lathe type assembly done on bench.

I'd gladly film any video you needed and I'm sure I could demonstrate the usefulness.

Mr.P0rn
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
^^^This^^^

I personally love Riley's work, I would love to see this guy work a lathe, and I bet he would be a good person to give your product a test run. Just my .02

Skipjack
09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
There's an SGB (Society of Glass Beadmakers) NorCal meeting at Public Glass in San Francisco on Saturday (September 21st) at 1:00pm. I wonder if they would let you demo it there. Or perhaps Public Glass would have the resources or point you to someone who can make the video.

alsetn
09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Hey Skipjack,

Thanks for the local leads. I'll see what I can find out.

Dan

johnbekham
02-05-2015, 03:14 AM
Hey Skipjack,

Thanks for the local leads. I'll see what I can find out.

Dan

Thanks for the link dan..

oG Glocc Coma
02-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Bump, is Berkley Lathes still around? this thing looks solid and I'd love to start saving for one!

Deez
02-29-2016, 12:36 PM
doubt it he was trying to sell the company at one point

H1JACK3R
02-29-2016, 01:12 PM
I saw one for 2150 go with free shipping on ebay recently Glocc, but it doesn't seem like he's got any up right now. I think it was him, the maker.