PDA

View Full Version : Request for Review Revere Glass School

Madcap Glass
12-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I've been looking into Revere, and was curious to see some opinions around here about the classes there. I did do a search and found mostly favorable opinions about them, but all the posts on here regarding Revere are several years old. Thanks for any information, especially any first hand experience would be very appreciated.

StickyRicky
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I've been watching his videos on Youtube for a couple months now, Dustin seems like a knowledgable dude, and his instructional videos are some of the best I have seen on the internet. Check out the videos and you'll get a good feeling for what he is all about.

hippi
12-31-2013, 01:12 AM
ya dustin is a cool dude ive met him a few times.. and if u think u can learn some stuff from some classes then go for it.. they have a lot of people in the shop that has some years of glass under them and i think a bunch of them teach different classes hit up dustin on facebook im sure he will answer ur questions

Loki Glass
12-31-2013, 06:11 AM
They're also doing online classes soon, via webcam. At first they seemed a bit pricey (for online classes) but I think they readjusted the prices since then. And yes definitely if you haven't seen his youtube video's then check em out. I wish I lived closer I would definitely go in for classes.

bildo
12-31-2013, 09:10 AM
There is a thread on here somewhere about how this dude sold online lessons, and never came through, people didnt get their money back and revere never got back to em. Use the search and look up glassq I believe. I FUCKING hate shitty business people and you should look into this before signing up with this dude. I am not sure if the issues got resolved, but be aware that there def were issues.

Madcap Glass
12-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks mods, for moving this to the appropriate forum. And thanks everyone else for their input. Damn, bildo! Didn't see that in the posts I found on here, that really sucks. Guess my research isn't done yet.

bildo
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Bro I could be wrong but it had to do with people paying subscription fees and then no content was provided, no refund, no interaction. Ill try to find the thread. http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?45389-glassQ&highlight=glassq

StickyRicky
12-31-2013, 07:31 PM
I know we can't just judge Dustin by his Youtube videos, but it appears that he has good intentions of helping to educate, and obviously he really loves glass. I probably wouldn't do the online lessons, personally, I would rather get hands on for my money. If I lived closer or had a chance to get down to Berkley I would do it in a heartbeat.

JBob
01-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Iv heard some sketch things out of revere. I'm sure it won't effect most people coming in day to day to his facility though.

D. dino i ninjah
01-02-2014, 11:44 PM
he used to post on the forum ... Havent seen his tag on here in years ...

hashcat
01-03-2014, 01:43 AM
shady dude when it comes to money. i know a few artists who have done workshops/collabs at his place and ended up screwed.

cant speak for the classes though.

upgrade
01-03-2014, 01:43 AM
I honestly have heard nothing but horrible things about Dustin. Everything from ripping people off, shady "contracts", failure to come through on time scheduling, even a physical fist fight. He owed one of my friends 8k and when he came to get it he wouldn't give it to him and called the cops on him to remove him from the property. Artists I respect such as Phil Siegel, Etai, Lance Wright have all denounced him from the community around there and they are seriously nice, and really cool people who to my knowledge have no trouble with anyone else. Do you research is all I'm saying, be your own judge but use caution.

Loki Glass
01-03-2014, 06:14 AM
I signed up for GlassQ maybe a month before it all went downhill and got shut down. I think the idea is great and he's obviously a good teacher judging by his videos.

Sorry to hear about your friend though, that sucks. Hopefully he's not just making these videos to promote his online classes and keeps making them. They're been some of my favorite tutorial vids out there.

bildo
01-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Maybe the best way to learn from revere is for free on the internet. He cant fuck you if its free. And you still get the info. And once you can follow his videos and learn there is no reason why you should pay him money for further learning. In my opinion this is a cash thirsty business, if you have cash someone will be thirsty to take it to make you better. The bay is huge and there are prob 200 full timers in the area. Any one of them would prob be better than some asshat with a poor reputation to start with. Who cares how skilled he is when you dont know shit. Anybody (well almost) can teach you the basics, and then after that you will have the requisite skills to go out and collab and learn with COOL people. I said it before and Ill say it it again. FUCK SHITTY BUSINESS

MrNiceGuy
01-03-2014, 06:38 PM
The youtube videos have been a great resource. Turn them into your own classes.

My friend and I have decided that we're watching one video per week, and spending the rest of the week practicing whichever piece was taught.

I'm starting to get an inventory just through practicing his spoon shaping technique.

nicko0
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
i got ripped off. payed hundreds for a demo. they cancelled it. i found out by chance( cause i called them for some info) a couple hours before flying cross county. revere wont refund me my money. (the airline did)

i started a thread about it many years ago(how do i find it)

i got pm from others that have been ripped off, they didnt want to be thought of as a shit talker.

i dont care.

fuck that dude

definitely fucks over people on purpose regularly.

Jiggy Boro
01-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Man that sucks. Why do people have to be that way. Wish he was a wholesome dude and not a thief, his videos are great, and he sure tries to come off differently then what he really is apparently. Im so happy there are far more wholesome non thieves in our industry than there are the opposite. It sure makes it easy to point fingers as soon as somebody does an unjust business practice such as stealing thousands from people who are seeking knowledge. Thats the last thing somebody should be jipped on.

Wilbur
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I know people who have taught high end demo classes there, and he tried to weasel in more attendees , having them pay him 'on the hush' and not give the person teaching thd class any cutvof the extra heads

Shady

Aymie
01-04-2014, 07:20 AM
i got ripped off. payed hundreds for a demo. they cancelled it. i found out by chance( cause i called them for some info) a couple hours before flying cross county. revere wont refund me my money. (the airline did)

i started a thread about it many years ago(how do i find it)

i got pm from others that have been ripped off, they didnt want to be thought of as a shit talker.

i dont care.

fuck that dude

definitely fucks over people on purpose regularly.

I remember when this happened.

I have never heard any good things about revere, as sad as it is to say.

RyanBaker
01-04-2014, 07:27 AM
I remember when this happened.

I have never heard any good things about revere, as sad as it is to say.

Wow. When you hear stuff like this you really hope its just a rare case, but when NO ONE has a good thing to say about you,it should really be a wake up call that you and your business practices are complete shit.

bildo
01-04-2014, 08:21 AM
If we had a boro gang we could repo his business. Who's in?

Madcap Glass
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow. After reading all this, I don't think I need to do any further research. Thanks to everyone for saving me a LOT of money that I don't even have yet. Guess I'll get that Bravo when I get my taxes instead of heading to Berkeley. Thanks again!

Jiggy Boro
01-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Good call. I think a bravo would be a much more sound investment. Learning on your own can be a pain in the ass especially when you cant figure something out, but that way, you create allot more of your own style, as appose to picking up somebody else's. Have fun on your glass journey man.

upgrade
01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
If you're in the bay area check out East Bay Boro, Lance Wright is the owner. He used to teach classes at Revere and Dustin fucked him over (figures). Very nice, patient teacher who cares about his students. I haven't been to his new shop but I learned from him when I first started out, and LEARNED A LOT.

Also as much of a horrible person Dustin is,the YouTube videos are excellent, which hopefully will continue until he inevitably fucks that kid Kevin over. Learn from those and let him him make his YouTube pennies. Kevin if you're reading this don't sign any "contracts" lol.

Aymie
01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I really hesitated to participate in this thread..

hellawacked
02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I wonder if kevins even getting anything i always figured he walked in with a nice camera and propsed making videos. Its really a shame i had read the post about glassq and never connected the two what a shame. I think we should begin crowdfunding to supply some of these resorces ourselves no capitalism involved. If there was a big enough demand I wouldnt mind getting things going.

aglassworkorange
02-01-2014, 10:00 PM
First off, I paid for my class months prior and when things started getting more finalized with dates and all, Revere school had no idea who I was and I wasn't scheduled in the class. My girl sent them the credit card information with date charged and all. I got a "whoops. sorry about that." Then my girl requested a whole week off of work. We scheduled flight plans, hotel spa plans, etc...... she's a chick and deciding was a bitch. Less than a week before the class, they rescheduled for the following week. I was told that Dustin messed up on the date Eusheen told him. My girl was pissed and she had to cancel her whole thing because her work wouldn't allow the time off the week of the class. Anyways, my luxurious travel plans changed to cheap travel, dive hotel, & cheap fast food.

On the other side of it...... When I first showed up, we were still waiting for materials to show up. Then 1/2 way through the class when Eusheen was making a piece, he says "thank you for letting me experiment and make a piece". I had no idea I signed up for a class that he was experimenting work. I thought I was going to be able to learn something from him that he was sure of and has perfected. Granted.... he did show us quite a few things that were new to us but for the majority of the class, I was shocked to know that I was learning something he was just "testing out".

If anyone else went to the class felt differently about it, I'd like to hear another's opinion. No disputing.... just want to hear another side/opinion of it.

mistahead
03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
sounds like Dustin needs to pop in hear to clear things up, or not, his call i guess.

But to Glassagonia...maybe theres more to eusheens lesson your not seeing??

what makes Eusheen one of "the best" is that he is constantly pushing and one upping himself every time he is on the torch, I've been following his work since the beginning and i would think this to be true.

Like many people who are attracted to a way of life that is outside of the box of societies norm its important to keep pushing yourself not just for status but to stay passionate, and honestly i would kill to be able to come down to the states for a eusheen class and be able to have him unleash his passion for class.

Not to get to far off topic, but i have been watching Dustin's videos and i think he's doing a pretty good job there, looks like he has an amazing facility that looks like a great learning environment (the facilities that is)...its would be a shame if he doesn't come around and decide to make good....it seems as if he has good intentions and all.

revere glass
07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Well this seems like as good a place as any to jump on in.

Hi all, Kevin from Revere here. I know we have had some issues in the past, disorganization and payment chief among them. In the year I have been at Revere, we have created a solid team, and are doing our best to clear up any old issues.

First up, GlassQ. Before my time here, Dustin created a streaming/gallery site with a subscription model. Right around 1000 subscribers, his web developer up and left, and he couldn't find anyone to keep the site going on short notice. As far as I know, he shut it down at the end of that month. If anyone payed for months of membership in advance, we'd love for them to get in touch so we can get them into our online classes.

daglasbloer, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I like to think we've turned things around since then. We use an online scheduling system for all our classes, and have an office manager here 5 days a week.

Glassagonia, I was actually at the shop for that class, it was right when I started. Sorry that our disorganization lead to travel troubles, that is one area we have definitely improved on. Correct me if I wrong, but I think you got a refund for the class because of the mixup.
I've never sat in on a workshop with anyone else, but to date that was still some of the most advanced glassblowing I've seen. I'm with mistahead in that part of the draw is watching how he works his magic to tame something just outside of his reach.

upgrade, I don't know the details that led up to that incident, but I was at the shop when it happened. Rita, Dustin's wife, called the police because she felt threatened by a third party who had involved himself. The aggrieved party also got a ~10k Eush rig, so that did get settled.
I also really dig this job. Comes with a paycheck and everything.

We continually have students coming through our intro classes, Pipemaking 1 and 2 programs, our Scientific program with Suuze and private lessons with Dustin. He's not a bad guy, just a flawed human trying his best like the rest of us. He just wants to blow glass (who doesn't?) but it never quite works out like that.

Madcap, what are you looking to learn? We'd love for you to either come take some classes in person, or take our online classes. We've had a nice 5-6 person class these past few weeks, working on rigs, pendants, pendant rigs, horns, etc.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help resolve, or if there are any demos you guys want to see for On the Torch.

Cheers!
Kevin

quix
07-30-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd love my glassq money back :)

tedmajor
07-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your input Kevin! I have visited revere twice personally. The first time was a year ago before the cannabis cup. It was the first time I had been to a real studio ( I was melting glass in my friends garage at the time, we never made a damn thing) or even met real glassblowers. I did around 7 hours of torch time and one class over one weekend. I was paying 15$ hour to play on the torch with there equipment and scrap glass (there is a huge amount of scrap glass). I ended up going to the cannabis cup with them. I even got to work on the torch at the event.
Here is some video evidence. That's me at the 7:00 mark in the sweatshirt that has a shark with wings on it, on the torch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9J4TZvVY0&list=FLvwKPDDUdI5xn8GGg70gLFA

My second experience was in this last May. I went out there with a friend who I am apprenticing under. We did about 5 hours of torch time over a weekend, we had a blast, and I met a lot of really great people.

Me personally, I don't think I will be going back to revere until its for a signature class by my favorite artist or something. I would have loved to do that Eusheen workshop if I had known who he was at the time..
I'm not going to enroll myself in classes there until I am ready to take classes from Suuze. She's really great and I can't wait till I can buy a lathe and have her show me how to use it!

“People are almost always better than their neighbors think they are.”

borofanatic
08-01-2014, 02:45 PM
never met Dustin myself, but have only heard about over a dozen stories of how he has screwed anyone he pretty much can. he will just try nd tak your money. i would never recommend going to revere glass.. ever~!!

Icarus
08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Anyone can talk about stories they've heard through the grapevine. However, this is a review thread. Maybe try to keep the reviews to those who have actual personal experience.

hammer
08-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Anyone can talk about stories they've heard through the grapevine. However, this is a review thread. Maybe try to keep the reviews to those who have actual personal experience.

This

PyroChixRock
08-01-2014, 06:24 PM

This. Again.

If you haven't been at his shop, you have nothing to add.

Nuggie
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I wanna chime in here and say that I've been watching Revere's youtube videos, and like others have said, they're top-notch videos. I was so sad & disappointed to read about all the things Dustin has done, because he seems like such a chill, nice dude from his videos. He's always mentioning the Cannabis Culture & such, and I would think he's a good dude. I would never have guessed or suspected him to do things like that.

Kevin, if you're still reading this thread, I just wanna say, you're the fuckin' chillest dude ever haha, I love your videos bro! I almost wanted to stop watching revere's videos after what I've read in this thread, but I'm gonna keep watchin' em just because you're in them. Kevin for president IMO.

PyroChixRock
08-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Keep watching them because of this...

Hi all, Kevin from Revere here. I know we have had some issues in the past, disorganization and payment chief among them. In the year I have been at Revere, we have created a solid team, and are doing our best to clear up any old issues.

We are humans. We fuck up. But that says they are trying to improve! Anyone who is taking feedback from people and turning into "how can we do better" deserves a shot.

revere glass
08-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I wanna chime in here and say that I've been watching Revere's youtube videos, and like others have said, they're top-notch videos. I was so sad & disappointed to read about all the things Dustin has done, because he seems like such a chill, nice dude from his videos. He's always mentioning the Cannabis Culture & such, and I would think he's a good dude. I would never have guessed or suspected him to do things like that.

Kevin, if you're still reading this thread, I just wanna say, you're the fuckin' chillest dude ever haha, I love your videos bro! I almost wanted to stop watching revere's videos after what I've read in this thread, but I'm gonna keep watchin' em just because you're in them. Kevin for president IMO.

Thanks for the love Nuggie! I wouldn't be doing the videos if it wasn't for a ton of effort that Dustin has put in too. He really is a good dude, doesn't just seem like it. I have gotten so much love and support from him and Revere since I've been here. I haven't read every old story about him, but I'd take them with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your input Kevin! I have visited revere twice personally. The first time was a year ago before the cannabis cup. It was the first time I had been to a real studio ( I was melting glass in my friends garage at the time, we never made a damn thing) or even met real glassblowers. I did around 7 hours of torch time and one class over one weekend. I was paying 15$ hour to play on the torch with there equipment and scrap glass (there is a huge amount of scrap glass). I ended up going to the cannabis cup with them. I even got to work on the torch at the event.
Here is some video evidence. That's me at the 7:00 mark in the sweatshirt that has a shark with wings on it, on the torch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9J4TZvVY0&list=FLvwKPDDUdI5xn8GGg70gLFA

My second experience was in this last May. I went out there with a friend who I am apprenticing under. We did about 5 hours of torch time over a weekend, we had a blast, and I met a lot of really great people.

Me personally, I don't think I will be going back to revere until its for a signature class by my favorite artist or something. I would have loved to do that Eusheen workshop if I had known who he was at the time..
I'm not going to enroll myself in classes there until I am ready to take classes from Suuze. She's really great and I can't wait till I can buy a lathe and have her show me how to use it!

“People are almost always better than their neighbors think they are.”

Right on, glad you had a good time! Definitely stop by if you're ever in the area. Would you ever be interested in Online classes with Suuze?

I'd love my glassq money back :)

I just PM'd you quix, let's get you squared up :)

tedmajor
08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Right on, glad you had a good time! Definitely stop by if you're ever in the area. Would you ever be interested in Online classes with Suuze?

I'll be in the Bay Area next weekend!

As for online classes with Suuze; I feel like I need to let my hands catch up to my imagination. I plan on taking some online classes very soon, but I want to wait to learn from those cool hands. I think I would do much better if I have already practiced the concepts that she teaches to improve my over all learning experience.

I'll be posting a progression thread very soon!

nicko0
08-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Clear up this old issue:
I want my money.

Jeffs Pieces
08-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Hey Kevin, dustin, whoever.. 425 776 3417 Call Momka Peeva.. tell her Jeff from ny sent ya.

LarryC
08-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Might help the rep if folks saw that the old issues posted here were resolved in some way.

PyroChixRock
10-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Clear up this old issue:
I want my money.

Hey @douglasbloer did you ever get this cleared up? Was this post the only way you let him know there was still a problem?

nicko0
10-30-2014, 08:05 PM
nope. never cleared up. back when this happened, dustin was pretty clear on the phone that he wasnt giving me my money back.

art vandelay
10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
ugh thats not reassuring to hear. i donated on patreon (not a lot), but isnt this whole situation kinda similar to the last? they ask for payment with promises to deliver something in the future?

PyroChixRock
10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Did the phone call take place after Kevin's post in this thread? Is the money in question money you gave them for GlassQ?

nicko0
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
it was for a three day demo of a handful of top 100 artists at dustins shop in 2009? (i d have to find my original thread i put up warning peeps about what had happened to find the date/year). dustin cancelled the demo. didnt call to tell me it was canceled. i almost flew there, but luckily i called revere to confirm some info that morning before i got on the plane. i called for a week trying to get someone to give me my money back, finally got dustin and all he would offer me was to take another class or demo. i told him he could pay me in raw material if he was tight, no go. so it was left at its not his policy to give money back on a class that he cancels.

so here i am, periodically reminded i got ripped off.

Loki Glass
10-31-2014, 04:51 AM
At least with Patreon as a third party site you can change or delete your monthly contribution at any time. It's not paying upfront for anything longer than a month. I was also taken for some money at GlassQ. I had just joined up a month or two prior to it being shut down so I wasn't out too much money, it was one of their cheapest rates. I'm approaching this with the same cautious mentality. I signed up for $5 a month and if they keep their word and do 2 "On the Torch" lessons a month, that's still paying $2.50 for a lesson in something I might not know much about. That's worth every penny in my eyes.

I appreciate that they need to make a living. I understand that people make mistakes and are completely capable of change and I am aware that there is a possibility they might not live up to their own terms, in which case many people will quickly rescind their monthly donations. I'd like to think that Dustin learned through the blowback of GlassQ going down that people don't like to feel taken advantage of, and it can affect both his wallet and his reputation for quite some time.

aglassworkorange
10-31-2014, 06:23 AM
Glassagonia, I was actually at the shop for that class, it was right when I started. Sorry that our disorganization lead to travel troubles, that is one area we have definitely improved on. Correct me if I wrong, but I think you got a refund for the class because of the mixup.
I've never sat in on a workshop with anyone else, but to date that was still some of the most advanced glassblowing I've seen. I'm with mistahead in that part of the draw is watching how he works his magic to tame something just outside of his reach.

Cheers!
Kevin

Absolutely no, I didn't get a refund?! My wife and I called several times and we had a very difficult time trying to get my money back. Finally decided that we weren't getting a response from you.... so I had to go to the class. So you are offering a refund?!! Should I call you or your wife because whenever money was discussed -- you had no knowledge and always said she'd call back..... but we always seem to have to call her back.

Don't get me wrong Eusheen is a great artist and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and learning from him. But when the school doesn't have all the tools the artist needs in advance.... we sat around for about 1-1/2 hour in total waiting for color and this "Japanese cutting tool".

And how am I going to grab something that is "outside of his reach"?

PyroChixRock
11-07-2014, 11:49 AM
@revere glass hasn't logged in since before these posts were made, so I'm wondering if he knows there's a problem he needs to address.

nicko0
11-07-2014, 04:51 PM
He knew there was a problem when I talked to him when it happened. he made his choice.

u think I should see if he changed his mind?

Kevin wants to speak for revier, acknowledging the issue directly here. Maybe he should do something about it now that he's got himself involved as far as I'm concerned.

PyroChixRock
11-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah I think you should both try talking to Kevin. Maybe he can do some thing to fix it. He said in his posts that he wanted to resolve issues.

Dave Umbs
11-08-2014, 10:06 AM
There is a lot I could say i attended revere glass from 2009-2010, All i will say is that i during that time i got burned on lessons and other things, and Dustin still owes me 500-1000 in lessons and an apologie for threatening me and my family.
I am extremely grateful to have learned to blow glass there and meet alot of nice people and it helped me immensely to learn to blow glass but, I was a paying customer and i was treated with no respect i was just another one of the apprentices who didnt matter. It didnt matter the amount of money i had put onto his business and how i supported him for almost a full year, i would try and setup a lesson or ask a question and would just get made fun of or told we would do the lesson the next day and that went on for weeks. I asked for a refund for the lessons to be told he has no money, so i get payed back in bubbley tubing that i had to swap out after i got it because it was unusable.
I learned alot and am truly grateful to have learned to blow glass there, but the amount drama lying and bullshit that i had to put up with made it not very enjoyable.

I saw Dustin earlier this year and he had conveniently forgotten our jaded past and acted super friendly towards me wanted me to come out and do collabs and whatnot. Im not interested since im sure ill get screwed. He was kind enough recently to add my name to his website without asking if i cared. Alot of shady business goes down with him, Im no angel and have fucked up alot, but with the amount of people that have had issues with him its kinda shocking it still continues.

I remember the class douglasbloer's is talking about 1 or two people dropped out last minute and 2-3 people who worked there me included hadnt payed yet and were waiting till the day of the class to pay. As soon as someone dropped out he canceled the whole thing i remember showing up the day before or it was the day of the class, to pay him only to find out it wasnt happening and was in total shock, If i remember right 1 or two people still showed up thinking the class was on and were super pissed.

Things might have changed i wouldnt put my money on it but it wouldnt be the first time i have been wrong. Someone i knew pretty well for a time also attended there in 2010-2011 and had the same experience as me for the most part good learning but negative overall.