PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is a fair price for these?

eternalfrost
04-16-2006, 08:23 PM
I usually dont do this kind of work but have gotten tons of requests from people i know for jewlery. Here is my first batch. i sold a bunch to the people i know who asked for them for abour $10-15. How much do you think i should ask for when selling the extras to a store? Seperatly, as sets or what? Ive never sold any jewlry items and to be honest know pretty much nothing about what they are worth.

http://www.glassartists.org/Images/FullSize/000091000/Img91941_IMG_0143.JPG

Satori
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
It all comes down to how much time you spent on each of them and how much cost is in each of them. From there, you can figure out how much you want ot make an hour and charge accordingly. For me, I can do most pendants in 20-25 minutes. I put maybe $3 of cost into each of them. My goal is to be making $20 an hour in profit on everything I make. So basically I need to get about $12 or so per pendant. But this is only what I would wholesale them at (well actually $12.50.) Anyway, they sell for $25 retail. I sell them to friends for $15-20. This way, they get a lower than retail price, but I still make more money than when I wholesale them. You also have to consider that when you wholesale something, you are basically paying the retailer to sell them for you. When I do the selling myself, I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I sell them at wholesale, even to a good friend, because are they selling it for me? No. I am doing the selling, so there's no need to pay someone for selling it for me.

When it comes to more detailed/technical things, I would factor the extra time in. Say a pendant took me a whole hour to make, I would wholesale it for $20-25 and do maybe $35-40 if I sell it myself.

Really think about how much your time is worth to you. Don't sell yourself short! When you are sure of yourself and you value your own time and feel that your time is worth a certain amount, you will have no problem asking for that amount. So be confident, price accordingly and you will get what you need from all your work.

Hope this helps!

Julian
04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Thats good pricing advice.
As far as my market price evaluation, I would say those pendants could sell for 7-13 wholesale for the lampwork and 6-10 wholesale for the fusing. The retail price would probably be double that ('keystone').
Nice work by the way, those flowers are looking good!
I like the silver honeycombs too. I've never tried one of those.

Firekist
04-17-2006, 07:47 AM
i think julian's prices are right on, but as you get better.. the honeycombs could easily bring in 15 or more wholesale, once you get different colors and tight patterns.

nice lookin flowers indeed.
z0-0seth

edeezevon
04-17-2006, 08:06 AM
yup.nice.dont do what i do!!!!I"d get 10$max then drop it from there for the lot...I"m no genius for sales tho!my wife always says im nuts but i mostly blow glass cause im addicted!the $ is nice and it helps but hey i couldnt stop blowin if i was taking a loss!!!!!go with julians advice.

glasspapi
04-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I price my pendants on three factors, how much glass I used, how long it took, and how well it actually looks. I put more wieght on how well it actually looks. for example: I can bust out honeycombs pretty fast 4-5 with multi colored or dicro backed. There are certain colors that I know already look tight and sell well so I base my price more on how well they look rather than how long it takes me. I actually end up pricing it higher that way. However, there are so many colors, I like to buy all sorts and experiment. The experimental ones sometimes look poooooopy so I charge more on how long it took me to make rather than on how well it looks. OKAY I understand that how "tight" a pendant looks is all perspective, but if you surf the net, galleries and jewlery catalogs it helps give a little perspective on how much you should price your pendants. I also take a lot of time going out and seeing what women wear for pendants. It helps give a little perspective.

The reason I price it more on looks is because shape, color and size (some smaller pendants actually take me longer) are very important to the customer, of course. So if the put more value on how certain pendants look over other pendants (even if the one they like more took me less time)so do I.

For instance, regarding looks I marve/shapen a lot of my pendants. I see that a lot of lampworkers that sell pendants bust out the usual tear drop or circular shape pendant. I like to make cubes, squares, strechted rectangles, etc(lots of shapes). At first it took me a while to shape the pendants so that both sides matched or it was strectched equal on both sides etc., but now I am a lot faster and it only takes a second more to do. However the customers really notice that my pendants are shapened. Since they comment and notice on the shape I price it a little higher for that. To me that is a good example of how I charge on looks and not how long it took me to make.

Thats just me though. I dont sell my stuff wholesale or to galleries. I sell most all of my pendants at art/craft markets/festivals.

somberbear
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Know your market and know what you can get for it.

and always remeber you have to factor in things like breakage , over head , supplies , power, gas, do it on an hourly rate , and know how much you punch out in a given amount of time it will help. i am doing a run of pendents soon but before i price it i will talk to some random "perspective" custiomer and see what they thing a few of them and afew family and friends. this will help me chose what my potental market will be.

for 15 bucks pick up making and marketing .... it will really help figure alot of this out and see the options you have.

Sol
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
AND REMEMBER...sell your glass as firsts,seconds and odds..that way you get the top doller for perfect pendants and you can give deals on stuff that you might not be as happy with...theprices julian listed above are good if the person is buying like 150 worth, if they are single purchases id never go below 10-12 bucks........that way you at least get close to the elusive 60 dollers an hour...make 4 pendants an hour and sell em for 12 bucks apiece ...damn close to 60....ive peen exclusively selling pendants to bead stores for 4 years and ive learned how to get my 50 an hour no problem..hell even on mushroom pendants i make at least 50 bucks an hour.15 mushies @43-4 dollers apiece.....and no stress...I LOVE MAKIN PENDANTS.......

steven p selchow
04-18-2006, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Satori]It all comes down to how much time you spent on each of them and how much cost is in each of them. From there, you can figure out how much you want ot make an hour and charge accordingly. For me, I can do most pendants in 20-25 minutes.

I do pendants in 5 minutes average, and I mean a variation of solid rod and blown, so to each his own. As i've stated before 10 pendants an hour at my $24.00 retail is exceptable, but variations determine the uniqueness of the finished piece, so whats acceptable to one is questionable to another.

steve

Kalera
04-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I find that I have to start low-per-hour and then as I get faster at any given technique, I can raise my pay significantly. That's kind of the name of the game in production.