PDA

View Full Version : Auction Glass Hive Custom Built Kiln! TMP Auction! (Closed)

PyroChixRock
11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
:bouncy: This auction was started during our live birthday event! (http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?57400-TMP-s-Live-14th-Birthday-party!!!) :bouncy:

Glass Hive Custom Built Kiln!

We have a custom kiln build by The Glass Hive! You can check them out at www.theglasshive.com and on their facebook page. (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Hive/178375802249399)

The Glass Hive is a small family company that has served the glass industry for more than 14 years.

Michael Crowley began as student of glass when he was a commercial glazier in Las Vegas. He also ran a successful stained glass window business called Dream Glass Studios. After a GAS conference he was hooked on it, and then was daunted by the cost of glass working equipment. Rather than buy into the furnace glass scene via existing equipment, he set about building his own. His goals were efficient, affordable and long lasting so he could pursue his dream. We still use that original glory hole and furnace today. His glass specialties in are furnace work and boro torch work.

He also built a line of bead kilns as his partner was in love with that scale. As years passed his designs evolved and improved, following what glass workers needed for the type of work that they created. These have evolved to include great designs for functional art as that is the new cutting edge. It was time for kilns to start fitting the glass after too many years of trying to create glass around kilns designs that were often ceramic in inspiration.

Today Michael Crowley still designs and builds all new concept kilns like our Custom line and boro furnace line, while our son in law(hate that set of words, he is our kin) Brent Postma, now builds the smaller bead and Economy Line units. He has been working with us for more than 5 years now. In the last 3 years he has begun functional torch work in boro as well, and would love more time in the furnace. Even his son at 5 years old came in and made drinking glasses for his family's holiday gifts.

Pam Pitts also joined the family as a co-owner about 5 years ago after a career as an aviation mechanic, building recreational planes and has moved from the electronics build line into the office for full time customer support as well as sales and back end office work. When you call in, you always get a person who knows kilns, color and cycles. She has been working glass for 17 years now in the soft, boro and furnace realms, marbles being the true love. That gives her an edge to help not only with kiln issues but some glass ones as well.

We always plan to keep ourselves small. Mike did all jobs for many years by himself, and now that we are three, it has allowed for a whole lot more in the way of product line. It is often suggested that we expand, but the one thing we fear most is loosing control of quality on each build, or the ability to spend as much time as is needed with each customer. We keep our overhead low so we can provide a solid product as well as a very personal experience with each artist. Building each kiln to customers spec allows us to do just that. To us, corporate expansion to produce more off the shelf products by more individuals would take away from that intimacy that we cherish.

Glass Hive also wants us to know:

The Melting Pot has been an amazing resource to us as glass workers, as well as vendors. We are thrilled to be able to put some energy back into that community that gives each of us a stronger voice and better education. No where else is the boro knowledge so complete or easily accessible.

The way the owners have embraced the FB movement and straddle both forums will ensure its continued success. I applaud the forum masters for doing so, as the added workload of keeping both current and topical has to be more time consuming. I look forward to watching TMP continue to grow, raising up glass workers one by one. Thank you for your support of this industry in a way that shows you truly care about each and every one of us.

Aww, thank you, Pam! We really do try our best here. :heart:

About the kiln!

12" wide x 12" deep x 9" tall Economy Guy Kiln

Includes the following:
Digital controller
Two 1" punti doors
Second hinge line on doors at 6" to put small work away.
V groove tube rest
Continental US Shipping included

Retail cost for package: $1080

Build specs such as doors and programming will be customized to the winners needs. The build time will be 3 weeks from contact with the new owner.

The option is open to use that credit amount on a larger build in either the Economy, Custom style, or Boro Furnace builds by paying the cash difference.

What a killer donation, eh guys? :D Thank you, Glass Hive!! :blowkiss:

****Auction Info!****

Starting bid: $0
Minimum bid increments: $25
US shipping will be included in the final auction price.
Auctions will end 7 days after first bid.
Payment via paypal unless other arrangements are made.

You may bid right here! Auction opens now! :D

PyroChixRock
11-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Opening bids were:

jar-jar- $25
ghostworks $150
bugzboro $500
h1jacker $525

Auction ends around 9pm pst Saturday 11/22/14! :D

jr23
11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
I could use this when I don't want to fire the scarab up. Was thinking of a bluebird. Oh well

600 bucks is my first SWAK at a bid

Kaizen
11-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Let's get this to $850

glassfreek
11-16-2014, 11:24 AM
I love seeing bids like this supporting TMP! Thank you for your contributions to the forum <3

I was asked a question about the cost to convert this to a guillotine door build. That would be in our welded steel frame and diamond plate Custom Line.

The additional cost above the credit in this auction is $320 plus freight shipping (package value is $1080). We'll give you the $45 credit toward the shipping that would have been our normal shipping charge on the package kiln above.

Our freight charges are actual transportation plus $75 to crate it up. If you are local or can have it picked up, there would be no crating or shipping costs.

The Adjustable tube rest would add $110 (telescopes in/out, up/down) (reduced by $40, the value of the stationary rod rest)
A stationary V grove rod rest would be included as listed in the package.

Your 1" punti doors are included in the $320 buy up. As would a second nested set of punti doors (to your height spec).

Fuji controller is also included.

Color choice for your frame is free. (we do not use powder coat)

Could be 110v or 220v in this size.

Here is a picture of that Custom style:

68734 Plum Purple

A better look at the rod rest, before we added the v groove portion of the rest, lets you see the beef that support it:

68735 Hunter Green

Thank you again for your support!

PyroChixRock
11-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info, Pam. :)

PyroChixRock
11-17-2014, 11:48 AM
This has now been listed in our group on facebook. You can find it here. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkGlass/permalink/392667720896401/)

PyroChixRock
11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
bump :)

PyroChixRock
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
One day left!!

harpentuan
11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
This is a great auction! Don't miss out!

IsthmusColor
11-22-2014, 05:23 AM
What's the bidding at? I do not have fb.

PyroChixRock
11-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Current bid $850. Last day! This is below retail and a great chance to get a good deal while supporting an awesome community. :D

Bidding is right here. :D

KJVolk
11-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Give me 900, and an ending time?

Dan Kooper
11-22-2014, 06:57 PM
9pm PST^

PyroChixRock
11-22-2014, 09:39 PM
KJ in the lead with $900. ends soon!

PyroChixRock
11-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Give me 900, and an ending time?

You win! Congrats! Please pm me with an email you'd like to be invoiced at.

Thanks again Glass Hive! You guys rock!! :blowkiss:

KJVolk
11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for hosting this auction! very excited. sent you a message Misha, how will the order with glass hive be handled? Should I email Pam?

PyroChixRock
11-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Sent you some info. :)

glassfreek
11-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Welcome to The Glass Hive family KJVolk! Thank you for supporting TMP in the Birthday Celebrations!

Misha got me your contact info this AM, I'm heading over to email you now :)