PDA

View Full Version : Any Paul Stankard Fans?

ackmarble
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Hello!

First time poster - short time lurker ... This past weekend, I had an experience that few (in my circle of acquaintances anyway) would appreciate (yes, maybe I need to get some different friends?) Anyway.. for several years now, I have admired the work of Glass Artist: Paul Stankard. For those of you familiar with his work, you already know what a treasure he is the Glass Art world. Some of Paul's paperweights are completely round - not flat on the bottom like some artists - and probably the reason I enjoy his work from a marble collector perspective.

For those of you who have not seen his work, I highly recommend you take a peek http://www.paulstankard.com/works.htm - Stankard has a keen eye for detail, and I believe is an artist who will impress even the most discriminating taste. I was excited (to say the least) when I heard he was coming to Nantucket displaying his work at the Dane Gallery, and also was to host an exhibit and lecture at the Whaling Museum here on the Island.

To make a long story short, not only was I able to spend some one-on-one time with him in the Gallery, but upon my invitation, he came to my home to see my marble/Glass Art sphere collection! I am admittedly a Stankard Groupie, but to have him in my home to review my collection was just a real treat!

One of the additional reasons I am very excited, is due to the fact that Paul was “inspired” to make me a marble for my collection! I just can’t believe it! It was cool in and of itself just to meet him – But then to have Paul in my home to look at my collection? And then possiblly having a Special Marble – made by Paul Stankard??!! Wow! I just had to tell someone!

“Thank-you” for allowing me to share my enthusiasm with all of you. If you have not had the pleasure of seeing his work, I hope you will. If you are interested, I would be happy to post a picture when the marble arrives …

Peace: ackmarble

john madden
08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
wow thats sounds awsome. i love that guys stuff. man anything made by him goes for serious loot. he gets like at least 1500 for inch and a half marbles. that would be a blesing just talking to him.

Mr. Whale dick
08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
who???

puddletown
08-08-2006, 12:36 AM
thats sweet! That guy makes some sick shit! definately a paperweight master!

skip
08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
He is a bad ass...

Primathon
08-08-2006, 02:24 AM
I just wanted to put a pic of his up... Jeez this guy is good...
http://www.paulstankard.com/images/pineland%20pickerel%20w%20honey.jpg

lucidvisions
08-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Wow, now that is an honor, congrats on the great experience, sounds like he's a down to earth guy.

Brett A Tam
08-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I traveled 6 hours round trip to hear a one hour lecture by Mr. Stankard. It was well worth it, he is truly the "grandfather" of American flameworkers. The only person that Robert Mickelsen calls a mentor. Rex Trimm can surely elaborate more than I can, but Mr. Stankard will help you to see like only an artist can. His work is inspired by Walt Whitman and is truly poetic. I believe he is the only American flameworker to have a solo show at the Louvre. Hello to all who have shared the Mickelsen workshops with me. Brett

Swampy
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Looks like he got the implosion thing down then... j/k

The prep must be painstaking to create work like that.

Even more incredible, the skill and patience to carry it out.

Paul

slave
08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
i was at SCC once where i met paul and fell in love with glass.. i didn't know who i was talking to and still didn't for months after that. i was watching a DeMarco class. i looked like shit and probably smelt like week old "old english" ... and paul talked to me he treated me well and didn't appear to look down on me at all..a good first impression... probably my first of many truly positive vibes from someone in the glass community though i still don't really know him or basically anything about his work i don't think i would mind.