PDA

View Full Version : heat defence gloves burning?

Snurf
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM
hi Guys
one quick ?
I left my heat defence glove by my kiln and the glove got smokin hot....I noticed this and pulled it away and left for lunch. when I returned the glove was still smokin and verrry hot.
I think it was smoldering the whole time....I had to pour water on it to put it out.....what is this glove made out of???how bad were those fumes...I'm glad I had my fan onn
Thanks Bryan Ratcliffe

HumanLathe
08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
it is the elastic in the arm part of the glove I hate that shit. it helps squeeze the glove on to your arm....they really need to change that shit, that rubber gets all over your glass.

Snurf
08-18-2006, 11:31 AM
hmm it was smoking in the hand part of the glove not the wrist...kinda freaky..and most of the palm section has desinigrated.....My pad has held up way better than the glove...I wonder why

Vapor Glass
08-18-2006, 12:16 PM
i think i read somewhere that someone left a glove in the kiln. and it burnt up to nothing.

keep these things away from your kilns! i use the yellow wale gloves to put pieces away and the heat denfese to hold pieces while out of the kiln.

no clue as to what they are made from but i wouldnt breath it!

HumanLathe
08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I think the pad has no elastic thread so whatever material they use for sewing it doesnt burn.

Firekist
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
i don't think the company has ever answered what the material is..
based on other heat defense products on the web, it seems likely to be carbon fiber, possibly with some silicon something or other.. shrug.

anyone gotten the msds on the gloves yet?

z--seth

lucidvisions
08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
We had a pair and they frayed very baddly, as did the pad. They were great though don't get me wrong and I'd still use them if my thumb wasn't exposed. Damn opposable digits getting in the way! lol I'd guess though that mine might have been by the kiln also and it might have been a factor in their demise, it just seemed strange to have them only last for a month or so when they seemed to do such a good job at keeping the heat from burning you.

Josh

The Goat
08-18-2006, 05:50 PM
my bud has a pair from moutain glass arts and when you try to hold on to something for a minute or two the heat sinks through and gets too hot and burns your hands, any one else had that problem

Firekist
08-18-2006, 07:08 PM
if you wear a glove under the heat defense, that helps.
keeping the pads DRY also helps.

aluminized gloves holding a heat defense pad, holding the piece has given me the most comfort/longest holding time.

i still hate holding hot glass.

z--seth

HumanLathe
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
my bud has a pair from moutain glass arts and when you try to hold on to something for a minute or two the heat sinks through and gets too hot and burns your hands, any one else had that problem

What I have heard is that it is the moisture on your hands that begins to boil on the surface that burns your hands, mmmmm nice isnt it LOL!

Vapor Glass
08-18-2006, 07:45 PM
they wont fray if you dont cut them. ive had 3 pads and 2 mitts for well over a year now still going strong. you just have to keep them away from sharp ends etc.

The Goat
08-18-2006, 09:55 PM
I haven't used them yet I just hold a big peice with chanel lock pliers with peices of kevelar on them so they dont scrach the glass. hehe

and i guess we do have some moisture on our hands with these temps lately.

what do you do dry them with a towel or something? maby flash them through the flame real quick to dry em.:guyonfire:dieslaugh

Firekist
08-19-2006, 08:21 AM
nah erik, those pads and mitts will just decompose eventually. possibly from using it on glass that's "too hot".. not exactly sure.
i know i never snagged mine with anything other than smooth glass.. and the thumb's almost completely gone on the glove, and i've got a small hole started on the pad, both are just over ayear old, with actually light use.

the aluminized glove layer stops moisture, that's why it works so well.. but you can't touch hot glass with the aluminized glove without it leaving a residue.

a heat defense glove with aluminized layer on the inside.. that's the next generation =)

z--seth

Vapor Glass
08-19-2006, 08:30 AM
man ill bet somewhere you cleaned a piece of dichro or a rod or something to start the fraying. and what are you holding that is hotter than kiln temp hot?

pyrorob05
08-19-2006, 08:34 AM
ive had my gloves 2 years now and there just starting to be unuseable they have held up great they have a couple holes but i just have a smaller kevlar one underneath now and sleeve the heat defense over the top