PDA

View Full Version : Airports... torch?

jello
09-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Hello all,

Im on my way back to Las Vegas to pick up the rest of my shop and fly it back to Alaska..

Has anyone every carried on their torch?..

I have to ship up 3k punds of raw glass and such so I have to break it all down and check in my glass.. but I want to carry on my torch. I know that I can not bring color rods in my carry on or any tools... has anyone else tried this?.

it's going to end up costing me .85 per pound on Alaskan freight.. wish there was a cheaper way...
thanks

pacosaki
09-11-2006, 03:49 PM
You could try just wraping up your torch and some of the heavier tools in your luggage. They may hit you with a slight charge for having a suitcase that is over 75 lbs. but at least it gets there when you do.....in theory.....
Marble On!
Mikey

jello
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Yea I get 2 checked baggage (free)... and I have to buy 3 more boxes at 50lbs each that cost 50.00 ea to check in...after the first 3 the cost goes up to 75.00 per box of 50lb then it goes up to 125.00 per 50lb box... sux

I need to know if anyone has ever brought their torch in the carry on bag thats allowed...
thanks for the post!

J McGhee
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
well if you read the laws at TSA, you are not to carry or check in a torch in your luggage, so if you want take the chance, and have your torch taken and have to spend alot of your time trying to deal with TSA, go ahead but heres a site for some info

Flammable Items
Carry-on
Checked

Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)
No
No

Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel)
No
No

Gasoline
No
No

Gas Torches
No
No

Lighter Fluid
No
No

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#7

Greymatter Glass
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Best thing on the torch is ship it UPS or FedEx and get it insured. Ship it a day or 2 before you leave so it gets there right after you arrive.

-Doug

jello
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
well if you read the laws at TSA, you are not to carry or check in a torch in your luggage, so if you want take the chance, and have your torch taken and have to spend alot of your time trying to deal with TSA, go ahead but heres a site for some info

Flammable Items
Carry-on
Checked

Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)
No
No

Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel)
No
No

Gasoline
No
No

Gas Torches
No
No

Lighter Fluid
No
No

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#7

Looks like I gotta ship her... thanks for the TSA link im on it...

LFC
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Well I don't know if htis counts becasue it was in a smaller airport but I carried my cuda right on to the plane, When I went out to tuscon for the big gem show and best bead show this past febuary, I got I really good del on a cuda, not whanting to risk it shipping it back( plus I was emotional attached to it at this point) I carried it right on the plane in its brown box, secruity kind of wigged out a little, the brought me over to a side table and they put it on a special table and such, but I just comley explained to them what it was and what it was used for and told them that thre were instructions for it in the ox, the biggest concer they had about it was just to make shure there was no fuel or anything with it, this hole thing only took about 2 mintues max to explain and they were really nice about it and sent me on my merry way, maybe this was just a fluke or something but I had no problems at all.

Hope that helps!!

jello
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Hmm.... yes it does... well no im confused.. should I risk bringing the CC on with me?... or just pay the 50.00 to ship it... if I call them I know they will tell me no for sure..
thanks for the post. somthing to think about

baggedchevys
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
cant you just crate all your stuff up and ship it with a major carrier? thats what we use to do at the hot rod shop i worked at with our displays. put them all in a wooden crate and call the dude to come pick it up.

jello
09-11-2006, 07:49 PM
cant you just crate all your stuff up and ship it with a major carrier? thats what we use to do at the hot rod shop i worked at with our displays. put them all in a wooden crate and call the dude to come pick it up.

But the problem is $$$$$$.. you see to send pallets to Alaska is pretty spendy.. Im over 4000 miles from orgin

smutboy420
09-12-2006, 07:05 AM
What about usps priority mail? or DHL if they have locations where your going.

BTW DHL is cheap as hell. I just shipped a kiln to ND from NY $26
UPS wanted more then $100

jello
09-12-2006, 09:08 AM
What about usps priority mail? or DHL if they have locations where your going.

BTW DHL is cheap as hell. I just shipped a kiln to ND from NY $26
UPS wanted more then $100

I'll have to check out the DHL link.. thanks Smutboy..
I know that FedEx and UPS charged over 125.00 for a 70lb box... so maybe DHL will be a cheaper link.. thanks again

JDeMoss
09-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Deb Carlson carries hers on. But she dresses really nice and carries a magazine or catalog with the exact same torch in it so they can see what it is for. But she probably looks classy rather than like the rest of us, so she can get away with it.

oosiris
09-12-2006, 09:28 AM
My guess as to the above mentioned of gas torches is the type that has the built-in fuel source. I understand that security is intense now but the whole point is still safety. Since they are not going to allow a fuel source on, and you are not planning on trying to carry on a fuel source, I do not see how if calmly and rationally explained what it is how they could say no. However, in the same breath, I can see them easily being irrational about and not even trying to listen to an explanation. I think it will/would all boil down to the person that you deal with.

jello
09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
My guess as to the above mentioned of gas torches is the type that has the built-in fuel source. I understand that security is intense now but the whole point is still safety. Since they are not going to allow a fuel source on, and you are not planning on trying to carry on a fuel source, I do not see how if calmly and rationally explained what it is how they could say no. However, in the same breath, I can see them easily being irrational about and not even trying to listen to an explanation. I think it will/would all boil down to the person that you deal with.

Well I called TSA... They told me that Self Contained with Gas source is not allowed.
But when I try to explain to the lady what the torch really is I still get the "I don't really know, you can take your chances".
What kind of response is that?... take my chances coming from a TSA agent? WTF.. this does not make me feel safe

Chris Carlson
09-12-2006, 09:41 AM
the last time i flew with my torch, they broke it.

oosiris
09-12-2006, 09:41 AM
My dad works for TSA and I can tell you there is a large turn-over rate, at least in this area. Since there are a lot of new people and there are a lot of rules and a lot of continuely changing rules, this reply is somewhat expected. I'd call back and try and speak to another TSA agent, better yet take it to the airport and talk to an agent (I know that's a pain). Boils down to how much is it worth to you to deal with all this vs. shipping it.

sunray
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Take the stand off (wrap it seperate) and wrap it real good in bubble wrap and get a $8.10 one price (Free Box) priority box and ship it.. Add tracking and insurance.. I ship 10 lbs of color shorts in those boxes all the time and its the same price to Alaska. They also get there in 2 -3 days

jello
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
My dad works for TSA and I can tell you there is a large turn-over rate, at least in this area. Since there are a lot of new people and there are a lot of rules and a lot of continuely changing rules, this reply is somewhat expected. I'd call back and try and speak to another TSA agent, better yet take it to the airport and talk to an agent (I know that's a pain). Boils down to how much is it worth to you to deal with all this vs. shipping it.

True True... I will call again. Im in Anchorage so I dont have my torch with me to take to them. but, mabe a pic and the CC specs will work... Im only a few blocks frm the Airport so maybe I'll shoot over there.. thanks

oosiris
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
You are welcome and good luck.

Meerkat
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I am traveling right now and have been carrying my torch on every flight with no problem.

I just recently traveled from Brisbane Australia to Aucklund New Zealand to San Fran to Vancouver and then Vancouver to Denver and Denver to Kansas City, so 5 flights in all, which was 5 individual security check points and 5 different airports, two of them international, so I would say that I have been put through my paces of al the differnt TSA employees and rules that are out there.

I carry my torch in a metal briefcase, which i usually carry glass in, it has foam padding, the torch is wrapped up in bubble wrap and I have about 3 meteres of hose in there (for both lines), its big and heavy !

At each security checkpoint, no one freaked out, and I thought they would, cuz a dude carrying a heavy metal breifcase looks like a bomb IMO. But I put it on the convayer belt and it gets xrayed and every single time they pull me to the side so they can open it, which I let them do, and everytime I offer to show them the GTT website that I have printed out that shows specs and info on the torch but they dont want to see the paper work. They look at it, ask what it is, usually a higher person up gets called over, and every single time they say, go on through.... no worries mate (well ok they only said that last part at the Australian and NZ airport :)

But you would espeially think in a major international airport like SF they would really have sticks up their butts about such things, but nope, never had a problem, I think a good part too is your looks, cuz they make a judgment call. I also tell them, without them asking, the reason I am carrying it on is that it cost me almost 2 grand and its a delicate piece of equipment and I didnt want to check it, they seem to understand that, I also say "Im an artist", I dunno if that does anything, but I feel that they might give you a little lee way towards eccentricity by saying that.

Definetly one of the things I learned is that the people who do the bag searches after it comes out of the xray machine, their biggest annoyance and maybe a huge red flag is when you want to be too helpful, like carrying your bag to the searching area or offering to open it for them (if they want you to open it, they will ask you to do so). So if they do wanna check your torch case, just walk to where they point, listen and follow instructions.

I am also carrying my laptop, little bag wth various perosnal effects and ID that make me look more like a typical traveler, I have a book that isnt about anything poltiicol, I have a bag of nuts to eat on the plane, etc... etc... try to look boring and normal is my advice.

Of course the dumbest thing is, they let me on with my GTT but made my throw away my bottle of water and my hand sanitizer gel. Cuz ya know, when you think about it, I have no idea how I would kill someone with a bottle of water, but I could easily grab my GTT and slam that up against someons head and knock them out cold... go fig......

jello
09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
No Shit..... Thats sounds great!... I will try to carry it. But if all else fails will the check it or ASK me to dump it?... Crossing my fingers... Did you call the Airport before hand in Aussie? or just show up
thanks mate (seemed fitting)

Primathon
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Whatever you do, don't stick a vibrator in your pants (http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&thread_id=68619) before you get on the plane.

jello
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Whatever you do, don't stick a vibrator in your pants (http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&thread_id=68619) before you get on the plane.

That was funny.. thanks for the link.... maybe I should put my CC down my pants and see the look on their face...

jello
02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
UPDATE:

OK, no problems at all carring on my CC, the Agent in Vegas knew what it was for.
I went down to the airport 1 day before my flight and showed my CC and 2 carry on bags that had 75lbs of clear rod and 100lbs of color rod. I had to break down all the glass to fit but i got nice 18in rods. 175lbs of rod is alot of glass to be hauling around. but with my suprise the Sup Agent said NO PROBLEM. I also had about 15 graphite tools with me.
but, it would be up to the Agent on duty to make the call... but all in all it was no problem.
you can bring as much glass back with you as you can carry... I liked hauling it instead of checking it and the 50lb limit kinda sucks...

UmaJulz
02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm glad that you got that all taken care of, and didn't have any problems. It is always good to know other's experiences with stuff like this, because it seems like every week there is some new rule, or restriction, or wrong interpretation of the TSA guidelines. thanks for posting!

Norskiglass
07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
This is all good info for my trip to Alaska in Sept. ~Thanks for the 411.

~W~

girlglass
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I've flown with my torch lots of times. I have a VCR case that's like a metal camera/gun case only deeper and all padded. I've taken it to Germany as well as lots of places in the US and I've never had a problem. But I check it. I'm not sure I would carry it on. Just pack it well!
Sabina
Shoot, didn't see there was another page.... glad to hear it all worked out!

steven p selchow
07-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Just a word from flying into or out of SPO (San Francisco). They destroyed my luggage..checked. I filed a claim with Covenant Security, under contract with the TSA, but they denied my claim, then I appealed, got denied again.

so I find out after talking to a lawyer, they have to turn over the video footage of them going through my luggage.

I tell them that, then and only then do they admit that a video exhists, but get this..I have to fly back to SF to view the edited release which the TSA authorised...now on principle alone, the cost is more than the claim, so I get Homeland security involved, the Justice Dept., make my point and pretty much get ignored from here on out.

San Francisco is not a good place to stop over in, they hire the keystone cops to do security, so be careful out their.

steve