PDA

View Full Version : What was the coolest thing you ever burned?

Anakin's Glass Eye
07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Or I should ask: What was the thing that you burned that made the coolest fire? Not including fireworks.

When I was a teenage pyro delinquent I lived in the Chicago burbs in a small subdivision surrounded by corn fields. One night me and the bro had a couple extra matches and needed something to burn. For some reason I had this stupid stuffed animal laying around that I had won at Six Flags Great America. Wouldn't ya know, those things soak up the gasoline like crazy! Not content to just set it afire and watch, we snuck through the corn field (the corn was tall back then) to the edge of the ditch at the main road passing the subdivision. As he lit it, I threw it. It made it about half way to the street and exploded into a cloud of flaming stuffing - very cool. I remember blue flames. As the burning remains landed in the ditch, everything started on fire. We're talking major fire. I never ran so fast. We could see the flames from our house. We were this close to calling the fire department but that would have gotten us busted for sure. Luckily we just waited and the fire went out on it's own.

We we're some fu@*ed up kids. I'd still be in jail if I'd been cought for half the things I did. Getting away with it is just the perks of small town livin.

jiminyrootkit
07-21-2005, 04:54 AM
i just made explosives when i was a kid....i was always cookin up some dangerous shit or another....take a 55gal steel drum, wash it out, drill a small hole in the cap and jb-weld (or whatever) a model rocket ignitor into the hole (i'm told this is supposed to work with a spark plug too, but i think you'd need the coil from the distributor to make it spark, so i never tried that)
pour a pint of gasoline into the barrel and roll it over a couple times to get the gas evaporated
then run at least 300 yards (longer is better) of wire back to a safe location (like a bunker or behing a hill or some shit)
touch those wires (which you hooked up to the ignitor) to a car battery and FUCKINGBANG!
do not do this shit inside city limits. windows break. lots of windows.
it turns that drum into a big flat chunk of metal.....fuckin evil man.
-f

bc
07-21-2005, 05:57 AM
I burned do the neighborhood.

IrieGuy05
07-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I had a potato gun and thats all I will talk about on an open forum... ;)

harpentuan
07-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Poured gasoline on a skateboard and ripped around with it lit.

I watched a guy throw his tuned wooden acoustic guitar into a campfire...super bright light and strings popping.

Mac Maestro
07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
click for visual (http://www.webchief.com/albums/bonfire/BurningGuitar.jpg)
Cool!

I'd have to say anything that could have model rocket engines strapped to it got the burn.

WORLD FAMOUS
07-21-2005, 07:40 AM
I worked at a print shop for a few years, and we had an old Xerox machine that sat in the back that no one would buy/fix/toss, so we dragged it to the owners house for 4th of July. Next thing I know some of my friends/co-workers/machine tech's come from the garage with duct tape sparkler bombs and M-100's. Needless to say we blew the shit out of that machine, several times. Someone 'forgot' to empty the paper decks too, and there was this raging fire with tons of smoke afterwards. We were right next to railroad tracks, and a train just happened to come by right when we set everything off, and the train was covered in smoke - good thing it was on tracks or they might have wrecked (hardyharhar). It was so hard to see anything around us, and then the fire department showed up. Busted. We barely escaped fines and such being it was 4th of July, but that was a blast. (Hey Glassbackwards, ask Scott & Alita about that one, this was at his mom's house in Tenino a few years back...lol).

Greymatter Glass
07-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I spread about 20 pounds of calcium carbide on the snow one day and lit that... burning snow is cool.

Pouring cups of lighter fluid on pumpkins at holloween.

I've done thing that have put holes in city streets (homemade thermite is fun)

When my aunt was building a house my dad got a blasting permit, we cut down trees and flipped over _HUGE_ boulders with nothing more than primer cord.

I got my hands on a 2 or 3 pound blob of metallic sodium once, I still have some somewhere, it's stored in diesel fuel... but when a goldball sized chunk is thrown in a swimming poll it makes a REALLY cool light show.

aaaaah..... My Pyro days. Now I'm content shooting guns, welding, blowing glass, and starting bonfires / lighting fireplaces. I must be getting old.

Nowdays doing some of the stuff I did (and this was only 10-15 years ago) would probably have Homeland security on your ass ina heart beat.

Those were the days.

-Doug

blazeoffire
07-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Lit my parents back yard on fire when i was 11.
Talkin big f-ing fire two acres black yard after the fire department put it out.
I was trying to have a camp fire after school one day... stupid boyscout! :mad1: http://www.thegldg.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=5# :| :|

jiminyrootkit
07-21-2005, 01:26 PM
oh man, it HAS been too long.....how could i forget THERMITE!?
anyone here ever built a hellhound? :fire
-f

NUBBLET
07-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Myself .

kbinkster
07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
One time, my brother and I made a home video with an rc truck and a bunch of stuff we set on fire. It was funny to melt our old toys and stuff. The fire wasn't all that spectacular, but it had a lot of entertainment value at the time. Flaming plastic can make some pretty colors, though.

broken glass
07-21-2005, 05:42 PM
this one time a long time ago, i burned a phatty, it was cool.
I was very proud of my self for having a such a cool phatty to burn so I went all around town burning this cigar looking phatty and flipping people off. Then i saw a cop, so i flipped him off. He stole my half burned phatty. I felt really cool.

The End

Joseph Corcoran
07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I would have to say going out to my friends place and watching them fill 55 gal drums with oxy/acetelyne and blow it up with cannon fuse.

Those are the loudest thing i've ever heard/seen in real life.

misticglass
07-22-2005, 08:25 PM
the biggest bomb i made was in middle school. there was this alley behind a local walgreens where me and some friends found a big old metal bucket. in this bucket, we emptied a bottle of lighter fluid a few packs of lighters and the biggest can of WD40 we could aquire. after the lighter fluid was lit we ran like hell and 5 minutes later there was a mushroom cloud taller than the walgreens in the middle of the day.

good sh*t

=][\/][=

Loïc
07-22-2005, 08:43 PM
i used to blown some old propane tank, after 10years, they wont refill it anymore, i got a bunch laying at my camp, with like a ¼ to ½ fill in em.. i kept in when i know i couldnt refill anymore...
i went to a ?-pitsand-? and put the tank between rocks in the middle of it, then behind a rock at 100~150~yards shooting it with the springfield30-06... i got some decent size rock flying like ¼+ miles high....

BUt THe COoLESt ThinG I eVeR BUrn is ME -> BeCaUSe I AM the COOLEST .. !!
MuHahAhAhaaaa :evilLaugh <-- LoUD DeVil LAuGh

back to beer....

Micah Evans
07-22-2005, 09:26 PM
all right where to begin,

one of the list toppers has to be fourth of july in 7th grade, me and my trailer park friends letting off firecrackers in a field. We lit a few off, went back home to lift a couple of Bartles and James wine coolers from a buddys mom, and when we came back the fire truck was battling a 6 acre blaze. When asked we blamed it on the kid with a speech impediment. his name was Josh Mycock, he had a problem pronouncing J's so it sounded like Wash Mycock, no shit. kids can be so cruel.

Soon thereafter we discovered most of our dads had black powder (gun powder) under lock and key, which never slowed us down. Some PVC and cannon fuse later we were blowing shit away. We then got caught making one by my friends crazy dad. We thought we were dead meat, but he just yelled at us for doing it wrong and showed us how to make them out of metal pipe leaving one end open so as we could stuff it full of broken glass, nails and random rusty metal to create a sort of land mine. After that lesson at 13 years old we were all so freaked out we never made one again. Later in life we realised what a pipe bomb was and how fucked we would have been to get caught by the cops with one of those.

Now the one that tops the list had to be a fishing story. My friend with the crazy dad from the previous story and I went fishing at the Potholes resivoir in eastern Washington. We were fishing at a secluded lake for bass and were having little luck, the game warden stopped by and told us they were killing off all the bass in two days to replant it with trout so there were no restrictions and no limits. We tried everything from snagging them to netting them cuz they sure as hell weren't biting, but nothing worked. Back at camp we were bitching to his dad about our problem when he litterally tossed us a conaitner. We opened it up to find a bunch of blasting caps,(quarter sticks of dynamite) he told us that should do the trick, but we had to take "adult supervision with us" . the guy he had in mind was a parollee friend of his that just got fired from his job and needed something to do between cases of beer. so first thing the next morning we were off, the blasting caps came in two parts, the detonator and the carge. The detonator was a tube with two small loops at the top and the charge slid inside. All we had to do was attach a insulated wire to the loops and at the other end of the wires touch the tips to either end of a D cell battery and we were in business! We found our spot at the top of a 10 food rock shelf whick then went about 20 feet underwater straight down, we could see big groups of FAT bass swimming by and all we had to do was wait for a big group, drop ing the shiney charge and when the came by BOOM....dinner. So we waited for our first group of victims to unsuspectingly swim by and it didn't take long. BOOM, we all cheered as the fish came floating to the surface, and then something happened we didn't expect....they started to sink. My friend and i dove off the cliff scoopin up as many fish as possible before they sank out of reach and hookshotting them back on top of the cliff where our "helper " put them on the stringer. We also learned of the fish weren't close enough to the charge they were only knocked out, so it was also a race to throw them back up before these big ass bass came to and started beating the shit out of us while we dogpaddled like crazy. So now we had figured out our technique, all we had to do was catch some fish. Over the next couple of ours we accumulated about 30 plump fish, we soon realised we had a little problem, we had only one detonator and 3 charges left, what a waste! Just as we started to bitch our adult supervision ran to the truck and came back with the Duct tape. He proeeded to tape the three remaining charges to the one detonator so as we could get one last catch! My buddy and I decided we should climb down to the bottom of the cliff near the water so we could jump in with no delay and claim our prize! We were agreed that we should let all the small groups go by and wait for the big daddy group that was bound to come. Almost an hour went by before we saw our group of doomed little fishies. It was a big one, the count down began and we leaned off ready to jump. What we didn't realise was that all or previous blasts had shortened the wire A LOT, when coupled with the extra charge the result was quite different than we expected. The charge went off and we were witness to the largest geyser of lake water and bass guts ever seen by man, my friend and i were covered with god knows what and were left to dive in and scrubb fishguts off of ourselves all the time hearing through the ringing in our ears the drunken cackles of our trigger man. After all was said and done we did eat well that night but i was pulling fish scales off my body for a week.

i haven't told that story in years,

me

Micah Evans
07-22-2005, 09:28 PM
sorry, not much fire in that last story!lol

me

Joseph Corcoran
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
that story was really good though!

jazz
07-23-2005, 12:37 PM
def a kikass story!!!

kbinkster
07-23-2005, 01:54 PM
That was one of the best fishing stories ever! You really ought to consider submitting it to a magazine or something. Really, that was great!

Udai Hussien
07-23-2005, 02:26 PM
I remember this one time, I used to be a graphic artist, and I worked at a vinyl shop, we did mostly APBA (boat) racers, helmets, pinstriping, and custom singage. Well anyways, we were making signs for a local furnature store, the deminsions were 8 foot by 5 foot signs, and we did a total of 225 signs for the place. After something was plotted out, and laid, there was a teflon backing to the film. Well I would take the backing material, and stuff it into an old 55 gallon drum, top it off with some left over warm weather reducer, and flambe the fuck out of it. Well we were in crunch time and I had been stuffing the hobo barrel for like 4 hours, It was hella windy that day, gusts upto 25 Mph, I them had a mason jar full of used warm weather reducer, and epoxy enamel (yes now outlawed in the US for production and usage, I have another story about that shit). Well I finnally went outside to pop that cherry, I doused it in the mixture, went inside, grabbed another beer, then struck a match. It was like a fucking cannon, the wind caught it and it ws flaming debris 20 foot in the air, blowing into a neighborhood. I caught a wooden fence on fire, and burned it down, so the money I made from the job I forked to some old broad to buy a new fence...

WORLD FAMOUS
07-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I had a similar story with the 55 gallon drums.

We had one of the 55 gallon drums in our backyard to burn yard debris in. One day I crammed it full of sticks and leaves and dry dead grass like usual when I did yard work, but this time I thought it would be rad to dump a bunch of gas on it too, what the hell, right? Well, next thing I know I throw in a lit stick in the barrel and the thing goes off like a huge cannon, emitting a mushroom cloud of smoke as it shot flaming yard debris all over me and my neighbors yard, our cars, our boat, the garage roof, not to mention the ringing in my unsuspecting ears...People came running out of their houses all down the street. I was kinda shook up after that...lol.

Good thing that was pre 9/11 too or I might not be here today...Hell, if the drum exploded instead of forcing the explosion out the top of it, I wouldn't be here today either. I was only like 10 feet away, and not expecting the blast, just a huge flame at most. At least I didn't scream like a little girl, but I bet it was funny as hell to see me duck and cover all wussy and scared looking!

Don't play with fire!!! Uhh wait, then we'd all be out of jobs. Just be careful with fire!!!

Micah Evans
07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks kbinkster, i have been meaning to put together a group of short stories like that one from my younger crazier days. You should hear the one about the special olympis fishing tournament!

Udai Hussien
07-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I had a similar story with the 55 gallon drums.

We had one of the 55 gallon drums in our backyard to burn yard debris in. One day I crammed it full of sticks and leaves and dry dead grass like usual when I did yard work, but this time I thought it would be rad to dump a bunch of gas on it too, what the hell, right? Well, next thing I know I throw in a lit stick in the barrel and the thing goes off like a huge cannon, emitting a mushroom cloud of smoke as it shot flaming yard debris all over me and my neighbors yard, our cars, our boat, the garage roof, not to mention the ringing in my unsuspecting ears...People came running out of their houses all down the street. I was kinda shook up after that...lol.

Good thing that was pre 9/11 too or I might not be here today...Hell, if the drum exploded instead of forcing the explosion out the top of it, I wouldn't be here today either. I was only like 10 feet away, and not expecting the blast, just a huge flame at most. At least I didn't scream like a little girl, but I bet it was funny as hell to see me duck and cover all wussy and scared looking!

Don't play with fire!!! Uhh wait, then we'd all be out of jobs. Just be careful with fire!!!

I think it should be, Don't play with 55 gallon drums... Yeah I had the smoke filled mushroom cloud too.. that shit was funny as hell

IrieGuy05
07-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I used to have a thing for melting plastic and also mixing styrofome with gas and burning the resulting gooey mess...