PDA

View Full Version : merman

steven p selchow
07-23-2005, 11:21 AM
did this for the werewolf cafe in Chicago, he wants a large werewolf to display in the cafe too. can't upload, try again.

steven p selchow
07-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Ok..lets see if this work...merman (www.glassartists.org/Images/UserImages/Img57789_000_001.jpg)

Julian
07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Sweet... thats a Merman? I was flooping in Lake Michigan last week and thinking, why does nobody ever talk about Mermen? Whats the counter part to a mermaid... a Sailor? Well, come to think of it, plenty of sailors are gay, so I bet they DO think about Mermen. Um... I don't really though, but I am right now.
Never mind.
Anyway, nice piece.... this is hardly a surprise.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
What is that fuzzy looking blue stuff that is the middle base?
That peach color looks pretty bubble free, it isn't NS peach is it?

steven p selchow
07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
ns peach from the 2002 batch, over 3/4 rod. The fuzzy mount is blue coral I managed to get a few pieces, its scarce to get I understand.

Thats how the guy wanted the piece to look, he drew it up, I made it from there.

Mr. Smiley
07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Sweet piece Steve. The blue coral is just bleached dead coral that is collected and dyed, I believe. Might try some of the regular white coral soaked in blue RIT dye. :)

steven p selchow
07-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks Brent...It is dyed, I don't lik e using coral anymore , A company in Ft. Lauderdale has supplied me over the years, but now you can't get most of the species, and they use to make up a coral reef scene, using a cement type baked base with various corals and other under sea life. These are unavailable now, and only have a limited supply of certian types, maybe until they run out. But I have requests to do undersea scenes, thats why I keep some available, for how long more is questionable.

I have a bunch of bleached white if I want to dye it sometime.

steve :ohwell:

Julian
07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Aha, peach over 3/4 rod. Thanks, it looks great.
You could also make a grand glass coral sculpture as a base. It would probably look even better.

steven p selchow
07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
agreed Julian, next time, but it adds considerable to the cost, which is most preferably to me, but not to some, but the whole piece would be me, glad you like, and thanks.

steve