PDA

View Full Version : Button clasp question?

Paxton
07-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I was at an art market, and had a few people request that I make some glass buttons for next month. I was wondering what a good way to make the back clasp. It seems that a loop just melted into the back would not have enough integrity to go the long haul, unless it was too big to be practical. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paxton

-Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative.-
Chesterton

Mr. Wonka
07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey Paxton.
I never liked the glass loops, so I use "button backs" and glue them to the back of a glass button. You can get them at most fabric stores, or from Rings and Things (https://www.rings-things.com/cgi-bin/hazel/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/HzSt011616150m0m1617160U0n0n10110m1012161716/hazel.cgi?action=detail&item=30-668)
Hope that helps, and I'll see ya soon :)

Edit: fixed link...also, they're called "button shanks"

brettodie
07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
bad link tom :( sorry i wont get to see you at agi once again but someday i swear il make it :) peace have a good one brett

Mr. Wonka
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
All fixed Brett. Yeah, I hope you can make it out here some day. Let me know if you're passing through anytime- you're always welcome bro :) Also, tell your Dad I said hello!

sevin dummerville
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I like to tungsten pick holes through the button.

Grandflush
07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
A few weeks back a guy approached me with several antique glass button presses for sale. I'd never seen one before, big thing about 2 feet long with two handles. You stick a hot glob of glass in the press and squeeze the handles together, forming a button- basically a press mold.

The guy showed me a button made from the press and it ended up with a small bit of glass underneath the center of the button. The press had a wire that poked a tiny thread sized hole through the small bit of glass underneath. The machine was designed to press a round button and poke the hole all in one motion.

Unfortunatly the guy wanted a thousand bucks for the presses (he had several for sale) which I could not afford. If I could have bought one I would have, they were very cool little machines. I was imagining sticking a molten small implosion pendant in there and 5 seconds later pulling out a button.

Paxton
07-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll try the button shanks, and possibly the tungsten pick. Just curious, what kind of glue do you use Tom...I am thinking about making some brooches, hairclips, and refrigerator magnets, but I don't want to sell them until I know the glue will hold good. Any info on a nice brooch (sp?) pen with a flat gluable front would be nice as well. Thanks.

Paxton.