PDA

View Full Version : dowwwww- opals

dnug42
07-28-2005, 06:51 PM
ok- had some opals around the studio- so once again i tried to make some pendants...so i went 1 4 2- i don't know what i did differently between the two but one blew up in the kiln and the other made it.
i pre heated opal's in kiln and tube imploded both and shaped into pendants-
after which i kinna remembered hearing something about sucking air out of tube as you implode...but i forgot to do that- anyhow one did make it and i am defiantly doing the salvage job on the second, cause it's good size...so anyone got a tip to kick me down?!- most appreciated!- as always i will try try again.
thanks
d

bc
07-28-2005, 07:55 PM
bet you ddin't get your opals from grandpa. hint

3 rip min
07-29-2005, 07:09 AM
i have never had an opal crack... i got mine from gramps...

Udai Hussien
07-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Grampa has the best opals... Is he still around? I love his fumework

Mark F
07-29-2005, 08:03 AM
I do mine the same. Implode in a tube, I've sucked the air out sometimes and haven't but once in a while one will explode. I'm not sure if it was the opal, but I think it was the color that I backed it with.

cheng076
07-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Anyone care to post a link to "grampa"?
Never tried opals ... little expensive ... but if I can get good quality at good prices I'll jump on it. Always open to new stuff.
PJ

Udai Hussien
07-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I dont remember granpas site, but I remember it was like $2 a gram, something like that... it was black or white opal... good stuph!

Tzonis
07-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Grandpa's site is : http://www.profoundglass.com/

dnug42
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
interesting how something which is created from the earth, (i think) can vary from one supplier to the next- well i guess i have no choice but to get some of grandpas crunchy opals...i wont even say whom i got mine from- but everything that distributer sold me was crap!
one other thing- do you put what ever you created into the kiln directly or let it sit in vermiculite first-? or does that not really matter?

Udai Hussien
07-29-2005, 09:59 AM
interesting how something which is created from the earth, (i think) can vary from one supplier to the next- well i guess i have no choice but to get some of grandpas crunchy opals...i wont even say whom i got mine from- but everything that distributer sold me was crap!
one other thing- do you put what ever you created into the kiln directly or let it sit in vermiculite first-? or does that not really matter?

Boro opal isn't "technically" from the earth. all i have used, was cold set, then annealed

Royal
07-29-2005, 10:09 AM
i have never had a carbachon* opal crack. i have had rough chunks crack multiple times though. i get all mine from gramps too.

bc
07-29-2005, 01:07 PM
gilson opals are not organically form the earth. They are man made. Gilson is the name you want, their are other syntheic opals out there that burn up, crack etc. YOU DO NOT WANT THESE. grandpa only has gilson an their more than 2 bucks a gram, look for around 15 per gram, which you can get about ten nice chunks out of so.........there worth it.

dnug42
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
nice! ya i goin with the grampster! frigin ones i got said they were gilson(they told me so)- but what ever- guess ya gots to trust your distrib- and not just look 4 the lower price cause ya gets whut ya pay for...well live and lean....or live to burn...or burn to live...

3 rip min
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
dnug just say the guys name... fuck him if he is selling bunk shit...

bc
07-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Word!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julian
07-30-2005, 11:43 AM
I've used a lot of opals, rough and cabechon, from a few different sources and I have only had one crack.
:mob:
It was a cold worked pendant with three opal hearts in the middle surrounded by some crap and some old experimental (double dense) morroccan sparkle. Something about this cracked. I think it was one of the opals, which I did get from Profound Grandpa. It could have been my fault, or it could have been one of the opals.
I reheated it and the crack went away, but now I'm left with a 'broken heart' pendant. Kind of cool actually if you could do that on purpose.