The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

• Glassroots Art Show 2012 *sneak peek*

preparations are underway for the 2012 Glassroots Art Show in Madison, Wisconsin. it's still really early but it's getting exciting. the format will be unique, one collab comp for couples. is love the decider? the happiest couple will take home a pair of delta elites.

the other comp was tricky. we wanted a lathe competition but we needed 6 identical lathes. i've never seen two identical lathes lol. so, blastshield made them up! we will show the world that we can bring the market to the artist!!! these are a new model of lathe made especially for shows and demos and the winning team will take one home. 10k value!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Glassroots Art Show 2012 *sneak peek* started by mer View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      Eric S -
      yeah i wonder what "made especially for shows and demos" means. did they just rush these to get finished ahead of production for this event? or are they actually made to be lightweight and/or dissasembled for easy moving? If so i'd like to see how sturdy they are and how they look like they'd stand up to long hours.
      Forche -
      I haven't seen one yet, but Darrell has told me he has been working close with some glassblowers and has been working on the design and production for about a year now...I'm gunna drive up to Phoenix as soon as he has a viewable prodotype
      spiralout -
      No lathes at the show this year. it would have been rushed and not up to par. eric, looks like you won't need to make the trip. when these lathes do come out. i have no doubt they will be every bit as nice as all the rest of Blast Shields tools... ps. he is still giving away a lathe for 1st place so i know he plans on finishing them.
      Forche -
      So is the flame off/lathe off still on...just no lathes?
      spiralout -
      It is still on. It is now a lathe inspired flame off. Teams are going to follow the rule of bring two, make one. Instead of the teams having 2 days to complete the piece at the convention center, they will now have one day to assemble and complete their piece. 3 Teams go one day, 3 teams go the next day. The pieces should be much bigger/nicer since they will be able to work from their own space on 2/3 of it.
      mer -
      this should be epic, they get to do the bulk of their work on their own lathes and we get to watch them put it all together!!! with a 10k lathe as a prize I hope we watch these guys really throw down hard. can't wait! looking good Spiralout!!!
      Forche -
      Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
      it is still on. It is now a lathe inspired flame off. Teams are going to follow the rule of bring two, make one. Instead of the teams having 2 days to complete the piece at the convention center, they will now have one day to assemble and complete their piece. 3 teams go one day, 3 teams go the next day. The pieces should be much bigger/nicer since they will be able to work from their own space on 2/3 of it.
      sick-e
      dankbudz -
      I want to go again . Had a killer time last year.
      Marc Kornbluh -
      Had a fantastic time.

Thanks Nick for the great organization -- thanks Greg and Dave the boys for the enormous work setting up the lines and keeping things safe and smooth, and thanks again to Alison for keeping the demo's rolling. I heard the glass we produced raised more than $15,000 for the local food shelf!

See you next year,

Marc Kornbluh
      High Volume Oxygen

Featured Member's Spotlight!
    Pogo Blackfire Glassworks Wesley Fleming Whipkey Glass Bullet Proof Glass No Coast Glass
    Donate to our forum!