The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

• 3 things you wish you knew while getting started with lampworking

You'll have to forgive me if a thread like this one exists, however, after using the search function, I still couldn't find a similar thread. Whups.

Anyways, I think this thread is pretty self-explanatory-- what are 3 [or more, if you choose to add on] things you really wish you had knowledge of prior to getting started or while getting started with the world of glass? Bonus points for any stories about overcoming challenges and lessons learned.

Anything goes from anyone, whether you've been on the torch for three hundred years or even just three weeks-- any contribution will be sincerely appreciated.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 3 things you wish you knew while getting started with lampworking started by Beast View original post
    Comments 74 Comments
      themoch -
      1) if stuff is breaking step away. Never smash your piece or get pissy, let it cool down and look it over to get a better lesson on what you did wrong. Keep the worst/most frequent mistakes on top of your kiln as a constant reminder. Glass doesn't like to be rushed.

2) if the day seems to be getting off to a crappy or slow start you probably A) didn't eat enough B) don't have the right music or it's not loud enough C) There's too little alcohol/coffee in your blood

3) Learn you are not the best no matter how much you learn. focus on simple small things and make 100 of them before claiming mastery. I have seen people who can make 3 objects like a freaking champ and are 1000% more respected than people who can make a ton of stuff but do it like a jabroni.
      TlkQ -
      Moch, number 2 is too true. So many times I've had a day start going down hill then realized I hadn't eaten in 10 hours. Now I bring snacks to the studio with me. Really helps.
      HeartBurnGlass -
      keep a first aid kit, or at least some paper towels handy, glass makes clean cuts and even the smallest one can bleed FOREVER. nothing like having to cauterize a wound with a hot rod cuz your bleeding all over the place and have no way to clean up.

If your leaving your shop all light headed and dizzy your ventilation isnt doing its job

Gold and silver fume can be used in many different ways and is much cheaper than color rod, it also looks awesome over cobalt
      JBob -
      cauterizing wounds at the bench? epic as fuck...
      PyroChixRock -
      I don't have 3 this time, just one more to add for now.

Glass is like anger management, so if you know someone angry at life get them to blow glass. They will either be tamed by her, or she will win and they will become redundantly angry at glass.
      funksizzle -
      I like the leaving most recent mistakes on top of the kiln idea. Beats paper, as you would have to remember that you even have paper in your pocket! I suppose they're like flashcards.

Lightheaded and dizzy? What about leaving the shop sleeping?
      LRG -
      1)Foot pedals are truly bad ass.
      2)Gtt's are worth every pennie.
      3)How much time marble molds save.
      Chris Juedemann -
      Stupid questions
      New Orleans
      The wires needed to clean GTT ports
      Tzonis -
      1. Do something else if you want to be rich
      2. Order everything in bulk
      3. Stockpile work
      hedcraft -
      1. Anyone can do it once. If you want to make it, learn to do it a hundred times exactly the same.
      2. Keep your ego in check. It sucks so bad when someone else has to do it for you.
      3. If you can't handle occasionally being called a talentless sack of crap by both strangers and idols, you have no business being in the art world.
      istandalone24/7 -
      loving this thread! so many viewpoints!!
      Ikensel -
      If its Hippie chicks that got you into glass they will keep you in it. They love all your work !

Shorts are inexpensive peices of random unknown glass and inexpensive because theyre random unknown peices of glass. Invest in LB, 1/2's or QP of know entity and hit it with the correct flame. Much less frustrating on days when your work looks good or bad.

Making a bunch of beautiful objects is not nearly as hard as making a bunch of beautifull objects dissapear (for cash).
      OracleGlassArts -
      this thread is great everyone thanks for sharing. i have to reiterate good ventilation and keeping your area clean and well lit. besides that here are my 3 quick responses:

diamond shears (but being able to peel open is important too)

flame annealing during assembly/bridges and a hand torch

for joining two things together whether it be blowtubes or sections of encalmo: get everything even walled and square as well as flared/shrunk to the same size and get the them both equally hot but not to hot the finish up after its set/bridged (if it calls for a bridge)
      Jenx -
      I've been blowing glass now for about a year now and foucs most of my energy making pipes.....so any tools, kilns ect. kinda comes for this perspective and I hope this helps.

1. Not all glass schools give you what you pay for...... But being humble and finding other lampworkers to work with you, you can always learn something of great value. (And at this time I personally like to thank...most...of you here...lol...what I'm a lampworker just keeping it real. Honestly I understand you all help me to feed my family and the gift of your knowledge is greatly appreciated.)

2. Buy a GTT. Alot of guys have them and can help you learn how to use them. BUT learn how to use it first....See first hand what kind of flame will get you in trouble and to aviod even going there by someone who ownes one!!! PART II You will still need a hand torch save your money get a smithy like the one they sell one Mt.Glass. It's cheap like 150ish and works like a champ!!!

AND THIS ONE IS GOLD....

3. YOU WILL NEVER GET BLACK BELTS RESULTS WITHOUT PUTTING IN BLACK BELT HOURS. Sorry there is no secret to blowing glass thats going to help you and your work become better other than time on the torch. NEVER give up. Your going to get burnt, cut, frustrated, and pissed off. Hang in there.
      graymanandy -
      1. Make sure your protective eyeware is appropriate to what You are doing.
      2. Torchwork is fun, Sales blow.
      3. Bees can fly in through the "out" side of a fan. (Don't ask, just run)
      loydb -
      Throwing out one more I haven't seen yet (and this thread should be stickied).

Learn how to test for (and set) a neutral flame
      CoyleCondenser -
      1. Straight rollers
      2. Blowhose
      3. Handtorch

^ I guess those would be for after you had a little experience though..... If you're just getting started though: 1, 2, & 3 = go to Salem CC.
      steak351 -
      learn everything
      scientific is great
      use the search
      Beast -
      There are so many wonderful and varied responses in this thread! Keep em coming guys! (: There is a myriad of wealth here.
      Torch-Bug -
      !. clear is your friend.
      @. Color is expensive
      #. make 100 or them for a good start

Featured Member's Spotlight!
    Pogo Blackfire Glassworks Wesley Fleming Whipkey Glass Bullet Proof Glass No Coast Glass
    Donate to our forum!