The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Flame Off 07

Default Flame Off 07

Hey everybody

I am the lampworking shop Manager for the Sonoran Glass Art Academy and i was hoping to get some feedback on the Flame Off that was held here on Feb 2.

If you would be kind enough to post your thoughts or questions about the event it would help me greatly. Some of the specific qustions i have are: how the event went, what areas could we use improvement, what your favorite part or aspect of the event was, and weather or not you would recomend this event to your freinds to attend next year.

I am hoping to make the event better next year and your opinions could help me greatly.

Default Re: Flame Off 07

I thought there were huge improvements from previous years. The only thing that I didn't like were all of the bleachers. It was crowded and if you couldn't get a seat you had to stand way off to the side or get yelled at. If there were a section of bleachers in the middle and the rest was all standing I think more people could see well and still socialize and move around.
    The only other thing that I heard a lot of people talking about was that the glass was nice to see at the best bead show in the past. Most of the people from the event were involved with the best bead show and would have liked to see and bid on the glass in the morning and it is hard to get to the Sonoran and then to the show. Other than those small issues, job well done, very well done. I have hosted 2 large flameoffs myself and I know how many things have to come together to make them successful. By the way this is Devin, I rented some hot shop time a couple days before the flameoff with Margaret Zinser. Again, great job this year with the event.

I agree it was very crowded and without the bleachers more people could fit in the space more comfordably .I also did not get to see the judging because I was at the to bead true blue bead show . Had a great time and got to meet and hangout with some awsome folks in our community. I will defanatly be there next year .When can I sighn up to enter the compotision or do I just need to show up early the day of the event?

I agree that the size of the crowd was one of our largest problems this year, and currently i am looking into several ways to try to accommodate the crowd, one of the ideas presented me were bleachers twice as tall, also someone suggested that the walkways would be better behind the bleaches so the crowd could not obstruct the walkway in fron of the bleachers or the view of those in the bleachers. i have even considered attempting a circular format that would place the competitors in a "center stage" with viewing all around. However at this stage absolutely nothing is certain.

As far as official information about next years event keep an eye on our website, as it will be the place were you will find up to date information on when it will be and how to enter.

Thank You I will keep checking your site for info.

HOT CARL!!!!!! What up tp the main man with the plan down in Tucson. This was my fourth year competing an competitor wise it was lots of fun. I humbly ask for maybe a few more inches of table space since most everyone was running large GTT's. I almost caught Filip Vogelpohl's cactus bowl in the neck... But anyways it was fun. Any word on the judging situation for next year?? I know its SUPER UGLY right now politically but rest easy because great people have your back. We have a year to sort through all these egos and get back on track so let me know if you need anything from me. Thanks for all the hard work and big ups to your team as well.

This event has succeeded so long and so well because of the communal nature of our industry. The posistive vibe created by your hard work is felt across the country and resonates long after your flameoff is over for the year. I would hate to see it lose that spririt of friendship. Its hard enough to do your "best" work in public without a vibe of animosity. We all need each other and I think its time we bring back the air of professional courtesy that got this event off the ground in the first place.

Peace.
    Last edited by Jones Art Glass; 02-24-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Had more time to finish....
    Rashan Omari Jones

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jones Art Glass Albuquerque, NM
    JonesArtGlass@Gmail.com

What's up hot Carl. I didn't realize that was you. BIG UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Jones Art Glass View Post
    This was my fourth year competing an competitor wise it was lots of fun. I humbly ask for maybe a few more inches of table space since most everyone was running large GTT's. I almost caught Filip Vogelpohl's cactus bowl in the neck...
    As far as Artist space goes I agree that more is needed. this year we had added 8', but divided amoung 16 artists the effect was minimal. However, I am trying to find a way to accomodate a minimum of 4' per artist; though I may have to remove a few competitive slots to accomplish this.

But anyways it was fun. Any word on the judging situation for next year??
    It is too early to know anything about judging yet, however I am hoping to gather a group of celebrity judges if I can. "Suggestions welcome"

I know it's SUPER UGLY right now politically but rest easy because great people have your back. We have a year to sort through all these egos and get back on track so let me know if you need anything from me. Thanks for all the hard work and big ups to your team as well.

This event has succeeded so long and so well because of the communal nature of our industry. The posistive vibe created by your hard work is felt across the country and resonates long after your flameoff is over for the year. I would hate to see it lose that spririt of friendship. Its hard enough to do your "best" work in public without a vibe of animosity. We all need each other and I think its time we bring back the air of professional courtesy that got this event off the ground in the first place.
    Again, I agree with you fully. As an event that revolves around brining the glass community together, I truly am disheartend to see how we have been pulled apart by politics. And, though the road ahead looks like a rough one, I am sure that by working together as a community we can emerge the stronger for it.

Also it gives me great hope to have a talented artist like you to work with, I will always happily welcome any advise or wisdom that you can share with me .

This was my second year at the flameoff. I was disappointed at the lack of space this year. It seemed like it was more crowded than last year, but that could be my perception because the room was rearranged. We got sort of shuffled through from the front door right out the back door, and were told to keep moving. I was also bummed that the work was not displayed at the Best Bead Show as in the past. I never got to see any of the work close-up and personal. I've enjoyed that in the past. Whatever, I'll be there next year. Thank you for putting it on, and thanks to the competitors for being part of it.