The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Score!

Default Score!

I scored a triple this week. I started checking other oxygen supply places and found one that not only exchanges K tanks for $10, half of what my current place charges....They also upgraded my 125 tank to a K tank at no charge. Then the guy tells me he has a customer trying to unload 5 K tanks because new DOT laws limit the size tanks his company can keep on their trucks. I snagged all 5 for $525 and they are full tanks. So now we have 7 K tanks which makes the 27 mile round trip to get them filled for $10 each more economical and eventually when we are ready we can trade in those tanks towards a deposit for a liquid tank.

I wonder if there's a way I can manifold some of those tanks together so instead of switching the regulator every time a tank goes dry I can run say 3 or 4 tanks together and just shut one off and turn the next on when one goes dry.

Default Re: Score!

Bro ,.. get liquid, save yourself MANY trips!!!! and many dollars

um grave they have crane crates that have like 16 K tanks on it..... there all manifolded ask em they should carry plumbing

they sell manilods for multiple tanks at airgas last i checked. peace brett

they make them in six packs with rollers on them around here.... there has to be something small to run them though.. ive never thought about it and now i want something just to run 2.. lol.

thats what i like about new guys, they think of things that people like me that have been blowing for over 10 years dont... lol

with a manifold you just turn all the tanks on and use them as one large tank - not turn one on as one goes empty.

$10 / fill isn't too bad on a full size K tank - but I think liquid would still be cheaper.

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Problem with liquid for us right now is we need a loading dock as the bigger truck with the liftgate cannot get to where we are and his little 1 ton liftgate cannot handle the 1,200lb tank. Also I don't wanna mess with liquid until the new studio is done since it has an outbuilding for the tank and we'll need the volume more as I hope to have another torch by then (we are sharing a phantom right now). But liquid is in the works, prolly gonna be 6 months away though. The tanks will work well until then.

Oh yeah, the multiple tank thing here is called a cradle and holds 12 or 16 tanks. But the guy worked it up and it would be even less economically feasable than liquid. And upon further thought the manifold idea is prolly gonna be more trouble than it's worth. It only takes a min to change a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by gravdigr View Post
    It only takes a min to change a tank.
    Yeah, but if it runs out in the middle of a nice piece. . .

I once had my k-tank run out on a coilpot of plum kush. . .I had like two full sticks into it already, then the oxy ran out, gradually changing it to a reduction flame and destroying my coilpot. . .I got pissed, changed the tank and worked on some other stuff. At the end of that night, I started working on a new coilpot (for the same thing) and it happened again! Should've paid more attention. . .

Now I got a dewar, and I'm a happy guy.

i didnt do a manifold, just got high pressure hose and fittings from welding supply to pony together, only 2 tanks though.
    ro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oxy system smaller pic 640.jpg  
    Rosanne Wellmaker
    RosGlassWorld.com

[QUOTE=his little 1 ton liftgate cannot handle the 1,200lb tank. .[/QUOTE]

1 ton=2000 lbs
    "Reason well from the beginning and then there will never be any need to look back with confusion and doubt."
    H. H. the Dalai Lama

My Glass

liquid delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    1 ton=2000 lbs
    ....please dont confuse the issue with facts.

where i get 02 as long as the tank(s) are back by the last work day of the month there is no rental charge, just the cost of a fill. no need for me to own them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosglassworld View Post
    i didnt do a manifold, just got high pressure hose and fittings from welding supply to pony together, only 2 tanks though.
    ro
    nice pic ro, just one question. what is the deal with the little black hose in the bottom right hand corner?
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mermonkey View Post
    nice pic ro, just one question. what is the deal with the little black hose in the bottom right hand corner?
    that was my question as well...

i get confused easily with facts and figures...

especially with a female figure in my view...

no one can take the kid out of this adult...lol...
    (at 48, i'm still only 14 and a half)
    "You were born an original,
    don't die a copy."

loosing my mind was easy,
    finding it will be the task...

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    1 ton=2000 lbs
    no no, 1 ton truck. A liftgate on a little 1 ton truck cannot handle the weight of the tank. Their 5 ton truck liftgate can but it is too long to manuver around up here.

You could always use a dedicated trailer and just leave it on there.

Blog Entries

i don't know how far you are from the road but i've seen liquid tank sheds that are pretty far from the shop.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

i dont know your shop situation grav, but i do know they will deliver almost anywhere, i live in the middle of nowhere, and even after them dumping there truck ito the ditch last year and needing a crane to get it out they still deliver!!
    they back in down my tiny driveway where they only have like a f00t on either side or else!! i open my garge door they lower it down on there gate then BAM!!
    i dont have to change tanks for another 3 weeks! no need to buy tanks, 1$ a day rental. it seems to work out!
    I have to say i also like the idea of a dedicated trailer you use and just leave the tank on it outside your shop!
    changing K tanks is a pain in the ass if you ask me!!

Yep...they'll even deliver to my hovel out in the middle of the sticks, down three dirt roads, through the overhanging tree limbs....those folks are serious about delivering.

Changing tanks isn't too bad, and it's only for a few months. Liquid will be coming but prolly not until fall when we hope to go full time. We are part time for the most part right now. WIsh I could find a place that rents liquid tanks for only $1 a day. Cheapest around here is about $3 a day when you factor in deposit cost and refill cost. And when we do go to liquid our K tanks will be accepted towards the liquid tank deposit.