The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pyrex vs. Simax (how color react I/O)

Icon5 Pyrex vs. Simax (how color react I/O)

hello....Im kinda new to this forum....(this is my first post).....I have been lampworking for 4 years now... I'm self taught with very minimal contact with other lampworkers outside of my Contemporary Lampworking book. Both wonderful and Horrible....Needless to say..this forum has been very inspiring to me and has helped vocabulary of techniques grow tremendously..>>(thanx to all of you)>>>

ANYWAYS........MY QUESTION/COMMENT IS: I have worked with mostly pyrex 20 MM HW, 1" HW, and 38mm HW.... I recently bought some Simax and have noticed a large difference in the way the colors react with the clear on I/O applications, especially I/O frit.......The colors seem to burn (wash out) less with Simax (yeilding brighter colors). This is a both a good thing and a bad thing. Because with exotic colors, the pyrex will allow the colors to change and fume(yielding amazing results) but with the simax the colors dont change at all, (sometimes boring)..........Its kinda like honeycombs....I do believe that pyrex allows for more crystal growth with fumed on color

I have never used other glass companies. How do colors react with UST, Schott, and others......I would like to buy some Schott but was wondering how the colors will react. I find this topic extremely interesting as it greatly affects the outcome of much of my I/O work. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.....

And once again, Thanx to everyone on the forum. Sharing knowledge is a beuatiful thing, and you should all be proud of being so helpfull. Hopefully along the way I will be able to share some of my Kooky self taught techniques which I created due to my own ignorance. (Wish I would have been a little more interested in educating myself through means such as this forum)...

-Willllllllllllllllll

Default Re: Pyrex vs. Simax (how color react I/O)

well I havent used Pyrex in a long time but i hear that the old stuff worked great for honey combs and i can understand what your saying about the growth simax doesnt do the same i have just got some of the new schott A and cant give a full answer on what it will do for that but i have talked to a few people that say its the Bomb ..... ust low cost what more can i say for that one
    I would say order a case of shcott from some one there are some good sales on it now try it out peace Jeff
    Pres and founding member of Noah
    new memebers wanted

schott is the shizle!!! looking for crystal growth, schottt i s where its at . I ve used pyrex fro honey combs, and love how clean the where but , i'll probly never use pyrex again. textbook fumeing everytime.
    i dont know about the exotics. PEACE!!

schott ba flows so nice and is pretty forgiving (compared to simax)