The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: glass piece w/ metal thread

Default glass piece w/ metal thread

I hope that I can properly explain what I mean here, but if not, then I will draw some sort of picture to better help illustrate it. I am wanting to stick a 'bit' into some glass to have a very small threaded stainless steel end sticking out so that it may screw in properly to a small stainless steel piece. Does anyone know how I should go about this?I feel like it would be hard to push the bit in just right so that when I went to heat it up flush to reduce any indentation, it would sit flush with where the threading began on the outside. Perhaps it would be better to drill a hole in the glass and set the metal threading in with epoxy. any feedback?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glass.bmp  

Default Re: glass piece w/ metal thread

Nver tried it, but will one day.

I'm just guessing but I'd try the drilling and epoxy method first.

They make a brass (or steel) insert for placing into woodwork items that has a fairly large diameter, wood screw thread on outside, and a "machine screw" thread in inside.... Check out local hardware store in "fasteners" dept..... Only problem may be the brass may not withstand the heat of the torch/glass while working it and it may distort or just melt. OR there may be a compatibility issue and the "insert" may cause glass "object" to crack...

http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html

Maybe something like these...

If they melt or it does not work inserting them into hot glass, leave hole where you want insert and epoxy it in as "Joker" suggests..

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 07-06-2007 at 08:18 PM.

did you draw that pic?

uuuummmmm, i know they sell the hardwar for cabinet pull's somewhere.
    if you search cabinet knobs, knobs, or shift knobs on the gldg search you should find all the info ya need.

Blog Entries

you can build your piece of glass on the end of a mandrel more easily than you can drill it out. two part uv glue seems to be the local favorite for bonding the hardware to the glass. here's a link to the hardware for a screw tap;
    http://www.aftosa.com/kwh.html
    you can also glue a flat backed piece of glass onto a threaded piece of metal as mr. selchow recommends in this thread;
    http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthr...are#post179762
    good luck
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

sweet thanks for the ideas. i guess it will pretty much just be experimentation. abr has some sort of epoxy that they are calling glass epoxy. Do you reckon that would work?
    and ya, misled youth, i drew the picture in paint program really quick.

I made cabinet knobs and used threaded inserts... I've already typed up a long explanation on how its done on the old board, but the short version is that you can wrap the glass around a pure copper tube, and then cut the tupe leaving a recess with copper in it. Then thread a fine thread screw into it and use a dremel to cut off the head.

Or you can build your gather over a solid copper rod and use the appropriate die to cut threads into the soft copper. This is probably the best way.

Well, for my particular purpose, it is important that the threaded insert be made of stainless steel or titanium. Copper simply won't do. also the insert will be about 1.6mm in diameter, so really small!

sounds like someone's making body jewelry....... Good luck
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.