The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: newbie questions please help

Default newbie questions please help

ok first one is probably stupid but i am getting frost on my oxy. regulator and flash arrestor i am running around 20 psi out is the frost normal is there something i need to do?
    secound i am getting carbon built up on the face of the torch i poked around in the holes with the oxy running to try and clean it out and it worked for a while but still came back. what should i do about this?
    last i am using a sargent welch torch for those of you who dont know what this is it looks alot like a carlisle with out the heat exchanger and i am running 5 psi propane 20psi oxy does this sound about right or should it be adjusted?

thanks in advace for all of your help

peace

Default Re: newbie questions please help

the carbon is normal just clean it off and maybe dont use a reduced flame all the time. and the regs? i dont get frost on my regs? were they brand new. if so just check for leaks or make sure u tightened it up enough. couldnt tell ya about that.
    random naked girl in bed: " hey glenn i have a question for you, what do you do or a living?" glenn: " well ive got a question for you, what are you still doing here?" giggety giggety

Brian Burge

ya the regs are new and i tight i used some teflon tape to get a good seal im wonder if it has ne thing to do with the weather im in iowa and it was about 50 degrees tonight and humid the tank was also cold at the top but no frost on the tank.........not sure hope nothin is wrong has ne one had this problem?

that all sounds fine and normal.. the frost builds up when you use alot of oxy...

I concur with the frost build up. We have it happen sometimes (5 people on a 240 liquid running hard will do that).

-tz

Blog Entries

the high temp has been in the 50's around here lately and merlin and i made enough snow on out dewar yesterday for a snowball fight. as for the carbon buildup, it might just be dirty propane. try another source, hopefully a place that goes through a lot so that you're more likely to get fresh.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013